Photo

2009 Indianapolis 500 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
738 replies to this topic

#1 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 19:46

I don't know if this tread will be merged into the IndyCar thread, but I think the biggest race in the world deserves its own thread, simply because it lasts for an entire month! I belive Dixon will win it after a mad dash for the cash the last 15 laps against Castroneves. I don't believ that Kanaan will break his Indy duck, simply because AGR doesn't seem to have an edge like they've had previously. If Kansas is anything to go by, Briscoe could be major challenger for a win, and of course it's fun with Indy upsets! The 20 latest winner are:

1989 Emerson Fittipaldi
1990 Arie Luyendyk
1991 Rick Mears
1992 Al Unser, Jr.
1993 Emerson Fittipaldi
1994 Al Unser, Jr.
1995 Jacques Villeneuve
1996 Buddy Lazier
1997 Arie Luyendyk
1998 Eddie Cheever
1999 Kenny Bräck
2000 Juan Pablo Montoya
2001 Hélio Castroneves
2002 Hélio Castroneves
2003 Gil de Ferran
2004 Buddy Rice
2005 Dan Wheldon
2006 Sam Hornish, Jr.
2007 Dario Franchitti
2008 Scott Dixon

The winning entrants are:
1989 Patrick Racing
1990 Shierson Racing
1991 Marlboro Team Penske
1992 Galles Racing
1993 Marlboro Team Penske
1994 Marlboro Team Penske
1995 Forsythe/Green Racing
1996 Hemelgarn Racing
1997 Treadway Racing
1998 Team Cheever
1999 A.J. Foyt Enterprises
2000 Chip Ganassi Racing
2001 Marlboro Team Penske
2002 Marlboro Team Penske
2003 Marlboro Team Penske
2004 Rahal Letterman Racing
2005 Andretti Green Racing
2006 Marlboro Team Penske
2007 Andretti Green Racing
2008 Chip Ganassi Racing

Advertisement

#2 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:10

100 year history from the Indy Star:

http://www.indystar....S/90429082/1004

Brian

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:56

I see Alex Lloyd is to get his annual outing in a racing car, what a complete waste of talent.................................

#4 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 13:15

I wish they'd air it on FTA in the UK, It's one of the big three. Hate sky sports.

I also wish it was part of the F1 championship, like it used to be. Then it'd be like an extra skill for F1 drivers.

Edited by Blythy, 02 May 2009 - 13:18.

#5 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 13:18

I wish they'd air it on FTA in the UK, It's one of the big three. Hate sky sports.

Not enjoying Sky SPorts at all. Since they got NASCAR, Indycar is on delayed coverage if both clash. Hopefully when the next TV deal comes up, the likes of Eurosport will bid for the rights. Sky Sports might not want to spend as much now they have NASCAR.

#6 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 13:21

I see Alex Lloyd is to get his annual outing in a racing car, what a complete waste of talent.................................

I couldn't agree more, but this year at least he'll get a Ganassi car, so I hope he can have a chance getting into top five this year, wich could be key for a future full time chance! Hopefully, a good result can even give him a sponsor for the rest of the year in a third Ganassi car!

#7 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 14:56

I would query whether it is "the biggest race in the world" - unless you are one of those many Americans who seem to think the good ol US of A is "the World"

Biggest in America yes - a very important date on the motorsport calendar yes - but the no1 event - not so sure.

#8 Newtsche

Newtsche

• 403 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 17:10

I would query whether it is "the biggest race in the world" - unless you are one of those many Americans who seem to think the good ol US of A is "the World"

Biggest in America yes - a very important date on the motorsport calendar yes - but the no1 event - not so sure.

For many years now, the conventional wisdom has been the biggest race in the world isn't even the biggest race in town anymore. The 500 has more respect than recent years but I can't imagine how it will ever regain its past reputation. I will say, before the split, I attended many 500's. For that one day in May, it was the center of the universe.

#9 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 18:27

Juan Pablo Montoya for the Ages.

#10 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 18:35

For many years now, the conventional wisdom has been the biggest race in the world isn't even the biggest race in town anymore. The 500 has more respect than recent years but I can't imagine how it will ever regain its past reputation. I will say, before the split, I attended many 500's. For that one day in May, it was the center of the universe.

NASCAR fans would prob say that the Daytona 500 is bigger now. In terms of media coverage and viewership they might well be right.

#11 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 18:59

NASCAR fans would prob say that the Daytona 500 is bigger now. In terms of media coverage and viewership they might well be right.

NASCAR has lost as many fans as it has gained (especially Daytona is not near what it once was). All it has is its own quasi-network.

I don't think there is ANY number one race in the world anymore. Everything is a dim shadow of what once was.

#12 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 19:01

NASCAR has lost as many fans as it has gained (especially Daytona is not near what it once was). All it has is its own quasi-network.

I don't think there is ANY number one race in the world anymore. Everything is a dim shadow of what once was.

Hasn't NASCAR now grown to the No2 watched sport in the US after the NFL ? It definately didn't hold this position 10 or 15 years ago.

#13 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 19:04

So.....is it confirmed now that Paul Tracy will be running in this year's 500, what was the deal again and who with?

If true, then :clap:

#14 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 19:12

So.....is it confirmed now that Paul Tracy will be running in this year's 500, what was the deal again and who with?

If true, then :clap:

Yes, he'll run with car number 14 (?) with KV Racing Technology, alongside Mário Moraes! I'm unsure who the third driver entered will be, but I guess that's already done and dusted! As for as Tracy is concerned, I'd be surprised if he gets into top 15 in qualifying, but equally surprised if he didn't qualify at all!

#15 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 19:26

Yes, he'll run with car number 14 (?) with KV Racing Technology, alongside Mário Moraes! I'm unsure who the third driver entered will be, but I guess that's already done and dusted! As for as Tracy is concerned, I'd be surprised if he gets into top 15 in qualifying, but equally surprised if he didn't qualify at all!

Awesome. Qualifying ultimately doesn't mean everything in this race, drivers can still work their way up the field, I just hope his car won't be a dog and he gets sufficient practice time to familiarise himself with the car. Which means: no rain please which cancelled out a lot of practice sessions over the last couple of years.

#16 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 21:34

Unsure of what Tracy's number will be, not 14 though. A.J. Foyt's car with Vitor Meira will have that number on board.

Brian

#17 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:20

Tracy will be #15. His teammate is #5

#18 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:33

I'm rooting for Will Power. I like the way he's handled himself this year and would hope, if he wins Indy, he could find sponsorship for the remainder of the year. If not him, then Kanaan.

#19 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:13

Regarding Kanaan, his Indy view in this mornings Indy Star:

http://www.indystar....4/1052/SPORTS01

As for Will Power, a victory for him would be sweet indeed. Keep in mind that "our" very own Nigel Beresford will be engineering his Verizon Penske. Best wishes to all for a safe, successful run at the Speedway.

Brian Brown

Advertisement

#20 Flynnie

Flynnie

• 270 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:15

Hasn't NASCAR now grown to the No2 watched sport in the US after the NFL ? It definately didn't hold this position 10 or 15 years ago.

Sort of, but it's a slightly dodgy claim. It's easy to claim number 2 when you consider baseball fans watch 15 different games every weekend when every NASCAR fan watching TV on a Sunday afternoon watches 1 event.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:45

I'm sure there is an answer to this out there somewhere, but why is Scott Dixon running No. 9 this year rather than the champion's No. 1 ?

#22 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 15:26

I believe Dixon is running #9 by choice. If there is a more specific reason, I'm unsure of what it may be. It seems like many previous year champions have had miserable runs of luck with #1 on their cars. Superstitions possibly?

It looks like weather is supposed to cooperate on Thursday for my Dad, brother and I to go to the track, our 45th year in a row that we've been able to attend together. Dad started in 1957, a year before I was born. I'll be there for Pole Day, Bump Day and the race also. Maybe with another practice day or two thrown into the mix. I'll take and post photos.

Brian

#23 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 15:42

I believe Dixon is running #9 by choice. If there is a more specific reason, I'm unsure of what it may be. It seems like many previous year champions have had miserable runs of luck with #1 on their cars. Superstitions possibly?

Could be, he had a terrible run with 1 on his car in 2004...

#24 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 15:48

The Antipodes are half a shot given the cars our boys are sitting in.

#25 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 16:04

The field looks solid

Now I just hope for a dry race.

I think Franchitti and Dixon will contend for victory and maybe Briscoe.

#26 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 16:28

The Antipodes are half a shot given the cars our boys are sitting in.

Yep, I think Dixon, Briscoe and Power can all do it.

Quite amazing to think of the revival of Kiwis and Aussies at the top at the moment.

Edited by potmotr, 04 May 2009 - 16:30.

#27 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 20:33

I personally think that all three mentioned above are serious contenders. More importantly, to me, they seem to be really decent guys. I was very happy for Dixon last year. All three should grab plenty of headlines throughout the month.

Brian

#28 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:40

I didn't know whether to put this on the "Worst Commentators" thread or here... None the less here is Robin Miller (Open Wheel Journalist - who is rootin=tootin for NASCAR and Bob Varsha - F1 analyst on SPEED)

http://multimedia.fo...-open-wheel.htm

#29 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:59

Tagliani confirmed for Indy, well if he makes the cut...

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/75056

There's no doubt he's alright, but I doubt whether Conquest can put up anything special this month!

#30 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:47

Regarding Kanaan, his Indy view in this mornings Indy Star:

As for Will Power, a victory for him would be sweet indeed. Keep in mind that "our" very own Nigel Beresford will be engineering his Verizon Penske. Best wishes to all for a safe, successful run at the Speedway.

Brian Brown

Not necessarily true when you look at the cost of coverage - in terms of having some sort of presence at 100 games vs the NASCAR schedule. In the end - for the company spending the dollars to market, NASCAR is far better. And ironically the best example which proves that is right here in this thread - The Indy500.

#31 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 16:16

No one is talking about the IRL's thoughts on commiting suicide?

http://www.ibj.com/h....?content=36807

My guess is that if this comes true the largest stake holders would be:

Penske: Past leadership - is looking to buy the Saturn brand off of GM - which could be used to badge engines.
AGR: Owns stake in numorous venues.
Kalkoven: Also owns Long Beach/Pi/Cosworth - which could be those engines badged as Saturn (plenty out there).
Haas: Still has exclusivity with Panoz as a distributor - also has some times in with venues either directly or through his partnership with Lanigan.

There you have a Manufacture - Engine and Electronics Supplier - Chassis distributor - Seven venues (at least) and plenty of Reynards/Dallaras & Lolas for everyone.

Team owners with the ability to make some cash and an inherent interest to see it succeed.

Now all you need is Paul Gentilozzi to run it :rotfl:

Edited by aportinga, 05 May 2009 - 16:18.

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 18:21

I didn't know whether to put this on the "Worst Commentators" thread or here... None the less here is Robin Miller (Open Wheel Journalist - who is rootin=tootin for NASCAR and Bob Varsha - F1 analyst on SPEED)

http://multimedia.fo...-open-wheel.htm

Andy... Worst commentators?
That video is a wonderful characterization of the MAC/PC advert and conveys the juxtaposition that embodies racin' fans in America.

Now...More to the point.
I am thinking of having a Monaco/Indy/Charlotte get together at a Pub here in the London area.

ANYBODY UP FER IT?

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 05 May 2009 - 18:22.

#33 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 19:40

Andy... Worst commentators?
That video is a wonderful characterization of the MAC/PC advert and conveys the juxtaposition that embodies racin' fans in America.

Now...More to the point.
I am thinking of having a Monaco/Indy/Charlotte get together at a Pub here in the London area.

ANYBODY UP FER IT?

Jp

I think Varsha is the best we've ever had and RM would have been my logical selectiion for the booth in the IRL this season - along with Parker Johnstone and Tommy Kendal.

:stoned: Dunkles :stoned:

I get the Mac/Pc thing BTW

Edited by aportinga, 05 May 2009 - 19:40.

#34 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 21:46

I'm sure there is an answer to this out there somewhere, but why is Scott Dixon running No. 9 this year rather than the champion's No. 1 ?

Target asked him to.

#35 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:35

I personally think that all three mentioned above are serious contenders. More importantly, to me, they seem to be really decent guys. I was very happy for Dixon last year. All three should grab plenty of headlines throughout the month.

Brian

When I saw that I had to share it on here but I didn't think I could find it. Good stuff.

#36 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:30

Getting back to the 2009 Indianapolis 500.

It was opening day at the track. Paul Tracy was fastest. Phillippe and Barrett failed to pass their rookie tests and will try to complete it tomorrow. Doornbos, Conway, Matos, and Tagliani all completed their rookie tests.

Edited by red stick, 06 May 2009 - 02:36.

#37 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:53

Paul Tracy was fastest.

Well, duh, he's won there already.
And he's gonna win it again.
That's why he's my avatar for the month.
 ;)

#38 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:10

The biggest race in the world? Perhaps not.

On the other hand: The Indy 500 is THE race that would have any European topdriver (Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, I don't care who) shaking in his boots if he had to drive there.

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:18

On the other hand: The Indy 500 is THE race that would have any European topdriver (Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, I don't care who) shaking in his boots if he had to drive there.

It depends on how you define big. Attendance, TV ratings, perceived value within the racing world?

And no, I don't think they'd be that inimidated by it. The speeds are still high but the cars are more biased towards mid-corner grip these days so they wouldn't be daunting to an F1 driver.

Advertisement

#40 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:19

In this day and age when F1 is like the powder puff derby maybe so. But guys like Brabham, Clark, Hill, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Mansell, Rindt, Hulme, Rodriguez, and many more gave us great drives, thrills, and memories for a couple decades. Most of them had no trouble adapting at all.

Edited by Buford, 06 May 2009 - 06:20.

#41 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:41

Buford: all those guys respected Indy, didn't they? In the sense of: Oops. We're not in Kansas anymore (or Rome, or Paris, or London). Chris Amon was spooked by Indy. While he had no trouble at all driving 200 mph per hour past trees at the Ring or Spa...

#42 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:08

Absolute rubbish. Not one of them would be too scared to take part. Just because the event doesn't register on their radar, doesn't mean they are scared.

#43 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:25

What's changed since 2000, when JPM won in a desultory manner, before he was even a real "topdriver?":

Media and drivers were critical of the way Juan Pablo approached the Brickyard, many IRL drivers labelled him as reckless and predicted an early retirement from the race. The media activity around the event was intense, with Montoya and his CART teammate Jimmy Vasser being the first CART drivers to "cross-over" to drive in the Indy 500. Despite public warnings from two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, Jr. claiming that if a driver doesn't respect the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the place "will bite you - hard" Montoya shrugged off the advice claiming that all four corners were exactly the same and that the track required less attention than the road courses in the CART series and in European racing.

In the event, the Colombian star led 167 of 200 laps and claimed top honours at the end of the 500-mile (800 km) race, taking an easy victory on his first attempt.

#44 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:30

To be fair though, as awesome as Montoya was in American racing, he'd done a year of short ovals and superspeedways in CART in 1999, so a 2000-spec IRL car at Indianapolis was nothing.

But he wasn't over-awed by ovals in CART either. The guy was a rare breed. Most drivers, no matter how good, are tentative on the ovals at first. Or they crash and are then tentative until they find comfort again.

Id love to see Montoya go back to Indy with Ganassi. I don't think it'd be quite so easy this time around. He had very little competition in 2000.

#45 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:33

Montoya shrugged off the advice claiming that all four corners were exactly the same and that the track required less attention than the road courses in the CART series and in European racing.

Are they?

I play indianapolis in NR2003 simulation and those 4 corners all feel different, although when you look at them geometrically they are the same. I think it is because you approach corner 1 with a different speed than corner 2. Hmmm since Nascar is lazy and accelerates slower than Indycar maybe Indycar approaches those corners at exactly the same speed, I do not know?

#46 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:42

Buford: all those guys respected Indy, didn't they? In the sense of: Oops. We're not in Kansas anymore (or Rome, or Paris, or London). Chris Amon was spooked by Indy. While he had no trouble at all driving 200 mph per hour past trees at the Ring or Spa...

Yeah Chris was spooked by Indy and did lousy and Rindt hated it too but did pretty well. They all respected it I think. The traditions and most of all the money. It was much more money than F1 paid in the 60s and 70's anyway. Most were awe struck by their first race day with three times more people there than they had ever raced in front of before, unless they had run Le Mans. There was a time when the best drivers in the world raced there, under USAC and CART. Something about the IRL though attracted dentists and rodeo clowns and the whores of government leaders instead and the track owner didn't seem to think that would make any difference.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:43

Montoya shrugged off the advice claiming that all four corners were exactly the same and that the track required less attention than the road courses in the CART series and in European racing.

Are they?

I play indianapolis in NR2003 simulation and those 4 corners all feel different, although when you look at them geometrically they are the same. I think it is because you approach corner 1 with a different speed than corner 2. Hmmm since Nascar is lazy and accelerates slower than Indycar maybe Indycar approaches those corners at exactly the same speed, I do not know?

I've often wondered, given it's age and that it does have 4 individual turns, whether Indianapolis is perfectly symetrical.

Even if it was, you'd get different aero affects in each corner based on the the locations of grandstands and buildings and how they block/affect the wind. For instance the back stretch is pretty much open on either side whereas the front straight has more grandstand and buildingage than any race track I can think of.

If nothing else the sightline going into turn 1 is different. Because of the way the grandstands are set and in particular the end of the pitwall, it looks a hell of a lot tighter than the rest of them.

#48 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:20

A recap of yesterday courtesy of the Indy Star:

At the end of the article it states that Townsend Bell is likely for the third KV car and that Oriol Servia is in the mix with Rahal Letterman for the second week. I've heard Buddy Rice's name mentioned with RLR also. I think that Rice is one guy that really should be in a car, his late charge to victory in 2004 was quite exciting. Not to take anything away from Bell & Servia, mind you.

Brian

#49 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 14:50

I disagree - today's F1 drivers are marys when it comes to super speedway racing.

#50 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 16:21

Haven't most F1 drivers said they wouldn't consider driving at the 500. I am pretty damn sure Barichello and Schumacher have both said they wouldn't drive there saying it was to dangerous.