Photo

Spa Preview

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:09

With the changing fortunes of the teams seeming to be a product of track temperature I think that Red Bull will return to competitive form at Spa. The RBs have been at their best where getting tyres up to temperature is a problem for some other teams. On the other hand Vettel's recent form has been slightly below Webber's and he has an issue with engine use. I believe he has only one (possibly 2) fresh engines.

I think Brawn GP will really struggle to find temperature for qualifying well. This could also be an issue for McLaren whose recent improvements have been on show only in the heat of Hungary and Valencia and their cars have loved the softer tyre. Ferrari on the other hand have a handle on all conditions even if they lack raw pace to be a favourite for the win. However Kimi is usually glorious around Spa so don't count the Finn out for a possible win for the Scuderia. Without a solid number two driver in the team though, it will make it harder over the course of the weekend for Kimi.

Of the rest, Nico Rosberg also looms as a top 5 (he hasn't been out of the top 5 over the last 5 rounds). Williams is producing consistency not seen for 5 years or so and they use their tyres quite well in all scenarios without ever having a "sweet spot" which needs to be found. Maybe Spa will be a breakthrough event for Nico.... Alonso in the very average Renault could spring a qualifying surprise and run light but I doubt it after the Hungary fiasco and BMW are potential Q3 with a car that is working a tiny bit better. Toyota seem to have lost the plot entirely and are destined to fight just to make Q2.

For me I think Red Bull and Kimi, possibly Lewis, will be on the podium and Brawn will lose a lot of points to their closest rivals with poor qualifying.

Edited by Muz Bee, 24 August 2009 - 01:12.

Advertisement

#2 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:19

McLaren will romp it, their KERS package is too strong and Spa is a power circuit. They are onviously getting the rest of the package sorted too. Regardless of start position Hamilton will take first place by the end of Kemmel straight.

A mention for Brawn, it's not a hard circuit on tyres and Brawns car has good balance, should be good for a podium but I don't know who.

Kimi always seems to shine here so my podium will be

Hammo
Rubens
Kimi

#3 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:43

The aero grip of RBR will give them a 1 and 2 with a Brawn in the mix. I dont think KERS will be a big benefit here.

#4 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:45

Kimi , the RBR guys, Brawn guys and Hamilton could all be fighting for the win. Rosberg to maybe pip one of these guys and get into the top 6. Force India to nick a point.

#5 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:47

I think we'll see a Red Bull resurgence. But McLaren and Ferrari will be strong with KERS, so the question will be whether Brawn can mix it up with them and score some good points. The field is so closely matched that the slightest mistake or bad start (like Vettel's refueling or Button getting forced to lift today) can doom your race. Unlike Valencia, it's possible to pass at Spa but I still don't expect to see much passing.

#6 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:49

McLaren will romp it, their KERS package is too strong and Spa is a power circuit. They are onviously getting the rest of the package sorted too. Regardless of start position Hamilton will take first place by the end of Kemmel straight.

A mention for Brawn, it's not a hard circuit on tyres and Brawns car has good balance, should be good for a podium but I don't know who.

Kimi always seems to shine here so my podium will be

Hammo
Rubens
Kimi

Point 1 - Spa is a speed circuit, not a power circuit IMHO. This distinction is often confused. KERS will come into play less at the start at Spa than we have just seen and little effect in the race.
Point 2 - Tyre performance has become more a factor of temperature than surface of recent times. The Brawn v Red Bull performance graph has been very clear between cool and hot. This has come up in team media comments as well. Brawn expect to do well at warmer events.

I am really interested to see if McLaren will show similar tendencies because we have only seen the "new" iteration McLaren in hot conditions. Sunday will tell the story.

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:20

McLaren will romp it, their KERS package is too strong and Spa is a power circuit. (...)

No way it'll be easy enough that they'll romp with it. They were insuferable at Silverstone, trully terrible. And they had plenty of straights there too. Even though the package has improved, there's no way they have gone from being a lap down to outright winning pace on a track of similar characteristics. I don't think I've ever seen such improvement so quick without any testing in the meantime.

Red Bull should be the quickest, maybe Hamilton can fight for a podium. I suspect Kimi/Ferrari will be stronger. And if the Brawn suddenly clicks in, they'll give the rest a very serious run for their money, at the very least.

#8 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:25

In the wet, I think Mark Webber would outshine everyone, although SV might have something to say...

#9 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:14

In the wet, I think Mark Webber would outshine everyone, although SV might have something to say...

and it very well could be wet. I'm interested to see how mclaren and ferrari will perform in the dry. Hoping Red bull will score some valuable championship points.

#10 mstar

mstar

• 1,833 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:22

in the wet button is the best driver out of RB,SV,MW his record shows this if we watched him race in F1. Problem jenson has is the brawn generate temp if its wet in spa for him to use the car they way he can

#11 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:25

in the wet button is the best driver out of RB,SV,MW his record shows this if we watched him race in F1. Problem jenson has is the brawn generate temp if its wet in spa for him to use the car they way he can

show me those records please.

#12 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:28

As a very high-speed and flowing track, Red Bull should be fast in Spa.

Should suit Ferrari as well, especially Kimi who has always been quick around it.

McLaren? Is it producing enough downforce at the moment?

#13 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:29

Vettel "Please engine, don't let go, please don't let go"

#14 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:33

I can't wait for spa as all alonso's fans are willing to see for once renault's real potential which has been impossible to see so far due to bad luck,

in germany alonso had the package, he knew it and was expectant to his chances for the race, he saw himself winning, was the fastest in q1 showing that low temperatures suited his renault perfectly, shame his spin in q2 which ruined his race, nevertheless again on sunday showed an astonishing race pace and marked the fastest lap and his two last stints without traffic were thrilling

in hungary, a bad circuit for his renault, made the pole and without the fuel pump problem was a strong candidate for victory

in valencia, probably the worst circuit for renault, they were pretty confident, alonso on friday was so upbeat that could see himself easily winning, although he only mentioned options of podium, and again a problem with his brakes impeded him to fight for pole ruining his chances of victory,

renault is there, they know it, but regretfully didn't have options yet to show its potential, spa is going to be the day, alonso is confident and renault are confident, this chain of bad luck is only a matter of time

#15 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,423 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:40

O rly?

In Monaco last year, Barrichello LAPPED Button, and was a long way ahead of Button before he span out at Silverstone.

#16 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:15

Which tyres will Bridgestone bring to this GP?

#17 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:20

No way it'll be easy enough that they'll romp with it. They were insuferable at Silverstone, trully terrible. And they had plenty of straights there too. Even though the package has improved, there's no way they have gone from being a lap down to outright winning pace on a track of similar characteristics. I don't think I've ever seen such improvement so quick without any testing in the meantime.

Red Bull should be the quickest, maybe Hamilton can fight for a podium. I suspect Kimi/Ferrari will be stronger. And if the Brawn suddenly clicks in, they'll give the rest a very serious run for their money, at the very least.

Mclaren did not use KERS in silverstone.

#18 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:26

Mclaren did not use KERS in silverstone.

Exactly - I'd say borderline them using it at Spa too. Not a big payoff for the fixed wight. Short wheelbase could be an issue there too. I think Lewis will do well to get on podium unless it rains in which case.... McLaren's first ever F1 (championship race) win was Spa in 1968 and last year should have been a great 40th anniversary.

#19 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:33

I can't wait for spa as all alonso's fans are willing to see for once renault's real potential which has been impossible to see so far due to bad luck,

in germany alonso had the package, he knew it and was expectant to his chances for the race, he saw himself winning, was the fastest in q1 showing that low temperatures suited his renault perfectly, shame his spin in q2 which ruined his race, nevertheless again on sunday showed an astonishing race pace and marked the fastest lap and his two last stints without traffic were thrilling

in hungary, a bad circuit for his renault, made the pole and without the fuel pump problem was a strong candidate for victory

in valencia, probably the worst circuit for renault, they were pretty confident, alonso on friday was so upbeat that could see himself easily winning, although he only mentioned options of podium, and again a problem with his brakes impeded him to fight for pole ruining his chances of victory,

renault is there, they know it, but regretfully didn't have options yet to show its potential, spa is going to be the day, alonso is confident and renault are confident, this chain of bad luck is only a matter of time

None of these thing are really bad luck. They are mistakes, either by the team (in terms of the mechanical failures) or by the driver. Also, I really have to wonder how you think Alonso was a strong candidate for victory in hungary, he had roughly **** all fuel in the car for qualli and like the few times they've done this earlier in the season he was almost certainly going to be fighting for the last points using this strategy.

It's a shame to see him stuck in that Renault, let's hope the Ferrari deal is true. Renault just aren't going to produce a competetive car for him.

Advertisement

#20 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:33

Exactly - I'd say borderline them using it at Spa too. Not a big payoff for the fixed wight. Short wheelbase could be an issue there too. I think Lewis will do well to get on podium unless it rains in which case.... McLaren's first ever F1 (championship race) win was Spa in 1968 and last year should have been a great 40th anniversary.

I think it will be a good idea if they don't use KERS on Friday or part of it to trully test the new car and maybe this will help to accelerate the development which will in turn feed into next years car. Not using KERS at Silverstone payed of later.

#21 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:35

Exactly - I'd say borderline them using it at Spa too.

The difference between Silverstone and Spa is the number of slow corners. Silverstone just doesn't have the acceleration zones out of slow speed corners to make Kers lethal, Spa has a fair few of these. Now I completely agree about the balence comments, but I just don't see it being as clear-cut as that.

I'd put money on KERS being on the car for the GP.

#22 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:44

None of these thing are really bad luck. They are mistakes, either by the team (in terms of the mechanical failures) or by the driver. Also, I really have to wonder how you think Alonso was a strong candidate for victory in hungary, he had roughly **** all fuel in the car for qualli and like the few times they've done this earlier in the season he was almost certainly going to be fighting for the last points using this strategy.

It's a shame to see him stuck in that Renault, let's hope the Ferrari deal is true. Renault just aren't going to produce a competetive car for him.

use the term you like, both denied us to see alonso's real potential

and alonso was a strong candidate in hungary, he knew it because he declared it and there is no way a driver in an average car is going to put the money on himself just to be the laugh of everybody, he won in 2003 in a 3 stopper also, he was really quick, he opened a gap of 3.8 in the first 3 laps which was really good pacewise to win the race, and then the problem with the fuel pump which forced him to reduce his pace and made him look slower than he actually was, was trying to control and manipulate fuel consumption from the steering wheel but was unable and was forced to pit earlier, and according to renault, regardless of the wheel problem they would have had to leave the race anyway

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:53

The difference between Silverstone and Spa is the number of slow corners. Silverstone just doesn't have the acceleration zones out of slow speed corners to make Kers lethal, Spa has a fair few of these. Now I completely agree about the balence comments, but I just don't see it being as clear-cut as that.

I'd put money on KERS being on the car for the GP.

Whitmarsh said yesterday the problem is the amount of braking time for charging, only 3 braking events probably not totalling the 6.6 seconds they need. But plenty of opportunity to deploy whatever they can harvest, 5 seconds' worth or whatever it is. I'm sure they'll fit it.

#24 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:55

Would have been? I know who won that race, and it wasn't a ferrari driver, it was a McLaren driver and his name was Lewis Hamilton, i dont need an official result to tell me otherwise!

#25 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:39

I honestly hope Red Bull can get back to form,else Brawn are just going to take it easy and the title fight would soon become thing of the past.

#26 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:04

show me those records please.

LOL. Bit difficult to post vids of all the wet races and sessions of the past nine years, what with copyright issues, bandwidth issues and other things to do issues. Perhaps you could have paid attention at the time or, if you weren't about, take advantage of the experiences of those who did.  ;)

Those four drivers have each shown exceptional ability in the wet, though, so they are less likely to be a decisive factor than strategy, tyre choice and set-up just hitting the best compromise at critical stages of the race. That's the problem with trying to establish the best set-up and strategy for unpredictable/changeable conditions: you can't predict them and they keep changing! Sunday could be entertaining.

#27 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:16

LOL. Bit difficult to post vids of all the wet races and sessions of the past nine years, what with copyright issues, bandwidth issues and other things to do issues. Perhaps you could have paid attention at the time or, if you weren't about, take advantage of the experiences of those who did.;)

Those four drivers have each shown exceptional ability in the wet, though, so they are less likely to be a decisive factor than strategy, tyre choice and set-up just hitting the best compromise at critical stages of the race. That's the problem with trying to establish the best set-up and strategy for unpredictable/changeable conditions: you can't predict them and they keep changing! Sunday could be entertaining.

I've watched some f1 races before and I don't share the opionion button is the better wet driver to be a fact. It is impossible to say who is better. But I believe Vettel has a pretty decent wet race record.

edit: I made a poll to see who people think is the best wet weather driver at the moment. http://forums.autosp...howtopic=113926

Edited by Ruud de la Rosa, 24 August 2009 - 12:50.

#28 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 13:59

But I believe Vettel has a pretty decent wet race record.

No doubt about that!

#29 katmen

katmen

• 822 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 14:03

made my day :rotfl:

thanks

Edited by katmen, 24 August 2009 - 14:04.

#30 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 14:43

I'm curious as to what Red Bull will do with Vettel now. Do they turn down the revs on his engine to make it last? The field is just so closely matched that doing so could put him back 5 or 6 positions. Considering how far back he is of Button, I think they'll just have to gamble and hope they don't lose any more lumps.

#31 mstar

mstar

• 1,833 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 15:32

well its easy webber will do a lot more running and vettel will use marks data more. THis may backfire as increasing milage and use on marks engines may impact him and his engine life.

either way i think if vettel finishes lower in spa and monza he will have to start supporting mark as he just cannot keep a championship challenge with his allocation

#32 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 16:29

No doubt about that!

according to the current poll results it seems button is in fact the worst wet driver of the 4. Surely it couldn't be that internet polls are hugely biased and unreliable?;)

#33 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:23

use the term you like, both denied us to see alonso's real potential

and alonso was a strong candidate in hungary, he knew it because he declared it and there is no way a driver in an average car is going to put the money on himself just to be the laugh of everybody, he won in 2003 in a 3 stopper also, he was really quick, he opened a gap of 3.8 in the first 3 laps which was really good pacewise to win the race, and then the problem with the fuel pump which forced him to reduce his pace and made him look slower than he actually was, was trying to control and manipulate fuel consumption from the steering wheel but was unable and was forced to pit earlier, and according to renault, regardless of the wheel problem they would have had to leave the race anyway

When you consider his extreme low fuel strategy still couldn't produce a significant lead..... He emerged from the stop way outside the top ten among cars travelling 2+ seconds a lap slower than the leaders. Given the leaders would go at least another 8 - 10 laps longer, and the cars he would have been held up by (had he not had the wheel fly off) would continue circulating on heavy fuel strategy for much more than another 10 laps...... Fernando would have ended up refuelling again before he even ended up in the top 8 and still needing a third pitstop. He was headed for 0 points, no doubt. So Alonso declared it? So you believe it? You are gullible. Remember Williams were also sure they were going to be able to jump Raikonnen during the Valencia race - basing their view I guess on the qualifying times etc.

F1 these days is determined by TRACK POSITION. If you don't have it you get stuck in someone else's race. Fernando would have been engaged with a race with Toyotas etc.

#34 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:26

When you consider his extreme low fuel strategy still couldn't produce a significant lead..... He emerged from the stop way outside the top ten among cars travelling 2+ seconds a lap slower than the leaders. Given the leaders would go at least another 8 - 10 laps longer, and the cars he would have been held up by (had he not had the wheel fly off) would continue circulating on heavy fuel strategy for much more than another 10 laps...... Fernando would have ended up refuelling again before he even ended up in the top 8 and still needing a third pitstop. He was headed for 0 points, no doubt. So Alonso declared it? So you believe it? You are gullible. Remember Williams were also sure they were going to be able to jump Raikonnen during the Valencia race - basing their view I guess on the qualifying times etc.

F1 these days is determined by TRACK POSITION. If you don't have it you get stuck in someone else's race. Fernando would have been engaged with a race with Toyotas etc.

All these issues can be fix with new regulations of less Aerodynamic grip.

#35 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:39

Point 1 - Spa is a speed circuit, not a power circuit IMHO. This distinction is often confused. KERS will come into play less at the start at Spa than we have just seen and little effect in the race.
Point 2 - Tyre performance has become more a factor of temperature than surface of recent times. The Brawn v Red Bull performance graph has been very clear between cool and hot. This has come up in team media comments as well. Brawn expect to do well at warmer events.

I am really interested to see if McLaren will show similar tendencies because we have only seen the "new" iteration McLaren in hot conditions. Sunday will tell the story.

I don't think McLaren will be using the short wheelbase car at Spa.

KERS is perfect for Spa, it will help tremendously with the uphill speed on eau rouge, as well as exiting the bus stop.

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:49

I don't think McLaren will be using the short wheelbase car at Spa.

KERS is perfect for Spa, it will help tremendously with the uphill speed on eau rouge, as well as exiting the bus stop.

Actually KERS is more effective on stop-and-go tracks... It won't be useless but Spa definitely is more of a flowing track (which this year's McLaren hates the most).

Not so sure about touching that button through Eau Rouge either, based on how they generally use it, I guess most of it is going to be gone after the bus stop squirt..

Edited by Slowinfastout, 24 August 2009 - 20:50.

#37 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:56

again....sigh...

could not produce a significant lead due to the fuel pump breakdown in lap 3...should I say it in chinese to see if then is understood?

and alonso did declare it, not only before the race, but also AFTER the race

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 21:07

RBR should be fast. They certainly need to be fast here. Kimi should be mega here too. Brawn & McLaren will probably lag slightly behind.

#39 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:01

Looks like it could be windy and showery for the weekend at Spa as ex hurricane Bill joins up with another low pressure system to form what looks like an Atlantic winter type storm which should be somewhere between Scotland and Norway at the weekend.

Edited by Phucaigh, 24 August 2009 - 22:01.

Advertisement

#40 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:04

Looks like it could be windy and showery for the weekend at Spa as ex hurricane Bill joins up with another low pressure system to form what looks like an Atlantic winter type storm which should be somewhere between Scotland and Norway at the weekend.

Accu-Weather says 24 degrees Celsius and a few showers on Friday, followed by two days or dry, partly cloudy conditions with temperatures hovering below 20 degrees?

Though this is Spa we're talking about so trying to predict the weather is more difficult than ever.

#41 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:06

should I say it in chinese to see if then is understood?

Yes, please :D

#42 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:10

:rotfl:

I feel sorry for Seb, he has had some rotten luck this year, I can see him winning here if his engine lasts.

#43 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:12

again....sigh...

could not produce a significant lead due to the fuel pump breakdown in lap 3...should I say it in chinese to see if then is understood?

and alonso did declare it, not only before the race, but also AFTER the race

You can say it in any language you like Buddy, it's still the same. Do the maths - Alonso + Renault + SLOW, no light fuel load can disguise it and the lap times don't back up the fuel pump claims. We are supposed to be talking about Spa aren't we? If you want to put money on Fernado winning I'mn sure you will get great odds. :rolleyes:

#44 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:13

:rotfl:

I feel sorry for Seb, he has had some rotten luck this year, I can see him winning here if his engine lasts.

Yes, I have to say I think he rivals Lewis as a rain master so could well turn the tables yet again.

#45 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:51

Of course KERS will be a huge benefit at Spa. But I do agree it won't be used through Eau Rouge. IMHO it will be used mainly in S2 to slingshot the cars out of Rivage, Pouhon and Fagnes. Those are perfect corners to use it to accelerate out of them quicker. The charging points looks to be breaking for Les Combes, somewhat prior to Rivage, the Bus Stop and La Source. So look out for Ferrari and McLaren to be quick in S2 and Red Bull quick in S3.

Edited by VicR, 25 August 2009 - 12:52.

#46 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 13:07

I don't think KERS will be a big help, it may even be a disadvantage when it comes to car balance in corners like pouhon.

#47 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 13:20

I don't think KERS will be a big help, it may even be a disadvantage when it comes to car balance in corners like pouhon.

Car balance has been an issue with KERS all season. Why would it be worse at Spa? Yes, it will affect the balance but that has been the story all year. Especially for Ferrari. But they are getting to grips with it lately juding by the numerous podiums.

#48 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 13:29

You can say it in any language you like Buddy, it's still the same. Do the maths - Alonso + Renault + SLOW, no light fuel load can disguise it and the lap times don't back up the fuel pump claims. We are supposed to be talking about Spa aren't we? If you want to put money on Fernado winning I'mn sure you will get great odds. :rolleyes:

Interesting. I seem to remember a certain German driver 11 years ago who had that same losing strategy with a car that was 1/2 to nearly a second off the pace from the fastest cars and he still manage to end up in victory lane.

What a mystery, but then again, his fuel pump didn't fail.

#49 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 13:30

Car balance has been an issue with KERS all season. Why would it be worse at Spa? Yes, it will affect the balance but that has been the story all year. Especially for Ferrari. But they are getting to grips with it lately juding by the numerous podiums.

Well it's not like Ferrari don't have an aerodynamically strong car, and the past few races haven't exactly had any of the fast sweepers like Spa has.

#50 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 21:05

Car balance gains/loses proportionately greater amounts of time in faster curves than hairpins for example. That's why Silverstone didn't favour KERS (as well as the lack of brake use). I believe McLaren didn't use KERS there. It's going to be a tactical weapon if it's used - the start is the main benefit, plus defending a lead. Potentially a McLaren could hold up half the field like Kovalainen did at Germany. McLaren would need to qualify in top 4 to have a chance of getting the lead and IMO this may require light fuel which would then gift the lead to Red Bulls and maybe Rosberg for second stint. I think the biggest handicap for KERS at Spa will be achieving decent qualifying with it without compromising fuel strategy.

Of course the rain factor in the Ardennes could make a mockery of any predictions.