Photo

René Arnoux sacked by Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 18:58

OK this has probably come up before, but just why was Arnoux sacked by Ferrari after one race of the 1985 season. It doesn't make sense - whilst beaten by his team mate in 1984 he had a few good runs - second in Dallas from the back of the grid etc. In 1983 he took three wins and was thrid in the WDC...

Also if it was due to his performances why not replace him at the end of 1984 - its not like his only 1985 race was bad - he came fourth!

I read somewhere it was drug related - which I can kinda believe - he was a "colourful" character after all! More outlandish was the suggestion he was having an affair with Enzo's grand-daughter - especially when it is claimed she was just 15 at this time!!! I think that one is wild rumours gone mad!

Was it just Enzo scaring his drivers as usual or what???

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 19:52

Mike

You are right, we have only recently covered this subject.
Take a look at http://www.atlasf1.c...?threadid=10428
:)
Felix

(As we are now entering our second year, and in order for this not to happen too frequently, it might be a good idea if you take a look at the Search facility):cool:

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 21:33

Lay off, the second year isn't here yet!

#4 Paul Hartshorne

Paul Hartshorne

• 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2000 - 06:46

I had to laugh at the article on Stefan Bellof in this month's Motorsport, where it claims that Ferrari wanted him for 1985, but couldn't sack Arnoux, when, of course, they actually did sack Arnoux!

#5 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 27 October 2000 - 09:33

Ray

You are right!
I don't know which month is this...
:)

Felix