Photo

Renault 2009 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
1550 replies to this topic

#1 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:29

So...while my head was still spinning from the announcement that The Evil Dwarf was dropping the Canadian Grand Prix :mad: , I noticed this tidbit right near the bottom of the story,

"It was further unanimously agreed to allow Formula One teams to equalise engine performance across the field for 2009..."

Sounds like good news for the yellows, given Flavio's recent moanings about lack of parity. It's looking increasingly like Fred will stay put as I really don't expect him to go to Honda no matter how much Ross sweet talks him.

So for 2009 Renault looks to have engine parity, the Fred factor, and a chance to gain some lost ground due to the revised technical regs. I'd say it's looking a bit more promising than it was a while back. I'd like this thread to serve for any discussion about Renault's 09 chances, car, line up, etc, much like the BMW '09 thread does for the blue & white.

Allow me to say it again: Engine parity, yessss!! :up: This is what they've needed to hear. Go Flav & Fred.

Advertisement

#2 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:35

Nando = 2009 WDC ;)

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:51

wonder if the engines can still be devloped after the "equalisation"?

wonder how slow a certain grey car will be in a straight line next year :/

#4 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:23

Having an equal powerplant is no gurantee for title in '09 since there is always KERS.

For Fernando though Renault was the only sensible option, better to stay with a known team rather than jump to another team that has no better chance to build a title capable car next season.

Who will be FA's teammate though? :confused:

#5 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:31

I'm sure Ferrari and Macca will find some loopholes. But it would be great to see Renualt back at the front again next year.

#6 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:40

Of late their performance has seen an upturn and I am sure they have found some pace with the engine.

I think the fact that the car was very good at Singapore indicates that it isn't far off the best in terms of torque but on fast circuits where top end is a must - like the long straight in China ...they will be a bit behind.

Either way I think for 2009 Renault will be one of the favourites alongwith BMW to catch up Ferrari and McLaren. The x-factor will be Alonso. Only he can drive that Renault. Its exactly what is happening at Ducati in MotoGP. Only Casey Stoner can extract that performance from the bike. None of his team-mates can match him. Likewise with Nando and Renault. :up:

#7 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:46

Originally posted by Craven Morehead
Allow me to say it again: Engine parity, yessss!! :up: This is what they've needed to hear. Go Flav & Fred. [/B]

next step would be to allow equal downforce levels, equal drag levels....etc

#8 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:58

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

GP2.

#9 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:59

Its looking increasingly like Fred is staying put. I wonder why he doesn't just say so?

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/71232

So really its down to Renault & Honda. No way he's going to Honda, is there? I'd love to see him stay at Renault and be part of a turnaround in form on their part. More teams near the front the better.

#10 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:40

Alonso will only decide about it after the season, he now wants to focus on the remaining three races.

The only options the Spaniard has left are Honda and Toro Rosso.

Brawn is only willing to sign a one year contract on certain conditions. Alonso would only be set free at the end of 2009 in case the season has been as disastrous as the current one.

Tost wouldn't even dare to dream of taking up Alonso in his team: ''I would take Alonso straight away, regardless for how long. But our team is much too small to be attractive for him.''

#11 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:55

Its looking increasingly like Fred is staying put. I wonder why he doesn't just say so?

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/71232

So really its down to Renault & Honda. No way he's going to Honda, is there? I'd love to see him stay at Renault and be part of a turnaround in form on their part. More teams near the front the better.

I wonder if he's hoping to see some 2009-spec cars testing before he decides? What's coming up? The Portugal test, any others?

#12 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:41

Fernando and the team are both very good at dealing with new challenges.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/71193

Well 2009 is gonna be a new challenge for everyone car wise so its looking good.

#13 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:57

Ferrari, Toro Rosso, and Force India all have engine equivalence this year so there's no guarantee of any success.

#14 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:08

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Ferrari, Toro Rosso, and Force India all have engine equivalence this year so there's no guarantee of any success.

A strong engine will be important next year though, since the cars will be much less aero-dependent.

#15 taran

taran

• 4,466 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:24

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

I think you are unable or unwilling to see the full picture here. The teams were ALREADY supposed to have engine parity, based on 2006 levels. Only certain teams didn't quite follow the spirit of that rule, creating an unequal playing field. Other teams are not allowed to close that gap, hence the justified moaning.

If engine development was unrestricted (as it was before), each team would have to take its chances and hope their engine was best or try to improve their engine. But since that is no longer the case, making sure the playing field is indeed equal is the next best thing.

#16 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 14:28

nice post Taran :up: , that's exactly what I was getting at in the OP, although I may not have been clear enough. However, you summed it up much better.

#17 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 00:38

Originally posted by taran

I think you are unable or unwilling to see the full picture here. The teams were ALREADY supposed to have engine parity, based on 2006 levels. Only certain teams didn't quite follow the spirit of that rule, creating an unequal playing field. Other teams are not allowed to close that gap, hence the justified moaning.

If engine development was unrestricted (as it was before), each team would have to take its chances and hope their engine was best or try to improve their engine. But since that is no longer the case, making sure the playing field is indeed equal is the next best thing.

:up:

#18 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,391 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 14:15

I'm also wondering that, too. Doesn't make much sense. Unless there's something we don't know.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 14:35

Where in the engine rules did it mention anything about parity? AFAIK that was never on the table, and most of us could see the stupidity of the engine freeze meaning that the team with the best engine would have an advantage for that period.

The fact that some teams have improved their engines by following the rules is what F1 has always been about. Those that sit back and do nothing will inevitably gravitate to the back of the grid.

What I would like to know is how they will equalize the engines. Is it allowing those down on power to improve their engines, or will they drag the better engines down to a lower level?

Advertisement

#20 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 18:44

Two translated Q&A's with Symonds:

Q: Next year there are a whole lot of changes in the regulations. Does this lead to you presenting the car earlier than usual ?
Symonds: ''We will drive with the new car at the first official test in the second week of January. The car will be ready shortly before christmas, we use the time (in between (?)) to carry out tests on the benches and so on.''

Q: What do your simulations say about the loss in downforce ? The aim was to reduce the downforce levels by 50%...
Symonds: ''It should be made clear that a 50% reduction was the aim because they knew that the teams would regain downforce again. With 50% less downforce you'd be around 5 seconds a lap slower. In the end we will surely come back again to the old speeds.''

''I even think we'll be a bit faster. We thought we would gain 8% more grip because of the slicks but the ones we've tested lately offer an increase of 11%.''

#21 united

united

• 814 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 20:37

The only team that was not able to benefit from the new rules was Renault, and others cannot be blamed for their decision to lay-off personnel in motoring department. Besides, Renault is having quite a lot of problems with KERS, hence constant attempts to postpone the introduction by Flavio.

Besides, logic dictates that in 2006 not every engine was equal, so the 'freeze' does not automatically stipulate that everyone is suddenly on one level.

FIA just sucked big time again, and you don't have to call WMSC to find out who should be blamed. Mosley's ill-thought policies have been plaguing F1 for years. It took FIA 2 years to understand that the rule was a complete and utter failure.

#22 andreaglass

andreaglass

• 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 22:21

Originally posted by united

Renault is having quite a lot of problems with KERS, hence constant attempts to postpone the introduction by Flavio.

But Renault is not working on KERS. They just ordered it to Magneti Marelli, as well as some other teams.

The reason for Flavio's attempts to postpone is not the KERS itself, but the way it manages with the ECU, as some teams are facing problems on this area. In facts almost every team except one.

#23 ForMules

ForMules

• 365 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:08

Originally posted by andreaglass

But Renault is not working on KERS. They just ordered it to Magneti Marelli, as well as some other teams.

The reason for Flavio's attempts to postpone is not the KERS itself, but the way it manages with the ECU, as some teams are facing problems on this area. In facts almost every team except one.

:up:

#24 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:57

Still, even if you buy KERS from a company like Magneti Marelli there's an awful lot to do yourself I reckon.

I'm not sure about the ECU: surely teams may still not be able to use it as efficiently as their own ECU's from the past, but I don't think it is still posing so much of a problem now. At least you hardly hear as much about it compared to the winter and the first part of the season.

I thought Renault is to introduce KERS late (as will Toyota) because they're not willing to put the time and money in building a hybrid car, instead they prefer benchtesting and simulations for as long as possible to then debut the device in the new car. From the various comments I've read I'm even beginning to fear if Ferrari is considering doing the same, since they appear to be the worst team off regarding KERS at the moment...thank god the system isn't compulsory.

#25 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:58

Can someone write down which teams are developing KERS by themself, and which 'order' them from third-party companies?

#26 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:35

Originally posted by AFCA
I'm not sure about the ECU: surely teams may still not be able to use it as efficiently as their own ECU's from the past, but I don't think it is still posing so much of a problem now. At least you hardly hear as much about it compared to the winter and the first part of the season.

Marmorini just said there's still a lot to learn related to MES ECU for them. I guess it's more or less similar situation in every other team except one.

#27 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:15

Magneti marelli is not delivering the entire KERS. They are not delivering the energy storage units (battery, capacitor or flywheel). Teams will have to work that out themselves.
Magneti Marelli will mainly provide electronics and electronics control systems for KERS.

#28 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 19:48

Toso said back in Dec 07 that new CFD centre "will concentrate of the design of the 2009 car".

Maybe they used him for development of R28 a bit?

#29 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 21:35

thought Renault is to introduce KERS late (as will Toyota) because they're not willing to put the time and money in building a hybrid car, instead they prefer benchtesting and simulations for as long as possible to then debut the device in the new car.

They did the same with the new V8 in 2006 if you remember. Everyone was saying they were making a big mistake as all the other teams had track tested it in 2005, yet when it final debuted with the new car it ran smooth as butter.

#30 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:16

So Autosport is reporting now that Alonso will announce on Wednesday that he's staying put. Coincidently, Renault will announce the drivers on Wednesday also, so I'd say its pretty certain at this point. On current form, they're looking pretty good for next year, I'd think. I know the damn rules changes could mean a real shakeup in the order, but I think Fernando and Renault have found their groove again. Could be some more good stuff to come from them next year. Here's hoping :up:

#31 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:43

Originally posted by AFCA

However, in 2009 KERS could be the decisive factor. Toyota wants to do without it (they in any case won't be introducing it any earlier than the middle of the season). Honda, BMW and Mercedes have made reasonable progress. Ferrari (+ STR and Force India) and Renault (+ RBR) are dependent on Magneti Marelli and so far have a problem. The first version of the electro engine was a flop. The KERS project is going to be tight for both manufacturers in case it turns out that in December the second version isn't working either.

Symonds: ''Our car is build for employing KERS. At the moment we're laminating the first prototypes of the R29 chassis. It has been designed for KERS. We'd have to change the chassis design in case, in December, we're forced to decide whether or not to completely do without KERS. Then before the start of the season we'd at most be able to complete the manufacturing of three chassis'. We'd then have to push on with two other chassis' as quickly as possible. But that would all cost a pretty penny.''

Most of the teams will store the battery, electro engine and the control electronics in front of the engine, underneath the tank. You may be able to easily build-in and build-out the unit, but then what do you do with the space that becomes available in case you don't use the system ? Symonds: ''We may fill it up with ballast, but do we really want to have weight at that place ?''

#32 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:33

If KERS is going to be infront of the engine, does thid mean, that engine will be moved backward compared to this year, or will driver be moved forward.
I would gues, driver will be moved forward a bit, otherwise there will be a lot of oversteering.

#33 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:37

Originally posted by FA and RK fan
If KERS is going to be infront of the engine, does thid mean, that engine will be moved backward compared to this year, or will driver be moved forward.
I would gues, driver will be moved forward a bit, otherwise there will be a lot of oversteering.

Doubt there is any room to move the driver forward.

#34 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:37

just find some midgets to drive the F1 cars!

#35 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 13:07

well they can increase wheel base for a couple of inches. I don't know. We will see in 12 weeks.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 13:10

well they can increase wheel base for a couple of inches. I don't know. We will see in 12 weeks.

Does making the wheelbase longer mean the driver is moved forward or the engine back?;)

#37 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 16:25

Originally posted by Clatter

Does making the wheelbase longer mean the driver is moved forward or the engine back?;)

If rear wheels are move backward that also mean the wheelbase is longer and driver is sitting a bit more forward.

Hey that's my logic, i am not engineer or mechanic or designer.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 16:50

If rear wheels are move backward that also mean the wheelbase is longer and driver is sitting a bit more forward.

Hey that's my logic, i am not engineer or mechanic or designer.

Depends on if you are measuring from the front or the back.

#39 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 17:07

Originally posted by Clatter

Depends on if you are measuring from the front or the back.

i gues, but IIRC it was F2007 where they said, they put driver toward the rear. Or am i wrong. And i think they did it with longer front end and cockip. So i gues they could move driver forward with moving rear wheel backward.

go now, and give me a break :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wave: :smoking:

Advertisement

#40 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 18:01

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/72024

so if teams didn't want to have smaller front tyres, why didn't Bridgestone push for wider rears.

Or maybe front tyres should be harder.

#41 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:10

A few things:

-Who said the engine unfreeze rule will help engines equialise? Do you really think McLaren and Ferrari are keeping their engines the same so the others can catch up? Maybe I didn't understand properly. Is this rule made for every team except for both? If not I don't see why should other teams catch Ferrari/Macca in terms of engine power.

-Has anyone thought about how important the driver's weight can be? It has been said by Webber and we already saw a much more skinny Kubica (he is a tall guy). TV commentators always talk about the influence of X kilograms of fuel in laptimes in each circuit. But did anyone consider Massa is lighter than Raikkonen - and he's beaten him most of the times in qualy? Imagine a difference of 6 or 7kg between 2 drivers: it can be definitive. Massa lighter than RK, or LH lighter than Alonso maybe (he looks quite thin too). So talking about KERS, it is going to affect laptimes to because of its weight, you need to develop a really good system in order to have a significant gain. Maybe it's not even a positive factor to have KERS ready at the beginning of the season until it's well developed, and teams not implementing KERS are lighter and faster.

-Why do they call him Fred? I still don't know.

#42 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:47

On north american TV, Speed Channel's inimitable expat brit, David Hobbs, has taken to calling him 'Fred'. All the letters are contained in 'Fernando' and Hobbs likes to play at being a bit silly. Guess it has found its way into the BB lexicon. :)

#43 eibe

eibe

• 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 17:12

Geetings

I let you two interviews that IMHO I consider they can be of your interest. The former is an Denis Chevrier’s interview with the Spanish newspaper “Público” done some weeks ago.The latter is an Bob Bell ‘s interview with the French newspaper “L’Equipe”. I beg you to accept my sincere apologies for my poor English.

INTERVIEW with Denis Chevrier
"Alonso gives you the best solution"

The Renault F1 engine department director,recognizes the contribution of Spanish driver in the evolution of the R28.
With his eye-intellectual, he has an hippie air, evocative of the French May 68, a country where he was born 54 years ago. Denis Chevrier is director of the of Renault F1 engine department and owner of a brain where merge the ideas to improve the cars of Alonso and Piquet. He was in 2005 and 2006, when Briatore's team won the championships, and also the last two years, when the successes left the French team. Great admirer of the Spanish driver, reflects on what happened during the season that concludes the next day 2 in Brazil.

Denis Chevrier (DC)"In the engine, there have been no major changes, only we have improved some parts".

Q:"In China, have we seen the best Alonso again?"

DC:"Yes. He returned to make a fantastic qualifying and was able to give the maximum from the first meter of the race, staying just a few meters from the Ferrari. Despite losing the position to Kovalainen at the start, he had the talent to recover in what was, in my opinion, the best overtaking of the race. Throughout the season, Fernando had the intelligence enough to be most of the time behind the more powerful cars. And many times has been mixed among them, even taking a less powerful machine. He has a special ability to do so."

Q:"The R28 has improved greatly in recent races. Was it thanks to the engine or are there other things?"

DC:"In the engine, there have been no major changes. We've only optimized some components that facilitated us its use. I believe that the improvement of the R28 is due to a proper symbiosis between some aerodynamic developments, other features in the suspensions and those little things to which I referred to the engine, but not a single thing.
When all things are heading in the right direction in a race car, everything works fine, but if we have one that does not go in the right way, it complicates the proper running of the others. Although I must also emphasize that, without Fernando's input, we had not been able to reach certain technical conclusions, as it has guided us many times towards the best solution. He has an exceptional technical perception and that is something highly valued by engineers."

Q:"Is it so important for you to have a driver like that?"

DC:"Yes. From a technical standpoint, the engineers have all kinds of parameters that are supported by data and more data. But these technical resources don't make the car faster. When you have the support of a driver as Fernando, you can know which way to go without wasting time, optimizing resources and amplifying the improvement. After the car comes to track, it returns with the data that provides the technology, but when those data are combined with what Fernando says, the result is much better."

Q:"Something, I suppose, even more important in a year like 2008, when it has started using a common ECU in all cars".

DC:"Exactly!. During the winter, we were collecting an enormous amount of data difficult to digest. Besides, we were running without traction control for the first time in a long time. Thanks to Alonso, we could be putting everything into place, combining the data provided by the machines. It is a slow process, whith the aim to try to go in the right direction".

Q:"Should not collaborate all drivers in that task?

DC:"There are many who simply say that the car is not right. Others, like Alonso, know that in F1 we have to go step by step improving."

Q:"What are your views on the proposal of a single engine for all?"

DC:"Today, every thing that is discussed is related to the money. From the professional aspect, I would say that this measure is removing the F1 of a major technical challenge, but it is also true that, perhaps, that challenge will be remain limited on a subjects such as energy recovery the so-called KERS, or the optmization of the fuel that we will use in these engines in the future, if in the end we have to use all the teams the same engine."

Q:"What is your standpoint about the idea of one engine for 3 races? Does it reduce costs?."

DC:" Yes, the costs were reduced when was imposed an engine for a weekend, then for two and for sure they will be reduced in case we use one engine for 3 races. For Renault has meant a significant reduction in costs and I want to believe that it has been for the rest."

-----------

In an interview with the French newspaper 'L'Équipe, the Renault technical director, Bob Bell, has admitted that Fernando Alonso has been played a keyrole in the Renault F1 brilliant endseason. "We've been very lucky to have him with us," he says.

"Fernando has helped us a lot. It doesn’t mean that a driver, whatever, has a direct influence on the technical development of the car, or he tells us how it should be the shape of the spoiler. Fernando is much more than the exceptional driver everybody knows. He is a very, very good test driver. He is intelligent, wise, precise, consistent in each lap. He can tell exactly what's wrong with your car in every moment, to point the finger at the problem so that arises. Working with him is equvalent to a form of security: do not have to ask yourself if you are right or not. The answer is yes, "says Bob Bell.

"In addition, continued on the impact of Alonso in the Renault-progress, it is the overboost which has given the team. ( It is also important..) when you ask people to make an extra effort when they are giving the maximun. They know that the day that Fernando has a good race car, he will respond because he always know how to get out the maximun performance of the car. Look what he did in Singapore! "

Bob Bell acknowledges in the interview that the difficulties of Renault go back to "before 2007, before the departure of Alonso. We began to lose ground in the middle of the 2006 season. At that time, we were busy in the battle for the title with Fernando, we were only focused on that goal. Then in 2007 we had to attack the problems, identify, rectify the work proceedings, mainly in the field of aerodynamics. Another of our concerns were the Bridgestone tires, new for us. Only at the end of 2007 championship we found all the solutions to develop the car with confidence. By then we had lost seven or eight months ".

Ciao

#44 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 17:48

thanks for the translation.

I think this alonso feedback thing is taken out of context. Its not like other F1 drivers provide no feedback at all just read one of bourdais interviews you could say he is the most knowledgeable driver in the field.

what makes alonso great is the pure driving talent that he has.

just remembering that story last year when spanish media was claiming that lewis uses fernandos setup and that lewis was going to struggle this year without alonso and we all know how that turned out.

#45 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 19:29

I think saying that its taken out of context is taking it out of context unless the context that is taken out of context results in a slack jawed post about 6 tenths. The real context is in post above.
A big boost to the efficiency of development basically.

If there is one thing that interests me more and makes engineering an art form its efficiency.

#46 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 19:36

Interesting interviews. Thanks. :up:

#47 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 20:09

Originally posted by MichaelPM
I think saying that its taken out of context is taking it out of context unless the context that is taken out of context results in a slack jawed post about 6 tenths. The real context is in post above.
A big boost to the efficiency of development basically.

If there is one thing that interests me more and makes engineering an art form its efficiency.

that is a lot of use of the word "context" :lol:

#48 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 21:16

Great interview, thanks for posting that. :up:

#49 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 17:55

Alonso denies he won't be in the car this year any more: ''Indeed I'm having holidays now and I hope our car will be ready quickly. But I will certainly be there at the Jerez test on the 11th of December, even if we were still to be driving this year's car. I simply cannot sit out two or three months without driving.''

On this year's car compared to the one from next year: ''The R28 was very good towards the end of the season but that obviously isn't a guarantee for next year. Updates to the aerodynamics will almost completely go away due to the regulations. But our developments in the area of the suspensions and tyre temperatures could bring us an advantage with the R29. Of course (the lack of) speed is still our problem. We simply have to better prepare ourselves. It's already too late when you need two or three races to be at the level of the others. You regularly need to be on the podium and sometimes have the necessary luck on your side. Massa would have become worldchampion if he for instance hadn't suffered from engine problems in Hungary.''

One the new regulations: ''So far the new regulations are a mystery for everyone. Therefore we'll be seeing some susprises next year. Especially KERS could be mixing up a lot of things and perhaps could be causing reliability problems. (However) Ferrari and McLaren will again be the ones to beat. Both Ferrari drivers have a high (performance) level. Raikkonen and Massa were often almost equally strong. Hamilton will try to defend his title. Kubica could again be fighting for the title also. It will be an open fight at the beginning.''

#50 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:52

^^ Cheers for the info

You would have thought Alonso signing for 2 years would imply he's confident that next year’s car is going to be competitive considering that he probably could have still made a move to BMW or Honda. If they make good inroads in 2009 that is.