Cobb Mountain hill climb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 corsaresearch

corsaresearch

• 63 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:31

I have a bunch of kodachrome slides on Cobb mountain hill climb, 1954 -
unfortunately, I do not have any information - no date, nothing about who organised it, no entry list -
it is very well possible that a local California sports car club held this event, but I'm not 100% sure -

can anyone help me with this ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Breezer

Breezer

• 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:07

Hello Renée,

I just stumbled across your post about the Cobb Mountain Hill Climb.
This does appear to be the California race, which took place on or near Cobb Mountain near Clear Lake, 60 miles north of San Francisco.
My father, Bill Breeze, raced there in at least 1954. I would be very interested in seeing your slides. I can probably identify some of the drivers.

-Joe

#3 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 15:35

Howdy Renee:

Interesting event, was the Cobb Hill event only run once or multiple times over several years? Could you post some of your slides showing a relatively unknown event?

Erik

#4 corsaresearch

corsaresearch

• 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 20:06

here are two that I have immediately available (white Panhard Junior and blue Siata 208 spider) - will put some others on TNF later today or tomorrow - I wonder who the drivers are ??

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Breezer

Breezer

• 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:10

Thanks for the photos, Renée.

Henry Manney raced a white Siata #8 in northern California in 1954 at Pebble Beach. Maybe this is him in the blue 208S?

My mother took photos from this very vantage point in 1954, so perhaps she knew your photographer. By the way, she labeled the box of slides "Hobergs Hill Climb", which is in the Cobb Mountain area. I think the 1955 Hobergs race was in October.

-Joe

#6 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:26

Originally posted by ERIKZ
Howdy Renee:

Interesting event, was the Cobb Hill event only run once or multiple times over several years? Could you post some of your slides showing a relatively unknown event?

Erik

Erik,
It ran at least through 1956, here are the results for the 1956 race:

Posted Image

I'm always adding to my SCCA results page so take a look at my recent changes:

http://www.ferrariex.....test page.htm

-Cliff Reuter

www.etceterini.com

#7 Breezer

Breezer

• 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 18:35

Hi Cliff and Renée,

Do either of you have results of the 1954 and 1955 Cobb hill climbs? Here’s what I’ve gathered so far (not listed in any order).

1954 Cobb Mountain Hill Climb, Lake County, California
Lou Brero, Jr.?, Cooper Mark V #6
Bill Breeze, MG-TD #40F
Jack Dalton?, MG-TD #40F
Jack Dalton?, MG special #41
Lou Brero, Sr., Jaguar XK120 #108C
Nadeau Bourgeault. MG special #15
Al Coppel, OSCA Mille Miglia #23F

1955 Cobb Mountain Hill Climb, Lake County, California
Jim Lowe, Frazer-Nash Replica Mk II #39
Mick Marston?, Huffaker-Healey? #42
Marion Lowe, Frazer-Nash Targa Florio #38E
Al Coppel, OSCA Mille Miglia (#23F)
Lou Brero, 1953 Kurtis Kraft 500S #108B
Nadeau Bourgeault, MG special #15

I’m also interested in finding out specifically what roads this race was on.

-Joe

#8 Jim Armstrong

Jim Armstrong

• 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 16:30

This topic caught my eye since I live about 25 miles from Cobb Mountain and have spent a fair amount of time in the area.
I moved here in 1970, so missed the hill climbs by about 15 years.
I plan to look over some Lake County Record Bee archives in the next dew days to see if these events were covered locally.
Some of the names on Cliff's results page are well known in Northern California racing and beyond.
Lou Brero, Sr. was a French-born lumberman from Humboldt County to the north and raced all over the world until his death in Hawaii in 1957. One of his claims to fame was the famous Ferrari 375 MM campaigned by many great drivers that sat in storage in Arcata for 40 0r 50 years.
Bill Breeze, Joe's father owned the Sports Car Center in Sausalito (Marin County) a hub of early area activity.
One regular there was apparently another Cobb Mountain climber Bob Wnkelman, a young British-born mechanic who drove a Lotus Cortina in the 1965 Daytona 24 hours among many other venues.
Greg Teaby, 2nd in Class C Stock, was the fire chief in Monterey, California and was active in the Pebble Beach Sports Car Cluc Car Club where he tried to get a hill climb going on public roads, but was stopped.
Fritz Warren drove a TR4A in races all over California.
I'll post this much now and hopefully more later.

#9 funk2156

funk2156

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 00:08

I have a bunch of kodachrome slides on Cobb mountain hill climb, 1954 -
unfortunately, I do not have any information - no date, nothing about who organised it, no entry list -
it is very well possible that a local California sports car club held this event, but I'm not 100% sure -

can anyone help me with this ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi I am the grandson of the late Lou Brero sr. and too have a couple pics of my grandfather racing at cobb Mt.

I am very interested in your photo's as I am trying to retrace my grandfathers racing career.
Thanks Steve

#10 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 15:17

In an effort to revive this thread go here:

https://revslib.stan...b&page=3&utf8=✓

1955 event held August 17-18.

Do we know anything more about the course?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 08 February 2015 - 17:40.

#11 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 20:56

Cobb Mountain Hill Climb, 16 September 1956:

Sausalito’s Fritz Warren last Sunday won the mile-long Cobb Mountain Hill Climb near Hoberg’s Resort in Lake county driving his Warren Special. In a field of 118 cars entered in the event, all of which made the climb one at a time against the clock, Warren’s winning time was 1:30.10.

Photographs now here:

http://library.revsi..."Cobb Mountain"

RGDS RLT