• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:07

Renault to run classic livery?
GPWeek 67 (Page 10)

"IT has been suggested that the Renault F1 team may revert to running a classic yellow and black livery for the final two races of the 2009 season, after the team’s title sponsor ING pulled out of its deal with the team in the aftermath of the “crashgate” scandal."

"The Renault F1 Team arrived in Japan with boxes full of new, simple team shirts minus the ING logos, and a large number of the team’s RDD style dark grey jackets, with yellow-embroidered “Renault” logos and black accents.

The team’s press releases have also switched from the yellow, blue and orange of the ING fudge to simple yellow and black. A large box of Renault’s 30th F1 anniversary black and yellow caps were also flown to Japan, creating talk that the team may be about to take influence for its livery from a marketing scheme it used to publicise that very anniversary."

http://www.gpweek.com/PDF/GP067.pdf

Would definitely make sense. The yellow and black 30th anniversary livery was beautiful. Hope they'll do it! :up:

Advertisement

#2 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:10

I always hoped they would revert to this once the news broke that ING was leaving. The anniversary livery was stunning!

#3 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:10

Photos of 30th anniversary livery can be found here:

http://www.auto123.c...tos?artid=85572

#4 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:27

The black and yellow looks rad, I think that's the style they will use on the r30 next year.

#5 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:30

lOOKS GREAT, BUT i WOULD LIKE ACTUALLY TO MAKE IT MUCH MORE SIMPLER, LIKE ONE BLACK LONG STIPE OF THE SAME WIDTH FROM THE NOSE TO THE WING...

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Fernando and other members of the Renault team were wearing some of the new 'retro' attire at the Japanese Grand Prix. The new 'RF1 Team' caps are actually pretty cool in my opinion.

#7 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

The black and yellow looks rad, I think that's the style they will use on the r30 next year.

And their Total sponsorship?

#8 ArDeeEmm

ArDeeEmm

• 91 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:34

Looks great!

Hope they do it.

#9 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:37

Fernando and other members of the Renault team were wearing some of the new 'retro' attire at the Japanese Grand Prix. The new 'RF1 Team' caps are actually pretty cool in my opinion.

Pics?

#10 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:38

lOOKS GREAT, BUT i WOULD LIKE ACTUALLY TO MAKE IT MUCH MORE SIMPLER, LIKE ONE BLACK LONG STIPE OF THE SAME WIDTH FROM THE NOSE TO THE WING...

A little less black would make the anniversary livery even better but it's hard to go wrong with the classic colour scheme.

#11 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:41

Pics?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Ringo, 12 October 2009 - 09:45.

#12 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:42

It's a really alluring livery, for sure. I really hope that they go with it!

#13 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:42

Pics?

Already available to buy from the Renault Store online

#14 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:45

I guess Renault just has to get rid of Total in the name of the common good. ;)

#15 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:45

A little less black would make the anniversary livery even better but it's hard to go wrong with the classic colour scheme.

Exactly, little less black will make the livery more classic.

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:52

Love it! :up:

If they do run this livery perhaps we should send a thank-you card and a box of chocolates to NPjnr... :lol:

Edited by krapmeister, 12 October 2009 - 10:17.

#17 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:13

Exactly, little less black will make the livery more classic.

I want more black! This car looked awesome IMO: http://www.f1-facts.com/gallery/d/2389. One of my favs all-time despite being slow and disappointing at the time.

The retro all-black cap is cool. :up:

#18 I_hate_chicanes

I_hate_chicanes

• 101 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:29

Looks a lot like the Benson and Hedges yellow livery that Jordan ran a few years back

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:36

It's not going to happen. If there was half a dozen races left in the season and they were all European, then maybe. But the point is that we're halfway through an away leg, and the cars went directly to Brazil from Japan and they'll then go on to Abu Dhabi. In order to re-paint them, the cars would have to be shipped back to England and re-done, which I'm told can take up to a week. And tht's just for a bare chassis; I've never heard of a team doing a re-spray midseason before. The paint would obviously have to be removed and reapplied; the only circumstances under which Renault might repaint their cars would be if both chassis were written off. There's simply no point in repainting the cars simply for two races when the livery they currently have does the same job and costs nothing. Sentimentality might be nice, but it's damn expensive

And the 30th Anniversary Edition livery is as ugly as the current one.

Advertisement

#20 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:39

I like this look, like you guys too :up:
But I would rather more black (like paranoik0) than more yellow, a whole black car with yellow strimes here and there, that would be look amazing.
I liked the look of the williams pre-seasons when they where black, in-season, when they are blue, it isn't so good anymore.

edit:
Honda changed for one-two races their outfit as I remember.

And the 30th Anniversary Edition livery is as ugly as the current one.

No it's not!

Edited by alecc, 12 October 2009 - 10:41.

#21 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:43

Photos of 30th anniversary livery can be found here:

http://www.auto123.c...tos?artid=85572

stunning!

#22 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:48

Posted Image

That 1 looks like brakemarks of a car that just hit the wall straight on.

#23 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:49

CaptainTightpants is right, they'd have to send new chassis out from the UK and all new parts with fresh paint.

Don't think it'll happen.

#24 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:53

No it's not!

It is. The balance of black and yellow is all wrong, and those thin little bars are as ugly as the chevrons Spyker had on that concept livery awhile go.

But like I said, it won't happen. Honda might have changed their Lucky Strike livery to 555 because 555 was more popular in China, but they didn't change that much of it. In fact, I'd say most of what they did change was decals; the actual paint applied is only a basic template and decales are placed over the point where it meets another colour to give it a better join and make it look smoother. But what Renault would have to do is totally re-spray their cars from th ground up, and it's just not worth it when their current livery does the xeact same thing.

#25 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:56

That 1 looks like brakemarks of a car that just hit the wall straight on.

More like the brakemark of a car crashing on purpose on corner 17 :rotfl:

#26 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:03

Those have been sold there all season long.

I bought shirt from there before season :)

#27 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:04

It's not going to happen. If there was half a dozen races left in the season and they were all European, then maybe. But the point is that we're halfway through an away leg, and the cars went directly to Brazil from Japan and they'll then go on to Abu Dhabi. In order to re-paint them, the cars would have to be shipped back to England and re-done, which I'm told can take up to a week. And tht's just for a bare chassis; I've never heard of a team doing a re-spray midseason before. The paint would obviously have to be removed and reapplied; the only circumstances under which Renault might repaint their cars would be if both chassis were written off. There's simply no point in repainting the cars simply for two races when the livery they currently have does the same job and costs nothing. Sentimentality might be nice, but it's damn expensive

You could be right but it would make a nice positive impact if they'd do that.

#28 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:11

Why is the ING logo still there? :confused: noob webdesigners :p

#29 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:11

It is. The balance of black and yellow is all wrong, and those thin little bars are as ugly as the chevrons Spyker had on that concept livery awhile go.

No it's not! :wave:
I liked the Spyker livery too, so... de gustibus non est disputandum

#30 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:15

Well yellow, WHITE and black os entirely other than just yellow and black. I do think that with WHITE the livery make the car looks a lot more authentic. But I must say I kinda like the one with no white, it looks more like a today's car.

Anyways I hope there s a good sticker guys who did this already, or a great paint shop in Tokyo which could carry out the business nice and swiftly...

Edited by One, 12 October 2009 - 11:16.

#31 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:19

I'd love them to run this...

Posted Image

:love:

#32 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:27

What about replacing blue with Black?

#33 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:31

Nah - the blue is magic :up:

Won't happen tho. :(

#34 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:46

You could be right but it would make a nice positive impact if they'd do that.

If it were me, I'd wait until 2010. Make the impact all at once: get new sponsors, new drivers and new people on-board and arrive at Bahrain totally re-vitalised. Running a new livery might be nice, but it serves absolutely no purpose, and Renault have bigger things to worry about.

Well yellow, WHITE and black os entirely other than just yellow and black. I do think that with WHITE the livery make the car looks a lot more authentic. But I must say I kinda like the one with no white, it looks more like a today's car.

The only problem with yellow, black and white is that Brawn have a monopoly on it.

#35 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:04

The only problem with yellow, black and white is that Brawn have a monopoly on it.

Not really - all depends. Perhaps Brawn have a monopoly on a white car with a little bit of black and dayglo yellow, but if Renault bring out a yellow car with black and a bit of white then it will look quite a bit different.

I don't think you would mistake the Renault livery for the Brawn one.

#36 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:08

Stuff the white, the Brawn looks like someone forgot to paint it.

The Renault needs just black and yellow, like a hornet, tiger or a wasp. All cool things for a car to look like.

#37 imthebest

imthebest

• 106 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:14

This is a done deal. They dont want ING to recieve more promotion after backing out. The orange, at least, is out for Brazil.

#38 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:24

This is a done deal. They dont want ING to recieve more promotion after backing out. The orange, at least, is out for Brazil.

ING aren't receiving any more promotion. They might be ING colours, but there is no ING branding. I'll say it again: it's too expensive, too time-consuming and serves too little purpose to re-spray a car when the current livery already does everything te new livery would do and there are only two away races left in the season.

#39 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:01

I see,... The more I read the post the more I get convinced that Renault need to do this, especially to change the image of the company after this scandal...

Advertisement

#40 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 14:47

The more I read the post the more I get convinced that Renault need to do this, especially to change the image of the company after this scandal...

Exactly. A neat way to wash off the sins and declare that the team has turned a new leaf.

#41 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 15:02

Yup. Veru powerful black and yellow livery should do the job. In the black stripe big white Renault letters.

I wonder what their plan is for the coming year concerning the title sponsor. Bank is in, so some French banks in frame? (or exactly no as reflecting french 'social' states...?)

#42 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 15:26

Posted Image

Let's hope so.

Edited by andrew., 12 October 2009 - 15:27.

#43 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 754 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 15:44

That post has sense, however there's a question I have to ask: didn't DC race in a white Red Bull last year in Brasil?

#44 DePortago

DePortago

• 189 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:09

The best renault livery was the blue and yellow one (Mild Seven years...)

#45 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:12

Posted Image

Beautiful.

#46 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:26

What about this?

Posted Image

#47 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:33

What about this?

Posted Image

Unfortunately you'd have to add some red for the Total sponsorship.

#48 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:37

Red looks awesome on black! Or they could pursuade Total to let them change the colour like they did when Total were called Elf. McLaren and Williams force their fuel supplier/sponsors to join the colour scheme so why shouldn't Renault?

#49 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 16:48

What about this?

Posted Image

Okay, that just convinced me that the car shape makes it butt-ugly regardless of what colors is in. :|

#50 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,610 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 17:21

Unfortunately you'd have to add some red for the Total sponsorship.

That's not a big deal. Way back when race numbers were legible, the #15 Renaults had huge swathes of red on them.  ;)