Photo

Todt Watch (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#201 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:32

Just to note, KERS has not been removed. It's still in the rules, just the teams have agreed amongst themselves to not use it

I know, Jean Todt just subtly reminds the teams that their "it's too expensive" excuse won't fly and won't stop new or old (green) technologies (re)entering F1.

Have Bernie or Stefan ever said otherwise?

They have at least inferred that if one of the new teams drop out SGP will take it's place and that's not a given.

Advertisement

#202 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:37

They have at least inferred that if one of the new teams drop out SGP will take it's place and that's not a given.

The only things I've seen say they will be ready and want the slot, not that they will automatically get it.

#203 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:47

I know, Jean Todt just subtly reminds the teams that their "it's too expensive" excuse won't fly and won't stop new or old (green) technologies (re)entering F1.

So, it's not expensive?

#204 Spa One

Spa One

• 348 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:50

Enter the President…by Joe Saward

Todt did say he would only hold office for 1 term.

How long is one term? Four years?

#205 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:57

How long is one term? Four years?

Yes.

#206 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:12

I was hoping for eight. In four years you can't finish that job (turn around and set forth new direction), methinks.

#207 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:17

I was hoping for eight. In four years you can't finish that job (turn around and set forth new direction), methinks.

You're better placed to know this than Todt?

#208 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:22

Todt is just saying that he wants to achieve his goals in 4 years.

And he's keeping his options open, there's no point to committing to an extra term when that decision can be made 3+ years from now, also saying you will only stay one term gives your proposed changes a sense of urgency because you will "only" stay for 1 term.
On top of that it shows you're not attached to the role of FIA president and come 2013 you can always change your mind because so many of the FIA member clubs have asked you to stay.

#209 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:23

Lock the doors and torch the place Basterds-style.. how hard can it be? :p

#210 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:35

I'm not sure how to read it. My initial reaction to the Stefan thing was that there is no way they will be allowed to race, but now it appears that the FIA are not totally apposed. I find it difficult to believe they will just turn up and test unless they know something.

Stefanovic said back in September 2009 that he was planning to compete in Bahrain 2010, and I don't think he knew back then.

Just reading this article makes me wonder who this guy is and how much is true:

http://www.f1fanatic...-about-the-fia/

#211 min12

min12

• 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 13:38

Don't be so naïve. He claims he wants only one term yet don't be surprised if the clubs beg him to stay or so he would tell us, just like his good friend Mosley used to resign and then run for another term.

#212 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 14:04

Yeah in Joe Saward's blog: "Todt was also trying to answer the suggestion that some ill-informed folk [ :blush: ] still make who think that Todt is somehow a Mosley puppet. Anyone who knows Todt knows that this is laughable. The message is clear Mosley is now history,..."

Have to admit my hopes about the Todt presidency are starting to rise.

Is Joe Saward calling Mosley 'ill-informed' in that blog entry?  ;)

#213 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 14:14

Is Joe Saward calling Mosley 'ill-informed' in that blog entry? ;)

:lol: some of us I fear...

#214 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 15:04

You're better placed to know this than Todt?

No, not with FIA, but I have a direct experience with turning a corporation around, and based on that, I have some fuzzy idea what's involved in human institution. Regarding FIA, mine was meant to be merely voiced opinion, and I am definitely not looking for an argument. I am sure that JT knows what he is doing. What's your experience other than being snotty and snapping on other posters?

#215 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 15:44

No, not with FIA, but I have a direct experience with turning a corporation around, and based on that, I have some fuzzy idea what's involved in human institution. Regarding FIA, mine was meant to be merely voiced opinion, and I am definitely not looking for an argument. I am sure that JT knows what he is doing. What's your experience other than being snotty and snapping on other posters?

I can certainly believe you 'turned round a corporation', but I bet you bailed before it hit the dirt. :cat:

As for your opinion, you're questioning the judgement of the person with the facts to hand, I don't know why you think you know better... oh right, that bit of corporation turning you did? :lol:

Edited by Orin, 09 February 2010 - 15:45.

#216 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 19:31

Well if anyone doubted that Todt was all about the same old FIA total control, his refusal to accept a legal ruling in the Briatore case and push for revokable licences for team bosses has ended that..

It's so sad that FIA is just an ongoing control machinery and Todt obviously another of the ilk.

If we get more of the ridiculous sport disreputing season rulings and power game skulduggery from Todt in what promises to be the best season for a veery long time, that's probably the end of my patience with the sport.

Edited by Velocifer, 09 February 2010 - 19:32.

#217 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 22:51

Well if anyone doubted that Todt was all about the same old FIA total control, his refusal to accept a legal ruling in the Briatore case and push for revokable licences for team bosses has ended that..

It's so sad that FIA is just an ongoing control machinery and Todt obviously another of the ilk.

If we get more of the ridiculous sport disreputing season rulings and power game skulduggery from Todt in what promises to be the best season for a veery long time, that's probably the end of my patience with the sport.

Where has he refused to accept the ruling? The ruling only related to the punishment, not his guilt, and the license is so that in future any sanctions will be within the law.

#218 mattorgen

mattorgen

• 1,231 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 23:09

the license is so that in future any sanctions will be within the law.

Exactly. If anyone sues over previous WMSC decisions the FIA is, according to legal opinion, stuffed.

#219 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 15:30

Are you saying you don't know that Todt is appealing the ruling of the French Court which stated that FIA did not follow the laws?

Well I guess you must be since you state that any similar actions will be within the law following the introduction of licenses, meaning the ones already made were outside.

Advertisement

#220 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,769 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 20:10

Exactly. If anyone sues over previous WMSC decisions the FIA is, according to legal opinion, stuffed.

Not necessarily. If previously an "offender" accepted the FIA's verdict and punishment, it will be much more difficult for it, retrospectively, to challenge that verdict.
Briatore never accepted the verdict, and within a reasonable time went outside the FIA regulatory system in order to challenge it.
Also, one of Briatore's arguments which IINM the French court supported was that the FIA executive had acted as both claimant and jury. That is, the FIA executive (WMSC) raised the charges against Renault, et al. and then the same WMSC sat in judgment of its own arguments.
In the most obvious and outrageous example of WMSC abuses, the $100m fine and the rest, it was an entrant that raised the charges, the FIA executive investigated, the complainant then made its arguments to the WMSC, who sat in judgment.

#221 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 23:35

Any movement on Series Commissioners? I hoped that the F1 appointment would have been made before the start of the season.

#222 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 23:45

Any movement on Series Commissioners? I hoped that the F1 appointment would have been made before the start of the season.

Nope.

I think the Todt administration will want to take matters into their own hands first and will appoint caretakers after the policy has been set.

#223 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 23:58

Nope.

I think the Todt administration will want to take matters into their own hands first and will appoint caretakers after the policy has been set.

after our clown friend Flavio is done setting the policy. :p ;)

#224 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 19:44

It was a very informal get together, largely off the record and Mosley didn’t have any particular agenda beyond wanting to make it clear that he was not pushed out of his job by FOTA last summer as part of the peace deal over the breakaway, as Luca di Montezemolo said at the time. This seems to be something he doesn’t want to have in his legacy and it seems to be something he takes exception to. His agreement with Jean Todt, he revealed today, was that in 2005 he would hand over to the Frenchman, like Tony Blair to Gordon Brown, but then Todt accepted the job of General Manager at Ferrari, which meant Mosley had to stay on until 2009.

http://www.jamesalle...rded-president/

Hehe, so much for democracy :)

#225 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 19:54

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

I asked him if he would be a back seat driver in the new Jean Todt regime and he said that his contact would be minimal. He doesn’t plan to attend any races.

As an ex president he is entitled to a seat on the FIA Senate, but he says that he did not attend the last Senate meeting and he has no plans to be involved beyond being on the end of a telephone if new president Jean Todt wants his opinio

#226 Scorf

Scorf

• 216 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 20:13

Love the quotes about Ferrari..!!

:lol:

#227 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,769 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 20:28

Mosley would have us believe that he worked for four more years than he really wanted to do, only because Jean Todt was not available soon enough? Yep, Jean Todt is the only living human being capable of being FIA president.
Max sacrificed four years of his life only because he cares so much about the best interests of the FIA. In fact, he cares so much about the best interests of the FIA that, although he is still a member of the FIA's most senior body, he is not going to bother to attend any of its meetings.
Very plausible, Max, and, by the way, we also know that Gordon Brown is not really a bully.

#228 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:26

Yep, what a travesty. Still, good to see that he's still smarting about being forced out of office - for no matter how nicely they worded it, that was clearly non-negotiable.

#229 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:44

Yep, what a travesty. Still, good to see that he's still smarting about being forced out of office - for no matter how nicely they worded it, that was clearly non-negotiable.

yep, getting his arse kicked clearly got to him :up:

#230 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:34

@Hairpin

Good post. I had missed that on JA's site. :up:

#231 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:18

Webber was also upbeat about the progress that could be made with new FIA president Jean Todt.

"It can only go the right way in terms of where we were," he said. "We want to deal with Jean, not other people, and that's the impression we're getting. The first few meetings we've had with him – at Singapore last year – have been very positive.

"Jean had his finger on the pulse with a lot of things as you'd expect, and the GPDA are looking forward to working with him. If we don't have much to do that's a good sign."

#232 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:46

"It can only go the right way in terms of where we were," he said.

:lol:

#233 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:29

“I did not say that we would have a commissioner at the start of the season,” he said. By all accounts this is not an easy job to fill and Jean says that he will be holding a press conference in Bahrain to give more details about his Formula 1 ideas.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

#234 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 17:18

I cannot locate official FIA response to declaration of US F1 closing down. Is there one available yet? Maybe they negotiating with another team and replacement will be announced at the same time, or, there will be no replacement for this team in 2010 season, but delay exists because lawyers are evaluating FIA's options, which, when ready, will be publicised. I do not need to know, but I am curious.

#235 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 14:13

Todt Watch has had monthly polls on F1 Fanatic. So far:

Date..........Approve.....Disapprove.....No Opinion
MAR 2010......53%............26%............21% (0,440 votes - ongoing)
FEB 2010.......57%............14%............29% (1,272 votes)
JAN 2010.......55%............16%............29% (0,941 votes)

Edited by D.M.N., 04 March 2010 - 14:15.

#236 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 15:03

I'm impressed with Todt so far.

Not all decisions will be popular, but at least they are shrowded in less scandal and controversy that the previous president.

To be fair also, some of the 'issues' he's dealing with at the moment, such as the USF1/SGP debacle is actually a legacy of the previous president - Todt didn't create the situation he's now having to fix.

I think we will get better teams in in 2011 as a result of a exercising a bit of patience and common sense to tender for more of the kind of new teams that F1 needs (like Lotus).

I suspect there will be a sufficient helping of top quality racing at the pointy end this season, that a couple of Sebian cars won't be missed in the slightest. We've already got more cars than we had in 2009.

#237 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:31

I'm impressed with Todt so far.

Not all decisions will be popular, but at least they are shrowded in less scandal and controversy that the previous president.

To be fair also, some of the 'issues' he's dealing with at the moment, such as the USF1/SGP debacle is actually a legacy of the previous president - Todt didn't create the situation he's now having to fix.

I think we will get better teams in in 2011 as a result of a exercising a bit of patience and common sense to tender for more of the kind of new teams that F1 needs (like Lotus).

I suspect there will be a sufficient helping of top quality racing at the pointy end this season, that a couple of Sebian cars won't be missed in the slightest. We've already got more cars than we had in 2009.

:up: Agree on all points Rinehart.
I didn't expect Todt to trip up early on anyway. The record tends to show much of the trouble with leadership is when they stay on too long. Let's hope he gets stuck in for two terms and puts plenty of distance between himself and Ferrari.

Edited by Muz Bee, 06 March 2010 - 10:32.

#238 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 19:53

FIA president no longer head of world council

Formula 1 governing body the FIA has changed how verdicts will be determined following protest cases in the sport. From now on, no individual involved in a questionable situation will be present before a decision is made and, more significantly, neither will the President of the Paris-based federation.

An improvement over Max's desire for total control. I think JT is moving in the right direction but I still think the influence of the FIA president is still pretty much there and if he so desires, can still pull strings behind the curtain. This may in the end turn out to be no more than window dressing. Time will tell.

#239 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 20:21

Michael Schumacher has been appointed as the drivers’ representative on the FIA’s Circuits Commission.

The Circuits Commissions reports to the World Motor Sports Council on – you guessed it – matters to do with circuit design, particularly safety.

Schumacher has played a role in circuit design before and helped design the Veedol-S chicane at the new Nürburgring.

Meanwhile Alan Donnelly, formerly the FIA’s permanent steward, has been appointed the FIA President’s official representative to the Manufacturers’ Commission.

This group’s brief is to “examine strategic sporting and mobility matters relating to the broad range of the FIA’s activities.” It includes board level representatives of car manufacturers involved in motor racing.

errghhh

Advertisement

#240 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 20:28

errghhh

LOL you're surprised?

Alan Donnelly is a very valuable and influential player to have on your team, of course FIA is going to continue to use his (political) abilities whenever they can. :lol:

#241 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 21:08

To bring Alain in is in my view a stroke of genius. (I have now all of my heroes back). :D

#242 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 21:32

LOL you're surprised?

Alan Donnelly is a very valuable and influential player to have on your team, of course FIA is going to continue to use his (political) abilities whenever they can. :lol:

That's limiting themselves...

I have a horrible feeling that events at the FIA went something like this:

Todt: "Was Alain pleased wiz 'is appointment to zis very important role?"
FIA Funtionary: "Oh yes, Mr Donnelly said he is very grateful for the faith you have placed in him and he will not let you down."
Todt: "Donnelly? What 'as 'e got to do wiz it? I want to know if Alain Prost is 'appy to be my representative to ze manufacturers."
FIA Functionary: "Oops."

#243 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:26

I wonder if Todt saw sense and realised that he had an opportunity to move Donnelly out of the stewards' room. He's been moved into what is essentially a non-role, one where he doesn't have the authority he once had.

#244 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:42

I wonder if Todt saw sense and realised that he had an opportunity to move Donnelly out of the stewards' room. He's been moved into what is essentially a non-role, one where he doesn't have the authority he once had.

I'd like to think so.

#245 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 00:45

I have been very, very critical of the FIA over the years, but I wanted to say how great it is to have F1 legendary ex-drivers acting as the fourth Steward at races instead of that corrupt fool Donnelly...

I hope they keep that up as it's a great idea.. should keep the likes of Surinder Thatti and the other absolute joke Stewards honest..

Edited by Slowinfastout, 14 March 2010 - 00:45.

#246 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 00:47

The way they handled the diffuser/starter slot issue was pretty grown up for me. "This is what we think, fix it for next race" ... much better than what we got in the past.

#247 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 00:53

The way they handled the diffuser/starter slot issue was pretty grown up for me. "This is what we think, fix it for next race" ... much better than what we got in the past.

To be honest I wish they could be clearer about that kind of stuff in the off-season, but yeah it's an improvement over what it used to be...

It sounds a bit funny, but the FIA will gain a lot of credibility by boldly taking some decision Nascar-style..

#248 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:57

Todt might have just gone down a tick...

adamcooperf1: I just had a bit of a verbal joust with Jean Todt. Seems he didn't like a question I asked in a press conference on Friday - 5 minutes ago via web

adamcooperf1: Oh well, if you going to fall out with someone in the paddock it might as well be the FIA President... - 4 minutes ago via web

Nice way to stop Freedom of Speech, hey? :rolleyes:

#249 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:02

Todt might have just gone down a tick...

adamcooperf1: I just had a bit of a verbal joust with Jean Todt. Seems he didn't like a question I asked in a press conference on Friday - 5 minutes ago via web

adamcooperf1: Oh well, if you going to fall out with someone in the paddock it might as well be the FIA President... - 4 minutes ago via web

Nice way to stop Freedom of Speech, hey? :rolleyes:

You mean the FIA President can't say that he didn't like a question? Freedom of speech applies to FIA officials too you know.

#250 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:20

You mean the FIA President can't say that he didn't like a question? Freedom of speech applies to FIA officials too you know.

I noticed Cooper didn't say what question it was that he asked ...