Photo

I stood on a MIG today!

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 14:23

Well theres a 14 cylinder radial diesel engine to discuss to make it technical but otherwise for all you plane and military enthusiasts ....

I stood on a MIG today!...

Posted Image

A local park has a military theme and some awesome things to see and just 5 minutes from my house! Today had some rain and the light was bad but I got some shots anyway.
You will have to go to ...
http://s784.photobuc...relexomilitary/
to see them all, over 100 shots of MIGs, tanks, big guns and more..

3 of the 5 MIGs lined up..

Posted Image

Random MIG shot, although all engines have been removed, the planes still have their guns installed!

Posted Image

Plenty of Tanks to walk all over..

Posted Image

Many big Guns around the park..

Posted Image

Of interest to some may be the shots of a 14 cylinder diesel radial engine.

Posted Image

and what do you do if you have a military park in the middle of China and you can't park a Aircraft Carrier there? - you build a dummy from concrete!

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 14:46

The MIG with the high tail reminds of the F86 Sabre, one of my all-time favourite fighter plan designs - not for any technical reason, but the style.

That's a nice playground, but can you breathe the air. It looked a bit like Sherlock Holmes' London in the last pic.

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 14:46

I think Empress Cixi had that idea first. Albeit not an aircraft carrier. :D

#4 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 15:12

The MIG with the high tail reminds of the F86 Sabre, one of my all-time favourite fighter plan designs - not for any technical reason, but the style.

That's a nice playground, but can you breathe the air. It looked a bit like Sherlock Holmes' London in the last pic.

Theres more pictures on that/this link http://s784.photobuc...relexomilitary/

Although it was a rainy day it's unfortunate that the area is almost always bleek and grey, it's a plain surrounded by mountains for 360 degrees that the cloud just doesn't escape from.

Note the double injectors on the radial.

#5 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 16:07

Are you sure they all are MiG-s?
This one seems to be a Su
http://s784.photobuc...rent=MIG128.jpg
But may be a Chinese version of MiG-19

Phantom II may be interested :)

Edited by Dragonfly, 11 October 2009 - 16:13.

#6 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 16:34

Are you sure they all are MiG-s?
This one seems to be a Su
http://s784.photobuc...rent=MIG128.jpg
But may be a Chinese version of MiG-19

Phantom II may be interested :)

Posted Image

Wouldn't have a clue! They got wings and go fast - there thats my knowledge on the subject!

PH11 would enjoy this, he is supposed to be over here now so I'm thinking the Chinese set him up and have grabbed him for past transgressions!! :lol:

I will be in Beijing next week, wonder if I can contact him prior - anyone got an alternate email for him?

Found it, MIG 19..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiG-19

Posted Image

Edited by cheapracer, 11 October 2009 - 16:47.

#7 Bill S

Bill S

• 146 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 22:52

Very nice - See if you can get me a MIG-25.
Can't turn for **** but they're pretty fast.

#8 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 23:53

Found it, MIG 19..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiG-19

Posted Image

Funny enough that MiG-19 seems to have Bulgarian Air Force insignia :)

BTW, do you know that the first ever usage of an airplane as an offensive weapon was done by two Bulgarian aviators in 1912?
http://en.wikipedia....arian_Air_Force

#9 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 00:46

Your 14 cylinder diesel appears to have spark plug leads.

#10 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:53

Your 14 cylinder diesel appears to have spark plug leads.

Yeah, 2 for each cylinder that turn into steel pipes and go to an injector pump in the lower right here ;)

Posted Image

Sorry for the lack of quality but you can't imagine how dark it was though.

#11 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:01

Very nice - See if you can get me a MIG-25.
Can't turn for **** but they're pretty fast.

Pretty easy I figure, except for the typical nochalant (and quite likely drunk) gate guard theres no security otherwise and I'm surprised all the machine guns are still intact!

Hmm, I reckon I could start a spare parts operation for Western owners of MIGs!

Come over and have a look Bill, got a spare room (we have PH11 there but theres plenty of room :lol: )

#12 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:50

Theres some great pictures of warbirds here...

http://war.news.163....Q0001/6714.html

WARNING

A little warning as this site is in Chinese you may get a shock, the 3rd from the lower left link (the black and white) is WW2 pictures of a bombing on Tokyo's aftermath, theres some very gruesome pictures of dead people there which some may find disturbing.

Check out the colour photo links only.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:39

The aircraft carrier is awesomely amusing.

#14 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:07

The aircraft carrier is awesomely amusing.

Indeed. Reminds me of the concrete ship on "The Prisoner." Nothing says totalitarian regime like an enormous vessel permanently fixed in place.

The radial engine is interesting... obviously came out of a tank or other armored vehicle. Soviet origin, I presume.

#15 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,343 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 15:58

Indeed. Reminds me of the concrete ship on "The Prisoner." Nothing says totalitarian regime like an enormous vessel permanently fixed in place.

Don't bag on totalitarianism, it's the new capitalist's fellow traveler. Combine the perfect millimetric control of a command economy, the steady consistency only possible without the worrying vagaries of election cycles and regime (and thus policy) changes with a total lack of independent organized unions and you have well-nigh the perfect business environment.

#16 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:47

Nothing says totalitarian regime like an enormous vessel permanently fixed in place.

Knowing the system here a bit better now I would say it was privately built in a very Capilistic manner  ;)

Theres another famous nightclub similar in the style of a Monaco yacht in the middle of the City, I'll get a snap of it.

#17 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 17:31

the steady consistency only possible without the worrying vagaries of election cycles and regime (and thus policy) changes

As if our elections effect policy. How high minded, Desmo!

#18 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:58

Don't bag on totalitarianism, it's the new capitalist's fellow traveler. Combine the perfect millimetric control of a command economy, the steady consistency only possible without the worrying vagaries of election cycles and regime (and thus policy) changes with a total lack of independent organized unions and you have well-nigh the perfect business environment.

Yes its amazing how you can get things done without obstacles like human rights, workplace health and safety, freedom of speech etc etc

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:39

Yawwwwwwwwwn.

Advertisement

#20 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:31

Yeah, 2 for each cylinder that turn into steel pipes and go to an injector pump in the lower right here ;)

Posted Image

Sorry for the lack of quality but you can't imagine how dark it was though.

It's much easier for yourself to decide, because you get a good look. I suspect this is a Shvetsov AsH-82VG from a Mil Mi 4 helicopter. This was a fan cooled engine and explains the strange output flange on the front of the crankshaft. I had actually wondered if it was from a tank. The engine was a 14 cylinder radial with direct fuel injection, expaining the distrubtion pump on the back.

Mi4 were supplied to China by the Soviet Union and also licence(?) built by the Chinese. I have put the ? mark in because I am not sure they got a licience to build the Mig 19 you are standing on.

#21 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 22:00

A CI engine powered helicopter? :stoned:

#22 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,402 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:44

No its a normal 4 stroke petrol with direct fuel injection. In 1951/52 when it was designed only one aircraft had been successful fitted with diesel engines.

Really?

Several German planes of the '30s and '40s ran Junkers Diesels, including the Junkers Ju 86 and the Blohm & Voss Bv 138.

Junkers Diesels were even made under licence by Napier, which led to the post war Deltic.

Or did you mean helicopters?

#23 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:25

. I suspect this is a Shvetsov AsH-82VG from a Mil Mi 4 helicopter. .

Yeah I could believe that because I saw inside the engine bay of that Mil and it would drive a shaft up to the rotors at about 45 degrees from the front nose area where the engine lay. At the moment that Mil in the pictures has an electric motor to drive the rotors for disply. You can see the driveshaft comes past the pilot in the cabin, wonderful.

Posted Image

Yes its amazing how you can get things done without obstacles like human rights, workplace health and safety, freedom of speech etc etc

As China has all those in place you must be speaking about another country. May I remind you that this is 2009.

#24 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:06

Really?

Several German planes of the '30s and '40s ran Junkers Diesels, including the Junkers Ju 86 and the Blohm & Voss Bv 138.

Junkers Diesels were even made under licence by Napier, which led to the post war Deltic.

Or did you mean helicopters?

During the WW II in the USSR they also developed and experimented with Diesel engines for aircrafts. IIRC the name of the designer was Cheremin. (Черёмин)

BTW, AFAIK the V12 Diesel for the T-34 tank (seen on the pictures) and the T-54/55 was licensed from the USA where it was not deemed as perspective. Not sure but I think the suspension concept with torsion bars and large rollers was also an American patent.

Edited by Dragonfly, 14 October 2009 - 10:12.

#25 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:05

As China has all those in place you must be speaking about another country. May I remind you that this is 2009.

Um, try wearing a Tianneman square T shirt with a picture of a tank on it. Or Free Tibet. or whoever they are that sound like Star Wars or falun gong . Not that I actually give a monkeys, people get the government they can put up with.

#26 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 14:23

During the WW II in the USSR they also developed and experimented with Diesel engines for aircrafts. IIRC the name of the designer was Cheremin. (Черёмин)

BTW, AFAIK the V12 Diesel for the T-34 tank (seen on the pictures) and the T-54/55 was licensed from the USA where it was not deemed as perspective. Not sure but I think the suspension concept with torsion bars and large rollers was also an American patent.

The suspension is Christie design, who was unfortunately for him a prophet in his own country. Thus the USSR put it to work and not the USA.

#27 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 16:08

Um, try wearing a Tianneman square T shirt with a picture of a tank on it. Or Free Tibet. or whoever they are that sound like Star Wars or falun gong . Not that I actually give a monkeys, people get the government they can put up with.

Did you hear that they found a bunch of 'Free Tibet' shirts being made in China? No one knew what the hell they said, it was just another order. Apparently, the government found out and was not amused.

Edited by Fat Boy, 14 October 2009 - 16:08.

#28 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 16:14

The suspension is Christie design, who was unfortunately for him a prophet in his own country. Thus the USSR put it to work and not the USA.

Thanks for all the info. You seem to be a big fan of Soviet junk. Saw this a few weeks ago at a Concours in Canton, Ohio. The doors are gullwing and the cockpit is aircraft with a steering yoke like a Cessna. I walked out of the building and there it was. I almost fell down. I had seen photos but they don't do it justice at all. I think this is the greatest machine in the entire history of the world.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 16:52

I wonder isn't this a vehicle based on the lifting force obtained at speed and at small distances between the vehicle body and smooth surface (water). I don't know the exact term in English for the effect. I remember quite a lot of articles in Soviet aviation magazines in the 70-ties about such vehicles. In Russian it was called "ekranolet", and the Russian term for the principle translates roughly to 'screen (or shield) effect'. Which means the vehicle can lift and travel low above the surface but cannot climb higher.

#30 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 17:23

Thanks for all the info. You seem to be a big fan of Soviet junk. Saw this a few weeks ago at a Concours in Canton, Ohio. The doors are gullwing and the cockpit is aircraft with a steering yoke like a Cessna. I walked out of the building and there it was. I almost fell down. I had seen photos but they don't do it justice at all. I think this is the greatest machine in the entire history of the world.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yes, I remember it well........it was sold at Barrett-Jackson/Scottsdale in 2007!

1978 Tupolev N007 Gullwing Boat

John

#31 dosco

dosco

• 1,623 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 20:27

I wonder isn't this a vehicle based on the lifting force obtained at speed and at small distances between the vehicle body and smooth surface (water). I don't know the exact term in English for the effect. I remember quite a lot of articles in Soviet aviation magazines in the 70-ties about such vehicles. In Russian it was called "ekranolet", and the Russian term for the principle translates roughly to 'screen (or shield) effect'. Which means the vehicle can lift and travel low above the surface but cannot climb higher.

You are referring to a ground-effect vehicle. The picture posted doesn't look like one, geometry isn't right.

#32 dosco

dosco

• 1,623 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 20:27

I think this is the greatest machine in the entire history of the world.

Did Franklin invent that thing? Ack!!

#33 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 20:48

Did Franklin invent that thing? Ack!!

You have no taste. Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Emilio Largo would kill to get their hands on one of these. Shopping list: Shark tank, check. Tupolev airboat, check. Jumpsuited henchmen, check. Submarine base hidden in volcano, check.

#34 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 00:15

You are referring to a ground-effect vehicle. The picture posted doesn't look like one, geometry isn't right.

Ah, thanks. That 'ground effect' term was escaping my mind.
It was quite a time ago and what I remember is a 'lifting body' type of construction with small wings. Now I wonder how this vehicle achieves its amphibian performance.

#35 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 00:43

You have no taste. Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Emilio Largo would kill to get their hands on one of these. Shopping list: Shark tank, check. Tupolev airboat, check. Jumpsuited henchmen, check. Submarine base hidden in volcano, check.

+1

It has that nuts-and-bolts / mechanical linkage appeal.

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:05

Now I wonder how this vehicle achieves its amphibian performance.

With a dual axle trailer methinks.

That's a cool boat, $190k is alot though..

#37 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:34

Now I wonder how this vehicle achieves its amphibian performance.

I don't have any special information but it appears to me that the Tupolev is more or less a conventional airboat. (Just a whole bunch cooler.) A flat bottom skiff sort of hull, with a minimal step at the front to allow it some efficiency across open water, and a smooth, flat bottom with very little draft allowing it to negotiate extremely shallow water, marsh grass, ice, tundra, etc. Air ruddering, no wet rudder or keel. Works like a flat-bottom boat on water, works like a sled on more solid surfaces. No actual ground effect or hovercraft properties.

Airboats are fairly common in parts of North America... hunters, fishermen, social services in remote areas... for example, in Northern Canada for traversing between closely-spaced bodies of water, across frozen lakes etc, or in swamp country like the Florida Everglades, Louisiana, Mississippi. Some have cabins, especially up north, but nothing as eleborate or as Buck Rogers-ish as this. Our airboats typically have caged propellers for safety, and the enclosed cabin versions look more like small houseboats. This thing is more like a corny spaceship. I love it.

#38 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:42

http://en.wikipedia....n_Ground_Effect

#39 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:56

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Advertisement

#40 crashgate

crashgate

• 380 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:37

Where is Phantom II ?

His insights were always interesting

#41 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:17

Where is Phantom II ?

Do you work for "straight lines'R'Us"?

#42 crashgate

crashgate

• 380 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:10

Do you work for "straight lines'R'Us"?

wat?

#43 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:26

Never mind

here's a cutaway, the thing is a high speed boat, no cushion of air or tunnel or wing. So far as I can tell.

http://www.russianbo.../blueprints.htm

#44 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 13:00

NeilR
Thanks for the link. It never crossed my mind such videos exist on the net.

Never mind

here's a cutaway, the thing is a high speed boat, no cushion of air or tunnel or wing. So far as I can tell.

http://www.russianbo.../blueprints.htm

The Russian name translates directly as "ski boat"

Edited by Dragonfly, 15 October 2009 - 13:01.

#45 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 15:36

The Russian name translates directly as "ski boat"

It's obviously not a mini-ekranoplan, but it's certainly cool...

#46 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 15:41

Never mind

Agreed. Conventional airboat, just awesomer.

#47 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 15:47

Where is Phantom II ?

His posts are often very interesting, but I'm not sure they qualify as insights. I thought his theory that Obama is really a Romulan mole sent to earth to harvest humans as food was a bit shaky.

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 17:36

However he had phenomenal photoshop skills.

#49 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,343 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 19:13

Maybe I should unsubscribe him from the Falun Gong mailing list.

Naaaaaw.

#50 crashgate

crashgate

• 380 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 21:36

His posts are often very interesting, but I'm not sure they qualify as insights. I thought his theory that Obama is really a Romulan mole sent to earth to harvest humans as food was a bit shaky.

PH II, was incredible forumer, he reminded me of Maurice Minifield. I miss him.