• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 00:32

Argentina back on FIA GT1 calendar

Posted Image

The FIA has ratified the Potrero de los Funes circuit in Argentina's return to the GT1 World Championship calendar, as predicted by this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

The dramatic semi-permanent circuit, near the city of San Luis, had been due to kick off the new championship in March before being axed for financial reasons. But now FIA GT boss Stephane Ratel has brokered a last minute deal to get the event back.

"I went to the governor [of San Luis province] and said I wasn't prepared to leave it," said Ratel. "We have finalised a deal with Interlagos, so it made sense to have a Brazilian/Argentinian double-header."

San Luis was first used by the FIA GT Championship in 2008, when its highly-challenging layout around a volcanic lake proved a huge hit with drivers. It was dropped this year as Ratel felt the additional cost of the long-haul trip would be tough for teams to afford in the last year of the existing rules package.

The definitive World GT1 calendar approved by the World Motor Sport Council on Friday features 10 rounds rather than the 12 originally planned. The mooted Canadian meeting is no longer on the schedule, which means GT1 will not visit North America in 2010, and the Chinese and Hungarian events have also been shelved for next year.

But the race in Durban in South Africa is still on the calendar, although it has moved from its original April date to November.

2010 FIA GT1 World Championship
4/4 ARE Yas Marina
2/5 GBR Silverstone
23/5 CZE Brno
4/7 FRA* Paul Ricard
1/8 BEL Spa-Francorchamps
29/8 DEU Nurburgring
19/9 PRT Portimao
7/11 ZAF* Durban
28/11 BRA Interlagos
5/12 ARG San Luis

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/80560

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#2 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 252 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:44

It's a brilliant track, I wish f1 would take it up, but atleast we get to see some GT racing on there :)

#3 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:53

What track in durban are they planning on using??

#4 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:51

I guess the A1, Kyalami is better though. With Kyalami the FIA GT calender would be totally awesome!
Congrats to Argentina, definitely one of the very best tracks in the world. I hope we will have more onboards from the race, last year I watch the race only because of the track and it was my 1st GT only race in a lot of time.

#5 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 20:10

Never Forget this racetrack..!!

:clap:

#6 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 20:26

Never Forget this racetrack..!!

:clap:

The cars really look fantastic on the track. When you see videos like that, you have to wonder what the organisers of the series were thinking going to places like adria and oschersleben.

#7 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 21:08

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 ApexTomi

ApexTomi

• 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 21:28

fantastic circuit! Fell in love when I saw it first time in 2008. TC2000's season finale was there a couple of weeks ago.. How much has it been used this year?

#9 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 14:41

The cars really look fantastic on the track. When you see videos like that, you have to wonder what the organisers of the series were thinking going to places like adria and oschersleben.

Yeah, yeah... YOU ARE RIGTH!!!!

Wtf thinking this guys??

:mad:

#10 depailler on tyrrell p34

depailler on tyrrell p34

• 314 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 15:29

Yeah, yeah... YOU ARE RIGTH!!!!

Wtf thinking this guys??

:mad:

adria is 40km far from my home...it's a small track yes..but from the stands you can see all the track and enjoy a lot the race..
and adria have a lots of room for teams,truck, hospitality, parking..have also an hotel inside over the boxes.
I have saw a lot of beautiful race in adria...and I don't understand why this year is not in the calendar..ratel said the the fia gt will stay in the calendar long time...and now..we don't have any race in italy!

#11 ApexTomi

ApexTomi

• 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 19:06

adria is 40km far from my home...it's a small track yes..but from the stands you can see all the track and enjoy a lot the race..
and adria have a lots of room for teams,truck, hospitality, parking..have also an hotel inside over the boxes.
I have saw a lot of beautiful race in adria...and I don't understand why this year is not in the calendar..ratel said the the fia gt will stay in the calendar long time...and now..we don't have any race in italy!

it's an OK circuit but it needs character. It's a circuit that you can't remember you know. It lacks something special but this is just my opinion.

#12 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 21:41

All stuffs ready for receive the GT1 race in Potrero de Funes.,

Believe me., we are working hard., the european drivers will fall in love for Potrero.,

Regards

Edited by Repco von Brabham, 03 June 2010 - 21:42.

#13 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,135 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 22:04

I take it Hermann Tilke was on holiday when this was designed???

Now that is a Circuit!!

#14 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:44

I take it Hermann Tilke was on holiday when this was designed???

Now that is a Circuit!!

You bet that!!..

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#15 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 21:24

Perhaps there is a circuit more beautiful than this??

Posted Image

#16 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 21:30

Perhaps there is a circuit more beautiful than this??

Trust me. It love :love:

#17 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 21:37

I'd say this is one of the best tracks in the world. Ever. And considering it's a new circuit. That makes it even more suprising

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 22:20

And considering it's a new circuit. That makes it even more suprising

It's not. I believe it was first built in 1987, but racing eventually stopped, it fell into disrepair and it was rebuilt twenty years later with only minor changes.

#19 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 22:35

It's not. I believe it was first built in 1987, but racing eventually stopped, it fell into disrepair and it was rebuilt twenty years later with only minor changes.

Well you learn something new every day!

Advertisement

#20 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 23:04

When you see videos like that, you have to wonder what the organisers of the series were thinking going to places like adria and oschersleben.

I can kinda see why Adria isn't everybody's favourite circuit in the world (even though it's fabulous in the dark), but what's wrong with Oschersleben? I find it much more interesting than most of the tracks in F1, and those twisty bits give good passing opportunities for GTs and touring cars. Plus weather is usually pretty showery, too.

Shame we lost Oschersleben, but at least it's still on WTCC calendar...

#21 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 23:22

"Minor changes"..???

:eek:

You are extremely WRONG..,

Already explained many times here that the circuit for the FIA GT event was built back in 2008 with an investment of 25 million dollars.,

How often should explain that??..

http://forums.autosp...w...c=96502&hl=

http://history.fiagt...em.php?key=1426

Kind regards

#22 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:24

You are extremely WRONG..,

Already explained many times here that the circuit for the FIA GT event was built back in 2008 with an investment of 25 million dollars.,

How often should explain that??..

Really?

The Lago Potrero de los Funes circuit is a race track originally constructed in 1987, and rebuilt in 2008. It is located 14 km (8.7 mi) from San Luis, capital city of the San Luis Province, Argentina. The circuit is semi-permanent, with a length of 6.27 km (3.90 mi). It was created by modifying the ring road that encircles Lake Potrero de los Funes, at the course's center.

And also:

The track's layout has changed slightly from its original layout. It appears that the curve prior to where the pits are now was tightened to create a more pronounced corner ahead of the pits, and perhaps to reduce speeds on the racing line going past the new pit exit. On the opposite side of the lake, where start/finish used to be located, a chicane has been added at the first high speed bend along that stretch. Also, on the initial descending run along the lake, there has been another chicane added to reduce speeds into the following corner that has limited run-off. Therefore, the original course had slightly shorter length of 6.186km (3.844mi).

I believe the circuit was built in 1987, but fell into disrepair due to underuse. It may have only had a lifespan of two or three years. Whatever the case, it appears to have lain dormant for the better part of twenty years before being rennovated in 2008. Just look at the old Hockenheim - once it was abandoned, nature reclaimed it very quickly. Today, the only way to tell where the road went is because the growth is lower across the circuit than in the adjacent forest. So in a way, we're both right: the circuit was built in 1987, was erased and subsequently rebuilt.

Also, the articles you linked to back me up more than you:

As shown in the photo, work is now well underway on the remodelling of the semi-permanent Potrero de los Funes circuit in the Province of San Luis, Argentina. The works were visted last week by the current Governor of the Province, Dr. Alberto Rodriguez Saa.

The circuit, which circumnavigates the lake of the same name, will be nearly 7 km long. The first work is taking place in the western zone, which will be the section that will take the most time. The work should be finished in July 2008. Plans are underway for a round of the FIA GT Championship to be held at the new circuit, once the work and homologation is complete.

How can they remodel a circuit if it never existed before then?

#23 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:58

Landscapes around the track are amazing but the track itself well ... its just a modern track, awfuly wide, with huge run off areas.

Bathurst is the last real men racetrack. :p Make a mistake, and you're either in the wall or in the sandtrap.

Edited by GSiebert, 09 August 2010 - 07:58.

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:45

I can kinda see why Adria isn't everybody's favourite circuit in the world (even though it's fabulous in the dark), but what's wrong with Oschersleben? I find it much more interesting than most of the tracks in F1, and those twisty bits give good passing opportunities for GTs and touring cars. Plus weather is usually pretty showery, too.

Shame we lost Oschersleben, but at least it's still on WTCC calendar...

Oschersleben's dreadful... it's a tight, dull, flat, grey track with no redeaming features whatosever except for an alright mid-speed S. Never enjoyed it on racing sims and it doesn't look any good for overtaking on paper - admitedly I've never watched much real life racing there because all the series that race there are uninteresting.

This Potrero de los Funes track looks better on paper than it is, the pics I've seen of it makes it seem like they built it to F1's Valencia track specifications - it's a sea of tarmac surrounded by big blocks of grey walls. The background is breathtaking and the track looks quite flowing on paper, so it's a bit disappointing that they made it this way. I suppose safety is above all, but still.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,732 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 17:02

How can they remodel a circuit if it never existed before then?

I think Repco von B meant the changes to the racing facility were pretty major. Even if the roads point in the same direction now and 25 years ago, I can well believe that an international racetrack in 2010 would be a world apart from an Argentinian roads circuit from 1987. The circuit itself of Assen between, say, 1971 and 2001 is near identical, but to actually spectate and ride there, there couldn't be more difference.

#26 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 23:29

I think Repco von B meant the changes to the racing facility were pretty major. Even if the roads point in the same direction now and 25 years ago, I can well believe that an international racetrack in 2010 would be a world apart from an Argentinian roads circuit from 1987. The circuit itself of Assen between, say, 1971 and 2001 is near identical, but to actually spectate and ride there, there couldn't be more difference.

By example, this section (and five others) is completely NEW:

We had to build the beams and support separately, and then stick it into the mountain, and then build the track above them ..
And then build the stands, and high-complexity hospital..,
LOOK THE picture:

Posted Image

What you see now? .. total expenditure of $ 25 million dollars.,

It is not difficult to understand.,

Kind regards

Edited by Repco von Brabham, 10 August 2010 - 23:31.

#27 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:32

Hi there!!

A new chicane is being built now in Potrero Funes circuit, that is done at the request of the FIA.
The work will be completed in 15 days.

http://www.eldiariod...x...36&Itemid=9

See you in 40 days..,

kind regards

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:10

Where on the circuit is it being added? And why? Most of us don't read Spanish.

#29 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:08

Where on the circuit is it being added? And why? Most of us don't read Spanish.

What??... in the middle of the XXI century, in the midst of globalization, with more than 700 million Spanish speakers in the world??.. you don't speak Spanish?

Ohhh, if the Armada Invincible had not failed..,

Back on the bussiness:

the link text says:

"The Head of Roads and Pathways Program provincial Carlos Bassi, by the circuit, he said: "The track is in excellent condition. We have to paint it in full, slowing down in a sector with a chicane and concreting two slopes within the Potrero to have no problems with heavy vehicle traffic. They are only small jobs and we all efforts. "

The chicane is being built on the outskirts of north fast corner, entering the longest straight of the circuit.

Kind regards

Edited by Repco von Brabham, 24 October 2010 - 01:09.

#30 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 22:14

What??... in the middle of the XXI century, in the midst of globalization, with more than 700 million Spanish speakers in the world??.. you don't speak Spanish?

No, I don't speak Spanish. I can speak English and Russian (though I can't read the latter fluently) and I know a little bit of Romanian. It's naive of you to assume that simply because there are 700 million Spanish-speakers in the world that everyone on this forum can. Especially since this is a predominantly-English forum. There is, after all, a reason why all posts are made in English. 700 million might sound like an impressive number, but there are 6 billion people worldwide, which means Spanish-speakers account for just 11% of the world's population

#31 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 22:32

You realise you could have translated the page in the time it took to have that little bitch? lol.

I'm surprised they could do all of that to the circuit for just $25 mil. Here or in the states it would have cost a couple of hundred.

#32 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:32

Most reasonable circuits cost like this, only F1 circuits are expensive & I've always strongly suspected some corrupt practices behind this. It's just insane when you see these tracks & someone tells you it costs 200 mil EU when it's built right in the middle of nowhere!
Street tracks are even worse, especially compared to what IndyCar pays for what is the same.
I guess this is the reason why Mr. E prefers to deal with governments, it's never hard to find corrupted politicians especially in emerging markets.

Edited by ivanalesi, 25 October 2010 - 22:35.

#33 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:50

Posted Image

#34 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:54

José Lopez joins Young Driver for San Luis
Posted Image

Argentine driver Jose Maria Lopez will join the Young Driver Aston Martin team for the final round of the series at San Luis.

Lopez, 27, will share the No.8 car with Stefan Mücke.
“We are fighting for the world championship in Argentina. Darren (Turner) and Tomas (Enge) are the only two drivers, who can challenge the championship leaders and we also aim for the second place in the team championship," Young Driver AMR principal Hardy Fischer explains.

“The track is new to most of the teams and drivers, so we decided to take advantage of having one local driver with track knowledge in the team. José María will replace Christoffer Nygaard in the No.8 car in Argentina.

"It was a tough decision to change the drivers for the last round, but with this championship being so tight and having so limited practise time, we think it will be an advantage for our entire team to have someone with a good track knowledge on board.

"José María knows the track from the FIA GT Championship in 2008 and on the personal side, he worked with our engineer Johannes Gruber in the past.”

Lopez raced in the Formula 3000 and GP2 series from 2004 to 2006. In 2007, he went back to his native country to race in the highly popular national TC2000 touring car championship. López won the championship twice, in 2008 und 2009. In 2008 he also competed in the FIA GT Championship and in the American Le Mans Series with Ferrari.

Turner and Enge are second in the driver points standings, 28 points behind the championship leader and are the only two drivers who can still challenge the championship leaders - Vitaphone Maserati's Andrea Bertolini and Michael Bartels, for the world championship honours.

“The two races in Argentina will not be very easy, as we expect it to be very hot there," Fischer says.
"We remain optimistic and will give out best. Darren and Tomas have a tough job to do, but you never know what will happen. In the team championship, our goal now is to finish our first season in GT1 racing in the runner up spot.“

At the final round of the GT1 World Championship in Argentina,
Young Driver AMR will be supported by both Union Engineering (http://www.union.dk) and Zegg Watches & Jewellery (http://www.zegg.ch).

http://www.gt1world....er-for-san-luis

Salu2

#35 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:38

José Pechito López on Pole Position in San Luis

Posted Image

Strong>Jose Maria Lopez has taken pole position for the Qualifying Race at the Potrero de los Funes circuit ahead of Frederic Makowiecki and Andrea Bertolini. The Young Driver AMR Aston Martin DBR9 was quickest in all three parts of the qualifying.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Despite the rain earlier in the day the lap times in the first part of the qualifying session were quickere than the times set in the free practice session. Halfway the first session it was Matech Competition’s Richard Westbrook who was quickest in 2:16.193. Soon after his team mate Neel Jani moved up into second place and one minute later Maxime Martin went third quickest in his Marc VDS Racing Team Ford GT.

With just over nine minutes left on the the clock in Q1 Jose Maria Lopez was the first driver to go into the 2:15s as the Argentinean driver set a 2:15.276. Maxime Martin improved his lap time as well and moved into second place after setting a 2:16.034.

Instead of seven cars not making it into the second qualifying session there were just 5 ‘losers’ today, thanks to the Mad Croc cars not taking part. Marc Hennerici in the only remaining Corvette in the series did just enough to make sure that his car would make it into Q2. In the final minutes Hennerici and Bernoldi were outside the top sixteen, but faster lap times meant they eventually secured their places in the second part of qualifying. Bernoldi’s last lap meant that Darren Turner did not make it – the Briton having the disadvantage of 40kg success ballast. Also out after Q1 were the Nissan of Campbell-Walter and the Ford GT of Markus Palttala. The two Swiss Racing Team Nissan’s were 20th and 21st, over 2 seconds slower than Lopez.

Before the GT1 qualyfing, was the TC 2000 Super-Qualy., look the beatiful circuit!!!!
Posted Image

In the second qualifying session it was the same story at the beginning. Ricardo Risatti was the first to set a fast lap time, but soon the Ford GT’s went quicker. First it was Bas Leinders who went to the top, followed moments later by the #6 of Nicolas Armindo.
The Ford wouldn’t be at the top for a long time as the two Reiter Lamborghini’s were the first cars to go into the 2:16s in Q2, Haase four tenths quicker than Jimenez.

Just a few minutes remained when the Young Driver AMR Aston Martin DBR9 #8 posted another 2:15 and went to the top of the timing screens. Stefan Mücke’s lap time just over four tenths quicker than the first of the two Lamborghini’s.
Michael Krumm moved into third with less than a minute on the clock – much to the delight of his team after a spin in the opening minutes of the session. Once again the final minutes turned out to be hectic with drivers being bumped out of the top eight and then recovering on their final lap. As the final car crossed the line it meant that Altfrid Heger, Marc Basseng, Alex Margaritis, Miguel Ramos, Bas Leinders, Nico Verdonck, Thomas Mutsch and NIcolas Armindo did not make it into the final part of qualifying.

Three Lamborghini’s, three Aston Martins, one Nissan and one Maserati then battled it out for pole position in the final ten minutes of qualifying. Frederic Makowiecki and Jimenez had just posted lap times well within 2:15 when Lopez spun his Young Driver AMR #8, ruining a strong first fast lap. Fortunately the Aston stayed clear of the concrete walls. On the next lap Makowiecki posted a 2:14.764, but behind him Lopez was on an even quicker run and at the end of the lap he stopped the clocks in 2:14.406.
None of the other drivers managed to beat Lopez’ time in their final laps, resulting in pole position for the Argentinean driver and the Young Driver AMR team. Makowiecki remained in second place, with Andrea Bertolini securing third place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image