bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:39

No more James Allen? Sign me up!!

#3 Montoya1

Montoya1

• 571 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:39

Apart from the fact this will prob mean no more Brundle, this is awesome news.

#4 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:43

I'm sure Brundle will be there, but Goodman most probably not.

#5 backwards

backwards

• 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:56

Originally posted by bystander31
No more James Allen? Sign me up!!

who are we going to laugh at now though?

#6 nigel red5

nigel red5

• 9,468 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:04

Oh pinch me!!

Crofty, Hamilton, and Samos for comms. It has to happen.

#7 dianno

dianno

• 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:11

Encouraging news ! :up:

Will the BBC bring back "The Chain?"

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#8 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:15

posted by Montoya1:
Apart from the fact this will prob mean no more Brundle, this is awesome news.

MB will be there, with DC in support - perfect. No more advert breaks - can’t wait.

#9 Slick

Slick
  • Administrator

• 3,340 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:18

F1 Coverage back on the BBC and Slicks returning....what did I do to get everything I asked for. :clap: :clap:

#10 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:26

Interesting sentence

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about ..."

Wonder if it was a pure money motive or whether there was some other reason? I'd like to know the comparison in amount to be paid, it would be very interesting if it was less ;)

Great news though :clap: No more ad breaks and no Steve Ryder ..woohoo.

Regards

Andy

#11 Burai

Burai

• 1,894 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:30

Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

#12 Slick

Slick
  • Administrator

• 3,340 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:31

There would be no way BBC had offered more money than ITV are paying, they just can't afford it or justify it to the licence payers.

#13 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:31

First thing to strike me the motivation might just be to get rid of Brundle ? "If thine eye often thee pluck it it out." :down: If it was it was a very bad move --- to some it might even be construed as witchhunt ? :confused: :down: :down:

If the BBC has any sense it will offer contracts to at least some of the team.

:up:

My main fear is the BBC will follow it usual form and reschedule the broadcast at short notice, British Grand Prix will be broadacast at 3 am because it clashed with the Scottish Tiddly Winks semi-final.

:down:

#14 CSinUK

CSinUK

• 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:33

No adverts, no James Allan, and hopefully the Chain will be back.......

Sadly I think Murray is a little too old now :cry:

#15 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:35

Originally posted by Ceejay

MB will be there, with DC in support - perfect. No more advert breaks - can’t wait.

"Ya think DiNozo ?!"

It would be the dream team but I think not.

#16 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:35

Wow, I'm amazed that ITV let this one go although it looks like Bernie had his own ideas.

I had no idea that this was the last year of the current contract, you'd have thought that there would have been more talk about it.

I fancy that the BBC Radio guy, Simon whatsisface, who is also owner of Haymarket Publishing might come to the mike. He has done highlights before.

Although he is more of a no.1 rather than a no.2. What is Brundle now? A no. 1 or a no. 2? I think those 2 would work well because Simon is the "high octane" type.

#17 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:36

Maybe we may get some form of Bernievision type coverage too, with different interactive/multiscreen feeds?

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:36

Christ some of you are dim. Brundle isn't tied for life to ITV. If anything he's tied to the F1 broadcast. No ITV-F1, no Brundle contract. The BBC can pick up him and the rest of them if they wished. People like Steve Rider move from network to network constantly, though he's probably locked into ITV at large instead of just the F1 deal.

As for Goodman or Samos, why do we need either? I don't need some dim pit popsie asking dim questions. If we need a woman in the pits hire bira or that French lady who went after Hamilton at Brazil last year. At the moment the best pit reporter of any series is Randy Mamola in MotoGP.

My fear with Edwards is it means Watson too. He's a bit...much. Far far prefer David Leslie if that's the case.

#19 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:37

Heard this on the 7 o'clock news on Five Live and I couldn't believe it. Fantastic! :clap:

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:37

Originally posted by rolf123

I fancy that the BBC Radio guy, Simon whatsisface, who is also owner of Haymarket Publishing might come to the mike. He has done highlights before.

Lord Michael Heseltine the former Deputy Prime Minister?

#21 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:38

Originally posted by AndyW35
Interesting sentence

Wonder if it was a pure money motive or whether there was some other reason? I'd like to know the comparison in amount to be paid, it would be very interesting if it was less ;)

Great news though :clap: No more ad breaks and no Steve Ryder ..woohoo.

Regards

Andy

Bernie being motivated by something other than money -- me thinks he is only following orders .......

#22 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:40

I'm going to miss the adverts.

Livened up many a dull race and rescued a suffering bladder.

#23 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle together. ): Where are the laughs going to come from ?

#24 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

I hope they keep the live practice on the web-site using the iPlayer. Other than that - great news!

#25 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:41

Originally posted by airwise
I'm going to miss the adverts.

Livened up many a dull race and rescued a suffering bladder.

Sadly true

#26 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:43

Now I remember. Simon Taylor.

Most of you have problem listened to him because as well as F1 on radio he has done many other motorsport commentaries.

In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but he has done BBC live F1 TV as a stand-in for Murray in the past?

I hope he gets to do it from next year, he is excellent.

#27 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:44

BUT WHAT ABOUT TED KRAVITZ? OH NOEZ!

#28 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:45

Hope they bring back Fleetwood Mac music!!!! Get rid of that god awful Mobey song!!!

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:45

The most important question is, can we complain to BBC standards if it becomes a bit too Hamilton centric?

#30 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:46

Originally posted by AndyW35
Interesting sentence

Wonder if it was a pure money motive or whether there was some other reason?

Maybe Bernie is a secret hater of James Allen? :lol:

On a serious note, Ecclestone wants government support for British GP, and an idea of BBC showing newborn star Hamilton is supposed to be a step in that direction.

#31 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:47

This is fantastic news. I agree Ben Edwards + Martin Brundle would be a great team, and lets hope James Allen ****s off to persue other pasttimes.

I'm hoping BBC designs their show around the sport/F1 fan rather than Joe Bloggs who's never watched an F1 race before.

JA: "If you're new to F1, those things on the wheels keep the tyres warm ...". *shoots self in head*

#32 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

id imagine brundle will stay, like ht an murry did last time...

OR mayby the top gear team will do it!!!

#33 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Wow! Wasn't expecting this news at all! I'd like to see Edwards in the hot-seat, failing that Croft. It would be hilarious if the Beeb went for Allen but I bet they do...

#34 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:50

Originally posted by rolf123
Now I remember. Simon Taylor.

Most of you have problem listened to him because as well as F1 on radio he has done many other motorsport commentaries.

In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but he has done BBC live F1 TV as a stand-in for Murray in the past?

I hope he gets to do it from next year, he is excellent.

He was in the original ITV line with Tony Jardine but suddenly vanished one year.

as for the topic Yipee!!!! I feel like a kid at christmas. Goose bumps stupid grin :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thoughts of the chain ringing in my head :clap: :clap:

#35 Matti Poika

Matti Poika

• 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:51

Great news although I hope Bernie has put in a stipulation that all races have to be shown live and in their entirety.
If Lewis falls from grace and F1’s popularity drops in the UK, the temptation to move it out of prime time and replace it with reruns of Eastenders might be too great.

We may slate them but apart from the obvious annoyances (ad breaks, James Allen etc) ITV has given us really good coverage over the years,(Especially when compared to other countries I’ve watched the Grand Prix in) I just hope the Beeb continues in this vain

#36 Ceejay

Ceejay

• 730 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:51

The most important question is, can we complain to BBC standards if it becomes a bit too Hamilton centric?

That rules Murray Walker out then.
;)

#37 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:52

Absolutely :clap:

Maybe Bernie realised that to break up a race with adverts was just killing the tension of a race.

#38 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:53

Originally posted by Burai
Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Amen to that!!

#39 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:53

Originally posted by Mika Mika
id imagine brundle will stay, like ht an murry did last time...

OR mayby the top gear team will do it!!!

For sure Brundle is a big fav with the Max & Bernie double act (not).

Clarkston is already doing enough damage to the wider publics image of motoring.

Advertisement

#40 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 484 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:56

Am I the only person that is slightly concerned about this, I know the BBC did a great job the last time they had F1 and it still feels like F1's traditional home on British television. But times have changed, and I really wonder if a public service broadcaster can compete with commercial television in terms of a package for the actual tv show. ITV's coverage over the years has improved substantially, every race is broadcast live, and there is usually at least an hour of pre race build up. The show is slick, and well presented, with people like Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell on board the pundits are real F1 experts that have been and still are involved in the sport first hand. ITV's coverage this year has taken a further step forward, ITV.com/F1 is nothing short of stellar now, with live practise sessions, qualifying and race, highlights from all the weekends action and many other titbits for our viewing pleasure.

I worry the BBC will not have the resources to match this. If you watch their Moto GP coverage with Susie Stoddardt, cutting about the pit lane like a lone campaigner, it just gives you the impression that the whole show is done on the cheap. Can the BBC justify sending out an entire television crew plus 6 presenters to every race, to cover the weekends action, in as much detail as ITV do? Will the BBC show every race plus qualifying session live? And what about the practise sessions..will they be shown on the BBC? As for the presenters, who will we get? Will we get David Croft and the crew from five live? (dont get me wrong, they do an excellent job on the radio) or will we see a similar campaign to get the ITV guys over like we did with Murray Walker when it first switched to ITV.

My fears may be proven incorrect, after all the BBC does have a great interactive service, and its coverage of other sports, like football and tennis for example, is first class. Maybe its just me, maybe I just fear change, but I would hate to see a switch back to an inferior package. Does anybody else share my fears or am I just getting old?

#41 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 865 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:00

Great news, not sure about the bid amounts, but I would imagine BBC have a fair amount for sports rights, given that most of the big sports are now on commercial channels.

Like others, I'd hope to see Simon Taylor/Martin Brundle in the box.

#42 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:07

Hooray!

#43 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:11

i hope brundle goes to the bbc

#44 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:12

woohoo!all we need now is brundle to make a call to the BBC and say 'please hire me,theres no-one better out there' so get him and maybe ben edwards,just dont get james allen ffs-great news tho!

#45 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,907 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:13

Wow, gathering that F1 will be back on BBC 2, this gives me and many other Dutch viewers a third option to watch the races:
[list=1][*]RTL 7 (Netherlands)
[*]Canvas (Belgium)
[*]BBC 2 (UK)[/list=1]
Plus, there's German RTL in many regions, too.

#46 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:14

:up: I hope, as in the old days, the broadcast will be on BBC 1/2 outside of the UK as well.

#47 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:14

I fear change, but maybe it'll be ok? If I recall the BBC weren't exactly that wonderful with their coverage 12 years ago but times have changed. I imagine practice sessions will be shown live on the BBC site and via their 'iPlayer' you'll be able to watch any of the races up to 30 days afterwards.

Perhaps it'll also mean F1 might be shown in HD?

#48 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:15

Originally posted by The July Plot
Am I the only person that is slightly concerned about this, I know the BBC did a great job the last time they had F1 and it still feels like F1's traditional home on British television. But times have changed, and I really wonder if a public service broadcaster can compete with commercial television in terms of a package for the actual tv show. ITV's coverage over the years has improved substantially, every race is broadcast live, and there is usually at least an hour of pre race build up. The show is slick, and well presented, with people like Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell on board the pundits are real F1 experts that have been and still are involved in the sport first hand. ITV's coverage this year has taken a further step forward, ITV.com/F1 is nothing short of stellar now, with live practise sessions, qualifying and race, highlights from all the weekends action and many other titbits for our viewing pleasure.

I worry the BBC will not have the resources to match this. If you watch their Moto GP coverage with Susie Stoddardt, cutting about the pit lane like a lone campaigner, it just gives you the impression that the whole show is done on the cheap. Can the BBC justify sending out an entire television crew plus 6 presenters to every race, to cover the weekends action, in as much detail as ITV do? Will the BBC show every race plus qualifying session live? And what about the practise sessions..will they be shown on the BBC? As for the presenters, who will we get? Will we get David Croft and the crew from five live? (dont get me wrong, they do an excellent job on the radio) or will we see a similar campaign to get the ITV guys over like we did with Murray Walker when it first switched to ITV.

My fears may be proven incorrect, after all the BBC does have a great interactive service, and its coverage of other sports, like football and tennis for example, is first class. Maybe its just me, maybe I just fear change, but I would hate to see a switch back to an inferior package. Does anybody else share my fears or am I just getting old?

It's Suzy Perry BTW.

To be honest I prefer minimal coverage of a high standard. Five Live have Crofty, Maurice Hamilton and Samos and everyone thinks it's great whereas ITV have Ryder, Blundell, Brundle, Alan, Kravitz, and Goodman and the whole things a cheesy mess of rubbish PR stunts (LH and HK on the Aus programme) The only good bits were when Brundle got to drive and F1 and explain a few technicalities.

Quality not quantity is what matters.

Ben

#49 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:16

I would love to know why ITV have been dumped after only 3 years of their 5 year contract.....?

#50 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:16

Very Very Clever move by Burnie, before people could advertise in the advert brakes and not bother sponsoring a car but get all the benifit of the f1 TV audiance... Not any more!!!