Where is Jacques Villeneuve?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
965 replies to this topic

#1 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 23:29

Anyone knows what is he doing?

He dropped out of Speedcar recently, I haven't heard anything since.

Advertisement

#2 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 23:30

Originally posted by DLaw
Anyone knows what is he doing?

He dropped out of Speedcar recently, I haven't heard anything since.

Changing Jules's diapers. :lol:

#3 WillG

WillG

• 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:57

Apparently he is trying to find a ride in Australian V8 Supercars.

#4 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:32

Originally posted by WillG
Apparently he is trying to find a ride in Australian V8 Supercars.

No, Paul Morris wanted him but JV denied pursuing that avenue.

http://www.torontosu...060906-sun.html

#5 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:35

Perhaps he is enjoying his money?

#6 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:39

Today he probably having Happy Birthday sung to him.

Happy Birthday JV :up:

#7 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:51

He should just stop trying to race. I am not a fan of him, but he does not deserve ending up in saloon cars competing with beer annihilating peers.

#8 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:07

Maybe he's still pursuing his musical career - remember that?... :eek:

#9 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:16

Cooling balls on the beach, enjoying in $$$

#10 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:24

How come another road racer like Max Papis has a Sprint Cup ride and not Jacques?

#11 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:44

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks
How come another road racer like Max Papis has a Sprint Cup ride and not Jacques?

Is that a serious question? Max is well known in the US, is based in the US, is friendly to US sponsors, has raced consistently in the US for years, is friendly to US media, etc, etc... In other words, all the things JVi is not.

Neil

#12 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:35

If he ever chose to return to Indy Cars, he would be welcomed with open arms. I don't see it happening, but he is still respected by many in this venue.

Hopefully he's enjoying his time, family, and money. He has a chance to grow old and see his children do the same. Something that I would think he treasures.

Brian

#13 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:46

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks

Max Papis has been, and still is I believe, the road course tester for Hendricks Motorsport. He does not have a Cup drive as such, he has done the odd Sprint Cup race like Watkins Glen last year and his oval debut this year.

Villeneuve is not a known NASCAR prospect and unlike Montoya isn't well connected in the NASCAR garage (Montoya of course well connected with Ganassi).

I think Villeneuve can get a Sprint Cup drive, because contrary to loud popular opinion here he is actually not a bad driver, as his CV is a good proof of. You don't have that type of CV if you are crap. But his chances of getting a Cup-driver rests solely on raising a budget for it. None of the top teams will give him a paid driver at this moment. His best chance is probably to find the budget to fund a satellite operation with a team like Hendricks, Rousch, Joe Gibbs, RCR or a similar operation.

Personally I think it's a shame he didn't put more effort in the Peugeot Le Mans-programme. But if he and his family wants to base themselves in North America I guess that is quite difficult to combine.

And I doubt Max Papis will ever find himself a full-time Sprint Cup-drive.

#14 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:53

Isn't he racing 24hours of Le Mans with Peugeot? At least he did last year and ended up 2nd.

#15 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:57

No Peugeot didn't put him in their line-up this year.

#16 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:39

He got out alive (unlike dad), uninjured (unlike uncle) and I hope he's happy and fulfilled. He had a great career, a fabulous rookie season F1 season, World Champ, Indy 500 winner, competitive in the 24hrs. He has nothing to prove to anyone.
Rock on JV, you are too cool and its F1's loss fellows like you and JPM moved away.

:cool:

#17 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:25

Cimon guys, there was a time that just to mention JV and you got 3000 posts.

What isn't he doing ALMS or something? Stupid Speedcar just doesn't cut it.

#18 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,318 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:31

Is this like F1's version or where is Wally?

#19 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:35

He's finding a seat in Indycar before Bourdais has to start looking

Or maybe he's at the same bar as Montoya, quaffing burgers and saying something like, "I could have been a contender... I could have been somebody... :( "

Advertisement

#20 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:38

think he said he was "too busy" todo le mans :lol: :(

#21 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:41

Oh, how the mighty have fallen - I guess...

He was 2nd in his first Indy 500 in 1994, won Indy in 1995 (after being 2 laps down) and was the CART champion that year (back in the days when it meant something)...

In F1, he started from pole in his first race and almost won it. World Champion in 1997. Remember that audacious pass at Jerez? Also, he is the kid of one certain Gilles Villeneuve...

#22 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:44

Originally posted by Gilles12
Or maybe he's at the same bar as Montoya, quaffing burgers and saying something like, "I could have been a contender... I could have been somebody... :( "

Come now, Villeneuve was World Champion and Indy 500 winner.

That're achievements to be extremely proud of.

#23 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:50

Originally posted by Gilles12
He's finding a seat in Indycar before Bourdais has to start looking

Montoya is doing very well in NASCAR, thank you very much.

Could have been? Not sure what you mean, both records speak for themselves.

#24 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:16

Originally posted by LuckyStrike1
I think Villeneuve can get a Sprint Cup drive, because contrary to loud popular opinion here he is actually not a bad driver, as his CV is a good proof of. You don't have that type of CV if you are crap.

CV tells you how good you were, not how good you are. There is a big difference when it comes to JV.

#25 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:28

As much as I've had issues with him ( well more like his fanbase ) in the past , my first thought when I read the posts in this thread was

'what left does he have to prove, aside from him actually being able to sing?'

#26 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:30

The joke in this thread is not that JV is no longer recognized as good as he once was its that people are STILL finding ways to try put his career down, and yet he is more successful than most in F1 now, and will ever be.

It was mentioned further up, he has nothing to prove. He has raced the best and come out on top, he is not only an F1 winner, he is an F1 champion. He won the Indy 500, perhaps when the field was at its strongest. He raced at Le mans, and before anyone says he was slow, its accepted his dry-weather pace was not to that of Minassian, and Montagny, but hell Minassian is probably one of the quickest sportscar drivers out there. And as a matter of fact, JV's wet weather driving was probably the quickest of the 908s!

JV has acheived more than 90% of todays drivers can even dream about! He had his time, he served it well, now let it go. Whatever makes people think he is still trying to prove himself, make sure his name is still known is just silly.

Ill tell you, JV earns more of my respect than a 7 time WDC who does seem to be wanting to make sure his name is still there, to make sure we havent forgot about him ;-)!

If anyone wants to bash JV, at least have a reason and dont just do it for the sake of it. If your going to argue, at least have a point!

#27 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:36

Originally posted by PNSD

Ill tell you, JV earns more of my respect than a 7 time WDC who does seem to be wanting to make sure his name is still there, to make sure we havent forgot about him ;-)!

Not that we're in any kinda respect pissing contest here , but what makes your opinion of Michael's motives the gold standard?

I respect Michael and I respect Jacques , for different reasons.

#28 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:46

Originally posted by TheD2JBug

Not that we're in any kinda respect pissing contest here , but what makes your opinion of Michael's motives the gold standard?

I respect Michael and I respect Jacques , for different reasons.

Was Michael not quoted a while back saying he can have limited involvment in the way he can help between the team and drivers, saying too much has changed since his time.

So from that we can guess his involvment is not to do with driver communication between the team, so what exactly can Michael offer to Ferrari? His exact job and involvment has never been made clear by Ferrari or him.

I to respect, in a different way, he is a 7time champ, thats gotta count for something for his ability, he clearly is/was the best of the best, anyone who denies that clearly was blind for the last 15 or so years! Until we have a clear understanding of his involvment within the Ferrari race team I can not see any other reason for him being there, other than him simply just being there. It has been said he was almost forced out of the driving seat to give way to Kimi. We can thank Luca for that. To me at least it seems he does not want to let go, and getting paid the rumoured £5mill is just, well silly? As a driver I can understand him getting paid alot, but like I said his role is not really known, or well explained, so how can they justify paying him that much, when clearly he does not need that money, and in concern of cost cutting it is a waste if you ask me.

#29 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 21:54

It is justified. He could easily work for other team thus in this perspective that 5mln € isn't waste.

#30 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 22:18

And do what he is doing?

And what is that?

That is my point.

What could he do at another team? What is his job? Why that much?

#31 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 22:38

If I had 30 million dollars I'd be doing anything I bloody hell wanted to.

JV was good. Now he's retired. There ya go.

The dude isn't full of himself hanging around the paddock trying to get some press or still be "involved". Give him a break. He's out spending the fruit of his labours. The guy could be in a Celine Dion cover band and touring Japan in a Delica and I'd still think he's a lucky man for being successful.

Next.

#32 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:49

If anyone wants to bash JV, at least have a reason and dont just do it for the sake of it. If your going to argue, at least have a point!

I'll take my cues from Patrick Head who has expressed how he felt that JV made a meal of winning in '97 in a car clearly miles ahead of the opposition

And that's what it looked like to most objective observers

#33 kinetiKid

kinetiKid

• 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:13

What did you expect Head to say? The guy was completely embarassed by JV and Clear, who repeatedly showed him that his setups were destroying HHF. Head still didn't listen, so they would go behind his back and change the settings without his knowledge. I don't blame PH for being bitter about it.

Not only must you have a well designed car, you must set it up correctly, from one weekend to the next. Newey built a car that was capable of being dominant, but using Head's setup recommendations, you wind up with HHF's point total.

Peter Baeke & Olga Molina: How good is Jacques technically? Is he more of a Senna-like technical perfectionist who can pinpoint engine or other technical malfunctions if arising? Or is he more the Mansell type of guy who just wants to drive as hard as possible and is not really interested in technical details?

Jock Clear: Technically very astute indeed, to the extent that in '96 he confronted some of the long held views at Williams, and Adrian Newey was quick to recognise his points and support them. He thinks about his job far more than people realise, his attention to safety issues is second to none. The good thing about JV is his comments are honest and considered with no political correctness underlying."

#34 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:39

So what happened at BAR when Jenson arrived?

Or at Sauber when Massa was his team mate?

Pff

#35 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:13

He should retire now and enjoy his money and speak out about current F1

One of the greatest drivers of the last 30 years in terms of achievement having to degrade himself to look for drives unsuccessfully in low quality series is the saddest spectacle in sport since Joe Louis had to end up as a shoeshine guy outside a New York hotel

#36 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 14:09

...he is more successful than most in F1 now, and will ever be.

:up: JV's career has amazing parallels to the latest F-1 God, Hammy. Immediately quick in his first season, barely missing out on the title. Won the title in his second season in a close battle with a Ferrari driver. Third season went to crap as the regulations changed and his car wasn't competitive.

#37 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:06

Originally posted by flyboy

:up: JV's career has amazing parallels to the latest F-1 God, Hammy. Immediately quick in his first season, barely missing out on the title. Won the title in his second season in a close battle with a Ferrari driver. Third season went to crap as the regulations changed and his car wasn't competitive.

They also both have **** managers, more interested in marketability and cash than making the best career moves.

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:07

Found him!

Posted Image

#39 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:11

sad :

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:16

Was reading the Peter Winsor interview, I think JV can have a role there with the USF1, development driver, driver coach, etc.

#41 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:19

I to respect, in a different way, he is a 7time champ, thats gotta count for something for his ability, he clearly is/was the best of the best, anyone who denies that clearly was blind for the last 15 or so years!

:rolleyes: pffffft, 'best of the best' my ass. :down: I deny! And am still not blind!

got way more respect for JV than that one.

#42 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:23

Where is Jacques Villeneuve?

Couldn't care less.

#43 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:25

Originally posted by Dragonfly

Couldn't care less.

Me too. Although he still seems to inspire demi-god status with some. Fair enough.

#44 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:25

Couldn't care less.

You care enough to add a post. thx

#45 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:27

Couldn't care less.

So what made you decide to not just click on a thread called "where is Jacques Villeneuve?", but then go to the bother of replying to it?

#46 cloudman

cloudman

• 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:45

I was wondering about what the status of the film about his father Gilles Villeneuve, which Jacques had helped start. It would be good to a good nostaligic F1 film. I can watch Grand Prix, LeMans and Winning only so often.

#47 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 15:48

Originally posted by Josta

So what made you decide to not just click on a thread called "where is Jacques Villeneuve?", but then go to the bother of replying to it?

The same that made someone to start a ...... thread. :rolleyes:

#48 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:05

The same that made someone to start a ...... thread. :rolleyes:

The person who started the thread clearly did care about it, hence starting the thread. If you don't care, then why join in the thread?

#49 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:10

Hmmm... I thought DLaw was simply asking a legitimate question... :

#50 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 17:10

Originally posted by cloudman
I was wondering about what the status of the film about his father Gilles Villeneuve, which Jacques had helped start. It would be good to a good nostaligic F1 film. I can watch Grand Prix, LeMans and Winning only so often.

There's a Villeneuve tribute movie with Scheckter, Enzo et al on YouTube

It's in ten parts or something

If you have realplayer you can download it :):):)