Photo

Goodwood - early '60s colour photos from Brit Pearce

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:14

Michaela Paddon, the granddaughter of one of the Tourist Trophy Garage mechanics, came across some colour slides/negs taken by him at Goodwood. The mechanic is Brit Pearce and these photos appear to date from the early '60s. Brit himself had started with Leslie Hawthorn in the '30s and left the garage in 1958 before Mike died, moving to Elstead to work with with Innes Ireland at Golden Acres. He carried on working on engines into his old age and died aged 80 in March 1993 - there is a stained glass window dedicated to him at St Marys Church in Selborne.

Anyway back to the photos... they are not all in good condition and some are badly damaged. I've done what I can with most of them and here they are, with Michaela's permission, for you all to enjoy. Some are quite intriguing and one does indeed show Innes Ireland.

There's a nice period pic of the Ecurie Ecosse Transporter with the famous EE Jaguar D-type MWS 301 (XKD 501) on the top carrying race No 1. The transporter itself came into service in May 1960. MWS 302 (XKD 502) appears in photo 10 carrying No 80.

Posted Image

We would like to know when they were taken if possible, the meetings and as much other info as anyone can offer. I believe there are two, possibly three, separate meetings shown here, one in the winter and the other the summer (tree foliage, spectator dress etc). My own Goodwood programmes won't match up with any of the race numbers etc but I'm sure someone out there has the info (Doug [I have The Glory of Goodwood somewhere but it is being elusive] or David?). I've also put a few enlargements in to help where possible. It's likely that Innes was at all these meetings I would imagine.

Winter Pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Summer Pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tonyb, 27 July 2009 - 17:59.

Advertisement

#2 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:27

Looks a lot like two meetings to me - one a big event - big crowds - the other a clubbie of some sort, possibly vintage, possibly a sprint.

Lovely pics!

Edited by Terry Walker, 12 July 2009 - 11:27.

#3 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:44

We would like to know when they were taken if possible, the meetings and as much other info as anyone can offer. I believe there are two, possibly three, separate meetings shown here, one in the winter and the other the summer (tree foliage, spectator dress etc). My own Goodwood programmes won't match up with any of the race numbers etc but I'm sure someone out there has the info (Doug [I have The Glory of Goodwood somewhere but it is being elusive] or David?). I've also put a few enlargements in to help where possible. It's likely that Innes was at all these meetings I would imagine.

Summer Pics

Posted Image

Is that, by any chance, a youthful "Buster" Young, standing to the left? And does the van with "New Zea(land...) Grand... on the side assist in dating the slide? 1961 perhaps?

#4 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:24

[quote name='wenoopy' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:44' post='3739738']

The top 2 sports car photos are Easter 1960 Sussex Trophy eg 80 is Maurice Charles (D type) 82 David Chamberlain (Cooper Jag), as I think is the one with the white Lotus and Aston.. The Lotus 18 is Ireland after winning the F1 race. THe bottom photo with the F2 car and Lotus 15 is also Easter 60.

All the remainder are Whitsun 60. The sports cars are the start of the Whitsun Trophy eg 7 is Chris Martyn (Lotus 15) and 11 is John Coundley (Lister). The pre war cars are
36 G Chapman R2A
38 C Donne Mas 6C
33 Patrick Lindsay R5B
43 Ellis Cuff Miller Talbot T26
41 K Schellenberg Barnato-Hassam
37 Joe Goodhew Delarge

The Saloon cars are the Cibie Cup Closed car race. eg 93 Paddy Gaston, 94 Andrew Hedges

RAP
Source - Robert Barker's "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" Expensive but invaluable for serious researchers !

Edited by RAP, 12 July 2009 - 12:27.

#5 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 13:57

Picture 2 , no doubt 1960 , the whole BRP/Yeoman Credit transporter team , Albion , Morris Oxford , Ford Thames , and after 1960 Yeoman was Parnell and dark green.

Picture 2 Howes Delage ? The transporter I have seen a couple of times now , no ads , but the name on the door ?

Superb pictures , thanks for showing , also the non transporters!

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 12 July 2009 - 13:57.

#6 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 14:51

Picture 2 , no doubt 1960 , the whole BRP/Yeoman Credit transporter team , Albion , Morris Oxford , Ford Thames , and after 1960 Yeoman was Parnell and dark green.

Picture 2 Howes Delage ? The transporter I have seen a couple of times now, no ads , but the name on the door ?

Superb pictures , thanks for showing , also the non transporters!

Bjørn, here's an as scanned actual size of the Delage photo - looks like 'J & J COC??????' and 'KINGSTON ?????':

Posted Image

Thanks for the very quick ID and info on the meetings to RAP - and I will get the book to add to the library if I can find a copy.

Edited by tonyb, 13 July 2009 - 07:55.

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 15:25

MT 100 was Mike Taylor's Lotus 15 - in the last photo the two NZIGP Team Coopers are Hulme's (28) and Lawton's (29), as stated at the Easter 1960 meeting. (And as the Lotus was No.86 then, the other photos of it must be at another meeting)

BTW - I don't think it's Eoin Young's posture :)

#8 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 15:47

Picture 2 Howes Delage ? The transporter I have seen a couple of times now , no ads , but the name on the door ?

There is another transporter hiding by the Ecurie Ecosse machine:

Posted Image

#9 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 15:56

OMG!

Those are wonderful photographs. Thank you for posting.

#10 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 16:19

Good stuff, Tony. Thanks for posting. The Delage is the ERA-Delage raced, in the early '60s as RAP says, by Joe Goodhew.

Edited by Alan Cox, 12 July 2009 - 16:20.

#11 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 16:19

Appreciated Tony !
post 6 : J&J.Cooke ? Think I now the name.....

#12 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:21

Tony
Robert Barker's book "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" is avaiable direct from the publishers Formula One Register
http://www.formulaon...ooks/Books.html
I think Chaters and Chris Knapman at Silverstone have it too.

Dont confuse it with Robert's other book "Motor Racing at Goodwood" which is more of a "bedside read" - nothing wrong with that but it doesnt give the race-by-race detail of "A Record .."

RAP

#13 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:34

Tony
Robert Barker's book "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" is avaiable direct from the publishers Formula One Register
http://www.formulaon...ooks/Books.html
I think Chaters and Chris Knapman at Silverstone have it too.

Dont confuse it with Robert's other book "Motor Racing at Goodwood" which is more of a "bedside read" - nothing wrong with that but it doesnt give the race-by-race detail of "A Record .."

RAP

Thanks Richard. I found yesterday that Chaters had the two volumes at £200 but they had recently sold them. I see the Formula One Register you mention has the updated second edition at the same price so I guess Chaters was also a second edition?

#14 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:54

The transporter behind the EE one may be John Ewer Motors Ltd. I am not sure if he was so active at that time, but IIRC was a motor trader in N London who also ran a fleet of coaches. ISTR American V8 saloons later.
Roger Lund

#15 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 15:53

Thanks Richard. I found yesterday that Chaters had the two volumes at £200 but they had recently sold them. I see the Formula One Register you mention has the updated second edition at the same price so I guess Chaters was also a second edition?

They certainly took the second edition - Robert will be delighted to know they have sold them !

F1R still have some in stock.

#16 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 16:31

F1R still have some in stock.

One set less shortly...

#17 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 21:04

The Saloon cars are the Cibie Cup Closed car race. eg 93 Paddy Gaston, 94 Andrew Hedges

RAP
Source - Robert Barker's "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" Expensive but invaluable for serious researchers !

I'm stuck in 2004 magazines at the moment but was it 58/59/60 that Bill Blydenstein won the Cibie Cup?
Apologies if wrong, but during the '50s did the Cibie Cup not hold more kudos than the BSCC?

#18 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:01

I'm stuck in 2004 magazines at the moment but was it 58/59/60 that Bill Blydenstein won the Cibie Cup?
Apologies if wrong, but during the '50s did the Cibie Cup not hold more kudos than the BSCC?

The Cibie cup was a series run by the BARC from 1960 to 1962 when it became the Spring Grove Trophy. Most rounds were at club/national meetings. What is today referred to as the BSCC was actually the BRSCC Saloon Car Championship and from 58 to 60 run at BRSCC national meetings, and people forget, was restricted to 1000cc cars in 1960. In 1961 it "upgraded" a bit so all the rounds were at major meetings and thereafter became much more widely recognised.

So, to answer your question, in 1960 it is debatable if either were particularly important - people were not championsgip-obsessed in those days - but thereafter the BRSCC was the more important.
RAP

Edited by RAP, 14 July 2009 - 08:02.

#19 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:10

The Lotus in picture 2 , looks to be a 16 , which then would have been the Mike Taylor car of Taylor & Crawley. The "Black Books" say no. 12 for Taylor and 15 for Stacey in a Lotus 18. Meaning the no. for Mike Taylor was changed . Aggree ?

Advertisement

#20 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:48

I think the Bentley in picture 6 is Jack Williamson's 4 1/2

#21 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 13:53

The Lotus in picture 2 , looks to be a 16 , which then would have been the Mike Taylor car of Taylor & Crawley. The "Black Books" say no. 12 for Taylor and 15 for Stacey in a Lotus 18. Meaning the no. for Mike Taylor was changed . Aggree ?

Yes. The Black Book is wrong as per prog & Robert Barker's book.
12 Stacey
14 Ireland
15 M Taylor

RAP

#22 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:08

Yes. The Black Book is wrong as per prog & Robert Barker's book.
12 Stacey
14 Ireland
15 M Taylor

RAP

The 1960 Goodwood meeting gave Innes and Team Lotus their first International F1 win along with the Silverstone International. Both times Innes was in the Lotus 18

#23 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:22

So , picture 21 , 2 & 9 shows bits of Taylor & Crawleys transporter !

Colours of T&C Lotus 16 ?

#24 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:11

The Cibie cup was a series run by the BARC from 1960 to 1962 when it became the Spring Grove Trophy. Most rounds were at club/national meetings. What is today referred to as the BSCC was actually the BRSCC Saloon Car Championship and from 58 to 60 run at BRSCC national meetings, and people forget, was restricted to 1000cc cars in 1960. In 1961 it "upgraded" a bit so all the rounds were at major meetings and thereafter became much more widely recognised.

So, to answer your question, in 1960 it is debatable if either were particularly important - people were not championsgip-obsessed in those days - but thereafter the BRSCC was the more important.
RAP

I'm intrigued by the shot of the saloon car race, there is the Borgward (presumably Bill Blydenstein) on pole, I believe a Riley 1.5 next to it and as you would expect at the time a number of A40's. There is also a Mini and an 105E Anglia both of which would have been close to the start of their "careers". Unusual; to see a DKW in the UK.

However what puzzles me is the white car just visible between the Mini and one of the A40s, Saab, Volvo?

#25 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:24

Twas Sid Hurrell's SAH Accessories SAAB. DKWs were very quick but very expensive in those days. Iain Scott-Watson ran one in which Jim Clark cut his teeth. The A40 and 105E had been introduced only the summer of the previous year. It is interesting to see only 9 or 10 cars on a saloon grid; perhaps it is not quite as we like to remember it....
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 15 July 2009 - 12:33.

#26 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 13:29

Twas Sid Hurrell's SAH Accessories SAAB. DKWs were very quick but very expensive in those days. Iain Scott-Watson ran one in which Jim Clark cut his teeth. The A40 and 105E had been introduced only the summer of the previous year. It is interesting to see only 9 or 10 cars on a saloon grid; perhaps it is not quite as we like to remember it....
Roger Lund

We have to assume it was only an up to 2-litre race, so no Jaguars, Zephyrs or Westminsters. Even so it does seem a remarkably slim grid. IIRC the 105E had only appeared at the '59 Motor Show although the A40 had been around for a year or so.

It has been mentioned earlier that competitors of the time were far less interested in championships than in more recent years. An interesting entry would turn up for odd races but not on a regular basis which is why I was intruiged to see a Deek and a SAAB.

#27 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 13:34

Sorry about the memory lapse with the A40 dates, especially as one of my heroes was George Shephard in UCE 13.
Roger Lund

#28 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 13:53

Sorry about the memory lapse with the A40 dates, especially as one of my heroes was George Shephard in UCE 13.
Roger Lund

"Doc" Shepherd, now there was remarkable man, largely forgotten today I'm afraid...

I'm actually assuming the A40 at the front of the grid in the photo was him?

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 14:39

Paddy Gaston or G Lawrence, I am afraid. George's car was Don Moore tuned, as GS was based over there, and for 1960 IIRC featured an experimental cross flow head from the BMC works dept. I recall the blanked off front grill. IIRC there was quite a good piece on him in The Autocar at the time, possibly at the end of that season. Bear in mind they ran to the old group 3 in those days.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 15 July 2009 - 14:41.

#30 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 15:35

Just checked out Frank de Jong's website, I see Nicky Byrne was around all season with an "Auto Union" which is presumably the DKW on the picture. Thinking about it wasn't Shepherd's A40 a light colour? Grey or white?

All a bit early for me, things seem to take the shape I remember in 1961.

#31 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:11

The small entry was partly due to a clash with Crystal Palace where there were 9 entries including Leston & Jopp (Volvos), Hutcheson, Pilsworth & Sargeant (Riley 1.5).

RAP

Edited by RAP, 16 July 2009 - 07:12.

#32 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:43

The Lotus in picture 2 , looks to be a 16 , which then would have been the Mike Taylor car of Taylor & Crawley.

DCN mentions this car as being "lemon and maroon" in Theme Lotus. We seem to be looking at the lemon part. I would love to see any other photos of this car if they exist in the same series, whatever the condition. I'm not sure that it actually raced that day, though.

Edited by David Beard, 16 July 2009 - 12:10.

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:59

No matter how many times I look at this thread, I can't see any pictures of Lotus 16s
I'm wondering if I haven't got them all?
I start with No 21, then go on to 'winter pics', the first of which is a sportscar LM start, and a close-up thereof, numbered 10, followed by 11, 12 etc

On the Taylor & Crawley colours - the team 15 parked next two the two black and silver F2 Coopers could be described as lemon and maroon...

#34 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:20

Thanks very much.

David , bottom right on picture 2 car no.15

#35 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 17:46

Thanks Bjørn - I'm not surprised I missed it :)

#36 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 17:50

No matter how many times I look at this thread, I can't see any pictures of Lotus 16s
I'm wondering if I haven't got them all?
I start with No 21, then go on to 'winter pics', the first of which is a sportscar LM start, and a close-up thereof, numbered 10, followed by 11, 12 etc

On the Taylor & Crawley colours - the team 15 parked next two the two black and silver F2 Coopers could be described as lemon and maroon...

David - the sequence is 21, then 10 - 19, then 1-9 with no gaps in the numbering.

#37 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 19:45

It's nice to see how this thread expanded in different directions as various people found
something of interest to them specifically. Thanks to everyone for the information
that has come out of these.

To move in a different direction away from cars and transporters etc, if you look at the
upper right hand side of the Le Mans start photo:

Posted Image

you'll see a building. An enlargement makes it easier to identify:

Posted Image

as the 'Members Pavilion'. I don't recollect having seen any other photos of this
or a mention in the recent Goodwood history books I have nor does it appear
to have ever been resurrected by the excellent set builders at the Revival. On the
right it says 'BUFFET' and at the left 'BAR' preceded by another word.

It looks to be located around the area of the white painted loos and behind or even under
where the the Startline Grandstand that is built for the Revival - a couple of modern
photos will help find its original location:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anyone know more about it or have any other pics - or did anyone maybe ever
actually use it in period and had it always been there?

Edited by tonyb, 20 July 2009 - 07:55.

#38 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:15

This really is "from memory" - so treat with care - but I used to go to sprint meetings at Goodwood in the 1970s (people often don't realise Goodwood was still used regularly after RACING stopped in 66) and I think this building was still there. I have a vague recollection of getting a cup of tea there
RAP

#39 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:22

In the picture of the drivers lining up before the Le mans style start. It looks a bit like the driver in the middle is wearing a (red) dress or a Kilt.

Advertisement

#40 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:59

I think you will find that the Aston Martin DBR1 on the right of the fifth photo down is driven by Jim Clark. It was the only time he raced the Aston Martin at Goodwood and the date was April 16 1960 which may help to identify the other cars.

Reference the Borgward don't forget that Tommy Bridger raced a Borgward Isabella around the same time.

#41 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:52

In the picture of the drivers lining up before the Le mans style start. It looks a bit like the driver in the middle is wearing a (red) dress or a Kilt.

Not sure... Is it not the red lettering of the sign behind that gives that impression?

#42 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:02

DCN mentions this car as being "lemon and maroon" in Theme Lotus. We seem to be looking at the lemon part. I would love to see any other photos of this car if they exist in the same series, whatever the condition. I'm not sure that it actually raced that day, though.

If might add something for Bjørn's benefit. The Lotus 16 in question (365) came into Mark Rigg's possession when he bought the T & C transporter. (the one in the photo?) It came as a non optional free extra. Its engine had gone to the the 18, though.

This story is also from Theme Lotus. A few years ago I managed to check it out with both Mike Taylor and Mark Rigg.

Edited by David Beard, 17 July 2009 - 12:03.

#43 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 13:47

Going back to the cars in the photos the ERA in picture 7 is Peter Waller in R9B and in picture 8 Sid Day in R6B.

I remember the Driver's Pavilion from sprint events in the 1970s too. I was completely oblivious to its recent disappearance.

#44 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:52

Is that, by any chance, a youthful "Buster" Young, standing to the left? perhaps?

BTW - I don't think it's Eoin Young's posture :)

Eoin doesn't think so either :wave:

#45 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 18:11

Many of the slides have a fault, either originally or something that happened over the years. The film had three light sensitive layers and it almost looks like the red layer of the film has shifted to the right! Don't think that's possible but that's why some look odd. FWIW, I can remember spending hours developing my own colour film at home as a schoolboy in Woking at about that time and deciding not to do it again!

#46 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 19:00

A belated thank you for these wonderful pics!

Neil

#47 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 18:15

Post one , scroll down to picture 2 .
On the far right is the NZIGP transporter/van. In front of the name is what to me looks like a Kiwi. I have searched and found many Kiwis , but none upright like this. Any out there ? Thanks in advance (looking for logos/namewritings).

#48 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 19:34

Just checked out Frank de Jong's website, I see Nicky Byrne was around all season with an "Auto Union"

Can anyone fill me in with background details or biog. information for Nicky Byrne, please?
Roger Lund

#49 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 22:11

Post one , scroll down to picture 2 .
On the far right is the NZIGP transporter/van. In front of the name is what to me looks like a Kiwi

Doesn't look like a kiwi to me, Bjorn - but I can't think what it would be. Possibly the other NZ motif, the silver fern?

#50 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:03

Yes David , tried to look it up , very difficult to see , thanks.