Photo

Which F1 driver is the greatest of all time?

• Please log in to reply
733 replies to this topic

Poll: Which F1 driver is the greatest of all time? (885 member(s) have cast votes)

Which F1 driver is the greatest of all time?

1. Michael Schumacher 7 x WDC (266 votes [30.06%])

Percentage of vote: 30.06%

2. Juan Manuel Fangio 5 x WDC (70 votes [7.91%])

Percentage of vote: 7.91%

3. Alain Prost 4 x WDC (55 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

4. Jack Brabham 3 x WDC (11 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

5. Niki Lauda 3 x WDC (6 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

6. Nelson Piquet 3 x WDC (6 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

7. Ayrton Senna 3 x WDC (234 votes [26.44%])

Percentage of vote: 26.44%

8. Alberto Ascari 2 x WDC (1 votes [0.11%])

Percentage of vote: 0.11%

9. Jim Clark 2 x WDC (116 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

10. Graham Hill 2 x WDC (3 votes [0.34%])

Percentage of vote: 0.34%

11. Emerson Fittipaldi 2 x WDC (2 votes [0.23%])

Percentage of vote: 0.23%

12. Mika Häkkinen 2 x WDC (21 votes [2.37%])

Percentage of vote: 2.37%

13. Fernando Alonso 2 x WDC (29 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

14. Gilles Villenueve (28 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

15. Other - Please Elaborate (37 votes [4.18%])

Percentage of vote: 4.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:57

Instead of that nasty disliked driver thread, I'd thought it would be more interesting to start a thread as to which F1 driver (and/or champion) is considered the 'greatest' in your opinion. All drivers with at least two titles have been listed, please elaborate on other choices.

For mine, It's got to Brabham with his efforts in designing and constructing his own car to win his third title. The likes of Schumacher etc are obviously very good drivers, but win in their own car they did not. :)

Advertisement

#2 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:21

I don't think that there is and that there will ever be a greatest F1 driver of all times.

You can't compare: different times, different cars and tracks, different stories, not all of them glorious - but they did their job.

(I think that "Gilles Villenueve" is not the correct spelling.)

#3 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:34

Fangio.

#4 Megane

Megane

• 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:01

Michael Knight X 4 seasons on TV :clap:

Posted Image

Edited by Megane, 16 July 2009 - 05:13.

#5 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:08

Alan Prost was a master grafter of wins, however although I saw races from the late 70's on my thoughts always turn to the dominant Michael Schumacher. Aside from the controversy that plagued his career and it was probably a bi-product of his singular determination to dominate all that he race that I vote for him. Senna wasn't as complete to me as exciting as he was to watch in the car.

#6 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:12

Senna. :up: :wave:

#7 Edgar0001

Edgar0001

• 22 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:30

I believe that even though Senna was an spectacular driver Prost was a better one. Prost had to compete against top level team mates his entire career and he always defeated them. He had better race craft than any other driver. So much that sometimes his drives did not look so spectacular. He was the master of managing a race to win it without over stressing his machinery. He knew how hard to drive to accomplish his goal. Senna always drove as hard as he could.
Schumacher was also an outstanding driver but in my opinion he did not have serious competition during most of his career.

So I give my vote to Prost.

#8 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:32

There is no best ... Nuvolari won a race operating the wheel, clutch, brakes and gears while his mechanic accelerated the car pulling on a makeshift throttle cable he had fashioned out of his belt. And almost fell out of the car on every bump. How do you compare that to Schumacher or Senna or Prost.

Edited by engel, 16 July 2009 - 05:32.

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:45

I think any driver who deliberately drives into someone else trying to race against him is automatically disqualified from "greatest" consideration. The greatest in any sport do not need to resort to cheating. That takes out the current leading two. Still, it's nice to see just how many people do not care for morals on this BB.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:01

Wow, what a great idea for a thread.

#11 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:20

To me , there is no "greatest" (perhaps we should try "tallest" next time lol), every era has his own greats, and this is how they should be judged. The cars have changed too much to consider 1 driver "the best". The drivers i've seen are Senna, Prost and Schumacher. But before them there were loads of great drivers we haven't even seen, and their achievements were equally great, if not greater then my "heroes".

gr.Jeroen

Edited by JdB, 16 July 2009 - 07:20.

#12 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:21

Oh no, not this tired old topic, again. :rolleyes:

Definitely not Senna anyway. He was way too egotistical, which is a major flaw in any drivers makeup. There is a big difference between stroking your ego and being highly competitive.

Edited by ex Rhodie racer, 16 July 2009 - 07:30.

#13 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:19

Let's see. Handsome, charismatic devils who died behind the wheel or crooked faced, uncharismatic people who we had to see get older? Hm, I have no idea how people will vote on that one.. :love:;)

I don't know myself really, but there's a guy who beat the legendary Schumacher in Ferrari twice to become the youngest ever champion, came from a small non-F1 country and did it all mostly by himself to impress me immensly.

A few more championships and I might well give Alonso the nod.

Edited by Velocifer, 16 July 2009 - 08:20.

#14 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,644 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:20

All drivers with at least two titles have been listed,

Stewart?

#15 Gypsy

Gypsy

• 585 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:10

Why isn't Yuji Ide on the list? :confused:

#16 Red 5

Red 5

• 610 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:20

Clearly if Ralf was on the list i'd have voted for him.... :lol: Senna gets my vote, sure he had flaws in his character but i can accept that because of his sheer determination to win and the skill he possessed. He had at least 2 more championships in him and the record books would look so much different if he hadn't died so tragically.

#17 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:04

Other: Jos Verstappen

why? why not?

#18 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:36

To me , there is no "greatest" (perhaps we should try "tallest" next time lol), every era has his own greats, and this is how they should be judged. The cars have changed too much to consider 1 driver "the best". The drivers i've seen are Senna, Prost and Schumacher. But before them there were loads of great drivers we haven't even seen, and their achievements were equally great, if not greater then my "heroes".

gr.Jeroen

To be fair, the greatest ever thread is always going to happen, because every year new f1 fans are turned to the sport, and they know very little sometimes about the details of Senna, Schumacher and Prost, they will look at some stats, but they'll won't know what made Schumacher special and Senna etc

Us vetrans have sat through books worth of posts, and even though I'lve felt I'VE written the same stuff over and over again, you always have new fans learning the game, and I remember many many years ago, where I was discovering f1 and the history, it takes a while, it's strange to think new fans for me, haven't seen perhaps Schumacher and Hakkinen battles, or Senna/Prost and Mansell, but it does suck we humans have to age, can't believe Senna died like 15 years ago, still feels fresh in my memories as dark as the day was, somethings for some fans will always remain fresh, no matter how many years go by.

Let's see. Handsome, charismatic devils who died behind the wheel or crooked faced, uncharismatic people who we had to see get older? Hm, I have no idea how people will vote on that one.. :love:;)

I don't know myself really, but there's a guy who beat the legendary Schumacher in Ferrari twice to become the youngest ever champion, came from a small non-F1 country and did it all mostly by himself to impress me immensly.

A few more championships and I might well give Alonso the nod.

I'm not sure what Alonso could of done to beat Schumacher in 2004, and what Schumacher could of done to beat Alonso in 2005, it was out of both driver's hands, the car had too much influence, add the tyres as well, it's not a way to compare the two. Problem is/car/driver package flows up and down on some tracks, it's easy to count up the points at the end of the season, and say this guy was better, but that doesn't explain why people thought Schumacher was the best in 1996/97/98/99, even if he didn't get his hands on the title, because his name was being put forward as much as ferrari, as they know Schumacher was clearly a man on fire with a mission in life to win a title with ferrari, was he same guy after 2000? The same fire, maybe not, but also f1 was not the same as well, Schumacher adapted through the f1 rules and was a main contender, he was consiistent for 16 years, it's not just the titles, you have to add up the 2nd places and runner up positions in relation to everything else. Apart from all that, he wasn't just a driver, perhaps moved the game forward into a territory others have not quited reached, that is acting like a team captain and someone who could manage a team without maybe having the title, he was clever that way, it all addes up.

Schumacher was kinda like the Roger Federer of f1, prepared, professional and didn't sweat coming out from a car from Monaco after long hot race, in terms of overall race pace start from finish, and maximisation to pitstop entry, inlaps and outlaps, the amount of races michael won having to do super quick lap times when he needed too, those are the mark of a champion as much as Federer always having a ace when he needs it, you get the impression Michael had that little bit extra on many occassions, reference Imola 2006, where many expected Alonso to win, but Michael produced some of the best inlaps he's reknowned for, despite on shot tyres, the car wasn't going to win with any other driver, even Pat Symonds said "Michael's inlaps were amazing": The word amazing is what many have said regarding some of Michael's best races.

I think best drivers leave a impression that is more then their stats, everything must be viewed with a pinch of salt and look at whole careers

Edited by SeanValen, 16 July 2009 - 12:44.

#19 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:42

Most analysts and fans consider Senna and Fangio as the greatest of all time. /thread

Advertisement

#20 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:50

^ :down: Anyone can make a statement, as you just did, and claim it's true, but that certainly doesn't make it true.

:cool:

#21 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:53

MS had the best car for most of his career. Button would have done the same in that ferrari as backed up by Brawn's early domination this year.

He also never faced a strong teammate.

And lastly he was the greatest cheat ever in formula one.

He was very fast though and one of the most competitive drivers out there .

My vote goes to Senna. What a driver he was.

#22 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:57

Most analysts and fans consider Senna and Fangio as the greatest of all time. /thread

The sad thing is, alot of new fans won't ever have seen Senna turn a wheel live, or Fangio, and shockingly, even Schumacher, as the years pass by, who knows if we''ll be lucky to watch drivers with that feeling of greatness and masters of the game. There's nothing like having watched most of the laps they turned live with the suspense of the results and outcomes not done yet.

Watching Senna and Schumacher, a combined total of 26 years of f1 seasons, I am one lucky fan. My only regret and I'll never totally get over it, was Imola 1994, to have Senna and Schumacher competing with each other, it was gonna be monumental battles, but f1 had been lucky for a while, safety caught up with us, and took away the fight I would of enjoyed the most out of any sporting contest ever! f1 had everything, life, death, passion, it was a gladitorial rome collsium, now what you got, fuel qualifying and butchered tracks, still good, still watchable, but compared to 20th century f1, it's another world. the tragic nature of f1, everything changes, but always for the better.

#23 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:58

Define "greatest"...

I guess I'll have to say Michael Schumacher, even though I liked Senna the best. What Schumacher the driver did for Ferrari the team will probably never be repeated.

#24 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:07

The greatest driver, F1 or not, died in the tall pines of Hockenheim on April the 7th, 1968.

M. Schumacher is just the best athlete who's contract happened to include driving around in circles for a few weekends of the year.

#25 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:08

MS had the best car for most of his career. Button would have done the same in that ferrari as backed up by Brawn's early domination this year.

f1 racing award gave Mclaren car of the year in 2000, hooked up with the kerbs better, didn't eat the tyres as much as the ferrari, infact the ferrari only really got on terms with the mclaren at Monza 2000, then Michael run away with it, but still had to push. The ferrari was eating its tyres more most of the season before that.

Michael got the best car in 2002 and 2004 for most of those season's races.

2003, Michael didn't win as many races, tyre wars, Michael's car at france was on the wrong tyres to win the race, michelin were the tyres to have, yet Michael still got on the podium, his 3rd place there was amongst one of his best performances, thanks to his set up skills and maximisation of sector 1, MICHAEL HAS WON FRANCE 8 TIMES, he's the best there, even when the renaults, mclarens and williams were on the tyres to have that weekend, don't give that MS has the best car for most of his career nonsense lol When you think he needed a point at Japan at the end of the season, races like France 2003 show why his ability to get results in tough races sometimes elevated his campaigns to that extra mark to win. The Williams, Renaults and Mclarens in 2003 were strong at certain races, it was one of those seasons where Michael was hunting while being the hunted at other races.
2001, a Williams track, williams expected to win, Michaell\s overall consistency throughout the race, text book.
2001 Canada, williams expected to win, Michael's inlaps were like Imola 2006 to outflank Alonso, were amazing again, the guy had speed in inlaps and outlaps, this is the area Schumacher mastered and had extra, he could find time if he was in a actual tough contest, he did it enough times in important races, and rarely overdrived, his consistency in this area defined alot of his best stuff. Technically, he was on 2 levels, like he could drive very fast, but he had the too fast option, where he digged deep for extra time to shave off some centimetres off the racing line to find that those extra tenths, like Federer having a fast 2nd serve in Tennis, Schumacher had some reserves he could call for, it was apart of his plan for some weekends, alot of drivers look very good, very fast, but what made the difference is getting the inlaps done when needed.

It's the races Michael won, and the performances Michael did when many expected him not to achieve, are the tests of a great, as much as delivering in the best car such as 2002. This carves out the legend, if anyone brought that f1 racing mag, 10 or 20 drives drives of a racing genius, it pretty much covered his best stuff.

Edited by SeanValen, 16 July 2009 - 13:21.

#26 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:20

Ahhh and there it is!!! The monthly 'who's the greatest of all time thread'.... Was beginning to miss it!
:well:

#27 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:27

Is 2000 MS was the best driver I think . 2001 through 2004 MS had the best overall car no question. Yeah in some races williams/mclaren/renault were better but the thing is these cars were not consistently good and reliable enough to challenge MS to the WDC.
2005 average car, average results. You can't really credit his US win to his name nor those points for that matter.
2006 equal car, is some races better car that Renault and he lost to Alonso.
Its obvious that most of his titles/wins were a result of his great car and a number 2 driver as teammate.
Oh and Senna WON MONACO SIX TIMES and he had a shorter career than MS.. SIX TIMES AT MONACO which is the most technical circuit for a driver not France..

Edited by BMW_F1, 16 July 2009 - 13:54.

#28 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:38

Senna is regarded as one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula One.
Many still consider him [FANGIO] to be the greatest driver of all time.
According to the official Formula One website, he is "statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen" (SCHUMACHER)

These quotes are from Wikipedia. Interesting how Fangio and Senna got "best of all time" mentions but not Schumacher.

#29 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:44

7wdc , enough said

#30 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:14

Senna is regarded as one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula One.
Many still consider him [FANGIO] to be the greatest driver of all time.
According to the official Formula One website, he is "statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen" (SCHUMACHER)

These quotes are from Wikipedia. Interesting how Fangio and Senna got "best of all time" mentions but not Schumacher.

Some would say it has something to do that MS is still alive while the other two...

#31 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:22

My vote goes to Senna. What a driver he was.

me too. Plus Senna almost always had inferior equipment compared to his rivals.

Posted Image

Edited by Kooper, 16 July 2009 - 14:22.

#32 King_Alonso786

King_Alonso786

• 62 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:30

Alonso :) He will be remembered as the driver who brought M Schumacher's reign to an end and in many respects revived F1.

#33 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:30

Oh, in that case it is unquestionably true. Only an idiot would question the internet bible, wikipoopoo. :rolleyes:

Jimisgod, you could well have a point regarding Clarkie, but the tree´s in Hockenheim are definitely not pines.;)

Edited by ex Rhodie racer, 16 July 2009 - 14:31.

#34 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:32

Jose Froilan Gonzalez was the biggest i'd think. all other comparisions are kinda meaningless...

#35 SpamJet

SpamJet

• 801 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:34

Hakkinen beat schumacher twice, and schumacher is the 2nd best greatest driver ever, so MH must be the greatest of all time. Simple.

#36 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:50

Did you mean which F1 driver is the greatest within F1 or a F1 driver who is the greatest of all time?

Mario Andretti is obviously "the F1 driver who is the greatest of all time" but not in F1 alone of course.

Since MS will win the vote anyway as he is the greatest F1 driver of all time simply because he has won more than a staggering 10% of all GP's ever run in the whole history of GP's I would like to add a special mention to one driver....

Since he won't get many votes, Nelson Piquet will not finish as high as he should yet the Guy won 3 WDC's in completely and vastly different era's - Ground Effects, Turbo and Electronics against simply the best other drivers that F1 could serve up - I don't think theres another F1 driver that has this broad achievment to boast.

#37 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:56

Poor Prost. He gets no credit for what he has achieved.

#38 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:59

its his nose

#39 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 15:40

IMO Jacques Villeneuve was far better than Gilles.

Advertisement

#40 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 15:46

Oh, in that case it is unquestionably true. Only an idiot would question the internet bible, wikipoopoo. :rolleyes:

Agree. While Wikipedia is nice, just don't trust it completely...

#41 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,974 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 15:57

Michael Schumacher 7 x WDC
Alain Prost 4 x WDC

7wdc , enough said

Perception is a bitch, isn't it?

I've voted for Senna, but I have a (really) difficult time to understand why someone would prefer Schummy instead of Prost. Not to mention Fangio.

Because if someone would only consider WDC's, Prost would be the natural choice, based on the list of drivers that he had competed against, in a much more aggressive and demanding enviroment.
The frenchman outclassed those following team-mates: Arnoux, Cheever, Lauda, K. Rosberg, Johansson, Senna, Mansell, Alesi and Hill.

If consistency is the criteria, again Prost is the one to go.

Aggressive drive style? There was once a certain Ayrton Senna, even more dangerous than MS.

Set up abilities? Piquet Snr (for the brazilians, arguably the best brazilian driver) and many others.

Anyway, it's a personal thing.

• • •

Another driver who doesn't get enought credit is Emerson Fittipaldi. 2xWDC and 2xrunner-up in 6 seasons, being the youngest WDC until Fernando Alonso.

Then in hist 7th season, the first Brazilian to become a WDC, choses to join his older brother at the Brazilian based Fittipaldi Automotive where his best result was a third place in 1980.

Edited by highdownforce, 16 July 2009 - 19:21.

#42 Schuperman

Schuperman

• 1,745 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:08

7wdc , enough said

Very true.

Sampras before Federer, Federer (hoping Nadal will beat it soon), Jack Nicklaus (Woods is coming), Michael Schumacher and a few selected sportsmen are well acknowledge as the greatest in their field because they had been utterly dominant.

Unlike in F1, I don't find any unreasonable claims amongst Tennis fans that Boris Becker, a 3-times Wimbledon Champion, is greater than Pete Sampras, a 7-times Wimbledon Champion, for example.

#43 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:14

If the number of WDCs is the only thing people would go by then Damon Hill and Kimi Raikkonen are at the same level..

#44 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:19

If the number of WDCs is the only thing people would go by then Damon Hill and Kimi Raikkonen are at the same level..

Well... :p
Both will be remembered as a small chapter in the history of F1, not more.

#45 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:26

Well... :p
Both will be remembered as a small chapter in the history of F1, not more.

true but that does not mean that one cannot form an opinion on who was better between these two simply because they each had one WDC.
statistical bookworms are those who look at the number of X to determine who is better.. There are more valid cases of why MS was to some the greatest driver then the 7 WDCs.

#46 sir jackie walker

sir jackie walker

• 622 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:28

Fangio, Clark, Senna and Schumacher were all considered (by strong majority) to be the best of their respective eras, but it's very difficult to compare completely different types of racing, as Fangio's cars bear very little resemblance to those of Michael's. However, number of WDC titles certainly isn't the way to compare the best (unless you're willing to state that Sir Stirling Moss was worse than Keke Rosberg or Jacques is greater than Gilles etc)... It's just about preference above the aforementioned names, and I pick Jim Clark. Who knows how many more titles he could have won, and unlike Senna and Schumacher, he was a gentleman.

#47 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:33

Most gifted - Gilles Villeneuve

Best - Stirling Moss

As for the 7xWDC stuff Crazy Frog has had more #1's than Led Zeppelin does that make Crazy Frog a better recording artist ?

#48 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,974 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:35

Also Jim Clarck and Fernando Alonso. :rolleyes:

#49 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:36

What a weird poll - Why is the certified halfwit not included ? why no Stirling Moss too

Edited by MegaManson, 16 July 2009 - 16:37.

#50 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 16:38

why not Juan Pablo Montoya.. ?