• 3,418 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 13:46

**** that. :down:

Advertisement

#852 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 13:51

Thanks I somehow missed that through all the events today :)

#853 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 14:30

Fernandes all but confirmed deal with Renault, it should be indeed confirmed before next GP.

#854 RF1 fan

RF1 fan

• 400 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 14:37

jarno retired gearbox. oh well . making decsions easier

http://twitter.com/tonyfernandes

#855 UprightRacer

UprightRacer

• 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:03

Fernandes all but confirmed deal with Renault, it should be indeed confirmed before next GP.

BBC forum right? did u see kova's face... sniff a renault deal with him next year, a driver swap in exchange for pet and engines? thoughts?

#856 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:13

Tony Fernandes in conflict with Lotus Cars. Lotus cars has no control over Tony Fernandes and and Lotus Cars prohibits him from using Lotus Racing name.

But Tony Fernandes has contract with David HUnt, owner of Team Lotus brand.

What happens next? :)

#857 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:16

Yes, Fernandes will start using name Team Lotus, but without Lotus Cars support... financial troubles on horizont?

#858 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:22

Yes, Fernandes will start using name Team Lotus, but without Lotus Cars support... financial troubles on horizont?

No, Proton were only a part of the backing, Fernandes is clever enough to have plenty of financing.

#859 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:25

No, Proton were only a part of the backing, Fernandes is clever enough to have plenty of financing.

Not so sure! However, Lotus Cars wants to have team in F1, but Fernandes is too much independent for them. We will see!

Advertisement

#860 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:26

http://translate.goo...-ohrozeni-17999

#861 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:28

As far as I understand it, Lotus Cars demands, that Fernandes has no right to use name Lotus in whichever form...

#862 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 17:19

As far as I understand it, Lotus Cars demands, that Fernandes has no right to use name Lotus in whichever form...

A little unusual for Group Lotus to say so given that it's now 14 races into the season??

#863 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 17:24

It's all a bit silly, if the Lotus Cars versus Fernandez bit is true. However, I would understand if Proton isn't too happy with their Lotus-brand being associated with another major car manufacturer than their own. On the other hand, having a Formula One team doing better in the sport because of such a link-up, all the better for Lotus Cars and Proton, wouldn't you say?

#864 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 17:28

A little unusual for Group Lotus to say so given that it's now 14 races into the season??

That is the point. They now see it works and they want benefits from it. But they are not getting any, because Tony is doing it on his own.

#865 808Fail

808Fail

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 17:34

all seems a bit sad an silly :cry:

#866 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 17:51

all seems a bit sad an silly :cry:

I think what is sad is that there is no collaboration between Group Lotus and the F1 team. They've both operated independently with Group Lotus running their own single seater related activities - Indycar, Lotus Exos etc. There does not seem to be any real synergy and just a matter of convenience.

#867 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:12

One potential conflict that I have seen from the beginning for this team is that they announced that the team would be based in Malaysia in the future.

To me it looked like it was what the Malaysians want, but I can't see the Europeans in the team be happy about that move. I could bet that Gascoyne for example would try to convince them to stay in England. I'm sure that he understands the sponsorship issue so he knows he needs to tip-toe carefully around that topic.

#868 808Fail

808Fail

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:17

I think what is sad is that there is no collaboration between Group Lotus and the F1 team. They've both operated independently with Group Lotus running their own single seater related activities - Indycar, Lotus Exos etc. There does not seem to be any real synergy and just a matter of convenience.

Totally agree. If they can't sort this squabble out it would be such a shame for everyone

#869 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 19:00

:up: Nicely said what I am trying to say all the time ;) Sorry, my English sucks... We will see what the future brings, but Group Lotus would like to benefit more from F1 appearance. Especially with their like-F1 cars program and new sport cars production. They need F1 platform to promote their activities.

#870 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 19:15

Interesting to listen to Tony Fernandes on the BBC F1 Forum this afternoon. He gave the definite impression that they're happy with the Cosworth engine itself, but are really keen to get rid of other parts of the package. In particular, the awful X-Trac gearbox.

#871 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 20:35

Interesting link, Tomecek, but what is to 'neprofituje ' ? I have no idea, so someone please help!

Actually Lotus Racig does a great job and Lotus cars is not getting anything out from the achievements... Well what achievements, excuse me? Lotus racing is doing all right for a new team but it has still loong way to go upwards before it actually become a top runner.

Till then, keep your stable nice and clean guys..

#872 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:02

protože na nich nijak neprofituje = because they don't benefit from it :)

#873 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:26

Thanx a lot. Now I do understand it.

I can imagine that Guys who own the car company is not being bullied by Fernandesom...

#874 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:37

Cosworth has reached an agreement in principle with Lotus Racing whereby the team’s Cosworth engine supply agreement will come to a conclusion at the end of the current Formula One season. This agreement is subject to contract and until the agreement is signed, neither party will be making any further comment.

http://www.f1fanatic...-engine-supply/

#875 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:50

And here's the autosport link: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86677

Well we're set for Team Lotus - Renault next year :)

#876 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:58

Good news for lotus. I think the failures by Cosworth is just too much. I just pray they will be be mid team next year.....but please get rid of jarno ....too irritating for me.

#877 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:12

Good news for lotus. I think the failures by Cosworth is just too much. I just pray they will be be mid team next year.....but please get rid of jarno ....too irritating for me.

Seconded!!! Never disliked a driver so much!!

#878 Calorus

Calorus

• 4,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:19

I have: Giancarlo Fisichella - It's a shame, Italy makes some of the best cars, some of the most beautiful women and some of the most wonderful food. But, since Alboreto at least, its drivers have big mouths and small talents.

Personally, I'd like to see Chandhok in there.

#879 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,010 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:22

I simply don't get this.

Proton has a stake in 1Malaysia F1 Team Sdn. Bhd which runs Lotus Racing.

Proton owns Lotus Cars.

Why then do people say that Lotus Cars and Lotus Racing has no links. It clearly does through common ownership or am I missing something ?

Advertisement

#880 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:28

I think the failures by Cosworth is just too much

Let's clear this up as Fernandes did on the BBC earlier.

It's not Cosworth engine that is the problem, it's all the components that run with it from other suppliers: Xtrac gearbox as well as the hydraulics. A Renault engine deal isn't just that, it's the full package: gearbox, hydraulics and engine.

#881 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:26

I have: Giancarlo Fisichella - It's a shame, Italy makes some of the best cars, some of the most beautiful women and some of the most wonderful food. But, since Alboreto at least, its drivers have big mouths and small talents.

Personally, I'd like to see Chandhok in there.

Yeah sure a driver like that could never win a blue riband event like Monaco...

Both drivers deserve better equipment and hopefully next year is the start of that.

#882 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:31

It's not Cosworth engine that is the problem, it's all the components that run with it from other suppliers: Xtrac gearbox as well as the hydraulics. A Renault engine deal isn't just that, it's the full package: gearbox, hydraulics and engine.

Exactly. Williams has shown that the Cossie isn't the piece of junk that some people perceive it to be.

#883 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:23

I simply don't get this.

Proton has a stake in 1Malaysia F1 Team Sdn. Bhd which runs Lotus Racing.

Proton owns Lotus Cars.

Why then do people say that Lotus Cars and Lotus Racing has no links. It clearly does through common ownership or am I missing something ?

Proton has no 'stake' in the F1 team (1 Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd) other than the fact that it is a paying sponsor with stickers on the team. The team is privately funded and owned by Fernandes and his 2 business partners.

Thus, Proton owns and controls Group Lotus but they do not control Lotus Racing in any way.

#884 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:27

:up: And when the entire powertrain package is supplied by Renault, there would naturally be some collaboration with the rear aero package as well I'm sure. So probably expect the rear end body work to have a lot of similarities with Renault.

#885 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:15

:up: And when the entire powertrain package is supplied by Renault, there would naturally be some collaboration with the rear aero package as well I'm sure. So probably expect the rear end body work to have a lot of similarities with Renault.

I guess the whole nego started by replacing the gear box next year. Renault came strong in seducing Lotus with their engines. Lotus got in bed before Cossy said you horrible man get out of my bed, so to say. Now Lotus in love with Renalut power.

Fernandes might have work to do for this winter. A lot of Golfing with Lotus man, and should send Gazza for their garage and make them build a Gazza special. It all fine then because Lotus Cars get Super Lotus...

#886 Boothyuk

Boothyuk

• 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:26

As a life long Lotus fan, both Lotus cars and Team Lotus I cannot understand some of the anti-Fernandes sentiments being expressed on here. From nothing but distant memories of a once great team we have now TEAM LOTUS powered by Renault to look forward to in 2011. This is clearly a multi-year project with serious finanicial muscle and I expect sponsors will be much more interested after these recent announcements. Lotus Cars was always separate to Team Lotus (Chapman would never expose the racing team to the risk of being taken down by the car company failing) and they have a situation where they will benefit from being associated to a high profile F1 team with minimal financial risk. Tony Fernandes is to be commended for treating such a historic brand with such dignity and respect and I expect that the Chapman family feel the same.

#887 Kingandyb6

Kingandyb6

• 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:41

As a life long Lotus fan, both Lotus cars and Team Lotus I cannot understand some of the anti-Fernandes sentiments being expressed on here. From nothing but distant memories of a once great team we have now TEAM LOTUS powered by Renault to look forward to in 2011. This is clearly a multi-year project with serious finanicial muscle and I expect sponsors will be much more interested after these recent announcements. Lotus Cars was always separate to Team Lotus (Chapman would never expose the racing team to the risk of being taken down by the car company failing) and they have a situation where they will benefit from being associated to a high profile F1 team with minimal financial risk. Tony Fernandes is to be commended for treating such a historic brand with such dignity and respect and I expect that the Chapman family feel the same.

:up: I agree 100% - about time people accpeted that its better to have Team Lotus in whatever form they come than not at all...

#888 nsemple

nsemple

• 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:44

Exactly. Williams has shown that the Cossie isn't the piece of junk that some people perceive it to be.

Williams are now offering their gearbox and hydraulics package to the other new teams for next year are'nt they?

They would be mad not to IMO, most of the new teams failures have come from the gearbox / hyfraulic package currently offered with the Cossy engine.

#889 Burai

Burai

• 1,896 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 19:26

At the Classic Team Lotus festival there was so much love for Lotus Racing, Fernandes, Gazza and the drivers from the assembled hardcore and from the Chapman family. Regardless of what they were named, the true fans already saw Lotus Racing as the true successor to Team Lotus anyway. The name change is just the story coming full circle.

#890 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 19:49

This team is clearly trying to bank on the prestige of the Lotus name and I find it grating. From now on I'll be referring to them as Litespeed.

#891 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:00

Yeah sure a driver like that could never win a blue riband event like Monaco...

Both drivers deserve better equipment and hopefully next year is the start of that.

Trulli historically has been a won lap wonder, great at qualifying useless in the race "trulli train!" lol Olivier Panis won in Monte Carlo! Granted the majority of the top runners were still in the mix when Trulli won, but he's a won hit wonder!! Is juvenile outbursts throwing tantrums in press conferences throw his photos around after the Sutil Brazil incident! He just annoys me!

#892 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:02

I couldn't agree more with this post. As F1 fans we can only be very happy that the Lotus name is back in F1 and Fernandes is doing a very good job right now, it's impressive that they managed to build an F1 team in such a short timespan and the colours of the car reflect a respect for the history of Lotus in F1. With Trulli & Kovalainen they've also invested in a quality line-up. They could also have taken two pay drivers but they didn't.

#893 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:04

This team is clearly trying to bank on the prestige of the Lotus name and I find it grating. From now on I'll be referring to them as Litespeed.

This team is using name Lotus because the right owners agreed to this. This team may not have too much in common with the old TEAM LOTUS, but they brought the Lotus name back to the sport. At the beginning I had negative attitude towards them but as the season progresses, their credibility as the Lotus team rises (in my eyes at least). Now, I wish them all the best and I'm sure that with this kind of progress, in few years time noone will deny their credibility as TEAM LOTUS. Great job guys. :up:

#894 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:05

Litespeed has completely nothing to do with the current Lotus F1 team, nothing at all. Their link with Lotus is that Litespeed is owned by two former Lotus F1 engineers and that they tried to enter F1 last year under the Lotus name together with Gascoyne. When their bid failed Gascoyne went to Fernandes and did a new bid with the Malaysia1 team but that second bid that was succesful had nothing to do with Litespeed anymore!

#895 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:29

cosworth engine is pretty decent, its the gearbox/hydrolics which have been unreliable. cosworth have had a engine or two break, but i think they said it was because something else failed. in bahrain senna's engine expired because the pipe going to the radiator came off

its way more about the gearbox, hydrolics and other bits and bobs. design is probably much easier to

#896 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 21:37

Litespeed has completely nothing to do with the current Lotus F1 team, nothing at all. Their link with Lotus is that Litespeed is owned by two former Lotus F1 engineers and that they tried to enter F1 last year under the Lotus name together with Gascoyne. When their bid failed Gascoyne went to Fernandes and did a new bid with the Malaysia1 team but that second bid that was succesful had nothing to do with Litespeed anymore!

The litespeed f3 team run as a junior Lotus team, I believe.

#897 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,746 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 22:10

The Chapman family are happy for them to use the Lotus name so can see no reason not to respect that.

I'm really warming to the team. Fernandes gave a great interview on the BBC and I liked the plans he outlined. I think they will do the lotus name proud.

#898 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 22:16

I think the Renault move is clever, it's a car they will grow into the next couple of years. I don't expect much in the near future (maybe challenging torro rosso and sauber), but I think with the lightness it may prop itself mid table in 5 years.

#899 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:04

The litespeed f3 team run as a junior Lotus team, I believe.

No. The Junior Lotus Team is competing in the Renault World Series and is run by Mofaz Racing. The team is owned by Fairuz Fauzy's family. However there is no link operationally between the junior team and Lotus Racing. Just brand sharing.

Litespeed is competing in F3 on its own

Advertisement

#900 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:28

Well, I seriously hope to see sir Branson as an Air asia flight attendant, so congrats and good luck;)

+1 !

Tony and Mike seem to be wanting to take this team places. Congrats to them getting the Renault lumps and bumps as well has getting the rights and blessings to use the Team Lotus name.

Cheers