Posted 03 June 2009 - 20:59

http://www.usatoday....367786393_x.htm

Requiescat in pace.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 23:46

Again, like Maggs, news I was expecting after Bob was taken very ill a few months back. What impressed me about Bob was the devotion to his wife & how he could be happy relaxing in the garden or with nature just as much as he was racing. Very decent driver too, it must be said.
RIP. :cry:

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 00:23

Very sad news. With the recent passing of Danny Kladis, that's two of the three oldest recently surviving Indy 500 drivers gone in just over a month.

Edited by Rob G, 04 June 2009 - 00:25.

#4 TrackDog

TrackDog

• 335 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:36

I'm sure the "U.S.A.C. Stock Car Race at Daytona in 1959" was the ill-fated Indy car race we've discussed here at the Forum.

I remember him, but just barely...I wish I knew more about him. RIP, Bob.

Dan

#5 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:35

Sad news, RIP "Caveman"! :cry:

I'm sure the "U.S.A.C. Stock Car Race at Daytona in 1959" was the ill-fated Indy car race we've discussed here at the Forum.

Strange how every race of the past today is a Stock Car race, but yes, it was the Daytona Indy Car race, and Bob not only finished 3rd, he did so with an antique of a racing car that hadn't even qualified for half the races it had been entered in so far, and was probably only kept by the team because it was desperate and out of money after one season in hell the year before. Bob also finished third in the Formula Libre race later that day (and thus probably saved Federal Engineering from going out of business), but apart from that he only ever collected also-ran finishes in open-wheel racing, although I believe he did quite well in Stock Cars. His best result other than Daytona in 14 National Championship races (out of 24 tries) was 9th at Milwaukee in 1961, and at Indy he qualified eight years in a row (out of thirteen tries, also in succession), and finished four times: once in tenth, and three times in 13th. I'll always remember him for his sunny disposition, as in every picture of him you can see him smile, and if he's around other people chances are they are smiling, too! He was often refered to as "the Oregon Caveman", but the moniker was entirely affectionate, as there was nothing neanderthal about him, and I don't really know where it came from - Len Sutton would've known, probably, but he's no longer with us, either. :(

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,998 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:52

I heard it was because he was a tour guide around the Oregon caves in the off-season, but that could be a folk etymology.

#7 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 15:05

From Donald Davidson at indianapolismotorspeedway.com:

http://www.indianapo...stie_Dies_At_85

RIP Mr. Christie

Brian

#8 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 17:19

I heard it was because he was a tour guide around the Oregon caves in the off-season, but that could be a folk etymology.

He was from Grants' Pass, Oregon - which has the Oregon Caves caverns nearby. I've also heard that he was a tour guide, but can't confirm. There was a local booster group known as "The Cavemen". Perhaps Bob Christie was part of that or inducted. Grants Pass has a caveman statue.

Art Pollard was from not too far up the road.

And, yes, Bob Christie did rather well in AAA Stock Cars. My last research trip, I turned up him winning a race at Carrell Speedway over several Indy drivers.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 04 June 2009 - 17:20.

#9 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 16:34

And, though Dan spotted it, I was going to mention the AP blowing it again...(referring to the Daytona race as a stock car race).

I sent a correction, but...

It is the Absolutely Pathetic.

#10 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:28

I don't remember much about him other than he was always around Indy and usually wearing his brown Champion 100 MPH Club jacket. I have his autograph in my book. RIP.