Autosport diary stickers...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:41

Hello,

Anyone know if Autosport are doing those diary stickers for 2010?

They are really very handy for planning one's motorsport year!

P

Advertisement

#2 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:16

Hi Potmotr,

You should receive these in an issue in late January.
Hope this helps
David

#3 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:54

Hi Potmotr,

Hope this helps
David

Just the answer I was looking for!

Thank you very much mate, and Merry Christmas to the team.

#4 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 16:37

Hi Potmotr,

Hope this helps
David

Hi David, is this still happening?
regards.

#5 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 23:43

So I guess these stickers aren't happening then? :confused:

#6 Ginga

Ginga

• 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:22

Sorry everyone, it would appear that my not being fully in the offline loop has made me appear to feed you duff info.

I was blissfully unaware that they had been put back to the issue of February 18. :blush:
FYI, dates on there will include F1, WRC, LMS, BTCC and other key UK motorsport event dates

David

#7 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:04

Thanks David, it looks as though I may see them before the first GP, always provided of course that the subs dept remember to include them this year.

#8 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:29

Thanks David,
Sorry to moan about those stickers, but they're blood handy for someone who uses an old school paper diary like myself!
Cheers!
P

#9 Ginga

Ginga

• 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:13

Not at all. I use a paper diary too!

And it's good to know there is still a demand for them in this digital age.

#10 Ginga

Ginga

• 121 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 16:35

I have in my hand... a set of AUTOSPORT Diary Stickers. :clap:

Available with this weeks issue (Feb 18)

#11 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 20:20

Can these be easily applied to my Google Calendar? :confused:

#12 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 23:16

Good Lord, praise be!

Cheers for staying on the case! :)

#13 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 23:17

Can these be easily applied to my Google Calendar? :confused:

Your what now? :confused:

#14 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:56

Your what now? :confused:

Merely ribbing those of you who still carry around paper diaries. Next you'll be telling me you still own a Filofax...

#15 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:55

Merely ribbing those of you who still carry around paper diaries. Next you'll be telling me you still own a Filofax...

*rolls through his filofax*

What do you mean?

#16 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 18:17

The Rally Finland sticker has the event down as July 26-28 when it's July 29-31?

#17 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:28

The Rally Finland sticker has the event down as July 26-28 when it's July 29-31?

Yep, was about to post that too.

The date is wrong.

#18 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:20

Diary? Those bad boys are going on my Top Gear calender.

#19 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:15

Arrived this morning, great. I can get back to normal now, if there is such a thing. Thanks Autosport. :)

Advertisement

#20 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 15:26

Will Autosport be producing these this year, 2011. Hoping so. thanks in anticipation.

#21 Rusty7

Rusty7

• 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:18

Will Autosport be producing these this year, 2011. Hoping so. thanks in anticipation.

let's hope so!!
last year they came out late February I think, whereas used to be in January.
Hope that they still do them - any word yet on whether they will?
:-)

#22 JimFosterAutosport

JimFosterAutosport
  • Former digital product manager

• 73 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:44

Hi guys

I realise that the diary stickers have been very popular: but I'm sorry to say that, at the moment, this year it looks like they won't be happening.

Put basically, they are not financially viable unless we get them sponsored (these days we don't sell any extra copies of Autosport on the newsstands as a result of the stickers). And advertisers don't want to sponsor them because they feel no-one uses them. That they're old-hat.

However, the final decision hasn't been made yet, so if you guys really feel that strongly about it and can demonstrate some mass-customer power that might change the minds of senior management, let me know...

Jim

#23 TonyS2

TonyS2

• 41 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 14:18

Jim,

That's a great shame that it is not planned to produce the stickers any more. Myself and my girlfriend (both subscribers to the mag) certainly use them for two - we stick them on our calendars. Yes, some people still use paper calendars !
I wonder how the advertisers have come to the conclusion that no one uses them. Have they asked buyers or subscribers of the magazine? There is a clear contradiction in your post, which I'm sure you can see - that the diary stickers have been very popular, but no one uses them according to advertisers. Hmm !

What I would say is that maybe the number of stickers could be reduced - perhaps just have them for the World Championship events - F1, and WRC - rather than including IRL, F3/GT, BTCC etc. - might save some costs? Then again, some people may make use of those ones too.

Please, let's keep the stickers !!

#24 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,728 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 14:20

If they were doing them I'd buy a copy especially!

#25 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:55

Maybe you could spend the money on getting the magazines delivered on a Thursday?

#26 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 17:12

Just yet another nail in my Autosport coffin. If the, on occasion, awful journalism weren't enough, the small personal touches like this are also vanishing. Haven't missed an Autosport since '67, but the reduction in quality, coupled with recent terribly inconsistent delivery patterns, I shan't be renewing my subscription.
Sad really, but of course, those that are in control wont give a ****.

#27 Rusty7

Rusty7

• 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:51

Just yet another nail in my Autosport coffin. If the, on occasion, awful journalism weren't enough, the small personal touches like this are also vanishing. Haven't missed an Autosport since '67, but the reduction in quality, coupled with recent terribly inconsistent delivery patterns, I shan't be renewing my subscription.
Sad really, but of course, those that are in control wont give a ****.

Unfortunately Autosport just gets worse and worse...

They can hardly blame the dwindling numbers sold when the journalism is so poor nowdays, and the subscription means nothing - they take your money yet still you see the mag in WH Smiths before it arrives through the subscribers door.

Things like the diary stickers made a difference - I had drastically cut back buying the mag yet bought this issue just for the stickers. To say that no-one uses them is bizarre to say the least - how many diaries / calendars / wall planners are sold each Christmas across the UK.
Have they bothered to research and ask readers - er no!

What a shame that this institution of Motorsport is disappearing up its own a***.
:-(

#28 TonyS2

TonyS2

• 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:56

They can hardly blame the dwindling numbers sold when the journalism is so poor nowdays, and the subscription means nothing - they take your money yet still you see the mag in WH Smiths before it arrives through the subscribers door.

Things like the diary stickers made a difference - I had drastically cut back buying the mag yet bought this issue just for the stickers. To say that no-one uses them is bizarre to say the least - how many diaries / calendars / wall planners are sold each Christmas across the UK.
Have they bothered to research and ask readers - er no!

What a shame that this institution of Motorsport is disappearing up its own a***.
:-(

To be fair, I don't think it's right to say that subscription means nothing. Subscribers get the magazine at a significantly lower price than the cover price, plus free access to the Subscriber Only areas of the website. That's why I stopped buying it weekly from a newsagent and started subscribing about 10 years or so ago. However, it is true, as others have also noted, that delivery dates do seem to be quite inconsistent lately. Time was when it would always arrive on a Thursday. Now it sometimes doesn't arrive till Saturday or even Monday. However, I don't know whether this is Haymarket's fault or just the postal system. Do we know if Haymarket have changed anything in their distribution processes? I honestly don't know.

I do agree totally with you and others about the stickers though. They are a personal touch which adds to the enjoyment of the magazine, and I don't believe the advertisers have done any real research into whether people use them or not. Probably just made an assumption !

#29 JimFosterAutosport

JimFosterAutosport
  • Former digital product manager

• 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 18:06

Thanks for all your replies. I will be forwarding them on to the powers that be to look at... the diary stickers aren't dead just yet.

Oh, and I am aware of the contradiction in my previous post. But it's also true: advertisers do not seem to be interested in this sponsorship opportunity, it has been pitched, believe me. And we are aware of the stickers' popularity.

Jim

#30 TonyS2

TonyS2

• 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 15:32

Thanks for your reply Jim.
Hope something can be done !