Photo

Time to replace Bourdais with Sato

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Time to replace Bourdais with Sato (137 member(s) have cast votes)

1. yes, get Sato in asap (71 votes [51.82%])

Percentage of vote: 51.82%

2. no, keep Seb (66 votes [48.18%])

Percentage of vote: 48.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:04

Bourdais has not improved on last season; infact, if anything he's worse.
It has proven to have been a mistake to keep him onboard; Takuma Sato should be contacted immediately with a view to replacing Bourdais after Bahrain.

Advertisement

#2 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:09

Sebastian Sato?

#3 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,903 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:09

My my, you're a prolific thread starter.

Is Sato the only person in the world that could step into an F1 car at this point? :lol:

#4 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:10

If Bourdais is to leave, they shouldnt get Sato. They should bring a new driver in. I would say this about every team, being Toro Rosso it makes even more sense to say it...

#5 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:11

Originally posted by Chubby_Deuce

Is Sato the only person in the world that could step into an F1 car at this point? :lol:

Yes. Yes he is. :up:

#6 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:12

Time to replace Piquet with Senna!!!

You should make another thread with this poll as well.

#7 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,903 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:14

Yes, more threads! :up:

#8 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:22

give Senna a run in Toro Rosso.

#9 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:18

Too early in the season to replace either Bourdais or Piquet, especially after two wet races where even the great and mighty went off track.

I say give them each two dry more dry races and if they continue to be **** get them both fired before their respective teams constructors championship aspirations are wrecked.

#10 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,795 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:13

Sato is not the answer, seems that Bourdais is not as good as I have rated him. 3 races into the season is too early to replace him, but if he were to be let go, Toro Rosso shold opt for another up and coming driver.

Senna
Grosjean
Parente

Or some such, we all know what Sato is all about, and he will not bring anything as a race driver. Toro Rosso might as well see if they can find the next real deal driver and go from there.

:cool:

#11 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:06

Nope Seb Bourdais is still doing good, but Buemi is getting ahead of him right now.

Drivers in worry for their place in F1 are only:
-Nelsinho Piquet
-Kazuki Nakajima

But with who? .. no ... not Sato.. experienced perhaps.. but why keeping with drivers like that?

Why not giving Bruno Senna a chance?
And also Pantano is still looking for a seat somewhere ... and he's got some experience also.
Maybe a Grosjean would be a outsider who could do well.

#12 Pato

Pato

• 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:10

I think STR made the wrong decision re-signing Bourdais for 2009, and his performances so far have proved my point.

They should get Sato in.

#13 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:13

Originally posted by Chubby_Deuce
My my, you're a prolific thread starter.

Where's Frans? It's round about now we get the cry for the return of Jos the Boss! :lol:

#14 Umpire

Umpire

• 804 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:14

I think there's many folks who would do better than Bourdais...and Sato may well be one of them :)

#15 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:16

One Nakadjima is enough. Oh, and I forgot Nelsinho ... :)

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:43

They'd do better to do a deal with the Americans and put Danica Patrick in the car:

A) Loads of publicity and the possibility of extra sponsorship.

B) When she fails to win a GP half the world could say "I told you so, she can't cut it"*.

C) When she succeeds in bringing it home, the same half of the world could say "I told you so, I always knew she was good".

D) She would do all that she is capable of, then go back to oval racing in which she runs with the top half dozen or so, this season's two IRL openers are demonstrating her limitations (But she's still better than most of the contributors to this site, whatever Walter Mitty fantasies we all have about our own prowess behind the wheel of a car).

*And neither could Schumacher in that car.

#17 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 14:56

I did't vote because, while I would definitely replace Bourdais, I certainly would not put Sato in the TR.

There must be several drivers out there who would be faster, don't make mistakes and don't crash.

Davison is one of them but I would put him in the 2nd Renault, and just maybe, Sato in the 2nd Williams as they clearly have to have a Japanese driver to keep Toyota on board.

Both cars need faster and less accident prone drivers.

Quickest fix for 2009 for TR would surely be to put Christian Klein in the car - he's already in the RB stable as a reserve driver so he could jump straight into the Newey car.

I would certainly replace Bourdais before the next race.

While he has an illustrious record in CART, he's just the latest of a series of CART/Indycar drivers who have not succeeded in adapting to F1. Pity

#18 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 15:05

Poor old Seabass. Gets to compete against Vettel who is the second coming of Schumacher, and against Buemi who looks to be very good too.
Seabass is doing a reasonable job, no way would Sato be better. Sato's F1 days are over. Now if you said stick Sato in Hideki Mutoh's seat, then I would agree with you.

#19 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 15:56

Sato is ridiculously overrated.

Advertisement

#20 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 16:13

Ant Davidson.

I'd swap him in for Bourdais, Fisi or PK.

#21 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 16:19

Originally posted by blackgerby
Poor old Seabass. Gets to compete against Vettel who is the second coming of Schumacher, and against Buemi who looks to be very good too.
Seabass is doing a reasonable job, no way would Sato be better. Sato's F1 days are over. Now if you said stick Sato in Hideki Mutoh's seat, then I would agree with you.

I'm inclined to agree; I think SB has been a tad unlucky in being paired with some pretty handy rookies. I too doubt that TS would be any better. Give Seb the rest of the season.

#22 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 61,073 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 17:08

Originally posted by Rob
Sato is ridiculously overrated.

I thought the thread was a joke.

#23 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 17:24

If Sato would be an improvement, Bourdais must really be bad.

#24 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 17:36

Better hire Hulkenberg and give him a try for real.

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 17:49

No one suggested has demonstrated anything to indicate they would do a better job with that car in that team. We've had three rather crazy races this year, we really shouldn't be drawing broad conclusions about intra-team rivalries. For instance the fastest lap of Bourdais was a second quicker than the fastest lap of Buemi. Maybe we're rushing to replace the wrong Sebastien?

Everyone chillax.

#26 rsherb

rsherb

• 348 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 18:07

I think Bourdais needs to at least get the better of Buemi pretty quickly, or his time must be limited. Toro Rosso are not known for driver stability in the face of perceived under performance, so I was surprised Bourdais was resigned for 2009. If he was an experienced safe pair of hands, I could have understood it, but he had only one season of experience, in which he was comprehensively beaten by Vettel, who was almost as much a rookie.

But Piquet must be also keeping a seat warm for some up & coming young talent...

#27 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 18:53

16 cars out of 20 have finished in the 'crazy' wet race today, that's totally ridiculous. We need proper races and supposedly crazy races should be really crazy. Bring Sato in and fast!

#28 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 19:27

Swap him for Charlie Chalk.

#29 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 19:41

Sato is entertaining-who doesn't like a bloke that overtakes without being asked to and blows engines up at all the wrong places?

But no-I don't know who could be his replacement,but that Bourdais has to go I'm sure of...sadly.

How about the guy that lost the diamond at the GH hairpin in Monaco a few years ago-Klien? Or Liuzzi...?

#30 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 20:22

Originally posted by Jedi_F1
And also Pantano is still looking for a seat somewhere ... and he's got some experience also.

Oh Jesus, let's not be having bloody Pantano mentioned on this forum as an F1 race-seat contender again !!!!!!

Sato and Pantano need to accept that they are simply never ever going to be F1 WDC, so they may as well just face facts and get a ride in Indycar sorted out as soon as one of the current drivers loses a sponsor.

#31 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 21:23

Danica Patrick is trying to prove me wrong by moving from her 20th position in qualifying to run in second after 41 laps!

Last lap she was fastest in the field.

#32 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 21:33

No. Way. Sato has had his chance.

#33 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 21:57

I would replace Bourdais with Anthony Davidson, but I would miss his commentary on the Practice sessions. Sato could replace Nakajima, as a Williams fan I am more than willing to take that risk he surely couldn't do any worse!!!!

#34 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 22:29

If she can handle Long Beach, Monaco should be no problem.........................

#35 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 22:37

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
Danica Patrick is trying to prove me wrong by moving from her 20th position in qualifying to run in second after 41 laps!

Last lap she was fastest in the field.

Take away the extremely lucky timing of the FCY, and things would have been very different. She didn't get all the way up on merit.

#36 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 00:16

Originally posted by Imperial
Too early in the season to replace either Bourdais or Piquet, especially after two wet races where even the great and mighty went off track.

I say give them each two dry more dry races and if they continue to be **** get them both fired before their respective teams constructors championship aspirations are wrecked.

piquet was **** enough last season and was nothing but a spinning and crashing machine-even in practice and quali hes been very slow, very poor, not even remotely close to alonso (that goes for last season as well as this season) and still hasn't shown he's even remotely worthy of an F1 drive during last season or this-if hes as bad next weekend i'd bin him and get someone else in before barcelona, because basically in my eyes hes a liability

#37 hellbent

hellbent

• 36 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:08

Time to replace Bourdais. Period.
Also, for the love of god, replace Piquet Jr. too!!!
Atrocious performances in Shanghai!!!

#38 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:22

Originally posted by blackgerby

Take away the extremely lucky timing of the FCY, and things would have been very different. She didn't get all the way up on merit.

She finished 4th - Clearly a complete failure then.................................

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:33

A nice solid and sensible drive, but hardly a swashbuckling performance. Keep up the ironic trolling though.

Advertisement

#40 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:05

A lot better to have Sato on the wheel. At this very moment Tro Rosso is completely lead by the Buemi. They need a better parter... for sure.

#41 Bos

Bos

• 134 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:45

I think it's way too early to decide whether he needs to be sacked. Remember, this is the same Seb who was beating Vettel last year in the first few races before STR got their hands on the new car. If we are to base a driver's performance on 3 races, then Vettel should have been sacked last year.

And even if Bourdais is to be sacked, how can ANYONE consciously recommend Senna or Parente or Di Grassi? Why do you think Rubens was kept this season? Cuz Ross Brawn knows it's SUCH a great idea to replace a veteran with a rookie when there's an in-season testing ban...Surely then, if a two weeks of pre-season testing won't be enough for a rookie, putting him in the car mid-season is a MUCH better idea. Compared to the aforementioned rookies, Sato and Davidson would be a much more reliable pair of hands.

But hey, you guys know better than Ross, no doubt.

Yes, you might argue that Buemi is a rookie, and he's doing ok. But Bourdais finished directly behind him in Australia (IIRC +0.2 secs). Malaysia Qualifying Buemi threw it off the road, and was classified 16th at the finish. Bourdais kept it on the road and finished in 10th. So I honestly don't understand where all this "OMG Buemi is the real deal and Bourdais needs to be sacked!!!" sentiment is coming from. Just because Jonathan Leggard is comes over all impressed whenever Buemi is on camera doesn't mean ... anything, really.