Photo

Am I alone?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:27

This may sound like the I am too old and over the hill but am I the only person who thinks that this new way of having the first comment printed out and then a long list of one-liners with everyone elses comments is not only annoying but puts me off trying to read them ?

As we know, int he past, we had all the comments shown and you could scan through them and then jump back to the main menu. Now you have to open up each one individually only to find it is some stupid three word comment and so you open the next one etc. Then, to cap it all, you have to delete every one you have opened individually to get back to the main menu.

I want to view all the messages in one string like before. Can someone tell me how to do this and why was it changed in the first place ?

Grumpy Scotsman, France.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:36

Graham, if you click on OPTIONS just to the top right of the main window click on STANDARD when the menu drops down. I think this may solve it.

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:55

Graham, if you click on OPTIONS just to the top right of the main window click on STANDARD when the menu drops down. I think this may solve it.

Thank you Barry, you are a star, and now a paid up member of Help the Aged !!!!

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:02

Help them? I AM one!

#5 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:42

Thank you Barry, you are a star, and now a paid up member of Help the Aged !!!!

May I add my thanks as well . Its been driving me mad and now thanks to Barry ,it's back to its good old self .

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 19:03

This has been just about the ONLY new-tech embuggerance involved with TNF which I actually managed to correct on my own, without posting a heartfelt bleat about someone having tinkered with a perfectly workable system and thereby costing me hours of rage! I really sympathise Graham and llm, been there..got the cardigan...and it really cheesed me off too.

DCN

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 19:42

The most annoying thing is that it keeps slipping back

I must have 're-optioned' mine three or four times. Which at least means I now remember what to do without scratching my head, and it is an easy fix :)

#8 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 20:47

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. I took the Atlas skin straight away ( don't assume I am computer literate, but as soon as it went to blue and everyone whinged and the atlas option was back, with instructions, I went for it).

Everything seems to be normal, and has been since the change.

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:03

It's to do with the way the threads are displayed. If you click on the 'Options' button on the right of the thread title bar, you'll find there are three 'Display Modes' available- Outline, Standard and Linear+. The Standard mode is the one most of us seem to prefer, but sometimes for some reason the wretched system arbitrarily resets it to one of the others, which naturally causes confusion. It's happened to me quite a few times since the software upgrade.

#10 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 22:58

Funny, it's never done that to me. I wonder why.

#11 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 13:37

The most annoying thing is that it keeps slipping back

I must have 're-optioned' mine three or four times. Which at least means I now remember what to do without scratching my head, and it is an easy fix :)

Why don't you do like I do? I never Log Out, so I never have that problem. :lol:

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 14:17

I never log out either. But I still occasionally have the problem

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 14:21

I've never had this problem (famous las words).

I always log out. I have set up a Favourite and come straight to TNF, bypassing the Autosport homepage, which may explain it.

#14 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 14:42

The only time it's happened to me is after a browser software update.

#15 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:46

The only time it's happened to me is after a browser software update.

Thank you to all the helpful old geezers - and especially to Graham Gauld, who raised the subject.

I am an infrequent visitor these days and the time-wasting caused by this new technology was enough to make me a "never" visitor.

Now for a quick browse...

#16 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:47

Well thank goodness for that. I thought it was just me refusing to 'move with the times'. Yes it was infuriating. Mind you a lot of things infuriate me these days. I'm glad to have been told how to get the old system back.

#17 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:54

I don't have this problem - then I always stay logged in, it's been on my favorites list as Atlas bulletin board since I joined, and have the Atlas skin since the 'upgrade'.

#18 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 23:54

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. I took the Atlas skin straight away ( don't assume I am computer literate, but as soon as it went to blue and everyone whinged and the atlas option was back, with instructions, I went for it).

Everything seems to be normal, and has been since the change.

Wow, condor, thanks a lot - I never was aware so far that we could have the Atlas skin - now the whole thing looks classy again! :up:

post scriptum: I had to search a while for that option, it´s on the lower left corner...