Photo

Bill Thomasen RIP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:43

Bill Thomasen,late fifties,50's,early 60's New Zealand Driver,passed away yesterday ,funeral service is Tuesday,a couple of good memories of some good drives along the way Bill,RIP old friend

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:52

Sad news
Somewhat spookily perhaps, I was thinking only yesterday of that old South Auckland gang - Johnny Riley, Red Dawson, Bill Thomasen and for a while Rod Coppins - and wondered if Thomasen was still with us.
He was always a determined driver, and added plenty of colour to the racing of the period

#3 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:47

Have a memory of Bill and the Monza Ferrari at Wigram (poss. around 1956 !!??), the Ferrari with its 'bum' up in the air on 'Jackstands' , motor running ,somebody sitting in the drivers seat going ,endlessly,'Brmmmmm,'Brmmmmm,'Brmmmmmm,'Brmmmmm,'Brmmmmm....back wheels spinning, the sound was 'Beautifull', to a 10/11yr old this seemed a strange goings on, "Hey Dad !!,why are they doing that ????( 'it was our job to ask questions'), "bring the 'Drivetrain' up to temprature,its a Racing Car,thats what they do" !!...................my Memory of Bill..R.I.P-'Rev In Peace'.......................................427

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:31

Biographical info about many racing drivers from New Zealand are surprisingly sparse.

Can anyone tell me when and where Bill Thomasen was born?

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 16:30

Can’t help with either specific date, Reinhard, except that I think he was born in 1927.
However, it seems only right that his passing should be marked by a brief review of the career of a man who was one of the most consistent performers in NZ races between 1960 and 1965, taking part in 18 international races in that period.
After a race or two in an ageing special Bill Thomasen acquired the Monza Ferrari and campaigned that in the 1960 season, progressing later to a 2-litre Cooper-Climax T51, then another, followed by a 2.5 T53 and finally a 2.5 Brabham-Climax BT4.
At the national championship level he gained points in many races, his best placings being a second in the Waimate 50 classic and a third at Ohakea. In international races there were fifths at Teretonga Park in 1962, Levin in 1963 and Teretonga again in 1964. He was also sixth in 1962 NZ GP.
Thomasen achieved minor wins at Ardmore with the Monza and at Pukekohe with the second T51 and the T53, and also at Matamata with the T53. He even raced the Coopers on the historic Muriwai Beach course in its dying days, winning in 1962 and 1963.
Although primarily a single-seater man, he was a regular in the 6hr and 500-mile races at Pukekohe, driving Mercedes-Benz 220SEs with John Riley, who died earlier this year.

#6 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:35

A kind thought and a generous post, David, to mark his record.
Roger Lund

#7 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:03

Originally posted by ReWind
Biographical info about many racing drivers from New Zealand are surprisingly sparse.

Can anyone tell me when and where Bill Thomasen was born?

Bill Thomasen ,born 17th February 1927 Te Kuiti,New Zealand