Photo

Rossi- "Kimi is not very fast"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
145 replies to this topic

#1 The Truth

The Truth

• 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:51

Record-breaking multiple MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi has suggested that the reason Kimi Raikkonen has been dropped by Ferrari to make way for Fernando Alonso in F1 in 2010 is that the 2007 title-winner 'is not very fast'.

It was finally officially confirmed by the Scuderia earlier this week that Alonso is to jump ship from current employer Renault to Maranello on a three-year contract from next season onwards, alongside Felipe Massa, who is continuing to recover from head and eye injuries sustained in the accident he suffered during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring just over two months ago.

Rossi – who is bidding to add a seventh premier class crown to his extraordinary career CV this year with Yamaha – believes Ferrari have made the right choice.

“I know that in Ferrari they are all very excited about Alonso,” revealed the Italian, himself still linked with an eventual future in scarlet once he hangs up his motorcycling helmet, following a number of tests for the most famous and illustrious team in F1 history in recent years. “I don't know him personally; maybe I will get the chance in the future.

“Ferrari, after [Michael] Schumacher , put everything on Raikkonen, but Kimi had some problems after the first year – he is not very fast. In the last two years, especially before his big accident, Massa was stronger than Raikkonen. Maybe for that reason Ferrari decided to keep Massa – and also to give [him] another chance after his bad luck in Hungary.

“They needed another top driver, and Alonso is a two-time world champion. He beat Michael for the last two years of his career, and I think in Italy all the F1 fans are very excited about Alonso and Ferrari.”

Ever the showman, whilst testing for Ferrari several years ago Rossi challenged Alonso to a duel on both two wheels and four, after the Spaniard had claimed that he could similarly compete within a second of the leading pace in MotoGP – and the 30-year-old Urbino native admitted that he hoped one day the 21-time grand prix-winner would indulge his whim.

“Yes it's true,” remarked the 103-time race-winner. “I wanted to make a bet with Alonso and have a heat with MotoGP, F1 and a rally car – but he said he didn't have time! Maybe in the future it will be possible…”

Ouch..

http://www.crash.net..._very_fast.html

Advertisement

#2 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:56

Ouch..

http://www.crash.net..._very_fast.html

Well, I wouldn't want to take on Rossi on a bike but good luck to him beating Raikkonen at his own game..

Bottom line, it's a ******** comment.. let's see who fills up the a gorilla suit with puke the fastest..

#3 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58

LOL

#4 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58

Apparently Rossi cannot taste salt.

#5 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:00

Why doesn't Rossi challenge Kimi? Events would be MotoGP, F1, Rally and motorcross. Oh wait, I think I know why...

#6 race

race

• 458 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:04

Yep, coming from a driver who is only the second fastest in his own team. He'll probably win the championship because Stoner was ill and Lorenzo crashed too much, but Rossi is no longer the benchmark for speed in MotoGP. Rossi's been complaining about having to team up with Lorenzo for 2010 because he knows he doesn't have the pace to take on Lorenzo next year.

Anyway, Rossi is still in the frame with Ferrari so he has to publicly support any of their decisions. It looks like Montezemolo is asking for support from all over the place to hush away the Santander talks.

#7 Arctic_Banana

Arctic_Banana

• 66 posts

Pretty idiotic :)

Gotta wonder what kind of kicks he gets saying this kind of crap..

#8 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Thanks, Valentino, for telling us Kimi isn't very fast... we would never have found out about that if you hadn't told us! :clap:

On a more serious note, I see at least 2 big problems there:

1) Kimi IS very fast. Perhaps Valentino needs to study the sport a little more to see who is very fast and who is not. My feeling when I saw his comment was immediately that this is a guy talking who doesn't know much about the sport No disrespect meant, but Valentino, try to get a clue.

2) Ferrari clearly DID NOT put everything on Räikkönen. This is not supported only by what I have seen happen - it is also supported by statements given by Ferrari themselves, already early in 2007 - they stated Kimi and Massa will be equal (and Kimi said that's OK).

Me thinks, is there any chance this is an unofficial comment from the Ferrari team? Or is it really just Valentino showing how little he knows? Considering how Eddie Irvine threatened Kimi publicly that he can get fired, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari uses these 'friends' to give unofficial statements whenever they have something to say they cannot really put into their official statements. But I don't know - Valentino just makes himself sound really silly when he says something like that - perhaps he is just genuinely being a little stupid.

#9 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:05

it's a ******** comment

It's a reasonable opinion. Anyone watching the things from outside might be forgiven if they come to the same conclusion. Perhaps the ******* are those who lack the brain capacity to reason: If Kimi was fast and driving upto Ferrari's expectations they wouldn't have to negotiate an annulment of their contract.

#10 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:09

It's a reasonable opinion. Anyone watching the things from outside might be forgiven if they come to the same conclusion. Perhaps the ******* are those who lack the brain capacity to reason: If Kimi was fast and driving upto Ferrari's expectations they wouldn't have to negotiate an annulment of their contract.

Agreed, Prancing Cow fella..

#11 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:11

Me thinks, is there any chance this is an unofficial comment from the Ferrari team? Or is it really just Valentino showing how little he knows? Considering how Eddie Irvine threatened Kimi publicly that he can get fired, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari uses these 'friends' to give unofficial statements whenever they have something to say they cannot really put into their official statements. But I don't know - Valentino just makes himself sound really silly when he says something like that - perhaps he is just genuinely being a little stupid.

Having seen all of Rossi's dirty tricks on racetracks on open display the last seven years, and given his childish way of acting whenever he wins a race (goes Cartoon Network whenever he wins one), I'm not very surprised. I'd like to tell Mr. Rossi that nobody who is "not very fast" can win 18 Grands Prix, one WDC, as well as two runner-ups and one third in Formula 1! Then, if he is much better, why didn't he take the chance to join the team to compete with Kimi prior to the 2007 season? Perhaps because Ferrari assumed that Rossi wasn't "very fast" in their car :lol:

Edited by jeze, 03 October 2009 - 09:11.

#12 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:11

Yep, coming from a driver who is only the second fastest in his own team. He'll probably win the championship because Stoner was ill and Lorenzo crashed too much, but Rossi is no longer the benchmark for speed in MotoGP. Rossi's been complaining about having to team up with Lorenzo for 2010 because he knows he doesn't have the pace to take on Lorenzo next year.

Anyway, Rossi is still in the frame with Ferrari so he has to publicly support any of their decisions. It looks like Montezemolo is asking for support from all over the place to hush away the Santander talks.

It gotta hurt man. But have you actually watched Moto Gp this year? Rare ocasions someone can match Rossi's speed. He is the master.

#13 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:12

It is someone making a comment who actually drove a recent Ferrari F1 car by himself. That kind of a guy is ignorant to the fact that Kimi Räikkönen is very fast? Why did they let him drive the F1 car if he is that ignorant?

#14 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:13

Take away all the electronics in modern Moto GP bikes and we'll see how fast Lorenzo really is and Stoner. Rossi's reign ended with the advancements of electronics which makes bikes so much easier to drive.

And he still beats everybody.

#15 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:15

Well we can say that Ferrari wanted more out of him at least.

#16 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:17

I'll take a certified halfwit's opinions over Rossi's any day.. Great rider he may be, but you always have to wonder what pills The Doctor has been taking :drunk:

#17 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:18

Well we can say that Ferrari wanted more out of him at least.

While giving him less, I'd say. (not speaking about money)

#18 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:19

I think what he meant to say was that Kimi hasn't been very fast at Ferrari, not that he simply isn't fast. Still not true, but not as critical.

He often uses the present tense in English when that's not exactly what he means.

#19 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:20

Valentino, perhaps take a look at this page:

http://en.wikipedia...._driver_records

Look under where it says "Fastest" :wave:

Advertisement

#20 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:22

I love how people say drivers are fast. If you aint got a fast car under ya you aint gonna be fast! :p lol

#21 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

It gotta hurt man. But have you actually watched Moto Gp this year? Rare ocasions someone can match Rossi's speed. He is the master.

Rossi surely is something special.. but is he qualified to say Kimi is slow on 4 wheels? Who else does that make slow? I think we have a problem here..

This is so much rubbish I wish Kimi would take on the challenge.. just let Rossi do his thing on the bike and then absolutely trash him with the rest..

#22 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Valentino, perhaps take a look at this page:

http://en.wikipedia...._driver_records

Look under where it says "Fastest" :wave:

fastest laps?

#23 mountford

mountford

• 430 posts

Posted Image

#24 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:23

Posted Image

The face only a mother could love...

#25 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:24

Posted Image

Looks Pride Parade all the way, remove those ear rings, and people will start listening to you :rotfl:

#26 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:25

Rossi has taken a bit of a beating on here for being a disrespectful loudmouth. I thought Rossi had enough class not to make a unwarranted comment like that about Kimi. Alas as somebody earlier said, Rossi is no longer then benchmark for speed in MOTO-GP and he knows it. To head off the young chargers, he has to delve into every ounce of experience gained. I've never like Rossi and always thought of him as a loudmouth bighead, because he knew he was the best. I thought his Laguna Seca battle with Stoner was way OTT on his behalf and some of his moves were boarderline. But in cyberspace, any anti-Rossi feeling is forbidden. I just hope that others see Rossi for what he really is and this comment is just an example. Rossi at times has no class. :down:

#27 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:26

“Ferrari, after [Michael] Schumacher , put everything on Raikkonen, but Kimi had some problems after the first year – he is not very fast.

Well, that´s exactly what they didn´t do.

When Schumacher was around they did everything to ensure he came out
on top of his teammate. That included everything from having a better car, better
strategy, better technical support, more testing, better reliability, making your teammate running out of gas,
changing his engine when it´s not necessary, telling the teammate to stop pushing, to
finally telling your teammate to move over....

Edited by Fortymark, 03 October 2009 - 09:27.

#28 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:29

on top of his teammate. That included everything from having a better car, better
strategy, better technical support, more testing, better reliability, making your teammate running out of gas,
changing his engine when it´s not necessary, telling the teammate to stop pushing, to

Dont forget having teammate still on hoists when parade lap starts haha rubeno france ah 2002 or smthin? :rotfl:

#29 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:30

Perhaps you haven't considered the fact that Schumacher was a few tenths faster here and there?

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,001 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:32

The face only a mother could love...

And a short-sighted mother at that.

#31 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:33

And a short-sighted mother at that.

Haha indeed..

#32 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:33

I wish more F1 drivers spoke their minds as plainly as Rossi does.

#33 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:34

Yeah, just like Piquet :rotfl:

#34 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:35

Hmm when I see the drivers do interviews post qual and race I see a team member near them with a recording device! :lol: so they really cant right?

#35 Pegaso

Pegaso

• 512 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:35

Rossi has taken a bit of a beating on here for being a disrespectful loudmouth. I thought Rossi had enough class not to make a unwarranted comment like that about Kimi. Alas as somebody earlier said, Rossi is no longer then benchmark for speed in MOTO-GP and he knows it. To head off the young chargers, he has to delve into every ounce of experience gained. I've never like Rossi and always thought of him as a loudmouth bighead, because he knew he was the best. I thought his Laguna Seca battle with Stoner was way OTT on his behalf and some of his moves were boarderline. But in cyberspace, any anti-Rossi feeling is forbidden. I just hope that others see Rossi for what he really is and this comment is just an example. Rossi at times has no class. :down:

Yeah, looks like some people have just discovered the real Rossi with that interview, when he has always been like this. :lol:

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:41

Button, Barrichello, Vettel, Massa and co. are talking alot.. doesn't mean we're suddenly more clever. It's all blabla BS..

The sad thing about it is that you don't really want to hear the current F1 drivers speak their minds, they are quite shallow... almost like Rossi, almost.

#37 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:44

Yeah, looks like some people have just discovered the real Rossi with that interview, when he has always been like this. :lol:

The most amusing thing is that he talks the most about safety in MotoGP, when he enjoys endangering other riders, like Jerez 2005 and Laguna 2008 :down: , and between his talks about safety issues, he makes a statement about a World Champion in another sport "being a bit slow"! I'm quite sure Kimi would beat him at Rallying too, making it 2-1 in his favour, should he take up Alonso's challenge :lol:

#38 speedy

speedy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:45

And I always thought Rossi is above such bs - as much as I like him as a moto GP rider.... :down:
I think Vale is not very intelligent.

Edited by speedy, 03 October 2009 - 09:49.

#39 Julli

Julli

• 686 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:47

Even as a Kimi supporter, I think anybody critizing KR for seasons 2008-2009 (pre-hungary) has a point. KR should have beated FM regardles, but he did not. So the critics have a point. Rossi also has a point which cant be disputed, someone else was faster in the similar car. Also KR was paid twice the money Massa was paid, but could not beat him. It's a whole different question if "not very fast" term is a accurate description, but he is entitled to his opinion.

Advertisement

#40 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:48

Rossi:
Kimi was fast enough to be a Ferrari race driver, YOU are NOT! and (I hope) never will be. NOW THAT'S A FACT. JUST STFU!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by zarooch, 03 October 2009 - 09:49.

#41 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:50

Who cares? Ain't the worst thing ever said about Kimi and won't be the last either.

#42 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:51

Complete bollocks, post that on the two wheel thread and wait while people line up to give you a new extra wide body hole ;)

Regards
Andy

#43 Ural

Ural

• 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:52

Valentino Rossi is truly a great motorcycle racer. I sure he will be a good friend with Teflonso: very fast means in Valentino's vocabulary dirty and aggressive driving (lines) and special tricks. But still I like him :up: !

#44 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:54

Rossi:
Kimi was fast enough to be a Ferrari race driver, YOU are NOT! and (I hope) never will be. NOW THAT'S A FACT. JUST STFU!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

^ Kimi fan haha wow now Kiimi wont be in the Ferrari I shall cease to be his fan from 2010! :eek: :lol:

#45 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:55

I would say Kimi's problem in 2008 was not his speed, it was something else. Not being able to get heat quickly-enough into his tyres was a big problem - and hey, he wasn't alone there - it was supposed to be a team, not a single individual, working on the car. Pretty much every time when he had the problem with the tyres, in the race it took a couple of laps every stint and then he was flying again, being at least as fast as Massa and often faster. I don't see a problem with speed there.

Of course, someone who didn't really watch the races with attention to any sort of detail won't know anything about that.

#46 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:57

^ Kimi fan haha wow now Kiimi wont be in the Ferrari I shall cease to be his fan from 2010! :eek: :lol:

well, true Kimi fans will continue to be his fans regardless of him leaving ferrari. Besides i was never a fan of Ferrari. So it doesn't matters to be where he goes.

#47 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:58

I would say Kimi's problem in 2008 was not his speed, it was something else. Not being able to get heat quickly-enough into his tyres was a big problem - and hey, he wasn't alone there - it was supposed to be a team, not a single individual, working on the car. Pretty much every time when he had the problem with the tyres, in the race it took a couple of laps every stint and then he was flying again, being at least as fast as Massa and often faster. I don't see a problem with speed there.

You know, you could fit Prost into that mould. He was never good at getting heat into his tyres in qualifying (this is also one of the reasons why he seemed to struggle in wet conditions) but he never wore them out, hence why he has so many fastest laps.

Edited by craftverk, 03 October 2009 - 09:59.

#48 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

I think there is a translation issue here so I will do it for you.

Rossi is saying that compared to Schumacher Kimi wasn't as dominant and for the money they were paying he didn't deliver the goods. Fair point. That's what he means, sorry if it spoils you getting all het up about things on your keyboard taking things literally.

By the way, Colin McRae would be far better to give Rossi a dusting in F1, MotoGP and rallying as he was pretty handy on a bike as well.

Regards
Andy

#49 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Perhaps you haven't considered the fact that Schumacher was a few tenths faster here and there?

Perhaps he was a few tenths faster due to the things I stated?

#50 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:59

But hey, Kimi just recently said he knows what he can do in the car and that's what matters to him. I guess he isn't too bothered by what Valentino said...

Edited by Anssi, 03 October 2009 - 09:59.