Photo

Talk about model cars

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#201 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 14:36

SMTS racing models are usually pretty good, I've always felt the road cars were a compromise, "oh well that looks good enough, lets move on to the F1 Lotus" sort of thing. For some reason, for example, they used the same basic casting for all 3 marks of the XJ6 so none of them looked right.

All this praise for GPM, no wonder the rest of us struggle!

I have been buying from GPM since the early 1970s. Car Model in Italy is also very good, as is Miniwerks (who specializes in the very rare, very expensive ultra super-deatiled hand mades) is the best of all.

Advertisement

#202 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:36

Last week, on my way home from the Westwood reunion, I picked up three models:

IMC kit, 1965 Lotus powered by Ford Indy winner, unbuilt (started)
Dinky BRM (243), which pretty well completes my Dinky race car collection :)
Quartzo Ferrari 500F2, Winner French GP53, Mike Hawthorn

The case for the Ferrari has a price sticker "Galeries Lafayette, F209.00", which I think would mean that this was originally purchased at Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Here is the website for Galeries Lafayette:

http://www.galeries-...ette-paris.com/

Questions:

1. When was this Quartzo model (Q4129) produced, and is it still in production?
2. When might this one originally have been sold at Galeries Lafayette?

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 28 July 2009 - 04:55.

#203 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:59

IIRC, Quartzo have gone the way of many European model manufacturers; that is, down the tubes.

China has taken over virtually the whole industry - surprise, surprise.

#204 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:01

I have been buying from GPM since the early 1970s. Car Model in Italy is also very good, as is Miniwerks (who specializes in the very rare, very expensive ultra super-deatiled hand mades) is the best of all.

I know another very good one  ;)

#205 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 13:03

Last week, on my way home from the Westwood reunion, I picked up three models:

IMC kit, 1965 Lotus powered by Ford Indy winner, unbuilt (started)
Dinky BRM (243), which pretty well completes my Dinky race car collection :)
Quartzo Ferrari 500F2, Winner French GP53, Mike Hawthorn

The case for the Ferrari has a price sticker "Galeries Lafayette, F209.00", which I think would mean that this was originally purchased at Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Here is the website for Galeries Lafayette:

http://www.galeries-...ette-paris.com/

Questions:

1. When was this Quartzo model (Q4129) produced, and is it still in production?
2. When might this one originally have been sold at Galeries Lafayette?

Vince H.

Quartzo was part of the Vitesse Group which went into administration in April 2001, so your model would have been produced and sold before that.

The new owners of the company (Sunstar Models) have kept the original Vitesse website on the net. Here's a list of all the models Quartzo produced (you'll find your Ferrari halfway down), which might give you a few other models to track down :

http://www.vitessegr..._quartzo_1.html

Edited by Jager, 28 July 2009 - 13:04.

#206 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 22:26

Quartzo was part of the Vitesse Group which went into administration in April 2001, so your model would have been produced and sold before that.

The new owners of the company (Sunstar Models) have kept the original Vitesse website on the net. Here's a list of all the models Quartzo produced (you'll find your Ferrari halfway down), which might give you a few other models to track down :

http://www.vitessegr..._quartzo_1.html

Jager and Barry, thanks for this. Apparently, my Quartzo Hawthorn Ferrari model was first produced in 1998, as were many of the Quartzos I have. As for other Quartzo models to track down, I'd go for some more Le Mans winners and Jim Clark Lotus cars, and some of Nelson Piquet's Brabhams :)

Vince H.

#207 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:13

Jager and Barry, thanks for this. Apparently, my Quartzo Hawthorn Ferrari model was first produced in 1998, as were many of the Quartzos I have. As for other Quartzo models to track down, I'd go for some more Le Mans winners and Jim Clark Lotus cars, and some of Nelson Piquet's Brabhams :)

Vince H.

Should you be at the Goodwood Revival go and see Russell at the JM Toys stand. They bought up the remains of Modeltime's (UK Vitesse importer) stock when Modeltime closed some years ago. Don't know what they still have but could be worth a look.

Don't believe there were many LM winners amongst Quartzo production, they did the 935 Porsche and Vitesse did a whole raft of 956/962s but the best source of LM winners is IXO or the old, now sadly long since defunct, Starter "built" range.

#208 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 13:11

Don't believe there were many LM winners amongst Quartzo production, they did the 935 Porsche and Vitesse did a whole raft of 956/962s but the best source of LM winners is IXO or the old, now sadly long since defunct, Starter "built" range.

Quartzo did numerous LM winners including the 1951, '53, '55, '56 & '57 Jaguar's, the '59 Aston, most of the '82 to '87 Porsche 956/962 and the '92 & '93 Peugeot's. Most of the IXO versions of the above are re-releases using the upgraded Quartzo castings.

The best sources of Le Mans winners today is Spark who leave the old Starter models (and most others) for dead. The models from HPI with their removable engine covers are also exceptional for mass produced 1:43 models. HPI have done the winning '82 and '85 Porsches, the '88 Jaguar, the '89 Sauber Mercedes, the '91 Mazda and the '98 Porsche GT1, plus many other variations of these cars.

Posted Image

#209 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 14:40

Now you've got me, don't recall any of the Jaguars from Quartzo or maybe ModelTime never brought them into the UK?

Not come across HPI either, is it an Australian company?

The problem with Spark, in UK at least, is one of supply. When we selling Starter builts (they were the backbone of my income for a while) a fax to the factory would usually bring any number of whatever we wanted. They did every winner as well.

#210 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 15:16

Now you've got me, don't recall any of the Jaguars from Quartzo or maybe ModelTime never brought them into the UK?

HPI are originally either American or Japanese I think? -they've diversified from radio-control models into diecasts in the last couple of years- mostly sportscars, rally cars (predominantly Subaru and Lancia so far), 90's DTM Alfas, and Japanese production cars
http://www.hpieurope.com/

#211 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 15:19

I believe Onyx without Silk Cut decals...

Japanese.

The problem with Spark, in UK at least, is one of supply. When we selling Starter builts (they were the backbone of my income for a while) a fax to the factory would usually bring any number of whatever we wanted. They did every winner as well.

Starter fixation on making all Le Mans and Daytona 500 winner seemed to blind them from what the collector really wanted. Also quality was ignored. Then they had their kits built in Madagascar... Not the best of quality.

#212 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 15:56

I've checked out HPI now, they don't seem to have any distributor in Europe although GPM have some stock. There were Onyx TWR Jaguars but '50's cars were mentioned which puzzled me.

Agreed Starter's range could be a bit iffy but bear in mind we are talking '80's/'90's here. The point is none of the companies mentioned has produced anything like a full list of LM winners which is what most of my customers wanted.

#213 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 15:59

HPI are originally either American or Japanese I think? -they've diversified from radio-control models into diecasts in the last couple of years- mostly sportscars, rally cars (predominantly Subaru and Lancia so far), 90's DTM Alfas, and Japanese production cars
http://www.hpieurope.com/

OK got it now, I've been out of the business too long. AB Gee.... say no more....

#214 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 19:58

this is a MUST HAVE for any serious collector of classic f1/gp cars:
http://truescalemini...ignature_01.php
picked mine up over the weekend and was not dissapointed. limited to 750 pcs. worldwide.

#215 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 22:05

I saw the new Trumpeter 1:12 scale Ford GT40 at my local hobby shop last week. Looks like a nice kit but the price tag is just too steep for my current budget. US $200 Ouch!

It would look nice next to my Tamiya 1:12 Lola T70 though.

#216 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 23:08

The point is none of the companies mentioned has produced anything like a full list of LM winners which is what most of my customers wanted.

An almost full collection of Le Mans winners is possible with a mix of IXO, Spark, Redline, Minichamps & HPI. Every race winner since 1923 has been modelled, except the 1928 Bentley, by at least one of the above companies (and in some case have been modelled by 2 or 3 of them). IXO actually started a "Le Mans Winners Collection" which produced the best part of 30 winners, but it seems there was a licencing dispute between them and the ACO (possibly they only had a 5 year licence which has expired), so now Spark have similarly started a winners collection under which they have released at least 10 models in just the last 12 months.

Even though they went out of production several years ago, there are plenty of Quartzo "C" & "D" Type Jaguars in the UK - just check eBay (there are 5 Quartzo "C" & "D" Types listed there at present) !

The problem with Spark, in UK at least, is one of supply.

All Sparks are generally limited editions of 500 - 750 pieces. For the most popular models (like Le Mans winners), you generally need to pre-order them, wherever you are in the world. Yes it makes it harder to find them, but also makes them more collectable and at least they hold their value so you don't find them in the discount bin at Tesco for half price 6 months after you bought one. Prices for Spark models in the UK are ridiculously high and they can be purchased more cheaply from the US even with the cost of postage.

#217 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 16:41

An almost full collection of Le Mans winners is possible with a mix of IXO, Spark, Redline, Minichamps & HPI. Every race winner since 1923 has been modelled, except the 1928 Bentley, by at least one of the above companies (and in some case have been modelled by 2 or 3 of them). IXO actually started a "Le Mans Winners Collection" which produced the best part of 30 winners, but it seems there was a licencing dispute between them and the ACO (possibly they only had a 5 year licence which has expired), so now Spark have similarly started a winners collection under which they have released at least 10 models in just the last 12 months.

Even though they went out of production several years ago, there are plenty of Quartzo "C" & "D" Type Jaguars in the UK - just check eBay (there are 5 Quartzo "C" & "D" Types listed there at present) !

All Sparks are generally limited editions of 500 - 750 pieces. For the most popular models (like Le Mans winners), you generally need to pre-order them, wherever you are in the world. Yes it makes it harder to find them, but also makes them more collectable and at least they hold their value so you don't find them in the discount bin at Tesco for half price 6 months after you bought one. Prices for Spark models in the UK are ridiculously high and they can be purchased more cheaply from the US even with the cost of postage.

I think we are a bit at cross purposes here.

It is now some 4 or 5 years since my business, Model Garage, traded seriously although I would like to build business back up again. I always tried to keep a good stock of Le Mans cars but in more recent years obtaining a reliable regular supply became more and more difficult. I'm sure if I wanted to build up a collection of Le Mans winners it would not be difficult, building up a stock which I could sell on in quantity is impossible. Hence my reliance on Starter.

Pricewise we are stuck by the price it costs us to buy in. I bought Starter, Best etc direct from the manufacturer which meant I could sell cheaper than most UK outlets. IXO, Spark etc I imported from Holland, again cheaper than UK whoesalers. I tried to persuade the fledgling Spark set up to sell to me direct, unfotunately without success. Now I'm just buying a few bits of Spark from a friendly UK wholesaler, despairing at the recent price hike and wondering how some on Ebay can sell so cheaply. The modern day equivalent of the "discount bin at Tesco" you mention. It was actually ever thus, you have to sell new releases as soon as you get them or drop prices dramatically, even Spark!

And I still cannot recall those Quartzo Jaguars!

#218 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 15:45

Rant mode on:

Can anyone explain to the me the ebay phenomenon I'll call "Sell the Pocher kit one bolt at a time"?

Are there really that many people with incomplete Pocher kits (especially F40's)?!!

It's worse than a real-world parts yard for crying out loud. :drunk:

Rant mode off:

#219 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 15:02

Today at a collectors fare I bought a 1/43 built John Day white metal model without steering wheel or sreen. After serious negotiation I paid the princely sum of £3.00 ($4.80).

A sticky label said "John Day 231, Tydol Special, Indy" but beyond that I know nothing about the car (signature justification again?). It is a typical 1920's or 30's 2-seater with white body, red wheels and red race number 36. The only reference book I have that lists Indianapolis cars does so by chassis so in this case it's as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Does anybody have any idea what I've bought?

Advertisement

#220 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 16:39

Today at a collectors fare I bought a 1/43 built John Day white metal model without steering wheel or sreen. After serious negotiation I paid the princely sum of £3.00 ($4.80).

A sticky label said "John Day 231, Tydol Special, Indy" but beyond that I know nothing about the car (signature justification again?). It is a typical 1920's or 30's 2-seater with white body, red wheels and red race number 36. The only reference book I have that lists Indianapolis cars does so by chassis so in this case it's as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I can't answer the question but it's nice to see John Day mentioned here: I built a few Coopers from JD, plus a Theodore, Hesketh and a few others. Very basic, but the best there were at the time. In fact I'd qualify that: even by late '80s standards the Coopers were nice kits.

Also somewhat bemused by the references to Starter: I always thought their kits were pretty good - especially the AMR-1, Sauber C291 and Jaguar XJR-11/16 (all with engine detail). Though the decals weren't as good as Provence Moulage they built up nicely. (and look more detailed than the HPI models mentioned).

But while I'm talking of Provence Moulage, I always thought they were the best for the price. Though BBR, Horbra etc were more detailed, they were also more expensive.

#221 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 18:10

Is this it?

http://rides.webshot...030647738YzdYbz

Apparently, Louis Meyer's 1933 Indy-winning 1931 Miller...results here:

http://www.motorspor...ta/ch193301.pdf

And more info here in post 8:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=102959

Vince H.

#222 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 19:58

Is this it?

http://rides.webshot...030647738YzdYbz

Apparently, Louis Meyer's 1933 Indy-winning 1931 Miller...results here:

http://www.motorspor...ta/ch193301.pdf

And more info here in post 8:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=102959

Vince H.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Day was one of the Pioneer white Metal kit makers of the 70's
He made a full series of Grand Prix, Sports cars and Indy cars in 1/43 scale
They are a little crude and simple..., by todays standard,
Please contact me if you want to know more

PcH

#223 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 20:26

Many thanks. The model will noe share a shelf with the Wilbur Shaw's 1939 Boyle Special Maserati (Brumm), Jim Rathman's 1960 Ken-Paul Special (Hobby Horse) and Nigel Mansell's 1993 Lola (Onyx) making up the Indianapolis winners in my "Miscellaneous" cabinet.

My collection is mainly diecast with a few built from kits (not many as I have 10 thumbs and little patience) including a couple of John Day models.

Edited by D-Type, 01 August 2009 - 20:27.

#224 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 22:55

I was selling at a toy-fair at Malvern a few years ago. Amongst my stock was a fairly basic white metal kit of a Porsche 935 in a plain white box, the only identification was a handwritten label; John Day, Porsche 935. An elderly gentleman took a good look at it and then said, "I'm sorry this can't be right". "Why not?", I asked. "I never made a 935" came the reply.

A really lovely man to talk to and very self-critical about the standards of his early kits.

There were some Starter kits which were perhaps not up to the mark but most of them were pretty good for the price. BBR, Renaissance etc were maybe better but more expensive and rarer. One of the problems with the very best kit builders is that they expect everything to be perfect. I've known customers refuse to have anything to do with a manufacturer ever again because one small detail on one kit was not quite right.

PM were probably better, their decals certainly were, but both were lovely people to deal with (except perhaps for getting spare parts) which is more than can be said for some manufacturers.

#225 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 23:15

Using my own weird visual radar I mostly tend to collect those vehicles that to me embody a sort of combined aesthetic/historic significance. Mostly prototypes, unpainted T-cars and strangely enough orange McLarens. All 1-18.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2010 - 14:57.

#226 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:28

You need a W196 to put on the transporter!

#227 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:18

You need a W196 to put on the transporter!

It's true, but I've been saving up for the unliveried R streamliner (1954-55) for about a year now. I never quite make it.

#228 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:39

Mike Arensdorf (MA Scale models) here in the US has reproduced a LOT of John Day kits in resin rather than white metal, and has done a number of other versions of cars produced by John Day by modifying a John Day kit into another similar car. He has been doing this for almost 30 years!!! Mike's models are available in kit form or as built ups. He has done something like 300 different cars!!

I believe on of the cars he has done is a "recast" of the Indy Tydol Special...

The web site is http://www.mamodels.com/

#229 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:42

Using my own weird visual radar I mostly tend to collect those vehicles that to me embody a sort of combined aesthetic/historic significance. Mostly prototypes, unpainted T-cars and strangely enough orange McLarens. All 1-18.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are these 1/18th models all die casts, or are some resin kits you have built? Who makes the "graph paper" BMW 3.5CSL???

#230 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 14:39

Are these 1/18th models all die casts, or are some resin kits you have built? Who makes the "graph paper" BMW 3.5CSL???

Yes these are all 1-18 scale diecasts, no kits included in this selection. This BMW was part of the BMW Museum Collection Art Car series, and although it is branded as BMW Museum it is infact manufactured by good old Minichamps. A 1976 factory 24hrs of Le Mans Group 5 entrant driven by Brian Redman/Peter Gregg. Qualified in 8th but ultimately failed to finish. Did however manage to out qualify the 935 later at Dijon 6hrs. Livery by US artist Frank Stella. Another one of my favourites is the Alexander Calder liveried 'painted' version from 1975.

This Frank Stella version is listed as the Ronnie Peterson car from Dijon, Manufacturer's World Championship 1976 Dijon BMW Motorsport 21 Ronnie Peterson Museum Edition Limited Edition, however it actually has the 24hrs of Le Mans Group 5 classification certificate on the door sills so instead technically represents a different version, even though the version that raced at Le Mans that year was I think No 41. In short I think it has Petersons number from Dijon but is Brian Redman/Peter Greggs car. Deeply confusing stuff.

The car with this livery was however raced from pole at Dijon by Stella's friend Ronnie Peterson. Subsequently in memory of his friend, Stella produced a series of prints 'The Polar Co-ordinates'.

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 02 August 2009 - 16:12.

#231 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 16:39

Hasaegawa has released two versions of the Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa as a 1/24 scale plastic kit.
----------------------------------------
FERRARI 250 TESTA ROSSA "1958 LE MANS"
Kit No. 20242 (20242)
Scale : 1/24
Category :   Italian Vintage Race Car
Estimated No. of parts : 136
Markings : 1) 1958 Le Mans Car No.22
2) 1958 Le Mans Car No.58
3) 1958 Le Mans Car No.19
4) 1958 Le Mans Car No.17
Special add.) 1958 Buenos Aires 1000km Race Car No.26
Link
------------------------------------------
FERRARI 250 TESTA ROSSA "CHASSIS NO.0714 TR"
Item no. : 20246 (20246)
Category :   Italian Vintage Car
Estimated No. of parts : 137
Markings : 1) Bridgehanmpton National 7th place Car no.124 May 1959
2) Buenos Aires 1000km Race 4th place Car no.26 Jan., 26, 1958
3) Pensacola National 3rd place Car no.25 1959
4) Riverside Kiwanis Grand Prix 8th place Car no.12 1959
5) Meadowdale National 6th place Car no.94 1962
Link

#232 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:34

I was selling at a toy-fair at Malvern a few years ago. Amongst my stock was a fairly basic white metal kit of a Porsche 935 in a plain white box, the only identification was a handwritten label; John Day, Porsche 935. An elderly gentleman took a good look at it and then said, "I'm sorry this can't be right". "Why not?", I asked. "I never made a 935" came the reply.

A really lovely man to talk to and very self-critical about the standards of his early kits.

There were some Starter kits which were perhaps not up to the mark but most of them were pretty good for the price. BBR, Renaissance etc were maybe better but more expensive and rarer. One of the problems with the very best kit builders is that they expect everything to be perfect. I've known customers refuse to have anything to do with a manufacturer ever again because one small detail on one kit was not quite right.

PM were probably better, their decals certainly were, but both were lovely people to deal with (except perhaps for getting spare parts) which is more than can be said for some manufacturers.

John Day owes me a LOT of money. When he was going out of business, I bought a LOT of what was left, but only ever got about 25% of what I had paid for. BTW, John Day DID do a Porsche 935...for Grand Prix Models circa 1976.

#233 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 22:48

Sadly, John Day died in early 2006

#234 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:34

Hasaegawa has released two versions of the Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa as a 1/24 scale plastic kit.
----------------------------------------
FERRARI 250 TESTA ROSSA "1958 LE MANS"
Kit No. 20242 (20242)
Category : ? Italian Vintage Race Car
Estimated No. of parts : 136
Markings : 1) 1958 Le Mans Car No.22
2) 1958 Le Mans Car No.58
3) 1958 Le Mans Car No.19
4) 1958 Le Mans Car No.17
Special add.) 1958 Buenos Aires 1000km Race Car No.26
Link
------------------------------------------
FERRARI 250 TESTA ROSSA "CHASSIS NO.0714 TR"
Item no. : 20246 (20246)
Category : ? Italian Vintage Car
Estimated No. of parts : 137
Markings : 1) Bridgehanmpton National 7th place Car no.124 May 1959
2) Buenos Aires 1000km Race 4th place Car no.26 Jan., 26, 1958
3) Pensacola National 3rd place Car no.25 1959
4) Riverside Kiwanis Grand Prix 8th place Car no.12 1959
5) Meadowdale National 6th place Car no.94 1962
Link

My friend Phil Dauphinee used one of these to build a model of George Keck's Ferrari 250TR 0754 as raced opening day at Westwood, July 26, 1959. Here is a link to photos of his model. Photos 1-8 and 19 are of his model work. The rest of the photos are of the original car. These models were on display at the recent Westwood reunion, and George Keck himself got to see them.

http://public.fotki....e-keck-ferrari/

Vince H.

#235 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:56

Rant mode on:

Can anyone explain to the me the ebay phenomenon I'll call "Sell the Pocher kit one bolt at a time"?

Are there really that many people with incomplete Pocher kits (especially F40's)?!!

It's worse than a real-world parts yard for crying out loud. :drunk:

Rant mode off:

Pocher started out making multipart model kits in the seventies of classic cars, starting with the Fiat F2, the Alfa 2300 8C, Rolls Royce Phantom II Sedanca. The Rolls had 2000+ parts. Later they started to do modern cars like the F40 and Testarossa.
From what I hear many kits indeed did miss parts. This I learned this from people building the 'classic' kits. Some collectors have only now found time to build these kits and have a problem re-ordering the parts as Pocher's current owner (Hornby's) has no intention in this field (Pocher production stopped 10 years ago with the bankrupcy of then owner Rivarossi). The modern cars seem to be delivered complete.
On the net you will find some companies specializing in supplying missing parts from unfinished projects.

The Pocher story:
http://www.leggendae...ranslation).pdf

#236 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:38

I was once told that only about 25% of kits sold have ever been built, which means that there is a good market in secondhand kits.

Most people on buying a kit will open it and then put it to one side thinking I'll build that soon and never doing it. Trouble is the box is now unsealed and unless stored very carefully then parts will go missing. Pocher kits had a lot of parts, lots more potential for loss!

Edited by RCH, 03 August 2009 - 10:39.

#237 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:44

I was once told that only about 25% of kits sold have ever been built, which means that there is a good market in secondhand kits.

Most people on buying a kit will open it and then put it to one side thinking I'll build that soon and never doing it. Trouble is the box is now unsealed and unless stored very carefully then parts will go missing. Pocher kits had a lot of parts, lots more potential for loss!

The Pocher kits had many bags with screws and bolts and parts in them. Already in the bags parts where missing.

#238 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 17:54

Pocher started out making multipart model kits in the seventies of classic cars, starting with the Fiat F2, the Alfa 2300 8C, Rolls Royce Phantom II Sedanca. The Rolls had 2000+ parts. Later they started to do modern cars like the F40 and Testarossa.
From what I hear many kits indeed did miss parts. This I learned this from people building the 'classic' kits. Some collectors have only now found time to build these kits and have a problem re-ordering the parts as Pocher's current owner (Hornby's) has no intention in this field (Pocher production stopped 10 years ago with the bankrupcy of then owner Rivarossi). The modern cars seem to be delivered complete.
On the net you will find some companies specializing in supplying missing parts from unfinished projects.

The Pocher story:
http://www.leggendae...ranslation).pdf

Thanks for the explanation Arjan. I didn't realize there was such a serious quality control problem with those kits. That's a pity. Certainly makes me think twice about buying one.

#239 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 21:26

Thanks for the explanation Arjan. I didn't realize there was such a serious quality control problem with those kits. That's a pity. Certainly makes me think twice about buying one.

I didn't mean to scare you :p , many kits will be complet. Just try to buy one directly from someone so you may check. On the other hand the search for replacemnt parts can be a challenge too.

Advertisement

#240 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 22:11

I didn't mean to scare you :p , many kits will be complet. Just try to buy one directly from someone so you may check. On the other hand the search for replacemnt parts can be a challenge too.

Did they sell built-up Testarossa's? I saw a couple at a local hobby shop a few years back. Wasn't sure if they were factory built or being resold by someone who had assembled them.

#241 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:43

I have just ordered one of these, from Racing Models:

http://www.racingmod...-143-1120-p.asp

which is intriguing - because there was no RAC TT in 1956!

In fact I think this is Castelotti's car from the 1955 race, which was the last-ever TT to be raced on a road circuit. In that race, Castelotti shared the car with Maurice Trintignant, not Hermann. Hermann wasn't at the '55 TT.

Did Hermann ever drive for Ferrari?

I stand to be corrected on all of the above...

Edited by Mal9444, 19 August 2009 - 06:44.

#242 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:13

I have just ordered one of these, from Racing Models:

http://www.racingmod...-143-1120-p.asp

which is intriguing - because there was no RAC TT in 1956!

In fact I think this is Castelotti's car from the 1955 race, which was the last-ever TT to be raced on a road circuit. In that race, Castelotti shared the car with Maurice Trintignant, not Hermann. Hermann wasn't at the '55 TT.

Did Hermann ever drive for Ferrari?

I stand to be corrected on all of the above...

Yes, from the 1955 race. Didn't Castellotti drive with Taruffi? I think Herrmann drove some sports car races for Ferrari in 1956.

Vince H.

#243 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:31

Yes, from the 1955 race. Didn't Castellotti drive with Taruffi? I think Herrmann drove some sports car races for Ferrari in 1956.

Vince H.

Vince, you are quite correct. The original entry list shows Castelloti paired with Trintignant and Taruffi paired with Magliogli, but the results in John Morre's booklet gives the results as the other way around, with Taruffi with Catelloti and Trintignant with Magliogli. This is confirmed in race bulletin No 1, a copy of which I have courtesy of Peter Sainty and the long Dundrod '55 thread. The thrid works Ferrari was for Gendeien and Maston Gregory, but the former crashed in practice and the car did not race.

I went through such biograhies of Hermann as I could find on the web and none mentions him driving for Ferrari even after '56 and the Mercedes withdrawal. He seems to have concentrated on German teams.

#244 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 13:06

Has someone confused Hermann with Von Trips? He drove Porsches, a 300SL in the 1956 Mille Miglia and for Ferrari in 1957-61

#245 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 21:29

Modelcarworld currently have some Minichamps racing cars at reduced prices (I am not affiliated with them in any way, I should add): http://www.modelcarw...id=newsletter33

#246 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:00

From Martin Krejci's site:

10.6.1956 Targa Florio 110T Ferrari 860 Monza 0628M Scuderia Ferrari 3rd Olivier Gendebien/Hans Herrmann
24.6.1956 Supercortemaggiore 66 Ferrari 500 Mondial Scuderia Ferrari DNF Wolfgang von Trips/Hans Herrmann

Vince H.

#247 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 18:47

I hope I need make no apology for re-posting these images on this thread having already done so on another related thread.

The first is a picture of a nice little 1/43rd Maserati A6GS in street configuration bought at last year’s Goodwood Revival off the JM Toys stand for the princely sum of £3.00 thinking I could convert it to represent a racing version to go into my little Dundrod TT collection.

Posted Image

I quickly realised that doing so was beyond my own very limited skills and it being such a lovely model I didn’t want to spoil it. So I called upon a stalwart of this forum, took him up on a kind offer made in an unguarded moment and packed it off to him some months later.

I got it back at this year’s event as you see it below:

Posted Image

Isn’t that just the bees knees? The Loens-Bonnier privately entered A6GS from the 1955 RAC TT at Dundrod.

Posted Image

And all he had to go on was the pause button on my MFQ vol 12 video of the race and this photograph

http://www.motorspor...arpages/190.htm

from Martyn Wainright’s wonderful book Motorsport in the 1950s.

It has quickly become the pride of my collection

#248 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:05

Looking for one to spraypaint a 1/87 transporter for me . Anyone ,please?

#249 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:04

Today at a toy show, I bought a Dinky Mercedes (W25?), Dinky model 23C. I think the model was made between 1946 and 1950. I got it for $60, which I thought was okay.

Someone else had some Polistil models, including a Ferrari 312T2 (1977?). But this 312T2 had double wheels on the back! I don't remember that! Did I miss something?

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#250 Igor_E

Igor_E

• 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 14:27

I have enjoyed reading the various model car threads here, especially Barry's wonderful 'Load of old rubbish' etc. and wondered, without stepping on anyone's toes, whether we could start a general model thread? Does your collection have a particular theme such as a particular team or make, or do you just buy models that take your fancy? I collect Ferrari GP cars and sports racers up to 1973, as well as cars I have owned, cars I have actually seen race, and various driver collections namely Hawthorn, Moss, plus Graham and Damon Hill. I should add I don't necessarily stick to those limits so have recently branched out into transporters.

Latest additions to the collection are the new Spark 1970 Matra MS120 and the 2008 F1 Ferrari from Hot Wheels. Demand is so high that the Massa version has already sold out and I was lucky to get the Kimi model.

What have you bought or built recently?

Well, here is the bad news, I finally ran out of space, so my collection Ferrari F1 and Schumi collection is kinda split between home, office and... six large boxes in the storage room.

For all intents and purposes, nothing beats 1:18 scale, unless you have a mansion to display huge Amalgam models :-) I resorted to 1:43s only because Ferrari of the early years have never been (and may not be built) in 1:18. (Actually, that would be really nice to have "La Storia" set in 1:18...)

In any case, I was also fascinated by B193 conversions built by few German folks, also it was pretty interesting to see all livery variations of Schumi's B193 and B194 to some degree.

So, I managed to collect some (most) of them). There you go."My Scumacher collection"
My favourites:
1993 B193 Portuguese GP
Posted Image
1994 B194 Australian GP
Posted Image
1995 B195 Pacific GP
Posted Image
1995 Ferrari412T - Estoril test

And last, but not the least - my own "creation" 1998 Ferrari F300 San Marino GP - "Tower Wings"
Posted Image

Final note, I'm really upset by Exoto. They screw up everything, their promises on Ferrari releases, quality, prices, they suck... So, my last addition is CMC Dino 156F1 "Sharknose" - absolute beauty. I wish they make more Ferrari models. They have the best details, workmanship and quality.

Best Regards to all
Igor