• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 18:36

Latest press release just received.

The Third Weekend of Automobile Excellence on track

In the rural setting of the third Weekend of Automobile Excellence taking place on 25th, 26th and 27th September at the Reims-Gueux in Champagne circuit, the famous auctioneer Bonhams is organising an exceptionally high quality auction.

Taking centre stage is a very rare 1912 Bugatti with a reserve price already fixed at €1,800,000! The car in question is the ex-Ettore Bugatti chassis no. 471.

This will certainly attract the most reputable collectors of the prestigious Molsheim “thoroughbreds”!

In addition to this Bugatti, the Bonhams catalogue will also include some beautiful cars and motorcycles whose proud owners are sadly thinking of parting with them.

Amongst them are several Mercedes-Benz including a 1937 540K Cabriolet C estimated at between €400,000 and €600,000 and a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ valued at around €350,000.

As we have already announced, after two years with Mercedes as the star, this year it is the turn of Jaguar to take pride of place. The unforgettable Jaguar C-Type, D-Type and XJR-9LM models which all proved their reputation on the Le Mans 24 hour circuit, will leave the Jaguar Heritage Museum in Coventry (UK), the birthplace of the manufacturer.

Several prestigious single-seaters will also feature among the cars on the track over the course of this third Weekend of Automobile Excellence:

· The Brabham BT 23 from the Roy Winkelman Racing team. This car was driven in the Trophée de France in Reims in 1967 by the late Austrian driver Jochen Rindt, who was posthumously awarded the Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship a few weeks after his dramatic accident of 5th September 1970 in practice for the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, behind the wheel of a Lotus.

· Also present on the Reims-Gueux circuit will be several recent single-seaters which have all taken part in the F1 World Championships, such as a Tyrrell and a Jordan, two constructors which are no longer part of the Grand Prix scene.

The English racing cars will share centre stage with the former champions of the world of motorcycling, the Italian Giacomo Agostini (the rider with the most Grand Prix wins, with fifteen titles) and his big British rival Phil Read. They will be astride the famous MV Agusta, which won several World Championships in the 1960s and 1970s. A number of drivers from this glorious era will also be on the track such as the Frenchman Jean-François Baldé, who came second in the world championships riding for Kawasaki, Eric Saul, Ron Chandler, ...

Another of the famous faces on the track will be Bruno Saby from Grenoble, the only driver to have won the three prestigious rallies of Monte Carlo, the Tour de Corse and the Paris Dakar, not forgetting the Cross Country Rally World Cup which he won in 2007.

To date, more than a hundred cars and motorcycles have already registered for this third Weekend of Automobile Excellence, demonstrating the importance of this gathering on the Reims circuit.

For fans travelling from Great Britain, Eurotunnel has put together a special package which includes a return Eurotunnel ticket and entrance to the Weekend of Automobile Excellence.

This year the car parks have been improved to provide ample space for the public.

On Sunday, at the beginning of the afternoon, the public will be treated to an air display by the “Cartouche Doré”, a formation made up of former pilots of the French aerobatic display team, the Patrouille de France.

The campaign to promote the event was launched on 20th August, notably through our various media partners: Eurosport, RMC Info, Le Point and L’Union.

This third weekend is set to be packed full of events.

WEEA
Tél : + 33 (0) 450 55 93 92
Cell : + 33 (0) 661 56 89 10
Email : gaelle.arpin@weea-organisation.com

Site : http://www.weea-organisation.com

Advertisement

#2 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 16:42

Just leaving for WEEA at Reims-Gueux and hope to see some of you there on Saturday afternoon.

I will be the one with the dark blue DEPAILLER (or MATRA) T-Shirt.

Kind regards,

Stef

#3 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 20:37

As in past years, I find it rather annoying that the Spa Six Hours, Eifelrennen at the Ring, and Reims Revival all take place over the same weekend... :well:

#4 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:14

I was there on Saturday afternoon - great event!

#5 phinorman

phinorman

• 178 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:02

Hi all readers !

As Mike Beuttler's book "Privé de gloire" author ; I was entried as driver with my Speedster Opel (aka VS220 Vauxhall in GB) with STP MArch 711 of Mike stickers.

Look after the first pic.

With my best regards from France.

http://sit.photos.or...nge.fr:8080.gif

I was there on Saturday afternoon - great event!

Edited by phinorman, 07 November 2009 - 03:25.

#6 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:38

I can confirm it! A real pleasure to meet a Mike Beuttler fan and his car which was looking like the STP MARCH 711. :wave: Further I can recommend you all to by the Mike Beuttler book :eek: which is very good :)

I have only worn my Depailler T-Shirt that day :cool: