Photo

SPA CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Edington Mains

Edington Mains

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:27

A Belgian photographer Friend has informed me that an over zealous judge has revoked the Licence of Spa Francorchamps to hold any racing and test days...

http://sport.turboma...pg=news&id=2681

Exclusif : Le Circuit de Francorchamps à l’arrêt!

Stupéfaction dans le petit monde du sport automobile et du côté des amoureux du circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. Nous apprenons ce mardi que le Conseil d’Etat vient de suspendre avec effet immédiat le permis d’exploitation du circuit spadois. Par conséquent, le Test Day programmé ce mercredi a été annulé par les gestionnaires du circuit.

« Nous avons été avisés d’un arrêté pris par le Conseil d’Etat qui suspend le permis d’exploitation du circuit, » nous a confirmé Pierre-Alain Thibaut. « Cette décision a été prise sur base d’un recours introduit par l’ASBL Sourdine le 15 juin 2007. »

Sans surprise, ce sont les nuisances sonores, conséquence des activités du circuit, qui sont la cible principale de cette ASBL. Le Test Day programmé ce mercredi ayant été annulé, de nombreux pilotes se sont d’ores et déjà inquiétés quant à la bonne organisation des meetings encore prévus cette année. Questionné par nos soins, Pierre-Alain Thibaut s’est voulu rassurant :

« Nous avons d’ores et déjà entamé une concertation avec la Région Wallonne mais aussi avec l’avocat de l’ASBL Sourdine. La situation a beaucoup évoluée depuis 2007, date de l’introduction de ce recours. Entre-temps, le circuit a pris des engagements, notamment vis-à-vis d’organisateurs, engagements que nous sommes tenus de respecter sous peine d’astreintes. Dans cette optique, la réunion de concertation programmée ce mercredi sera très importante. » (C. Dubon - Photo : B.Lorquet/www.spa-francorchamps.be)

This is part of my friends ... erm transilation of it!

it's french I've explained it in short
the track is closed until further notice everything is cancelled this week
for everything exploitation license is revoked
it's not only for testing believe me the exploitation license is revoked today and the exploitation license has effect on all activities
and thus is the Test Day of tomorrow cancelled they hope to get it back soon
but if they don't get it back = no activities on Spa
and that means no karting races, no trackdays (today was Aston Martin trackday, One 77 was introduced and it makes more noise as 5 Corvettes together)

that has never happened, anywhere,we have it in Zolder too
but their license never got revoked they needed to compromise
considerations regarding decibels like thursday training, can't go over 95 dB

and it's unlimited at Spa

but the judge has just taken their license away, and without license they can't host races either...
the activists only wanted fewer trackdays... or with a dB restriction
but the judge (council of state) just revoked everything
the f**king ******

The circuit manager is now gonna negotiate with the leader of this "bunch of people", in order to get the license back so that the activities can go on... There's a historic race this weekend, the Racing Festival later on and even the 24h 2CV..

but I really don't think they will have it back that soon... lawcases take ages in Belgium

Edited by Edington Mains, 22 September 2009 - 21:48.

Advertisement

#2 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:30

Link please.

#3 Flexa

Flexa

• 428 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:33

The Belgian photographer friend is the link, bro.

#4 Edington Mains

Edington Mains

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:35

(I take him seriously, being that he is an FIA Accredited photographer, and his father is high up in the Belgian Royal Automobile Club )

Edited by Edington Mains, 22 September 2009 - 21:40.

#5 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:40

What? Does this mean that the Six Hours is off?

#6 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:40

(I take him seriously, being that he is an FIA Accredited photographer, and his father is high up in the Belgian Royal Automobile Club )

If I were you, I'd put that link on the first post.

#7 Edington Mains

Edington Mains

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:47

If I were you, I'd put that link on the first post.

At this rate its in every post... its copy/pasted in the top post...

#8 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:52

I presume so.

#9 wdh

wdh

• 1,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:54

"Belgium." (to quote Douglas Adams)

#10 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 21:58

I've got a mate that's due to leave in the morning to race in the historic race. Haven't been able to get hold of him yet to tell him. I hope he checks his email and SMS messages before he leaves.

#11 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 22:02

Does Flavio have anything to do with this?

#12 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 22:05

That was my first thoughts too..... :lol:

#13 Psymon

Psymon

• 760 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 22:26

I've put the article through Google Translate, in case anyone wants to read it in English

Exclusive: The Circuit de Francorchamps to stop!

Amazement in the little world of motor racing and lovers on the side of the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps. We learned Tuesday that the State Council has with immediate effect suspended the operating license of the circuit of Spa. Therefore, the Test Day scheduled on Wednesday was canceled by the managers of the circuit.

"We have been notified of an order made by the Council of State which shall suspend the operating license of the circuit," we confirmed Pierre-Alain Thibaut. "This decision was taken on the basis of an action brought by the ASBL Mute June 15, 2007. "

Unsurprisingly, it is the noise, the result of activities of the circuit, which are the main target of this non-profit organization. On Test Day scheduled on Wednesday was canceled, many drivers have already expressed concern about the proper organization of meetings planned yet this year. When questioned by us, Pierre-Alain Thibaut has tried reassuring:

"We have already begun a dialogue with the Walloon Region, but also with counsel for the ASBL Mute. Much has evolved since 2007, when the introduction of this appeal. Meanwhile, the circuit has made commitments, particularly vis-à-vis organizers commitments that we are required to comply under penalty of fines. In this context, the consultation meeting scheduled on Wednesday will be very important. "(C. Dubon - Photo: b.lorquet / www.spa-francorchamps.be)

Edited by Psymon, 22 September 2009 - 22:32.

#14 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 22:31

There must be big money involved if it is a non-profit organization :)

#15 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 23:11

I look forward to the day when "Motorsport activists" take organisations like ABSL Mute to court for infringing on competitors "European Human Rights".....

It's about time these "its my way or the highway mob" got a taste of their on medicine!!!

It's the age old floor in the liberal arguement of everyone is entitled to their rights....but there is a major problem with this.. i.e. "one persons 'rights' can take away/infringe on the rights of another.....so who's 'rights' are more important?" and here is where the arguement falls down....as ultimately there always HAS to be comprise otherwise one group will always loseout.

:mad:

As far as I am concerned, anyone who moves within 5 miles of a racing circuit/venue or an airport, "AFTER" a circuit/aiport has been built, they should have ZERO recourse for reducing that venues noise output....Yet again we have actions of the minority overiding the wishes of the majority, i.e. for all the local complaints in number that could be gathered...you could probably get at least a 5-1 ratio back of supporters for the venue.

As far as I am concerned the judicial system in Europe has been taken over by apologists and lunatics that are more concerned with the villain/complainer than the victim/majority. The Scottish court decision to release the Libyan is a classic example... and now this....

It is time my brothers and sisters for the rise of the Motorsport activist....!!!! :lol:

#16 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 23:21

There must be big money involved if it is a non-profit organization :)

:down:

I don't like this kind of cheap shots from people who know zero about the jurisdiction in a certain country or organisations that protest.

LIke it or not, succesfull and rightful claims can be made -OK, certainly not that often- by people or organisations who don't have that much money.

Just like very wealthy people or very wealthy organisations sometimes have to bite the dust.

#17 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 23:25

I didn't say they have much money. But I strongly suspect there are some who are hoping to have them as a result.

#18 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:49

We should all pass the hat around and pay for the re-location of these ASLB Mute people. Anyone else thinking Istanbul, Valencia, Bahrain or China?
Leave our blessed Spa alone- go pick on a Tilke Circuit.

#19 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:20

This is so depressing sometimes...

Near where I live, I can see a situation developing.. They are building some luxury condo tower on what used to be a gas station a couple of years ago.. Well, the other day I was walking by on the sidewalk just there, and some guy in a suit is also there with his silly plastic construction helmet, and he's most likely trying to sell a unit to some old couple.. and he's really going for it: all the superlatives imaginable, the place is ideally situated, near everything but still very quiet, etc, etc.. most of what he said true AFAIK..

Well, this was right in the middle of the afternoon.. the thing is there's a very popular bar that really comes alive at around 10pm, with the beer garden on the roof, right in front of where the guy was pointing which I assume is where this old couple will live when the thing is built.. oh well..

..good luck trying to sleep with the windows open at that place, or, most likely, good luck to this bar owner who will have to fight off the flood of complaints coming his way soon.. :( :drunk:

Advertisement

#20 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:30

Wow funny you mention that. One of my places is going through hell getting noise complaints from two new upstairs tenants- who were stupid enough- or suckered in too quickly by the brokers-not to realize they were moving above a bar. I have zero pity for them, and I'll be damned if I'll change my successful formula, so its summons here, court date there. Luckily I have people. It is Brooklyn. Haha...
Sorry, back on topic.

Edited by gm914, 23 September 2009 - 02:32.

#21 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:46

Leaving for Spa in 10 minutes(4.00am) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:58

Noisegate?

#23 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:38

There is a large new hotel complex going up on the road above La Source - by the roundabout below Francorchamps where the "new" link road up to Haute de la Cote joins. One has to assume that is being built to take advantage of the circuit; there isn't much else around to warrant it. It's a beautiful area - I spend a lot of time there - and has it's tourists, walkers, cyclists etc, but not the kind of place to sustain such a project without the circuit. Interested to see how this pans out...

#24 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:00

Confirmed on autosport.be and in the Walloon newspaper La Libre Belgique:

http://www.autosport...corchampsNietig

Today's test day has been cancelled but no word on the fast upcoming Spa Six Hours though...

#25 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:22

Thanks for the updates, guys. If people could keep the updates coming, I'd be very grateful, as my mate who was supposed to be testing today and driving in the Six Hours - has asked me to keep him updated, as both he and his team boss have been left with no option but to start their eight hour drive to the circuit in the hope that this will be resolved and further information will be forthcoming. I'll be keeping them updated via their blackberries, so any updates of which you become aware would be gratefully received. Unfortunately, the event organizers have not issued any information.

#26 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:30

No problem, I'm due to go there myself, so I'm on top of it. I've e-mailed to the organizers and hope they will answer me later today.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:34

As far as I am concerned, anyone who moves within 5 miles of a racing circuit/venue or an airport, "AFTER" a circuit/aiport has been built, they should have ZERO recourse for reducing that venues noise output....Yet again we have actions of the minority overiding the wishes of the majority, i.e. for all the local complaints in number that could be gathered...you could probably get at least a 5-1 ratio back of supporters for the venue.

I agree 100%, and would probably increase that distance.

It's the major thing that worries me about Silverstones redevelopement plans. They are/were planning to build housing right next to the circuit, and if that goes ahead I see the same issues hitting them.

#28 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:39

well this has made my morning very bad!

I know there's a urgent meeting today with all the involved people ... to be continued.

#29 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:40

No problem, I'm due to go there myself, so I'm on top of it. I've e-mailed to the organizers and hope they will answer me later today.

It depends on what comes out of the meeting...

#30 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:03

Thanks, you're closer to the fire than I am... :)

#31 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:50

I agree 100%, and would probably increase that distance.

It's the major thing that worries me about Silverstones redevelopement plans. They are/were planning to build housing right next to the circuit, and if that goes ahead I see the same issues hitting them.

Not sure about the rules in Belgium, but in the UK this ought to be easy to resolve by sticking a restrictive covenant on the properties when they sell them. It might affect the values very slightly, but it would be prudent to do this.

#32 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:01

Not sure about the rules in Belgium, but in the UK this ought to be easy to resolve by sticking a restrictive covenant on the properties when they sell them. It might affect the values very slightly, but it would be prudent to do this.

It really shouldn't be necessary plus I just don't trust our system to honour that sort of thing anyway.

#33 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:08

"Belgium." (to quote Douglas Adams)

Exactly.

#34 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:12

Brilliant. I thought the UK was the world leader in health, safety and human rights over common sense politics!

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:39

It really shouldn't be necessary plus I just don't trust our system to honour that sort of thing anyway.

But of course this sort of thing is always necessary to ensure that successors in title don't take it upon themselves to get upset, and also because things change over time. Cars get noisier or less noisy, 24hr races versus track days etc etc. These things are always necessary.

#36 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:47

Dammit. Bernie must love this, it gives him an excuse to punt Spa from the calender as he has wanted for a while. :mad:

#37 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:53

But of course this sort of thing is always necessary to ensure that successors in title don't take it upon themselves to get upset, and also because things change over time. Cars get noisier or less noisy, 24hr races versus track days etc etc. These things are always necessary.

It's only necessary due to the stupid nature of our laws. The sensible way would be to recognise that any existing circuit/airport is noisy and can get busier, and if someone moves into the vicinity they do so with the full knowledge of what is there and that they have no future claim.

#38 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:22

Dammit. Bernie must love this, it gives him an excuse to punt Spa from the calender as he has wanted for a while. :mad:

No.. he said : "I want to stay here forever" at Spa-Francorchamps...

http://www.sporza.be...omotor/1.588894

so he's words mean nothing then? :smoking:

Edited by Jedi_F1, 23 September 2009 - 10:23.

#39 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:26

:lol:

Advertisement

#40 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:28

No.. he said : "I want to stay here forever" at Spa-Francorchamps...

http://www.sporza.be...omotor/1.588894

He will say whatever he thinks people want to hear. It was sickening to hear him at Silverstone this year.

#41 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:12

It's only necessary due to the stupid nature of our laws. The sensible way would be to recognise that any existing circuit/airport is noisy and can get busier, and if someone moves into the vicinity they do so with the full knowledge of what is there and that they have no future claim.

Common sense has never had anything to do with British law. Ask Ensign...

#42 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:52

Considering someone has managed to get a Cricket club banned from playing behind his house despite the fact that he moved there a year ago and they've been using it for about 100 years the sensible way is just not our way.

#43 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:53

http://f1.gpupdate.n...o-host-f1-race/

Suspended for 17 years?
Are they f***in' nuts?

:mad: :down: :cry:

#44 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:53

Spa loses right to host F1 race

#45 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:56

What a f***in disgrace that is. It's their own bloody fault for moving there in the first place, they knew the track was there. Pathetic mindless idiots. Clearly the people who chose to live there have very few working braincells, and the same applies to the people who made the decision.

#46 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:58

Great, I go once and love it so much I decide to make it an annual thing and some **** comes along and ruins it.

#47 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:01

Lynch mob, anyone? :mad:

#48 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:05

Glancing at the calendar it'll leave us with a 6 week period of no races if this is true (not that it should be true, because the decision can't have been made by someone who is actually sensible and has a brain)

#49 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:08

I wonder how those people might feel had this happened around the time of the race, and the whole crowd that would have been watching on the Kemmel straight had picked up the news and the location of the people who made the complaint.

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:11

Well mob rule and indignation isn't going to help. Maybe an internet petition will?