Photo

Charouz buying Renault F1 for David Richards?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:41

Just got a mail from a reliable source that Charouz Racing Systems bought the Renault F1 Team for David Richards.

Advertisement

#2 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:43

Never heard of Charouz I would have thought that Richards could more than afford Renault himself if he wanted it

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:45

Charouz Racing Systems is a partner of Prodrive since last year, when they were the first to start running a Lola-Aston Martin in LMS. Jan Charouz (probably the son of the company's founder/CEO) is an Aston Martin Racing driver now.

#4 Suchmacher

Suchmacher

• 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:45

How reliable is your source? Sounds "weird" at the minute isn't it?

#5 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:47

Charouz Racing Systems is a partner of Prodrive since last year, when they were the first to start running a Lola-Aston Martin in LMS. Jan Charouz (probably the son of the company's founder/CEO) is an Aston Martin Racing driver now.

Interesting but its the "bought for" Dave Richards that I am confused about

Richards owns a massive empire in motorsport aswell as Aston Martin cars surely he is far more wealthy than Charouz and would be able to afford Renault himself without asking someone to buy it for him

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:48

Richards owns a massive empire in motorsport aswell as Aston Martin cars surely he is far more wealthy than Charouz and would be able to afford Renault himself without asking someone to buy it for him

If this is true, then it's probably a bit of a "subcontracting" from Prodrive.

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:49

This is a most interesting season... :drunk: :stoned:

#8 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:52

Just got a mail from a reliable source that Charouz Racing Systems bought the Renault F1 Team for David Richards.

Not the best of times to buy Renault f1 is it? why not wait until after the hearing? Or they got it really really cheap (around 0 Euro)

#9 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:54

Maybe it's just Dave Richards called in to step up into Flav's flip-flops?

#10 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:55

Not the best of times to buy Renault f1 is it? why not wait until after the hearing? Or they got it really really cheap (around 0 Euro)

Perhaps they've had a quiet word with Bernie and Max?

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:55

Maybe it's just Dave Richards called in to step up into Flav's flip-flops?

Now that wouldn't be so interesting would it?

#12 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:59

Pitpass reported yesterday afternoon that Dave had been seen at Renault.

#13 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:01

I was just texted by my source and he said to me that Fernando Alonso's transfer to Ferrari WILL be FINALLY announced at the next race, and he also said something along the lines on what the Thread starter said.

Oh wait, did he really say that?

#14 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:01

I think it's a very good time for Renault to sell. If they're banned the situation would be more difficult. This way they say to the FIA: Look, we fired Briatore and Symonds and we quit, no reason to punish us hard.

Max will have it his way, Renault acts in a responsible way to the guys working at Enstone, and everything's well.

#15 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:02

How reliable is your source? Sounds "weird" at the minute isn't it?

It not THAT weird, I can sort of understand it, Charouz has financed Prodrive and if both wanted to go into F1 it does work. But it might be adding 2 and 2 to make aleph null.

#16 Burai

Burai

• 1,897 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:05

Brilliant if true. Only two pieces of the awesome-puzzle remain; Aston Martin and that Gulf livery.

#17 timknott

timknott

• 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:05

I think it's a very good time for Renault to sell. If they're banned the situation would be more difficult. This way they say to the FIA: Look, we fired Briatore and Symonds and we quit, no reason to punish us hard.

Max will have it his way, Renault acts in a responsible way to the guys working at Enstone, and everything's well.

I'd agree with all that, only real question would be what would happen with the engine operation, I'm not fully clued up, but are they built at Enstone too? F1 still needs that engine.

#18 timknott

timknott

• 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:09

I'd agree with all that, only real question would be what would happen with the engine operation, I'm not fully clued up, but are they built at Enstone too? F1 still needs that engine.

Just had a look, looks like they are made in France, Renault to become Engine supplier only, had their best days that way... (well in my living memory anyway)

#19 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

No the engines are totally french made.

Advertisement

#20 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

What about reviving Mecachrome?

#21 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:10

What about reviving Mecachrome?

Briatore owns Mecachrome I don't see Renault doing business there

#22 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:10

Brilliant if true. Only two pieces of the awesome-puzzle remain; Aston Martin and that Gulf livery.

Who the hell am I supposed to support next year with all these awesome changes?
Aston/Gulf in F1.? I'm still cheering at the Lotus Venture.
Will they use Cosworth engines?

Edited by gm914, 17 September 2009 - 12:11.

#23 timknott

timknott

• 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:16

Also it looks like there not long for this world "In late 2008, the company sought legal protection from creditors in Canada after they defaulted on their publicly held bond" - Wikipedia.

Wouldn't really matter anyway, surly they could be re-branded as anything, Merc appears to make it work as engine supplier (in face, it appears a good business model at the moment), no reason Renault couldn't, keeps their involvement too.

#24 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:19

Ooops, forgot about that....

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:29

Also it looks like there not long for this world "In late 2008, the company sought legal protection from creditors in Canada after they defaulted on their publicly held bond" - Wikipedia.

Wouldn't really matter anyway, surly they could be re-branded as anything, Merc appears to make it work as engine supplier (in face, it appears a good business model at the moment), no reason Renault couldn't, keeps their involvement too.

Honda didn't want to continue as an engine supplier, nor do BMW when they pull out. You would think if there were a profit in it they would do it. I suspect there is only a real profit for a supplier who is active in F1.

#26 timknott

timknott

• 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:41

Honda didn't want to continue as an engine supplier, nor do BMW when they pull out. You would think if there were a profit in it they would do it. I suspect there is only a real profit for a supplier who is active in F1.

True, I may be living in more hope than reality, but the sport needs more engine options, not less.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:42

True, I may be living in more hope than reality, but the sport needs more engine options, not less.

Under the current rules it barely matters, but F1 has survived with less engine manufacturers.

#28 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:05

Or maybe it wasn't bought by Dave Richards. Maybe it was sold by Renault, to Dave Richards!

#29 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:08

Or maybe it wasn't bought by Dave Richards. Maybe it was sold by Renault, to Dave Richards!

euhm? :confused:

#30 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:10

Never heard of Charouz I would have thought that Richards could more than afford Renault himself if he wanted it

Very rich Czech. Is basically funding the Aston Martin LMP1 programme through Prodrive. One of the three Gulf Aston Martin cars is entered under the AMR Eastern Europe banner, which is basically the money that payed for the "Charouz Racing System" team over the past couple of seasons.

Obviously no evidence other than the allegedly good source of the OP, but the idea is no less stupid than Brawn sounded last December.

Ben

Edited by Ben, 17 September 2009 - 13:14.

#31 JSK

JSK

• 25 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:12

It doesn’t sound right. David Richards has connections with Kuwait investors. Charouz Racing Systems has the experience of F3000 and A1GP but I don't think that Czech company has sufficient resources for F1 team buyout. Some kind of cooperation would be more plausible but still it looks like Renault want to stay.

Edited by JSK, 17 September 2009 - 13:13.

#32 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:27

euhm? :confused:

In response to the earlier post about it not being a good time to buy the Renault F1 team, I was trying to make the point that maybe D Richards did not actively purchase the team. Maybe Reanault, knowing they were about to leave the sport, went to D Richards and sold it to him! A subtle difference I know, but significant nonetheless!

#33 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:31

Charouz could very easily afford to buy the Renault F1 team; especially as a joint exercise with Dave Richards, or Prodrive, or both.

Perhaps Charouz is acting as a proxy fro Dave Richards, because Max is no great fan!

Will it automatically become the Aston Martin F1 team, in Gulf colours? That's the key question!

#34 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:37

Since 2005 Dave Richards coming in F1 (every year with another team).

#35 Suchmacher

Suchmacher

• 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:43

That's the reason why nobody takes him serious anymore.....even if it's true.

#36 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 13:50

Since 2005 Dave Richards coming in F1 (every year with another team).

Well that's not quite true. What is a fact is that since 2005 Dave Richards has been on the fringes of re-entering F1 with a Prodrive team. In that time his business has changed, in that he has now, with the help of Middle Eastern investors, bought Aston Martin from Ford. Prodrive have established an significant Aston Martin motorsport department, part of which has them running an LMP team.

That LMP team has Gulf sponsorship (which is most famous for it's sponsorship of the Ford GT40 Le Mans cars back in the day) and a connection with Charouz.

So the truth is that Dave Richards has been on the edge of F1, and regularly said as much, for a long time, but he has also said he would only come back in when it made financial sense to do so.

Maybe now, with the financial backing from the middle East and Charouz as a partner, it's that time.

#37 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:02

In response to the earlier post about it not being a good time to buy the Renault F1 team, I was trying to make the point that maybe D Richards did not actively purchase the team. Maybe Reanault, knowing they were about to leave the sport, went to D Richards and sold it to him! A subtle difference I know, but significant nonetheless!

but richards still has to buy the team, a team that may get excluded.

#38 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:04

Point taken...

#39 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:08

maybe the punishment is forced selling....

Advertisement

#40 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:08

Does Flavio still own Mecachrome? He did own it when Renault left F1 but I thought that Renault bought it off him when it returned to F1. I could be completely wrong here, I also thought that Flav was involved in managing the engine production in some way.

Does anyone know for certain?

#41 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:16

I reckon we'll see Renault continue as an engine supplier to Williams and Charouz F1 / Prodrive F1 / whatever they decide to call it.

#42 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:23

Mecachrome Motorsports is owned by Macachrome International and Flav is not listed as a board member.

#43 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,769 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:23

That's the reason why nobody takes him serious anymore.....even if it's true.

Are you kidding? :rotfl:

#44 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:30

from wikipedia in David Richards page:

In 1997, when Flavio Briatore was fired as Director of the Benetton team, Richards replaced him. However, his tenure only lasted one year, as he could not agree a long term strategy with the team-owning Benetton family.

What a coincidence !

Dejavu :drunk:

#45 sportgrafica

sportgrafica

• 66 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 14:56

I doubt that news very much. I remember Charouz running rally cars in ERC and there always been a problem with something. It was the same in A1GP - only one win over 3 seasons. I'm sure if Richards want to find his way to F1 he will come with better idea than this one...

#46 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:32

I doubt that news very much. I remember Charouz running rally cars in ERC and there always been a problem with something. It was the same in A1GP - only one win over 3 seasons. I'm sure if Richards want to find his way to F1 he will come with better idea than this one...

Charouz has been very competitive in Le Mans. In 2007 Le Mans series and Le Mans 24 their LMP1 car had the quickest pace among the petrol powered cars. They're now partnered with Aston Martin Racing for Le Mans. They know how to race at this level

#47 Td5boy

Td5boy

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 16:35

Charouz has been very competitive in Le Mans. In 2007 Le Mans series and Le Mans 24 their LMP1 car had the quickest pace among the petrol powered cars. They're now partnered with Aston Martin Racing for Le Mans. They know how to race at this level

I agree.

#48 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 17:02

I'm sure Richards has a couple of pennies, but he and Prodrive alone can certainly not afford an F1 team.
He will surely need investors to raise a significant portion of the money needed to purchase the team.

#49 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 19:58

Charouz is quite rich businessman himself, he runs AMR, has lots of connections in Czech Republic...
But this is the Nth rumour for Renault buy-out, so may be w/o Flav it's much easier to sell :p

#50 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 20:10

some info about charouz in czech language use google translate: http://www.charouz.cz/
another info in eng: http://racing.charou...EN/chrs_en.html