Photo

Peter Jopp RIP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:08

Sad news received that Peter Jopp has passed away. Peter was a great competitor in races and rallies during the late fifties and sixties as well as being one of the real motor racing characters of the period.

Peter attended the British Grand Prix last month and was pleased to see old friends again.

He will be sadly missed.

Advertisement

#2 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:32

Really sorry to hear that as he was in great form at the Silverstone Classic less than three weeks ago and we had one of our usual amusing conversations about him and his father "Pop" Jopp coming up to Glasgow to take part in the Monte Carlo Rally about fifty years ago and his days in Formula III. He was always a very helpful guy and will be sadly missed at the BRDC.

#3 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:33

Sad to see the passing of another of the old Lotuseers .

#4 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:49

Sad news indeed...

Is time playing tricks on me, or was there a Dickie Stoop who co-drove with Peter Jopp in an AC Bristol at Le Mans?

Maybe I have got it all wrong, but whenever I see or hear of Peter Jopp, I think of the name Dickie Stoop.......please help me with my grip, or otherwise, on reality.

Derek

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:20

Jopp and Stoop shared a Frazer Nash in the 1957 Le Mans, and a Triumph in the 1959 race.

Dickie Stoop has his own thread:

Dickie Stoop (merged)

#6 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:30

Thanks very much Tim

I see somebody on that thread had the same issue as I had.......Jopp and Stoop had stuck in his mind as it had in mine for years....he said it sounded like a vaudeville act ....sounded more like a firm of dodgy solicitors to me..thanks for clearing it up

and maybe Jopp and Stoop are re-united again now in a better place......

Derek

#7 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:19

He raced a front wheel drive Emeryson in 500cc Formula 3

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 14:41

Peter Jopp was very highly regarded as being an extremely entertaining character as well as a good driver in his day. To the best of my recollection he had no peer as one of the leading-light organisers and co-presenter of the Cliff Davis 'Grand Night of Filth' events through the early 1960s. He could work an audience brilliantly and have them in stitches with laughter. His essentially mime 'John Glenn' joke during the pioneering years of spaceflight was an unfortgettable classic.

He was also quite a wheeler-dealer. I remember him telling me once how he had talked Graham Hill into having a go at the Monte Carlo Rally at the start of what proved to be Graham's World Championship year in 1962. If I recall correctly he talked the Rootes Group into offering Graham fifty quid to participate, and then talked one of the TV companies into parting with another fifty quid to film their Rally. "Graham thought I was a genius!", he declared, triumphantly.

Goodness me, whatever passes for the local law upstairs must be having an uproarious time right now...

God speed Joppie. And sincere condolences - of course - to his family.

DCN

#9 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 16:20

I was very sorry to read of his passing. I had the pleasure of speaking to him on the 'phone a little while ago in relation to a former car of his that I currently own and it was certainly an entertaining conversation. I am sorry that I didn't see him at the Silverstone Classic (or even know that he was there) as it would have been nice to reacquaint him with the car which was out in public for the first time for a few years. RIP.

#10 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 20:36

:(

#11 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:02

From this website are the following two photos showing the late Peter Jopp eight years ago (at age 72).
Posted Image
Posted Image
In the bottom one he is alongside Peter Procter (70), Peter Harper (78, deceased in August 2003) and Ronnie Adams (84, deceased in April 2004) with two works Rapiers.

#12 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 16:45

From the Telegraph today.
Funeral and Service of Thanksgiving at 1.30 pm on Wednesday 27th August at St Michael and All Angels Church, Barnes, SW13 ONX. Donation in lieu of flowers to the Springfield Youth Club c/o T.H Saunders, 35 High Street, Barnes SW13 3LP

#13 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:11

I was checking some info for the Tour of Britain thread and came across the below photo. I met Mr Jopp quite a few times in the BRDC with my late Dad and he always remembered me and said hello, lovely chap and I'm sure he will be sorely missed.

Posted Image