Photo

Ho-Pin Tung to F1?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:46

Watching the Race of Champions this week, I saw Dutch born Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung make it to the semi finals with team China where he was beaten by Jenson Button.

I've always liked the guy, he's smart, presentable, a decent racer but most of all he's Chinese.
On Bernie's wish list, just after a Jewish black female driver, are a Chinese and Indian driver in F1.

Ho-Pin Tung has seized the opportunity and publicity that came with his good showing in the Race of Champions, to try and get the sponsorship and backing from Chinese companies needed to race in F1 in 2010.
There's an article in the China Daily on his efforts to get to F1 here.

He was Asian Formula BMW champion and won German F3 in 2006, after that he drove A1GP representing China.
In 07 and 08 GP2 (Asia) where results were not so good, although he wasn't with the best of teams (Trident and BCN).
This year he's driving Superleague Formula and was supposed to drive FIA GT in Spa with Jacques Villeneuve but alas Jacques wrecked the car before Ho-Pin could take the wheel.

So now he's aiming for F1 in 2010, with possibly 4 new teams coming in a driver with a bit of a budget and the potential of the Chinese market behind him could be an interesting option.

I think it would be good for F1 to "unlock" the potential of the Chinese market but is Ho-Pin good enough, are there better alternatives, which team wouild benefit from the China link??

Anyway so far my plug a driver for today  ;)
More on Ho-Pin Tung here:

website
results

Advertisement

#2 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,036 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:47

Where's the petition? I'll sign it.

#3 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:48

Watching the Race of Champions this week, I saw Dutch born Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung make it to the semi finals with team China where he was beaten by Jenson Button.

I've always liked the guy, he's smart, presentable, a decent racer but most of all he's Chinese.
On Bernie's wish list, just after a Jewish black female driver, are a Chinese and Indian driver in F1.

Ho-Pin Tung has seized the opportunity and publicity that came with his good showing in the Race of Champions, to try and get the sponsorship and backing from Chinese companies needed to race in F1 in 2010.
There's an article in the China Daily on his efforts to get to F1 here.

He was Asian Formula BMW champion and won German F3 in 2006, after that he drove A1GP representing China.
In 07 and 08 GP2 (Asia) where results were not so good, although he wasn't with the best of teams (Trident and BCN).
This year he's driving Superleague Formula and was supposed to drive FIA GT in Spa with Jacques Villeneuve but alas Jacques wrecked the car before Ho-Pin could take the wheel.

So now he's aiming for F1 in 2010, with possibly 4 new teams coming in a driver with a bit of a budget and the potential of the Chinese market behind him could be an interesting option.

I think it would be good for F1 to "unlock" the potential of the Chinese market but is Ho-Pin good enough, are there better alternatives, which team wouild benefit from the China link??

Anyway so far my plug a driver for today ;)
More on Ho-Pin Tung here:

website
results

F1 is not the UN, I don't see the need to have a Chinese driver for the sake of it, he hardly set the world alight in Williams testing too

He seems like another Alex Yoong to me

#4 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:49

Really lovely guy, I mean a genuinely nice bloke, but not a megastar in terms of talent.

Don't get me wrong, he has potential, but no way does he deserve a seat in F1 over guys like di Grassi, Carroll, Jani, etc

He's the best hope China's got at the moment, but I just can't see him making it.

#5 crashgate

crashgate

• 380 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:49

a communist in F1?

#6 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:55

Where's the petition? I'll sign it.

That's nice of you but these online petitions related to F1 seem to always produce the opposite result  ;)

#7 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:57

EUhm difficult case... somehow I say yes but there's better... but I wouldn't say he hasn't talent =

German F3 champion in 2006 :up:
Asian Formula BMW champion in 2003 :up:

Scored a podium in A1 GP & Superleague Formula so far... :well:

But then his GP2 outings weren't something to jump out of your seat for.. only a podium in Monaco last year. :|

http://www.forix.com...=...amp;s=0&b=0

Edited by Jedi_F1, 06 November 2009 - 10:58.

#8 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:57

Interesting suggestion JPW, and would be good for F1.

But I've always thought HPT was one of those guys who finds his natural peak level just below F1, in something like A1GP.

A kind of Neal Jani, good in a slightly lower formula, but not good in the top level.

#9 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:01

Really lovely guy, I mean a genuinely nice bloke, but not a megastar in terms of talent.

Don't get me wrong, he has potential, but no way does he deserve a seat in F1 over guys like di Grassi, Carroll, Jani, etc

He's the best hope China's got at the moment, but I just can't see him making it.

I kind of agree with you, he's not the most talented guy out there (and nearly 27 too) but when I saw him doing well at the RoC and saw how enthousiastic the Chinese were about the RoC and the Chimese team, I thought why not maybe 2010 might be his best and only chance.

Next year there will be teams looking for solid dependable drivers who can help to develop a car and if they bring some money and Chinese sponsors even better.

#10 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:47

Furthermore, you only know how talented a guy for F1 is when you give him a chance in a F1. There are very succesfull F1 drivers who had a less than stellar career before F1, to name two: Gerhard Berger and Niki Lauda.

#11 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:07

Furthermore, you only know how talented a guy for F1 is when you give him a chance in a F1. There are very succesfull F1 drivers who had a less than stellar career before F1, to name two: Gerhard Berger and Niki Lauda.

Agreed, Ho-Pin had a test in F1 though with Williams but that's a long time ago just after he'd won the Formula BMW title in 2003.

Tung's performance was assessed by BMW Motorsport Director, Mario Theissen.
"We have been keeping our eyes on Ho-Pin for some time now, and his twelve pole positions and ten wins from 14 starts this year promises much. I am glad to say he handled his first Formula One test in a very mature fashion. His approach and his improvements over the course of the day did prove he has serious potential as a racing driver."

Tung was also praised by WilliamsF1’s Chief Operations Engineer, Sam Michael.
"Ho-Pin assisted with our general test programme today, driving the FW24. He worked well with the engineering team and demonstrated a good degree of competence and ability over the course of the day. His lap time was very respectable for someone who hadn't driven anything like a Formula One car before today."

link

#12 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:09

I think you're possibly Ho-Pin against hope.

#13 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:34

he has Dutch nationality as well if I'm not mistaken

#14 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:38

hmm so Ho-ping Tung is hoping to find a race seat in F1?

I'll get my coat

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:44

I'll get my coat

You'll have to ask Mr O'Flaherty for it...

#16 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 13:30

This guy is completely dutch, he just uses his china passport from his parents to do things for China national things because in China they don't have good drivers yet.

He is a good guy though and is pretty good at racing, maybe not f1 though

#17 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,249 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:32

Ho-Pin Tung to F1?

:rotfl:

This board is getting weirder and weirder every day.

Only if he pulls a Kobayashi and is 50 times better in F1 than in the lower formulas - what are the odds of that happening again? And even Kobayashi had a couple championships won that were way more important than German F3 and Asian FBMW.

#18 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:36

I would take Pastrana before Ho-Pin Tung. He was good in ROC so he must be ready to F1 :cat:

#19 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:48

Comedy Gold if he makes it... just like Baguette....

"Wow.....Tung gave him a good licking there..."

"driver goes wide and pokes out Tung"

"oh dear he seems to have tripped over Tung"

"Tung's right up his backside"....

:lol:

Advertisement

#20 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,207 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 15:05

a communist in F1?

Ever heard of Bruno Giacomelli?

#21 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 15:15

Comedy Gold if he makes it... just like Baguette....

"Wow.....Tung gave him a good licking there..."

"driver goes wide and pokes out Tung"

"oh dear he seems to have tripped over Tung"

"Tung's right up his backside"....

:lol:

"oh Tung all over Baguette....oh Tung dives in the inside..oh he's done it, what a tasty move!"

#22 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:15

F1 is in financial problems. I'm sure if young Tung brings the neccessary cash he'll be on the grid.

#23 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:59

F1 is in financial problems. I'm sure if young Tung brings the neccessary cash he'll be on the grid.

The whole world seems to be in financial problems nothing new there, especially the car manufacturers hence we see them drop like flies.
F1 not so much, a steady longterm stream of contracts with broadcasters and tracks keeps the money flowing (for now).

For Ho-Pin Tung the chance lies not so much in bringing money but in bringing Chinese companies to F1 and for providing publicitary access to China for team sponsors.

Still it's all a long shot but with so many new teams coming in it might be his best shot.

#24 desiree

desiree

• 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 17:04

The chinese market? What a nice dream for Bernie!

Take a look at the empty seats in Shanghai,and within the audience most of them are Kimi Fans

If Kimi leaves F1 in 2010,there will be more empty seats

Edited by desiree, 06 November 2009 - 17:04.

#25 Walsingham

Walsingham

• 1,232 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:37

Hop Into the f1 car?

#26 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:48

I'm monitoring this thread for JVi bashers.;) (think about it for a second)

Seriously. Earn your way into F1. If you bring sponsor money then ok. Can he even get a superlicense?

#27 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:50

The chinese market? What a nice dream for Bernie!

Take a look at the empty seats in Shanghai...

Exactly. Chinese "market" is not something that can be wrung of money. If anyone doesn't get the Chinese it would be Bernie. Now if Bernie brought Crown Royal in it might be different.

#28 Jazza_26

Jazza_26

• 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:56

Who was the Chinese dude that raced in A1 a lot? I think his name was Frankie Cheng but I'm not too sure. He was pretty good.

#29 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:58

The whole world seems to be in financial problems nothing new there, especially the car manufacturers hence we see them drop like flies.
F1 not so much, a steady longterm stream of contracts with broadcasters and tracks keeps the money flowing (for now).

For Ho-Pin Tung the chance lies not so much in bringing money but in bringing Chinese companies to F1 and for providing publicitary access to China for team sponsors.

Still it's all a long shot but with so many new teams coming in it might be his best shot.

:rotfl: bringing Chinese companies does equate to bring money :rotfl: or can he just bring the companies for free. Sure every F1 team just lets compenies plaster stickers on their car for free. When UNICEF makes their own F1 series that will be true, but until then PONY UP.

You take the cake pal :rotfl: It's rare to meet an individual such as yourself :rotfl:
:wave:

Edited by Lazarus II, 06 November 2009 - 19:00.

#30 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 20:44

Seriously. Earn your way into F1. If you bring sponsor money then ok. Can he even get a superlicense?

Good call, don't think he qualifies as his German F3 championship is too long ago, still with winter testing and Bernie wanting a Chinese driver in it shouldn't really be a problem.

This post has been edited by Lazarus II: Today, 20:00

Was it to get the all smilies in laz, great improvement I must say :up:

#31 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 20:53

a communist in F1?

:confused:

You know they are not really real communists no more ;)

Remember the Vietnamese-Australian with no karting background, who did a driving school day and was so impressive to obtain backing for national formula in Germany (?) where he was so impressive to obtain backing for International F3000. He did okay in F3000 considering it was his second and part of a third year of car racing, with a few top ten finishes. Unfortunately ran out of money before he could really start to perform and went back to a business career.

It would have been good to see a Vietnamese driver in F1 :up: :up: :up:

Perhaps parents in Asia see racing car driver as a silly career, and would prefer the bright ones with the nous to be the next Sennas to instead go to business school etc instead of racing go karts? :)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 06 November 2009 - 20:54.

#32 JarnoA

JarnoA

• 752 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:00

Clearly, the ROC is indicitave of F1 success. After all, Heikki beat MS in the ROC 2004.

Now Heikki is clearly MS standard isn't he?

:rotfl:

#33 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:31

Wasn't very impressive in A1GP.

#34 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 14:47

Shamelessly continuing my plug for Ho-Pin, the boy is flying at today's Superleague Formula practice at Jarama.;)

After a 11th place in the first practice, he managed to improve to 8th in the second session only to really set a flyer and managing 4th in final practise jugst after Sebastien Bourdais.

1. Max Wissel FC Basel 1m20.002s
2. Julien Jousse AS Roma 1m20.364s
3. Sebastien Bourdais Sevilla FC 1m20.522s
4. Ho-Pin Tung Galatasaray 1m20.656s

Edited by JPW, 07 November 2009 - 14:49.

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,064 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 17:15

a communist in F1?

Bruno Giacomelli has beaten him to it.

#36 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 17:47

Bruno Giacomelli has beaten him to it.

and you got beaten by midgrid on the Giacomelli answer  ;)

anyway Ho-Pin Tung doing fine at the Superlegue Formula qualification today, he managed 5th place in a "thrilling" qualification in Jarama that were won by Sebastien Bourdais for Sevilla.

more here

#37 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 23:18

I've met the guy one day in person so I keep my fingers crossed for him ;)

#38 Regiotap

Regiotap

• 126 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 23:59

Wasn't very impressive in A1GP.

Doesn't say anything.

#39 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:00

Do me two times Menu C please.

Sambal bij ja.

Advertisement

#40 Japan Time

Japan Time

• 232 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 14:19

and you got beaten by midgrid on the Giacomelli answer ;)

anyway Ho-Pin Tung doing fine at the Superlegue Formula qualification today, he managed 5th place in a "thrilling" qualification in Jarama that were won by Sebastien Bourdais for Sevilla.

more here

He won the 2nd race today for Galatasaray...

#41 acelik

acelik

• 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 15:25

it's the first time he has done well :) congratulations to him.

but he was not the fastest man today.

#42 Kameel

Kameel

• 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 22:05

Well according to his manager Ho Pin Tung has an 50% chance of being in Formula 1 next year:

http://www.chinadail...ent_8921890.htm

"The discussions we have had with teams are positive as they absolutely want Ho-pin in a F1 car. However, we need some partners. We are close to making a deal with some people. We still need some more Chinese companies to give us some backup. It's 50-50 that Ho-pin will be in a F1 car next year."

So i don't know, if he does finds the sponsorship it might actually happen.

edit: oops i totally missed the link to this article in the opening post. :drunk:

Edited by Kameel, 09 November 2009 - 12:49.

#43 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,813 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 23:11

it's the first time he has done well :) congratulations to him.

but he was not the fastest man today.

This thread gave him good luck I'm sure :)

#44 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,249 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 23:25

This thread gave him good luck I'm sure :)

I think it's me. I say Fauzy's ****, he wins the next day; I talk crap about Kobayashi, he goes on to do a monster of a F1 race in Abu Dhabi; I talk crap about Tung, he wins the next day.

I'm gonna start putting down my fav guys to see if they start winning more.

#45 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 00:37

Well according to his manager Ho Pin Tung has an 50% chance of being in Formula 1 next year:

http://www.chinadail...ent_8921890.htm

"The discussions we have had with teams are positive as they absolutely want Ho-pin in a F1 car. However, we need some partners. We are close to making a deal with some people. We still need some more Chinese companies to give us some backup. It's 50-50 that Ho-pin will be in a F1 car next year."

So i don't know, if he does finds the sponsorship it might actually happen.

With enough sponsor dollars we could ALL be on the grid next year. :rolleyes:

#46 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,117 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:01

Ho Pin Tung is not good enough for F1 and in the Superleague it's much easier to win race 2 because of the reversed grids (not just the top 8 is reversed but the complete grid). Just check Tung's GP2 performances: he is simply not fast enough and hasn't done anything to justify an F1 seat. I rate Fairuz Fauzy a lot higher, he's much better than Tung.

Edited by William Hunt, 09 November 2009 - 04:01.

#47 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:57

I rate Fairuz Fauzy a lot higher, he's much better than Tung.

Yes Fauzy isn't a bad driver either but he's only going to be a reserve driver next year for Lotus.

As for Ho-Pin he sure took a lot of positive energy from his successful Race of Champions performance (and possibly this thread  ;) ) because despite having a weekend of mechanical gremlins (broken brakeline race 1 and broken damper in Superfinal) he managed to win race 2 at Jarama yesterday.

Highlights of that race here.

So congrats Ho-Pin Tung and good luck in finding a seat in F1 for 2010 :up:

#48 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,813 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 14:37

I think it's me. I say Fauzy's ****, he wins the next day; I talk crap about Kobayashi, he goes on to do a monster of a F1 race in Abu Dhabi; I talk crap about Tung, he wins the next day.

I'm gonna start putting down my fav guys to see if they start winning more.

Haha.. yes! could you include Guerrieri on your smashing list?

#49 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 17:06

He'd better include Pechito López on it. And USF1 at all.

#50 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,813 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:41

He'd better include Pechito López on it. And USF1 at all.

Dont worry, he already has... at least with López