Honda on sale for one dollar (merged)

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Barri

Barri

• 314 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:10

Who do you think will buy Honda?

Porsche?...they bought a huge steak of VW, they must be balling..

:smoking:

Some Arabian Oil king, they always got the money...

Schumacher sees a great opportunity to make a team of his own, taking advantage of the facilities honda built.

Petrobras? weren't they going to be one of Honda's main sponsor in 2009...

Virgin?

George Bush?? hehehe :cool:

Advertisement

#2 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:40

It's hard to conceive of anybody stepping up to the plate and taking on the Honda machine even if Honda GIVES the team away.
Auto related companies are suffering world wide. Maybe a bank or investment house? Then again maybe not. Insurance Company? AIG could put on some pretty dope junkets for the top brass! Scratch that. Which leaves us with.... US Government F1 bailout. Paulson and Berneke as drivers. Carve out a little bit of that 700 B TARP and we are talking guaranteed qualifying in the top 10.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:44

Originally posted by Barri
Porsche?...they bought a huge steak

I did too..a lovely rib-eye, at the Knoxville Hilton.
I asked for it to be done rare knowing they would leave it in the pan too long.

Hey where's Phil when ya kneed him?
Got a question about this 'dry rub' phenomenon over here in the Midwest.

Jp

#4 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:50

Ross Brawn and Jensen Button should pool their resources and maybe get another partner.

#5 AndreasF1

AndreasF1

• 1,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:04

Any company that needs a write-off . Maybe the Mexican drug cartel. Then again I can't see why anybody would want to buy 2 lawnmowers on sterioids.

#6 FuangPing

FuangPing

• 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:26

ahhh, This is very difficult question...
But as one of Japanese Honda fans, I really really hope that someone who is going to buy Honda would be wealthy enough to make best of heritage of Honda.

Anyway, considering this disastrous withdrawal, FIA should take effect measures for this.
Please please please force even Toyota to end up withdrawing...

#7 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

• 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:49

In this economic environment I doubt there are suitors that are manufacturers like PSA, VW, or Hyundai. Honda for its part has been doing relatively well compared to many other car companies- they are far too pragmatic for F1.

Possibly a "Arabian oil king" as has been suggested; crude oil prices are down but I'm sure they have money. The real issue is that there are ~800 jobs at Brackley, its a relatively large team with lots of resources. I'm sure all of that won't go to waste, but I doubt the entire operation will remain unscathed.

#8 redhorse

redhorse

• 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:04

if this was true, i would think that the likes of vijay mallya would regret for buying 50% stake of spyker for 80million dollars a year back considering they have brawn & button on board
http://www.newsofthe...-for-buyer.html

#9 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:22

Originally posted by redhorse
if this was true, i would think that the likes of vijay mallya would regret for buying 50% stake of spyker for 80million dollars a year back considering they have brawn & button on board
http://www.newsofthe...-for-buyer.html

Vijay Malwhatever should rush and grab the team for the dollar. He would have more influence with two teams (the second is essentially free). He can bargain for customer cars aggressively then.

#10 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:02

Force India? Flavio? A buyer from F1 would be best. IF customer cars are allowed the Honda team would be scooped pretty quickly.

#11 luskiiimj

luskiiimj

• 228 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:31

My money is on Richards

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:35

I bet Vijay Mallya wishes he'd waited a year.

#13 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:52

Originally posted by luskiiimj
My money is on Richards

:up:

That's the biggest rumour so far... and I hope he will do it!
Maybe Tom Walkinshaw could return too...

#14 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:05

I think that it will not be a manufacturer, they are all bleeding money and taking over from Honda will not be how any manufacturer would want to enter F1 anyway.

Of the usual suspects:

Nicolas Todt / ART
Campos
Richards

There is a British team running everything from FFord up to F3 could be them.

I would not expect any non-autoracing entity to take over in today economic climate, however both Fry and Brawn must have quite a collection of phone numbers on investors potentially interested in sponsoring / partnering a F1 team.

So I expect that Honda will be taken over by Brawn and Fry funded by one or some of those.

:cool:

#15 Oho

Oho

• 11,844 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:22

Originally posted by primer
The second is essentially free.

Not necessarily, the buyer also assumes all debts of the team.

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:26

Originally posted by Oho

And at this point in time - debt is deadly...

#17 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:29

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM

There is a British team running everything from FFord up to F3 could be them.

Do you mean Carlin?

I would love to see Richards involved, however not sure he would have the money at this point in time.

Didn't he and Button supposedly have issues when he was running BAR?

#18 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:30

Originally posted by jonpollak

I did too..a lovely rib-eye, at the Knoxville Hilton.
I asked for it to be done rare knowing they would leave it in the pan too long.

Hey where's Phil when ya kneed him?
Got a question about this 'dry rub' phenomenon over here in the Midwest.

Jp

Hey JP!! you called ;)

#19 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,599 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:08

Eddie Jordan!
Well, the team is based in Brackley....thats not too far off. And he was a Honda powered outfit for quite some time!!!

Advertisement

#20 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,193 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:15

Force India will buy the team in order to observe the drawings of the new car and do everything possible to make their 2009 challenger as dissimilar as possible. Instant +1 second per lap time.

#21 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:15

Paul Stoddart

#22 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:22

Whoever buys Honda needs to be prepared to fork out 50 million € to finance the operation. That's a hell of a lot of money that I don't even thing Prodrive will put up just for the sake of being in Formula 1. THere is a strong link between Richards and Aston Martin but lay offs at Aston Martin suggests that it's an impossibility that the former Honda team would enter as Aston Martin or even get funding. Also, there are no sponsors onboard that could have been carried over to a new owner. Richards needs to fix all the finances in about a months time. A very tall order considering the current financial times. TO find that kind of financing when F1 seems to be at its most unstable state ever... I have my doubts.

#23 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:04

Originally posted by Motormedia
...needs to fix all the finances in about a months time. A very tall order considering the current financial times. TO find that kind of financing when F1 seems to be at its most unstable state ever... I have my doubts.

True,
but then who could by it? nobody...

So it's already a lost case... :(

#24 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:12

Nicolas and Jean Todt and ART, the team still making its own chassis but taking its drivetrains from Ferrari, in effect a Ferrari B-team.

#25 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:41

Honda F1 which had massive funding from Honda and offered stupid money to Alonso have debts?

#26 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:42

Originally posted by Oho

Honda keep saying the sale of their team is like no other recently. The team is stable and well developed for 2009 and was funded through the roof... I don't think there are any debts...? I could be wrong, but is that not the case? Honda just feel they cannot continue to justify spending on Formula 1 when their core business isn't thriving in this climate.

#27 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:42

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Paul Stoddart

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Porsche is the only other acceptable alternative.

#28 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:51

DIC and Martin Leach - the guys who almost bought Super Aguri. They're Nick Fry's best mates so will no doubt already be a shoe in. Money from Dubai.

A group from Abu Dhabi, with Michael Schumacher as Team President to create MS Racing or whatnot.

Prodrive

A GP2 team - ART / Campos / Racing Engineering

Can't see Stoddy or Jordan coming back in. Porsche / VW makes no sense at the moment as they've just scaled back Audi massively in LMS and ALMS.

#29 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:10

Back in July , oil was selling for $147 a barrel for September delivery, now its $40 and that's where I personally believe the financial crisis really began from large investment banks future trading. So what a F1 team was worth or anything was worth last year and what it is worth now, are two different things.

Another point I have seen in the media. If another team goes to the wall, that leaves 8 teams. That apparently triggers the 3 car team. Running an extra car would not be that more expensive compared to 2 as most of the expense is fixed costs, even testing falls into this catogary. As Max has pointed out, does it really take 800+ staff to put 2 cars on the grid 18 times a year?

#30 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:14

Originally posted by MichaelPM

Audi would be nice as well.

To buy all this package for 1 dollar (pound, euro or whatever) is a fairy tale opportunity.

BAR & Honda invested billions of dollars into the team and facilities over the last 10 years.

The team has got everything now.

VW always said it was too expensive and long time achievment to come ino F1 and be competitive. Now F1 will definitely slash cost within a couple of years.

An now there is a team fo 1 USD with may be a winning car in the pipeline.

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:17

Stunning business proposal.

#32 just me again

just me again

• 6,711 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:26

To find the Buyer of Honda's F1 team, We first have to find the sponsor. You can get the team for free, but you have to have a running budget, so the question is, who have a F1 teams running budget as spare change. I would love it, if The answer was : Poul Stoodart.

Bjørn

#33 just me again

just me again

• 6,711 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:29

Originally posted by Devero

Audi would be nice as well.

To buy all this package for 1 dollar (pound, euro or whatever) is a fairy tale opportunity.

BAR & Honda invested billions of dollars into the team and facilities over the last 10 years.

The team has got everything now.

VW always said it was too expensive and long time achievment to come ino F1 and be competitive. Now F1 will definitely slash cost within a couple of years.

An now there is a team fo 1 USD with may be a winning car in the pipeline.

I don´t think Honda will sell to another car manufacturer. Honda will look weak. people will ask the question : Why can vw aford F1 when Honda Can't.

Bjørn

#34 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:31

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
I bet Vijay Mallya wishes he'd waited a year.

I doubt he would be prepared to spend what it would take to maintain Honda's facilities. Especially now.

#35 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:37

Well according to Nick Fry in Autosport.com's article, the three serious offers so far come from 'foreign' investors/companies:

"It is going to be difficult, but we have had three different serious groups approach us overnight with a view to taking on the team," he said. "So, we will see what happens over the next few weeks."

He was unwilling to offer any details of the groups involved.

"They are foreign. I can't say any more," said Fry.

#36 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:38

Originally posted by just me again

I don´t think Honda will sell to another car manufacturer. Honda will look weak. people will ask the question : Why can vw aford F1 when Honda Can't.

Bjørn

Well, Honda officially declared it would sell the team to a seriuos buyer. I beleive that likes of Alex Schnider of Midland is not including.

As for showing weakness matter, Honda proved to be unsufficient to say at least for the last 10 years in F1 and now they cant`do any more harm for themselves in terms of image.

#37 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:41

Originally posted by Devero

Well, Honda officially declared it would sell the team to a seriuos buyer. I beleive that likes of Alex Schnider of Midland is not including.

As for showing weakness matter, Honda proved to be unsufficient to say at least for the last 10 years in F1 and now they cant`do any more harm for themselves in terms of image.

You won't see one auto manufacturer come forward and buy an F1 team in the current economical climate. It won't happen.

#38 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:44

Stunning business proposal.

Yea, its based on the fact i'm going to view a Porsche today :rotfl:

#39 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:48

Yea, its based on the fact i'm going to view a Porsche today :rotfl:

Hey, considering you can get a whole F1 team for one buck, you have a great bargaining position on that Porsche...

Advertisement

#40 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:48

Originally posted by tidytracks
Porsche / VW makes no sense at the moment as they've just scaled back Audi massively in LMS and ALMS.

They're not entering a factory LMP1 squad, but are developing the new R15 and the R8 GT3 car that will run, while also investing in a new DTM car. They will be involved in the same amount of racing next year, just spread differently.

#41 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:59

Is Fry's foreign comment relative to 'Japan' or 'Brackley/GB'?

The former wouldn't mean anything, the latter would exclude Prodrive and nearly every other possibility mentioned here. Well, technically it would leave the Stoddard door open.

I agree that Porsche is financially better off than most other manufacturer's, but they won't risk their relative position now.

Which leaves us with Arab or Russian billionaires, which would than mean we'd have 4 billionaire toys on the grid.

Still I believe it's the worst possible moment to try to sell a F1 team. We probably won't see them in Melbourne.

#42 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:08

Why does anyone think Stoddart suddenly has the money or interest to come back?

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:28

Originally posted by anbeck
Is Fry's foreign comment relative to 'Japan' or 'Brackley/GB'?

The former wouldn't mean anything, the latter would exclude Prodrive and nearly every other possibility mentioned here. Well, technically it would leave the Stoddard door open.

I agree that Porsche is financially better off than most other manufacturer's, but they won't risk their relative position now.

Which leaves us with Arab or Russian billionaires, which would than mean we'd have 4 billionaire toys on the grid.

Still I believe it's the worst possible moment to try to sell a F1 team. We probably won't see them in Melbourne.

Exclude Prodrive and Carlin.

Leaves ART and Campos, whom I still think are not the front runners.

It will I think be a Brawn / Fry team backed by some money people not currently in F1.

#44 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:32

Originally posted by Barri

Porsche?...they bought a huge steak of VW, they must be balling..

:smoking:

Some Arabian Oil king, they always got the money...

Schumacher sees a great opportunity to make a team of his own, taking advantage of the facilities honda built.

Petrobras? weren't they going to be one of Honda's main sponsor in 2009...

Virgin?

George Bush?? hehehe :cool:

I cannot think of any reason for anyone to buy a formula 1 team at this stage unless of course they want to hold the berth.

It is expensive to the point that only a very large corporation can afford it. And then it is going to be at the back of the grid so whats the point? Until f1 is changed costwise it will be a sport with a dwindling grid.

I just cannot see how either Toro Rosso or now with financial difficulties Force India will continue.

The economic environment is worsening and nobody has any idea when or even how it can improve at this stage.

#45 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:33

It won`t happen.

No known privateer to f1 has at least 200 mln euro for 2009 let alone another 300 for combined 2010-2011 to be spare and available for investment into F1 currently.

#46 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:35

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM

Exclude Prodrive and Carlin.

Leaves ART and Campos, whom I still think are not the front runners.

It will I think be a Brawn / Fry team backed by some money people not currently in F1.

I dont think you should include Red Bull's Mateschitz in that lot. He is serious about his racing and has hired the right people and loves the sport himself. I see no essential difference in attitude or approach or intentio than that of someone I respect and admire, Frank Williams.

I would include Mallya because he has yet to show he will not fold when things get really tough in f1.

#47 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 13:41

Stoddart has already said that as long as Mosely is there he would not return. And unless f1 changes as it it has to, and I think will, to reduce costs and limit the importance of aerodynamics which has destroyed f1, he will not anyway.

#48 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 14:27

Originally posted by MonzaOne

I dont think you should include Red Bull's Mateschitz in that lot. He is serious about his racing and has hired the right people and loves the sport himself. I see no essential difference in attitude or approach or intentio than that of someone I respect and admire, Frank Williams.

I would include Mallya because he has yet to show he will not fold when things get really tough in f1.

Mally is hurt by the recession as well in his outside F1 business.

Mateschitz buying a 3rd team? I don't think so.

#49 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 14:58

Hyundai maybe?
They are the worlds 5:th largest automanufactor.

#50 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 15:36

Originally posted by Fortymark
Hyundai maybe?
They are the worlds 5:th largest automanufactor.

I do not see any manufacturer being interested in buying Honda's failed F1 team.

If they are successful Honda will get some of the credit, if they fail their smartness or rather lack of will be questioned for buying an already failing F1 team.

So needs to be funds and a privateer effort of some sort as far as I can see.