Photo

Kimi in Mercedes Brazilian source reporting

• Please log in to reply
745 replies to this topic

#601 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:35

Mclaren also wanted Kimi to race for them!

Advertisement

#602 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:35

If the car miraculously became suited to Räikkönen immediately after Massa's injury, then thew whole "suitedness" depended on some very small change, that would have been easily to implement way earlier.
I don't believe it. It was merely a relatively good car and Räikkönen started to drive with far more motivation.

GC

Well, it isn't miracle. They'll listened to Kimi when the development was stopped. The Car was suited to him already in Hungary, when Massa could barely get through to Q3 in Qualy. It ain't small thing. When they stopped development, they could come back to the basic setup of the car, where the mistake was.... Motivation? Yeah, almost missed the pole in Monaco. Nevermind. If he gets the seat at Mercedes, he'll show motivation  ;) .

#603 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:36

Jenson Button's departure to McLaren gives space to perhaps the most coveted seat at the moment. BrawnGP / Mercedes has indicated in peace to find a replacement but, despite denials, is indeed preferable.

Perhaps the most popular race seat is currently vacant following the departure of Jenson Button in the team BrawnGP. Although the team writes in a relaxed manner to find a new driver, nevertheless Fri names of any candidates. Some talk about the desire of German Mercedes and a full line-up present for the upcoming season and even the name of Michael Schumacher is called. Heidfeld is also mentioned as successor to the McLaren left Button. Whoever gets the nomination will depend on a possible interference and preference of the new Mercedes owner.

To date, no name is linked to the position. Ross Brawn told "Auto Motor und Sport"There will be no rush to replace Button." We will calmly watch the most suitable candidate to act. We would be foolish to panic now a new driver to believe ".
Although not name names Brawn, Nick Fry is what freer in expressing his preference. "We will calmly watch suitable and available candidates. Almost everyone wants to do have this seat. If we get to me is Kimi Raikkonen to us. From me he can start tomorrow. He knows I prefer to have my number and may I always call. I'd like to welcome a new driver ", said Nick Fry.

Sorry its google translate so its not that good.

#604 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:38

Can someone who is dutch please translate the last paragraph in that article? Google translate is making a mess of it. I would like the wording of it.

My Babelfish translation says; "I would gladly wellcome him". If You mean the part; "k zou hem graag als nieuwe coureur verwelkomen".

Does anybody know how reliable this site is?

#605 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:42

Mclaren also wanted Kimi to race for them!

Lately I been wondering if they really did. Maybe they wanted Button all along.

#606 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:44

Can someone who is dutch please translate the last paragraph in that article? Google translate is making a mess of it. I would like the wording of it.

Nick Fry says Kimi is the main target and he says that if Kimi wants he can start (to work for them) tomorrow. Obviously it's not as simple as that in real life but if the reports from Abu Dhabi are true there's certainly no problems with financing the deal.

Edited by OSX, 20 November 2009 - 15:45.

#607 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:45

Lately I been wondering if they really did. Maybe they wanted Button all along.

Kimi was the main target but they couldn't reach an agreement that would have pleased Kimi.

#608 rabauke

rabauke

• 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:46

While Brawn does not mention any [driver] names, Nick Fry is somewhat more open in stating his preference. "We will carefully consider the drivers that are suitable and available. Almost everyone [of those] would quite like the seat. If it were up to me to decide we would sign Kimi Raikkonen. He can start tomorrow as far as I am concerned. He knows of my preference, has my number and can call me anytime. I would happily welcome him as a new driver", says Nick Fry.

Dutch is not my first language, but I am pretty sure I can beat the Google robot.;)

#609 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

"We will calmly watch suitable and available candidates. Almost everyone wants to do have this seat. If we get to me is Kimi Raikkonen to us. From me he can start tomorrow. He knows I prefer to have my number and may I always call. I'd like to welcome a new driver ", said Nick Fry.

well this certainly is good news....

#610 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Nick Fry says Kimi is the main target and he says that if Kimi wants he can start (to work for them) tomorrow. Obviously it's not as simple as that in real life but if the reports from Abu Dhabi are true there's certainly no problems with financing the deal.

Go for it Kimi :clap:

#611 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:48

a big name is a necessity for mercedes right now and raikkonen is the only one left...we may see them spending a lot more than we think to get kimi

odvan's crazy story may have some substance after all

Edited by grunge, 20 November 2009 - 15:50.

#612 GIBF1

GIBF1

• 585 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:54

a big name is a necessity for mercedes right now and raikkonen is the only one left...we may see them spending a lot more than we think to get kimi

odvan's crazy story may have some substance after all

As much as Kimi being at Merc next year will mean another obstacle in Jenson's defence of his title, i hope he gets a drive

I'd be happy for Nick also, he deserves a crack

Does anyone else think a Kimi/Nick partnership would be better for Merc ?

#613 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:00

well it looks good on paper..heidfeld is very consistent,collects points at every race.perfect 2nd driver.

nico has a top drive for the first time.he might actually be very quick for all we know...

#614 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:04

I for one am taken aback why Mercedes Benz has to convince Kimi prior him accepting a contract, that they have a winning car. Neither Ferrari or McLaren cannot guarantee that, so why we read this BS in the print? This is directed towards current WDCs?

I do not like that attitude. Kimi should know that people are not spending such coin to be second in ratings, and effort will be made to win. That should be enough for him.

#615 JeffrieNL

JeffrieNL

• 63 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:04

There is no hurry to find a driver for the stand in of Jenson Button.
We should in all the rest looking to a good candidate.
We would be stupid to contracted a new driver in panic.
Nick Fry like it to see Raikkonen in a Mercedes. As it to me is, Raikkonen drives tomorrow for us.
He has my phone number and can always call me. He knows from my preference.

Short translate in english from that dutch site.

#616 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:11

I for one am taken aback why Mercedes Benz has to convince Kimi prior him accepting a contract, that they have a winning car. Neither Ferrari or McLaren cannot guarantee that, so why we read this BS in the print? This is directed towards current WDCs?

I do not like that attitude. Kimi should know that people are not spending such coin to be second in ratings, and effort will be made to win. That should be enough for him.

The thing is, simulations are pretty accurate these days.
Remember that Brawn GP could tell they were faster in the beginning of the year, without having even turned a wheel on track.
So for sure, they will have a good approximation of the laptime improvement.

But I agree. The attictude I would like is for him is too really want to drive. The fire isn't burning for him it seems.
Or he has really low expectations from what Mercedes will be like next year.

#617 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:14

The thing is, simulations are pretty accurate these days.
Remember that Brawn GP could tell they were faster in the beginning of the year, without having even turned a wheel on track.
So for sure, they will have a good approximation of the laptime improvement.

But I agree. The attictude I would like is for him is too really want to drive. The fire isn't burning for him it seems.
Or he has really low expectations from what Mercedes will be like next year.

If this ain´t attitude, pls tell me what is..

"Q: There was a lot of speculation concerning the role salary played in Button’s switch to McLaren - and lots of reports suggesting the same team were unwilling to meet your pay demands. What is your position on bargaining for salary?
KR: I feel a good driver can make a bigger difference nowadays. If you look at how close the whole grid was this year, if a driver can lap two-tenths faster that is worth many positions on the grid. That could easily be the difference between winning and losing."

#618 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:17

I think Brawn/Merc will be strong next year, no reason to think they wouldn't be. So as far as that, I think Kimi would be happy in that team with a fighting chance, shouldn't be that hard to convince Kimi that they will be, at the very least, VERY competitive. I guess the money and other stuff are the issues.

I hope the Robertsons learned their lessons and start to realyze people won't bite on their bluffs anymore, and actually get this deal through. I think everyone ends up a winner with this deal, F1, the fans, the team, the driver, even Kimi's detractors, cus, what else are they going to do if he retires? lol

#619 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:21

Rudolph Waels, responsible for the investment director of Aabar, which owns 45,1% of shares in Mercedes GP, and is the largest shareholder of Daimler, said in an interview to UAE channel Sport Channel 2 that Kimi Raikkonen is the best option for their team.

According to him, the shareholders of the team are extremely interested in the successful performance of Mercedes GP next season, and are willing to invest the necessary funds to the team so that it will fight for both titles. However, Aabar regarded Kimi Raikkonen as a necessary component of success, because he is the only one available on the market drivers, who win races and World Championships.

According Vaelsa, negotiations between the managers of Raikkonen and team management are already going 3-4 days, and the parties are close to concluding a contract, and they need to settle only minor details. Strongly believe in the happy outcome of the case, however, it's not happened yet - as a stumbling block could be any small detail, but at the moment everything is going smoothly.

A related point of view is shared by Nick Fry, who is willing to invite Raikkonen in command even today: "We are not in haste through all the options - almost all of the free pilots want to take this place. But if the decision I took, it would take Kimi Raikkonen. As for me, so let them start work with us tomorrow. Unfortunately, all is not so simple. "

Source my native language speaking board so it's google translations.

upd. Corrected.

Well, well, well. Globo rules. :up:

Edited by Odvan, 20 November 2009 - 18:07.

Advertisement

#620 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:24

And he said something like what HAUG said some days ago.

He as my number and he can call me anytime...

Who does what he sees...?

BTW I am not Dutch but I have this feeling that I am not Double Dutching About what Fry said... :smoking:

#621 Mia 01

Mia 01

• 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:38

exactly, I was kind of rabbity there :kiss:

Hi there! I didn´t recognized you first. :wave: :clap:

Edited by Mia 01, 20 November 2009 - 16:38.

#622 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:40

seems like MS might take revenge on Kimi
bbc reports Jordan believes that MS will slip into the Mercedes seat.. now that will be some news...

#623 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:42

from odvan's post

According Vaelsa, negotiations between the managers of Raikkonen and team management are already 3-4 days, and the parties are close to concluding a contract, because We need to settle and only minor details. Strongly believe in the happy outcome of the case, however, not yet - as a stumbling block could be lyuaya trifle, but at the moment everything is going smoothly.

interesting he says 3-4 days as robertson confirmed his sabbatical on 18th.

Edited by grunge, 20 November 2009 - 16:45.

#624 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:43

bbc reports Jordan believes that MS will slip into the Mercedes seat.. now that will be some news...

:wave:

#625 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Yeah, a good choice to start their own team? To hire 41yo Ferrari boss with an injured neck. They can´t be that desperate. MS is one of the biggest ever. But a rain maker? Noup!

#626 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

i really dont believe that will happen..if he was so eager,he wouldve raced in 07

#627 Mia 01

Mia 01

• 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:50

He had way too much slow day for a supposedly top driver in 2007-2009.

GC

He he.
Nope. FA on the other hand.

#628 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:51

Not to mention that this comes from british media. They have been so anti-Kimi all the way long..

#629 sleenster

sleenster

• 308 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:52

Wouldn't hiring MS completely overshadow the Mercedes brand? Right now MS is associated more with Ferrari than anything else. If he goes to Brawn/Mercedes it's going to be the MS team, and nothing else.
Sometimes I get the impression EJ is talking out of his *ss.

Edited by sleenster, 20 November 2009 - 17:09.

#630 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:54

Not to mention that this comes from british media. They have been so anti-Kimi all the way long..

EJ doesn't like Kimi at all. Although there has been a lot of reporting about Kimi he conveniently ignores his name from the list.

#631 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:54

i just listened to EJ interview on bbc website... he seems to base all his thinking on having witnessed Mercedes Chief, Ross and MS in "deep conversation".... wonder whether that can all be extracted from witnessing a deep conversation... but then again.. what else could that deep conversation be about.. perhaps something other than F1...?

let's say for now its EJ speculating... and i'll just wait and see... but i dont see MS being unfit for the drive. it would be the incredible MS at work if he comes back...

Edited by glorius&victorius, 20 November 2009 - 16:55.

#632 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:55

*facepalm*

Schumacher will NOT be in F1 next year, neither will Raikkonen.

#633 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:56

*facepalm*

Schumacher will NOT be in F1 next year, neither will Raikkonen.

yes, and Jenson would never turn his back on Brawn GP and go to Mclaren....

#634 sleenster

sleenster

• 308 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:57

http://joesaward.wor...ael-schumacher/

So let's say MS does drive for Mercedes. Then 1-2 races in, he injures his neck. Now what?

Edited by sleenster, 20 November 2009 - 17:02.

#635 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:00

EJ is crazy and even if he wasn't Schumacher will not make a F1 comeback. Too much to loose.

#636 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:01

Nico hasn't been confirmed right? Maybe they will have Schumi and Kimi next year :drunk:

#637 Mia 01

Mia 01

• 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:01

While Brawn does not mention any [driver] names, Nick Fry is somewhat more open in stating his preference. "We will carefully consider the drivers that are suitable and available. Almost everyone [of those] would quite like the seat. If it were up to me to decide we would sign Kimi Raikkonen. He can start tomorrow as far as I am concerned. He knows of my preference, has my number and can call me anytime. I would happily welcome him as a new driver", says Nick Fry.

Dutch is not my first language, but I am pretty sure I can beat the Google robot.;)

Thanks.

This sounds sweeter than icecream!

#638 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:07

Wouldn't hiring MS completely overshadow the Mercedes brand? Right now MS is associated more with Ferrari than anything else. If he goes to Brawn/Mercedes it's going to the MS team, and nothing else.
Sometimes I get the impression EJ is talking out of his *ss.

Totally agree..

#639 Mia 01

Mia 01

• 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:07

Source my native language speaking board so it's google translations.

upd. Corrected.

Well, well, well. Globo rules. :up:

This is even better. I must be dreaming again.

Advertisement

#640 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:08

Nico hasn't been confirmed right? Maybe they will have Schumi and Kimi next year :drunk:

naah, they´ll propably come out with a big show with their new car and both drivers..

#641 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:09

Hope it happens. One of my favourite drivers at a team I like with a god as team principal.

With the added bonus of Nico Rosberg finally getting shown up...

Hope it happens.

Edited by kar, 20 November 2009 - 17:11.

#642 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:12

Theres no way anyone can assure him a ''competitive'' car at this point of preseason.

No, and yet this very thing keeps coming up. I think this is a ploy to hide the real reason why the deal with McLaren fell through; a performance clause. I think Kimi want a clause that will make him walk away if the car doesn't perform, and the team will not agree to it because it leaves them hanging in the middle of the season with only one contracted driver, similar to Ferrari's situation when Massa got injured. Kimi has said this one time too many, and I think this is the reason for his 'sabbatical'.

#643 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:14

naah, they´ll propably come out with a big show with their new car and both drivers..

You know Brawn also said they has new sponsors but sponsors wants to know who will drive - I think it should faster negotiations with Kimi.

Edited by Odvan, 20 November 2009 - 17:15.

#644 Nova

Nova

• 18,253 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:19

http://www.crash.net...sabbatical.html

Raikkonen rules out Mercedes, confirms F1 sabbatical
2007 F1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen has confirmed that he is not in talks with Mercedes Grand Prix and will not be on the grand prix grid in 2010 - and whilst he is open to returning, he acknowledges that he may have reached the end of the road

#645 JamesHunt

JamesHunt

• 303 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:20

Thats an old news for God's sake.

#646 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:20

You know Brawn also said they has sponsors but sponsors wants to know who will drive - I think it should faster negotiations with Kimi.

There are two seats available at Mercedes. If Schumi will take the another one it will be much easier to lure Kimi as well.. It would be a challenge for both of them.
I have lost my words..this silly season is getting weirder every day..

#647 GIBF1

GIBF1

• 585 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:21

I think you'll find that Kimi is well thought of by the fans and media in this country

(me, i'm neither here nor there when it comes to him but i recognise his talent)

#648 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:22

interesting he says 3-4 days as robertson confirmed his sabbatical on 18th.

This guy could spoil all show. Now I believe when real negotiations started we won't hear too much. Remember how Robertsons said till end Kimi has contract and stay in Ferrari.

And I might add Haug wouldn't think it's good idea driving vs Lois, Kimi, Fred, Massa and Seb. He knows how good really Kimi.

#649 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:28

There are two seats available at Mercedes. If Schumi will take the another one it will be much easier to lure Kimi as well.. It would be a challenge for both of them.
I have lost my words..this silly season is getting weirder every day..

Brawn himself said he has a feeling MS wants a short term returns and MS said it was emotional rather rational decision. And how he could leave his smaller brother against Fred? I have a feeling MS could be next team principal in Ferrari - he has excellent relations with Todt. So possibility of his comeback is zero.

Edited by Odvan, 20 November 2009 - 17:29.

#650 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 17:31

You know Brawn also said they has new sponsors but sponsors wants to know who will drive - I think it should faster negotiations with Kimi.

Closed negotiations can be proved to sponsors. Coming to publicity can wait..