68 replies to this topic

#1 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:16

Finally!!

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/74843

Now, give us a win.

Not only for your own good, but to shut up all the morons.

Advertisement

#2 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:26

wow.its been 4 years since his last pole.. Time really flies.
Spa 05.

#3 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:28

It's been a long time coming, but I'm glad it's here. Go get'm tomorrow, JPM!

#4 SKL

SKL

• 1,415 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:15

And I'm sure whatever oval he's on tomorrow is as much fun as Eau Rouge... :rolleyes:

#5 Saint Devote

Saint Devote

• 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:15

Montoya turned against f1. Today he is bitter about it.

I doubt Montoya will ever be better than he is in NASCAR. The podgy midget win tomorrow against the good ole' boys? Unlikely auld sport.

He will probably crash out.

#6 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:40

Originally posted by SKL
And I'm sure whatever oval he's on tomorrow is as much fun as Eau Rouge... :rolleyes:

No but its probably scarier.. Just watch the first laps and the last few if you can bare it and get an education.

Prime example of someone opening their mouth about something they know nothing about.

#7 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:44

Originally posted by LB

No but its probably scarier.. Just watch the first laps and the last few if you can bare it and get an education.

Prime example of someone opening their mouth about something they know nothing about.

yes, Rascasse seems ignorant of nascar, especially 'dega & its perils.

#8 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:04

Originally posted by Saint Devote

I doubt Montoya will ever be better than he is in NASCAR. The podgy midget win tomorrow against the good ole' boys? Unlikely auld sport.

What would you rather he have done, stick around and bleed it out like Coulthard has?
If you feel up to it, watch tomorrow and find out whether he wins or crashes.
Either way, Talladega is an amazing race, 190mph for hours and inches apart the entire race and Montoya has been in this game long enough now to find friends and trust in a drafting race.

#9 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:00

And whoever thinks that todays nationwide race wasn't exciting is a bloody liar!

#10 gt40jim

gt40jim

• 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:16

Hi all, Having been blessed enough in life to have driven Formula Atlantics, FF1600's 8 lap records over the east coast, a pole at the Glen in a 427 Mkll Gt40 AND an ARCA car at Talladega. I can say that being in the pack at 180 mph with no real downforce on an undertired 3000 lb + car is every bit of a handful and hair raising as anything I have ever done! I have the utmost respect for that place. Don't diss what ya ain't done! Your car loving buddy Jim :up:

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:40

Montoya's a racer. He'll race his socks off a lawnmower if he ever has to, and that's why I admire him. But he was born out of his time for F1, he should have traded paint with guys like Mansell.

#12 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:49

Originally posted by Madera
Finally!!

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/74843

Now, give us a win.

Not only for your own good, but to shut up all the morons.

He's already won in NASCAR?

#13 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:17

Yes, albeit on a road course.

#14 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:24

Originally posted by gt40jim
Hi all, Having been blessed enough in life to have driven Formula Atlantics, FF1600's 8 lap records over the east coast, a pole at the Glen in a 427 Mkll Gt40 AND an ARCA car at Talladega. I can say that being in the pack at 180 mph with no real downforce on an undertired 3000 lb + car is every bit of a handful and hair raising as anything I have ever done! I have the utmost respect for that place. Don't diss what ya ain't done! Your car loving buddy Jim :up:

Wow I'm impressed. No not a joke. I never got to drive a GT40 :cry: Watch out though. Now the popcorn box experts who never drove anything will start calling you a wannabe or never was or living in the past. Actual racing experience at Cesspool Comments is not considered to be an asset or add to credibility.

#15 MWM

MWM

• 426 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:42

Originally posted by gt40jim
Don't diss what ya ain't done!

Does that include incest and Morris dancing?

Anyway - it is definitely good to get the views of somebody who has actually done it on this board, so good to hear from you.

#16 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:49

Im pissed that my cable company stopped airing NASCAR :( JPM was a exciting driver in F1 and what i have seen him in NASCAR he is as exciting as ever :)

#17 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:08

8. Scott Speed Toyota 187.824 50.984s + 0.094s

Not bad, how long has he been doing this?

#18 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:20

Originally posted by Buford

Wow I'm impressed. No not a joke. I never got to drive a GT40 :cry: Watch out though. Now the popcorn box experts who never drove anything will start calling you a wannabe or never was or living in the past. Actual racing experience at Cesspool Comments is not considered to be an asset or add to credibility.

:up: :up: :up:

It's true jim, your in danger if you actually knowing what your talkng about around here especially if you can back it up with experience :lol:

#19 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:28

Well, congrats to JPM :up:

I certainly don´t like Talladega lottery (yes, lottery - avoiding the Big Ones depends more on luck than skill), but Monty has done well this year and it would be nice to see him win. I might tune in to check out the last 20 laps or so.

Advertisement

#20 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:30

Originally posted by Atreiu
Montoya's a racer. He'll race his socks off a lawnmower if he ever has to, and that's why I admire him. But he was born out of his time for F1, he should have traded paint with guys like Mansell.

Yup.

Go JPM. :up:

#21 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:22

Originally posted by micra_k10

This is his first year with the big cars and if I'm not mistaken, his best result in qualifying to date.

#22 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 14:18

No, and no.

#23 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 14:24

Originally posted by cheapracer
:up: :up: :up:

It's true jim, your in danger if you actually knowing what your talkng about around here especially if you can back it up with experience :lol:

Oh really, you find this place a filthy, evil and corrupt place? Buford is an idiot, leave him alone.

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 14:31

Your experience would have been a great asset for this forum if it wasn't for all the unbelievable bitterness, negativism, and patronising nonsense that makes it impossible for it to contribute positively to a discussion.

#25 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 16:15

Nascar?

Is that the one where you get to eat all the burgers you like and get a supersize me cupholder as standard?

Monster should fit right in

#26 msarmiento

msarmiento

• 190 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 16:24

not to take anything from S. Speed but:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Scott Speed Toyota 187.824 50.984s + 0.094s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by micra_k10

From Talladega pole winner interview:

AFTER YOU POSTED YOUR TIME, WHICH DRIVER WERE YOU MOST CONCERNED ABOUT THAT MIGHT BEAT YOU?

JPM:"Martin (Truex) my teammate. I thought Martin had a chance of beating us. And a couple of go or go-home cars. If you really remember, we've got race trim in the car. We're maxed out for speed and stuff, but you don't have qualifying oils, you don't have the alternator disconnected, you don't have the power steering disconnected none of that stuff. So you're always thinking you take all that stuff off, you could run two or three tenths faster. So the chance of one of those guys beating you is always pretty high."

#27 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 17:13

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

What would you rather he have done, stick around and bleed it out like Coulthard has?

Get over it and stop blaming the sport? :wave:

#28 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 17:16

The chip on your shoulder is your problem, not the members of this board, if you are bipolar go get that taken care of... :rolleyes:

#29 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 17:26

Originally posted by Slyder
And whoever thinks that todays nationwide race wasn't exciting is a bloody liar!

Anyone who bothered to watch it, and then appear to be proud of it, is just sad.

#30 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 17:56

Originally posted by wide-front-wing

The chip on your shoulder is your problem, not the members of this board, if you are bipolar go get that taken care of... :rolleyes:

Nah it's all recreation for me. I am just mean enough to actually enjoy ruffling the feathers of know nothing never got closer to a racing car than row 23 of the grandstand Internet keyboard jockey popcorn box "racing experts." Or as the old saying goes... I don't suffer fools gladly. Of course not everybody here falls into that category, but certainly 80% at least do. Please tell me how can you look at the vast majority of the posts on this forum and not think you are in the company of morons? Vastly different than the other Atlas racing forum available here where the vast majority of the people who post actually do know what they're talking about.

#31 gt40jim

gt40jim

• 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 00:44

I enjoy ALL the Atlas forums! Jim :clap:

#32 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,358 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 00:53

Originally posted by BMW_F1
wow.its been 4 years since his last pole.. Time really flies.
Spa 05.

sry for being off topic, but if you compare that to the circuits in shanghai or manama... you got to cry. bring back imola, suzuka and pre-castrated hockenheim! :>

#33 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:38

Please tell me how can you look at the vast majority of the posts on this forum and not think you are in the company of morons?

Because people are basically good, and race fans are basically knowledge people with the best of intentions. You need to learn to tell yourself that. How do I do it? I'm an adult, I've made it to that level of maturity.

Your attitude here is basically anti-social - which is why very few here, if anyone, suffers YOU.

#34 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:39

Originally posted by Gilles12
Nascar?

Is that the one where you get to eat all the burgers you like and get a supersize me cupholder as standard?

#35 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:02

Originally posted by Gilles12
Nascar?

Moron. May a broccolli fed rhino fart in your diving bell! :eek:

#36 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:13

Originally posted by wide-front-wing

Because people are basically good, and race fans are basically knowledge people with the best of intentions.

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya

Someone’s crying, Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya

#37 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:01

Originally posted by LB

No but its probably scarier..

So you're saying they need to hold a race in Washington D.C.? :p

#38 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:59

20th!! way to go Monty ;)

#39 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:15

In the words of Jimmie Johnson "Man it really sucks to race here"

Montoya up at the top of the field all day, drafting and having friends and looking racey and settling down for the finishing stretch. Avoided the big one, the first that is. Got pushed from behind by Hamlin which caused the second big one.

It really sucks to be race here.

Still, this was another race that showed Montoya and the team having taken a big step forward this year and he is still in the hunt for the Chase looking strong at all kind of tracks so far this season.

Advertisement

#40 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:41

Running that fast and that close does bring luck into the equation. JPM ran out of his at the end of the race.

#41 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 13:59

O Lord, kumbaya

O Lord, kumbaya

Are you always so relentlessly tedious?

#42 Thunder Chat

Thunder Chat

• 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:22

I've tried to watch nascar a few times, struggle with it though there are so many races in a year, they get so many points? and it seems to be about having a good set of cars for yourself for the year, and people in the field who will 'help' you in the race. Monty has a lot of natural ability, and is in a good team i thought so what is it he's been missing? i did expect him have done better than he has, can anyone who knows about such things explain?

#43 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:30

Actual racing experience at Cesspool Comments is not considered to be an asset or add to credibility.

Credibility? What is that? You make it sound like who is talking has some relevance to what is being said or discussed. It doesn't. If you don't get it, study some elementary logic, then you will.

#44 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:37

Originally posted by Thunder Chat
I've tried to watch nascar a few times, struggle with it though there are so many races in a year, they get so many points? and it seems to be about having a good set of cars for yourself for the year, and people in the field who will 'help' you in the race. Monty has a lot of natural ability, and is in a good team i thought so what is it he's been missing? i did expect him have done better than he has, can anyone who knows about such things explain?

Well, he's not in a good team. An improving one that is getting there, but not good. Also JPM himself is still improving.

The help thing only applies at the plate tracks, Daytona and Talladega, ordinarily.

Good cars are required like any other series.

#45 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:48

Originally posted by Thunder Chat

The competition is very tight. Look at Jeff Gordon for example, he is considered one of the best drivers, if not the best, in NASCAR, yet he's only won 1 race in the last 2 and half years despite always having top equipment and team. Montoya is not driving for a top team, he never has actually. There are 4 organizations in NASCAR which pretty much dominate and take all the wins in a season, they have the most resources ($$$), better crews, best equipment..etc. Each one of these organizations (Gibbs, Hendrick, Rousch, Childress) fields up to 5 cars, which means there are always ~12 drivers with good equipment capable of winning a race. Of course there are races where one or two of these teams are nowhere in terms of setup. The best driver/crew combination in any given race out of these top teams is typically the winner ..(i.e Kyle Busch, Jimmy Johnson, Carl Edwards) - There are also some under performers (2 or 3) in these teams that are never a factor in the races.

There are also second tier teams (Petty, Penske, EarnhardtGanassi - Montoya's team, Waltrip, RedBull - Scott Speed).. , these guys can sneak up a win here and there when most of the top guns I mentioned above have a bad day which as you can imagine is extremely difficult for it happen since there are so many of them. The race last Sunday was a restrictor plate race, (there are 4 of them in the year out of 36 races), where cars run flat out throughout and tightly packed. These races are basically a lottery where the most important part is to try and survive the wrecks and have a fast car for the last 10 laps of the race where you can actually make something happen - a good drafting partner is also needed for these, without it you are nowhere.

#46 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,600 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:54

Originally posted by HSJ
Credibility? What is that? You make it sound like who is talking has some relevance to what is being said or discussed. It doesn't. If you don't get it, study some elementary logic, then you will.

Who is more likely to know what I had for breakfast, me or you?

Bacon butty, by the way, with red sauce. No egg, which in hindsight was an error.

#47 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:05

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't think the last 10 laps of Talledega was exciting doesn't know anything about racing. That's as spectacular as it gets, folks. And thankfully no one was seriously hurt by the flying debris (though one woman has a broken jaw).

And the best piece of driving I've seen anywhere this year was Kyle Busch almost saving himself once his car started to pendulum at 190mph. Amazing stuff.

Montoya is the real deal in NASCAR. His car isn't up to snuff for him to challenge for the Cup, but hopefully it will soon. Then we'll get to see more of Connie cheering on her man.

#48 brawngpteam.com

brawngpteam.com

• 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:18

Montoya always seemed like an arrogant sob to me. Very similar to the way Alonso is acting. For some drivers it seems to go to their head and they feel as if they natural born right is to demand whatever they want because they deem themselves 'special'. I was thinking about montoya the other day and was surprised at how quickly he went from hero to zero.

Bit of a david beckham? From Europe to the USA. Will he be back one day?

#49 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:26

Bit different to that. JPM has made a sideways move, Beckham took a dive.

#50 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:29

hey, I saw Beckam playing for Milan the other day.. Beckam and Posh were going to Hollywood and far away from home, JPM was coming back home and to face a new challenge where there is actually more racing and passing involved.