Photo

Felipe Massa's accident (and latest health report) (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1634 replies to this topic

#1451 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:55

Oops. :eek: :lol:

Whoever the news editor is, I'd say they'd just suffered the journalistic equivalent of being hit by a spring that fell off a car ... :p

Does that mean that they'll hire Bira back and let her run the show the way it should be? :cool:

First Schumi, then the Great Ms. Goren! :stoned:

Edited by Zmeej, 03 August 2009 - 05:00.

Advertisement

#1452 Leons

Leons

• 78 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:39

The MTI's knowledge, this morning has left the AEK of the Hungarian Grand Prix timepiece training Felipe Massa suffered a major accident.

http://f1center.hu/i...hp?m=news&az=78

#1453 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:21

Massa has left the hospital. He's already flying home in a private plane.

#1454 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:12

http://images.gazzet...?v=200908030942 :|

From Gazzetta

#1455 pRy

pRy

• 26,346 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:17

On the BBC site they have an article where he says he won't rush back and needs to be 100%, so I guess now the "I want to drive" is turning into a more realistic "I need to recover" scenario. I suppose the question will be has Luca signed him off for the rest of the year to allow for a 100% full recovery, or will they take it race by race.

#1456 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:18

http://images.gazzet...?v=200908030942 :|

From Gazzetta

Damn I thought that he would walk out of this hospital? :well: Wasn´t he supposed to make an interview?

#1457 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:27

When he woke up and understood what had happened, I think it's natural that his reaction was something like "I wanna go back as soon as I can get out of this bed", he probably didn't fully understand how serious his injury was and maybe he had no pain so he thought everything was OK. Now, as his mind is clearer, he knows that first he must think about getting well first. I think the clearer his mind is, the more he will recognise that he is injured, the more he will feel the difference.

Also, the first week of his recovery went really well, really fast - on Sunday, he was in deep induced sleep with a machine doing the breathing for him, a few days later he was walking and talking. However, from now on the recovery will be slower and less "spectacular" and right now nobody knows when he will be 100% again.

#1458 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:52

Damn I thought that he would walk out of this hospital? :well: Wasn´t he supposed to make an interview?

Let's not get carried away.. the very fact he's doing an interview is quite encouraging! ..maybe he has some balance issues and he's still relatively heavily medicated, which would explain the hospital bed..

So far his recovery is spectacular. let's see what the future brings..

#1459 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:45

Looks like he did walk... http://images.gazzet...?v=200908031106

Advertisement

#1460 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:14

Exclusive Massa Interview
by Ferrari S.p.A, All rights reserved

Maranello, August 3 2009 - Felipe Massa has left Budapest this morning at a time of São Paulo in Brazil, which will arrive in the evening. Together with the Brazilian pilot moving his wife Raffaela and its medical staff Dino Altmann and the rest of the family had preceded him yesterday afternoon.

Before being discharged from AEK where he had been hospitalized after the accident occorsogli in the qualifications of the Grand Prix of Hungary, Felipe has granted an exclusive interview at the site of Ferrari.

How do you feel? What do you remember the accident?

'It is a feeling a little' strange. I know exactly what happened, that come off a spring from the car of Rubens struck me on the helmet. I know that something has happened to me but I did not hear anything when it happened. They told me that I have lost knowledge at the time of the spring on the helmet and finished against the barriers then I woke up two days later in hospital. I have memories and I am explaining all that has been done by doctors. When I saw Rob (Smedley, his engineer engineer, ndr), asked me if I remembered to Rubens but the last thing I was reminded of it when I found him at the end of the timed lap in Q2 but then there is no more. I repeat, is a difficult feeling to explain. Now I feel much better and I want to heal in the shortest possible time to get back on track as soon as the wheel of a Ferrari. "

Want to thank someone?

"Firstly, I want to thank God And the doctors on the track and the hospital in Budapest that AEK have done so much for me and Dino Altmann, who came from Brazil with my family and it was extraordinary in those days. My thanks also to everyone who prayed for me, which I have written through my site and that of Ferrari and had hoped that everything goes according to plan. There have been many, even people who perhaps are not interested in Formula 1 but I knew what had happened: I want to thank them and tell them that I pray for them. I too would have done the same thing if an accident had happened to another pilot would have prayed for him, because everything would end well. "

As it was very helpful to have family by your side in these days?

"My family is very important to me. I have always been with me throughout my career, the victories and defeats and in the most difficult moments. In Budapest there was only Eduardo but when the incident happened, everyone - Raffaela, my father, my mother and my sister - have flown to Hungary. Who have suffered so much and I want to thank them for having been close. And then there is another family that I have to thank the Ferrari family have been fantastic, we have helped in every way and be part of this group gives me so much emotion. "

What will be your desire when you first arrived in Brazil?

"Back in my home, see if everything is as before. There are so many things happened in these days and I want to return to a normal life. Recover the best condition, do the things you do every day. "

Now your machine will be for a while 'to Michael Schumacher: What advice do you feel for him?

"Michael does not need my advice! Rather he gave me many suggestions for my career when running together. Sa win, sa great drive and is: was the best choice, giving the car a fantastic person and I am sure that everybody will be happy to see him return to racing. But I hope so to be able to return to the track with Ferrari as soon as possible! "

#1461 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:21

Massa being interviewed on Sky News right now.

Looks pretty beaten up around the eye.

He's in Ferrari gear, bible with beads on the ledge behnid him.

I guess it'll be on the Sky News website soon.

Posted Image

Edited by potmotr, 03 August 2009 - 10:32.

#1462 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:36

Is his eyes looking in the same way?

#1463 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:39

Richard Hammond is a good analogy to this accident imho. Up and about, seemingly in 'good' health quite quickly. However the recovery process will take some time. Hammond mentioned it on Top Gear last night - up there at the front of the brain is where, essentially, you 'live'. It'll take him a long time to be properly better. Unlike, say, a broken leg where you can get back in the car before it's 100% better (Schumacher, Webber) - a head injury is far more delicate and frankly, I can fully expect doctors to advise months away from the cockpit to ensure a proper recovery.

#1464 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:39

Is his eyes looking in the same way?

In the interview on Sky is appeared to be a bit lazy, not looking in the same direction.

#1465 fanboy

fanboy

• 999 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:48

His eye alone wont allow him to come back for quite some time I think.

#1466 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:48

Some pics of him
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1467 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:54

Ouch at those pictures. Hope Massa's eye makes a 100% recovery. :up:

#1468 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:05

He looks a little like Ricky Hatton the day after the big fight, but that'll pass after a while.

The best thing is that he appears to have his marbles.

The physical injuries will heal hopefully.

I just hope Felipe doesn't rush his comeback.

#1469 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:15

I love the little Massa but the dude's crazy, "I want to thank God.." Erm, so you want to thank God for making sure you were okay. But surely, if he has the power to make sure you were okay he had the power to stop it from happening in the first place. It would be like me shooting someone and then taking them to hospital really quickly to make sure their life was saved. All is forgiven, I'd like to thank you for saving me :)

But anyway, apart from the fact his head was obviously banged a little bit too hard I'm really glad he's well enough for interviews and looking good, it's excellent news.

#1470 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:25

Video of Massa's interview:

http://www.mtv3.fi/u.../2009/08/925926

#1471 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:26

http://news.sky.com/...d_Prix_Accident

Exclusive Massa interview (for video, click on left sidebar)

#1472 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:32

I'm just glad that 9 days after the accident he's out of bed, he can give interviews and talk normally in English. His wounds will heal.

#1473 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:36

He looks a little like Ricky Hatton the day after the big fight, but that'll pass after a while.

The best thing is that he appears to have his marbles.

The physical injuries will heal hopefully.

I just hope Felipe doesn't rush his comeback.

I agree. I also hope his confidence in the car has not been affected. I think it's important he remembers that this was not his fault, but simply bad luck.

#1474 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:37

Just watched it. I don't think he's 100% ok yet, he hasn't said 'for sure' once?

#1475 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:39

I love the little Massa but the dude's crazy, "I want to thank God.." Erm, so you want to thank God for making sure you were okay. But surely, if he has the power to make sure you were okay he had the power to stop it from happening in the first place. It would be like me shooting someone and then taking them to hospital really quickly to make sure their life was saved. All is forgiven, I'd like to thank you for saving me :)

But anyway, apart from the fact his head was obviously banged a little bit too hard I'm really glad he's well enough for interviews and looking good, it's excellent news.

I would say exactly the same as Massa, as someone who is similar to Felipe in this way I would say you have the whole thing wrong. Good and bad things happen to people, its not about blaming God for the bad things and saying "why me, why didn't you stop it from happening to me?" but thanking God for the good things in one's life, being alive is something to be thankful for.
What happened Felipe was due to human error when it came to the putting together of Barrichello's car.
These things happen, its just a case of being thankful to one's God if they are a believer that they didn't want them in the next world right now.
Its all perfectly natural.

#1476 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:41

That intreview is about what I expected. Lucid, but confused.

#1477 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:42

I don't think it is exclusive, the same interview is running all over Europe.

Was no doubt a shoot organised by Ferrari then knocked out to all the main broadcasters and agencies.

Best solution, so Felipe only has to do one interview rather than 300.

BBC must be a bit embarrassed being scooped by Sky News though.

#1478 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:51

That intreview is about what I expected. Lucid, but confused.

To be honest, to me the interviewer sounds more confused :lol:

#1479 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:52

I would say exactly the same as Massa, as someone who is similar to Felipe in this way I would say you have the whole thing wrong. Good and bad things happen to people, its not about blaming God for the bad things and saying "why me, why didn't you stop it from happening to me?" but thanking God for the good things in one's life, being alive is something to be thankful for.
What happened Felipe was due to human error when it came to the putting together of Barrichello's car.
These things happen, its just a case of being thankful to one's God if they are a believer that they didn't want them in the next world right now.
Its all perfectly natural.

Well we could discuss this all day but it's probably not the place for it :) Ultimately I'd say it's a bit of a cop out really, give credit to God for good things but blame someone else when things go wrong. But there we go, I won't turn this into an elongated discussion about religion :) You're welcome to come back on my last comment but I won't respond as I'm kind and will let you have to last word :) Cheers.

Advertisement

#1480 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:53

It's a lovely interview, Felipe is a sweet little guy. I'm wishing him a very speedy recovery. :)

#1481 rwamnep

rwamnep

• 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:05

Yea its the same interview around europe with ferraris press officer luca colajanni

#1482 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:40

Maybe its just me but I felt a little uncomfortable watching that.

#1483 d246

d246

• 1,050 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:08

Richard Hammond is a good analogy to this accident imho. Up and about, seemingly in 'good' health quite quickly. However the recovery process will take some time. Hammond mentioned it on Top Gear last night - up there at the front of the brain is where, essentially, you 'live'. It'll take him a long time to be properly better. Unlike, say, a broken leg where you can get back in the car before it's 100% better (Schumacher, Webber) - a head injury is far more delicate and frankly, I can fully expect doctors to advise months away from the cockpit to ensure a proper recovery.

Wasn't he a guest on J Ross's show once he was 'better', only to appear 6 months later revealing he couldn't remember his previous appearance?

#1484 sanat

sanat

• 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:10

I think that Felipe is far from recovery - only one "for sure" in that 6-minute interview  ;)

#1485 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:14

Two things came to my mind watching the interview.

-That eye does not look good. I know its healing but it isnt looking in the same direction as the other one. That cant be good. I thought even recovering eyes should at least point in the same direction :well:

-I also noticed how poor his english was. Never thought of it much before. But he almost certainly is the driver with the worst english skills in todays lineup. And in this interview they seemed even worse.

#1486 pRy

pRy

• 26,346 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:17

Wasn't he a guest on J Ross's show once he was 'better', only to appear 6 months later revealing he couldn't remember his previous appearance?

Yes he suffered from short term memory loss too and other issues such as depression. However I suspect his injury was worse than Massas, as Hammond spent 5 weeks in hospital.

http://www.dailymail...sh--Im-not.html

#1487 Rafo

Rafo

• 96 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:31

Two things came to my mind watching the interview.

-That eye does not look good. I know its healing but it isnt looking in the same direction as the other one. That cant be good. I thought even recovering eyes should at least point in the same direction :well:

-I also noticed how poor his english was. Never thought of it much before. But he almost certainly is the driver with the worst english skills in todays lineup. And in this interview they seemed even worse.

...worst than Kubica? :drunk:

#1488 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:38

...worst than Kubica? :drunk:

Actually yes. Kubica has a much larger vocabulary. Doesnt have to search for words to use.

#1489 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 13:59

I don't think so. I think Fisichella's or Alonso's english is worse.

#1490 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 14:11

i just watched a recent interview with massa to see if he spoke in the same way (tone, rythm)
http://vodpod.com/wa...massa-interview

seems to me like he speaks normal... (but I hope he sits out a few races, enjoys the pregnancy of his wife and be with his family)

#1491 JensonF1

JensonF1

• 586 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 14:44

Why have the printed interviews misrepresented the order in which Massa thanked the doctors and god?

In the printed interview on the BBC & Autosport, it quotes Massa as saying 'first of all I want to thank God'.

But in the video of the interview, he says 'first of all I want to thank the doctors', which in my view is a bit more proper.

Hmmm... very strange.

#1492 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:03

Why have the printed interviews misrepresented the order in which Massa thanked the doctors and god?

In the printed interview on the BBC & Autosport, it quotes Massa as saying 'first of all I want to thank God'.

But in the video of the interview, he says 'first of all I want to thank the doctors', which in my view is a bit more proper.

Hmmm... very strange.

Perhaps he did two, one interview for print, another recorded for tv?

#1493 PaulD.

PaulD.

• 168 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:03

Hmmm... very strange.

Yes noticed that too.. I guess that sounded better for them :down: :down:

#1494 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 16:36

Maybe its just me but I felt a little uncomfortable watching that.

Agree. I don't understand why they was so in a hurry to did this interview - it's hurt to see Felipe in this condition. Publish version will be good but not video.

Edited by Odvan, 03 August 2009 - 17:14.

#1495 F1 Fan 6785

F1 Fan 6785

• 48 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 16:55

I thought Massa looked and sounded very good in the interview there is still a lot of swelling around the eye but it will go away It was good to see he is OK and I look forward to his return to F1

#1496 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 19:33

He looked to be alright, but the eye looked a bit sore, a bit like hockey players being hit badly during a game, but I don' think taht's too bad. It's probably his least worry at the moment.

#1497 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 21:16

He looked to be alright, but the eye looked a bit sore, a bit like hockey players being hit badly during a game, but I don' think taht's too bad. It's probably his least worry at the moment.

So no one here is reacting to the fact that it clearly wasnt aligned with his other eye? I have seen eye injuries before, but they were still lined up with the other one.
Im no eye doctor, but it looks worrying to me. I mean swelling alone doesnt push an eye out of alignment.

#1498 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 21:24

It really seems like that. But the fact that hes forehead is big as an orange could be leadin us to have the wrong impressio. Been there. There are other shots where it doesn't look like that.

And he would know that by now if he got cross eyed.

#1499 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 22:03

Im sure the doctors are more knowing then us and if they say everything will get back to 100% it will. The eye most likely looks strange because of the big swelling of his head. That seems pretty normal seeing what he has been through and it won't go away just in a couple of days.

Advertisement

#1500 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 22:07

What did look wierd is that at one point one eye was pointing one way and the other a different way. Anybody else notice that?

Disclaimer I haven't read all of the thread.