Photo

Dick Protheroe transporter 1965-66

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geoffp13

geoffp13

• 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:52

While updating my fathers website I came across 2 photographs of what looks like a camper van with the Ferrari 330 on the trailer. Registration is ENR 350C. The year would be 1965 or early 66. Can anyone shed any light on the vehicle please.
GeoffP

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:21

It is an Austin or Morris J4, they were forward control and the vans more commonly had sliding doors. There was a slight difference with the grill between the two makes. From the doors back the body was similar to the later Sherpa. I have no idea who carried out the caravan conversion.

#3 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,873 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:42

Geoff, Looks like a BMC product. Austin J4 based Dormobile by Martin Walter Ltd, I think.

Stephen

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:49

Geoff, unless father put a larger engine in the J4, as it usually ran with a low compression B series, it would have been hard work fully loaded on its own, let alone with the Ferrari behind it, although devices like the PB Commer and Standard Atlas were even worse. I have another advert , edit. now posted below, here from Autosport, the date of which I failed to note, showing a Morris FG flatbed with the Lightweight E on the back. They were all for sale as a lot or separately. I will reduce the file size and post under the other DP thread, presuming that it is a family copyright picture.
Roger Lund

Posted Image

PS Geoff, email/PM me with contact e-address and I will forward a larger file-size version for your archives.
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 26 July 2009 - 12:41.

#5 geoffp13

geoffp13

• 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 13:25

Geoff, unless father put a larger engine in the J4, as it usually ran with a low compression B series, it would have been hard work fully loaded on its own, let alone with the Ferrari behind it, although devices like the PB Commer and Standard Atlas were even worse. .....
RL

Thanks for that Roger
If my memory serves me well I believe there was talk about the engine (more power) and gearbox (lower ratio) being modified. Photos of the trailer seem to reveal it would be a weighty item too.
The Morris transporter and the Bedford van are on the website however your advertisement would be great to add. email is geoffp@myitshere.co.uk
Thanks to all above for contributions.

Regards
Geoffp