Photo

The Schumacher vs Raikkonen Thread

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

Poll: . (420 member(s) have cast votes)

If Schumacher replaces Massa, what shall happen?

1. Raikkonen destroys Schumacher with ease (75 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Raikkonen beats Schumacher, but it's close (125 votes [29.76%])

Percentage of vote: 29.76%

3. Nothing to choose between them really (54 votes [12.86%])

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

4. Schumacher humiliates Raikkonen by blowing him away (70 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Schumacher beats Raikkonen, but it's close (96 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jason Burton

Jason Burton

• 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 16:43

I think we'd all want to see this battle occur.
Raikkonen retired Schumacher (and Montoya) from Formula 1 back in 2006, but could Michael come back and get his revenge, especially since Kimi's never been quite as good at Ferrari as he was with McLaren?

Advertisement

#2 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 16:48

Would have been more interesting if Kovalainen got konked on the head and Schumacher got to race for McLaren.

#3 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 16:48

Raikkonen can only lose this really. Being beaten by a three year retired Schumacher would do him no good at all.

#4 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 18:25

Great thread. Reminds of the very useful Alonso vs Massa thread.

#5 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 18:53

Schumacher humiliates Raikonnen by been close

#6 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 19:00

I think we'd all want to see this battle occur.
Raikkonen retired Schumacher (and Montoya) from Formula 1 back in 2006, but could Michael come back and get his revenge, especially since Kimi's never been quite as good at Ferrari as he was with McLaren?

As much as i'm Kimi fan don't think he retired Schumacher. And even if schumi was a bit afraid of kimi don't think he his anymore. I don't think it will happen though. Voted Kimi, but close.

#7 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 16:40

Great thread. Reminds of the very useful Alonso vs Massa thread.

http://www.michael-s...w...078&lang=uk

You were saying?  ;)

#8 fanboy

fanboy

• 999 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 16:57

Damn you beat me to it. :lol:

I think Schumacher will beat him. Mind you, if He even matched Kimi it will be totally embaressing for the finn. He has to beat Schumacher. This will be very interesting.

#9 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 16:58

I think that Michael will lose to Kimi by just a bit. No doubt he's probably still a darn good racer, but he's surely lost a bit of his edge.

#10 Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz

• 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:00

Do they allow testing for him?

#11 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:02

I think that Michael will lose to Kimi by just a bit. No doubt he's probably still a darn good racer, but he's surely lost a bit of his edge.

Yep thats exactly what i said to my brother this morning. His race sharpness wont be as finely tuned as anyone else on the grid, but his talent's still there, he seems to be as in good a shape now as when he quit and the team will love him being back in the car. To sum up: this is gonna be freaking awesome!!!!!

#12 Fallout

Fallout

• 476 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:06

Really looking forward to this. Cannot predict the result. My hopes are that Kimi beats him and my brain says that he should, but you know it's Raikkonen .. :rolleyes: Sometimes you are just confused about how shitty he can drive, when you've seen races like Suzuka 05 or Spa 04 .. so yeah, I hope that Kimi proves that he's at least faster than a slightly out of fit 40-year old man. :drunk:

#13 fanboy

fanboy

• 999 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:08

Kimi will be under massive pressure with everything to lose. He is expected to beat Michael and if he doesnt then he looks really bad.

#14 saberskunk

saberskunk

• 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:10

The thing is, kimi won't give a toss either way.

#15 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:18

Schumacher humiliates Raikonnen by been close

Define close? Kimi cannot win, no matter what. If he beats him, the bashers would say "look how close MS is, with the handicap that he is entitled to by virtue of his age and retirement, he clearly showed he was faster than Kimi even though he wasn't."

#16 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:18

That's the problem. In no time, schumacher will have the team around him again and Kimi will be just the 2nd driver

#17 Fallout

Fallout

• 476 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:19

Define close? Kimi cannot win, no matter what. If he beats him, the bashers would say "look how close MS is, with the handicap that he is entitled to by virtue of his age and retirement, he clearly showed he was faster than Kimi even though he wasn't."

QFT. Either way it's going to be exciting .. I would especially love to see a battle between them, even though that ain't happening.

#18 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

don't know, this might be the first thing to stick a bomb under Kimi in a long time.

#19 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Really looking forward to this. Cannot predict the result. My hopes are that Kimi beats him and my brain says that he should, but you know it's Raikkonen .. :rolleyes: Sometimes you are just confused about how shitty he can drive, when you've seen races like Suzuka 05 or Spa 04 .. so yeah, I hope that Kimi proves that he's at least faster than a slightly out of fit 40-year old man. :drunk:

It's going to be a cruel and anxious wait for both KR and MS fans... :p

My expectation is that MS race pace will be around half a second per lap slower that Räikönnens, and in my view that would be great from both of them, all thing considered.

In fact, I believe if MS for some reason can't get within a second of Räikönnen at Valencia than he won't drive any more races.

Advertisement

#20 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:20

Schumacher by a country mile. He wouldn't bother with a comeback if he was going to be beaten. And Ferrari wouldn't bother putting him in the car if the end result was going to be the already-as-good-as-fired half of their 2009 race driver lineup looking good.

Thank doG my boy has no reputation left to lose and no future prospects to protect. Small mercies and all that. :well:

Edited by kismet, 29 July 2009 - 17:24.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:21

Schumacher. He wants it more.

#22 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:22

And to think that until a few minutes ago you considered Alonso > Ferrari the biggest thorn in the side... now there are suddenly completely different things to worry about... :lol:

Isn't it a cruel world? :p

#23 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:22

I dont even care who is faster at this point, Im just happy that I get to see them racing in the same car :up: :)

#24 Fallout

Fallout

• 476 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:23

What bothers me the most is how the hell are we supposed to spot who's who on track, when their helmets look so identical at a distance?

#25 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:24

And to think that until a few minutes ago you considered Alonso > Ferrari the biggest thorn in the side... now there are suddenly completely different things to worry about... :lol:

Isn't it a cruel world? :p

I found the Alonso rumors amusing at best, it must have hurt you that your boy will not replace Massa but life is tough. What a cruel world we live in indeed :rotfl:

#26 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:27

I think the expectation is on Kimi to beat Michael, it has to be given all the time and experience he has in the car and his age etc. I'd imagine Michael will tail him closely.

#27 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:28

I found the Alonso rumors amusing at best, it must have hurt you that your boy will not replace Massa but life is tough. What a cruel world we live in indeed :rotfl:

Yeah, sure... Alonso for Massa was never going to happen, but could you have imagined something worse?

:p

#28 Flexa

Flexa

• 428 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:29

So whos gonna be Schumi's mechanics team? If not mistkaen they all were transfered to Kimi and Rubens ones went to Felipe, but now in thesis the ones used to work with him (Schu) will continue with Kimi and he'll be with Felipe's part.

ah his engineer, Rob or Chris ? O.o

Edited by Flexa, 29 July 2009 - 17:30.

#29 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:31

I think the expectation is on Kimi to beat Michael, it has to be given all the time and experience he has in the car and his age etc. I'd imagine Michael will tail him closely.

If by some stroke of luck/driving ability Schumi did find himself in front of Kimi during a race, wouldn't he have to let him pass....'for the championship'?? :clap: :clap:

#30 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:32

So whos gonna be Schumi's mechanics team? If not mistkaen they all were transfered to Kimi and Rubens ones went to Felipe, but now in thesis the ones used to work with him (Schu) will continue with Kimi and he'll be with Felipe's part.

ah his engineer, Rob or Chris ? O.o

It can't be Chris Dyer at all, since he was promoted a little while back. It'll surely be Rob.

#31 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:33

If by some stroke of luck/driving ability Schumi did find himself in front of Kimi during a race, wouldn't he have to let him pass....'for the championship'?? :clap: :clap:

... only that there is no championship in it for Ferrari this year.

#32 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:34

Ahh I voted maybe 5 hours ago for the first option but just out of fun (never thought that his comeback was going to happen) and with the thought that Kimi needs every voice.

But now: I won´t dare to make a prediction. In 2006 i was sure that Kimi would dominate Massa and it didn´t happen. So this time I´lls stay quiet and just hope that Kimi beats Schumi. But I am far from sure about it. :|

Anyway: I just hope that Ferrari plays a fair game.

#33 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:35

... only that there is no championship in it for Ferrari this year.

Fine, they might have to lengthen the official phrase to "..championship standings.", but you get my drift :p

#34 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:36

Yeah, sure... Alonso for Massa was never going to happen, but could you have imagined something worse?

:p

How is that worse (or better)? :eek:
Your joy or glee is a little misplaced. I was laughing my ass off at the Spanish PR campaign to install Alonso at Ferrari and the numerous gullible souls like you who bought it and were already salivating at the prospect of Alonso vs Massa.

#35 Flexa

Flexa

• 428 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:37

It can't be Chris Dyer at all, since he was promoted a little while back. It'll surely be Rob.

Yesh thought about that, but as teamwork between Chris and Schu is of long years, perhaps, Chris and Rob would swap places temporarily until Felipe returns ofc.

#36 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:39

Fine, they might have to lengthen the official phrase to "..championship standings.", but you get my drift :p

If Ferrari played fair and gave equal treatment to it drivers for two and a half years, why would they suddenly change their policy and start giving orders. It's not like Kimi is fighting for the WDC, what good would MS moving over for him will do for Kimi?

#37 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:42

Ahh I voted maybe 5 hours ago for the first option but just out of fun (never thought that his comeback was going to happen) and with the thought that Kimi needs every voice.

But now: I won´t dare to make a prediction. In 2006 i was sure that Kimi would dominate Massa and it didn´t happen. So this time I´lls stay quiet and just hope that Kimi beats Schumi. But I am far from sure about it. :|

Anyway: I just hope that Ferrari plays a fair game.

kimi no longer has to deal with those understeering cars...hes going to destroy shumi.. :smoking:

#38 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:48

How is that worse (or better)? :eek:
Your joy or glee is a little misplaced. I was laughing my ass off at the Spanish PR campaign to install Alonso at Ferrari and the numerous gullible souls like you who bought it and were already salivating at the prospect of Alonso vs Massa.

Ahh, just a minor side issue: show me my post were I've done what you claim above, will you?

You're obviously a little excited right now, try to calm down and then we talk again.... :wave:

#39 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:49

Michael is 40 and has never driven the F60 and retired three years ago, what do you expect? I mean Kimi has to be the favourite here. I'm looking forward to his fanboys declaring him the fastest man ever again if that happens and he beats old Schumi. :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#40 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:50

kimi no longer has to deal with those understeering cars...hes going to destroy shumi.. :smoking:

Stop making such BS statements. :mad:

#41 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Ahh, just a minor side issue: show me my post were I've done what you claim above, will you?

You're obviously a little excited right now, try to calm down and then we talk again.... :wave:

Sorry, I thought you were. You are certainly devastated now that no one talks about Alonso vs Massa any more, when you settle down then we discuss the new battle :wave:

#42 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

clearly Michael. He can now sabotage Kimi's car more easily.

#43 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:51

Michael is 40 and has never driven the F60 and retired three years ago, what do you expect? I mean Kimi has to be the favourite here. I'm looking forward to his fanboys declaring him the fastest man ever again if that happens and he beats old Schumi. :rolleyes:

And I looking forward to MS fanboys declaring MS the fastest ever no matter what he achieves vs Kimi.

#44 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:51

Interesting to see largely the "neutrals" rejoycing in the prospect, but the respective fanboys on each side running scared...

#45 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 17:57

Sorry, I thought you were. You are certainly devastated now that no one talks about Alonso vs Massa any more, when you settle down then we discuss the new battle :wave:

Well, not that you're inclined to believe me, but I actually did not want Alonso to drive Massa's Ferrari, it just wouldn't have felt right getting the drive that way. With MS replacing Felipe that's no issue.

#46 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 18:00

Stop making such BS statements. :mad:

i think the most irritating aspect here is listening to kimi fans without an understanding of how complicated an f1 car can be..i mean no disrespect but ive really have had enough of kimi fans who now suddenly think that their favourite driver is not so good anymore without realizing the issues he had to deal with in the 07,08 cars...therefore we get people like kismet etc..the problem is not with him,but u actually dont understand enough about driving a racing car..he suddenly becomes yer favourite adriver after 05 and then suddenly average again in 08?...

whenever hes going to find a decent setup like he did in hungary,hes going to be his old demon self again.with the wider slick tyres this year along with other rule changes,im positive hes not going to have to worry about US anymore...

i actually am really looking forward to seeing him face off again MS...its going to put a lot of things to reast..for the better i hope.

#47 Bumper

Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 18:01

Thread edited. No personal attacks please, you know the deal.

#48 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

I hope ferrari keeps improving the '09 car, a win would be possible then imo

#49 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Well, not that you're inclined to believe me, but I actually did not want Alonso to drive Massa's Ferrari, it just wouldn't have felt right getting the drive that way. With MS replacing Felipe that's no issue.

I was talking about pre-Hungaroring, i.e. talks about Alonso moving to Ferrari in 2010 with the assumption he would replace Kimi. The idea of Alonso replacing Massa this season was even crazier, Ferrari have much more class than that - to abandon their fallen comrade at this stage would have been... not a chance.

#50 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 18:02

I hope ferrari keeps improving the '09 car, a win would be possible then imo

Maybe MS will improve the car or bring rain to Spa so that he can win (no wet weather tyres before it starts raining, please!)