Photo

Senna in a Sinclair C5

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:33

As the Oulton Park Gold Cup 2010 has informed us that 2010 is the 25th anniversary of the Sinclair C5 I thought it might be an appropriate time to post the following 2 images.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

They where taken at the Silverstone GP in 1985, probably on the Thursday.

I am not sure if they are appropriate for TNF but I think they qualify as nostalgia on 3 counts.

1. Some people get nostalic about Senna
2. There are probably some who get nostalgic about the C5
3. It takes me back to the pre Stalag Silverstone days when the marshals at the GP used to camp on the circuit infield and could wander round the pitlane and paddock in the days leading up to the GP without any hassle.

I have tried looking on Google for Senna and C5 and can only come up with one other image - that on Jim Bamber's website http://www.thejimbam...bamberblog/?p=4

I have managed to find the third photo of Senna in the C5. I think it is the best of the three.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 19 January 2010 - 09:30.

Advertisement

#2 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:36

Wow JPS livery makes everything look cool!

Thanks for posting!

Edited by rallen, 15 January 2010 - 14:36.

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:45

Wasn't the reason for the run in the C5s due to the early morning fog stopping the Medical Helicopter getting airbourne? With a major delay JPS Lotus started to muck about with the C5s so the spectators up at the start/finish had something to watch!

:wave:

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:51

Lovely archive stuff, away from the mainstream items. Many thanks
Roger Lund

#5 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:53

Wasn't the reason for the run in the C5s due to the early morning fog stopping the Medical Helicopter getting airbourne? With a major delay JPS Lotus started to muck about with the C5s so the spectators up at the start/finish had something to watch!

I cannot remember if they ran on any of the live circuit days but I would have been out on post at the time - waiting for the fog to lift - as an alternative to watching the paint dry

#6 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 14:57

The view from the stands was a real hoot with the JPS mechanics "racing" C5s up and down the pit lane. Happy days.

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 17:06

I cannot remember if they ran on any of the live circuit days but I would have been out on post at the time - waiting for the fog to lift - as an alternative to watching the paint dry

I think your initial comment is right. The Friday would be the first practice day & I think that was when they were racing up & down the start/finish straight.

I must have at least one photo somewhere!

#8 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:50

I am not sure if they are appropriate for TNF but I think they qualify as nostalgia on 3 counts.

Certainly nostalgic shots of Silverstone :up:

#9 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:03

One bitterly cold winter's day, probably the same year that those photos were taken, I watched from a window in Surrey House, then an IPC tower in Sutton, as Motor did a C5 photo shoot in the park opposite. The then Road Test Editor, Lawrence Pearce, drove the stupid thing round and round a frozen fountain, the inside rear wheel constantly about three inches off the icy tarmac. The photo shoot was over, but then the photographer (no names...) obviously said that he wanted a go. He did half a lap before flipping Mr Sinclair's piece of crap and landing on his backside. The expression "unsafe at any speed, except in the hands of a skilled driver (and even then...)" came to mind. There was also an amusing competition to see who could brake latest along the 13th floor corridor without hitting the swing doors at the end. The skid marks were still there when IPC vacated the building.

#10 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 21:35

One bitterly cold winter's day, probably the same year that those photos were taken, I watched from a window in Surrey House, then an IPC tower in Sutton, as Motor did a C5 photo shoot in the park opposite. The then Road Test Editor, Lawrence Pearce, drove the stupid thing round and round a frozen fountain, the inside rear wheel constantly about three inches off the icy tarmac. The photo shoot was over, but then the photographer (no names...) obviously said that he wanted a go. He did half a lap before flipping Mr Sinclair's piece of crap and landing on his backside. The expression "unsafe at any speed, except in the hands of a skilled driver (and even then...)" came to mind. There was also an amusing competition to see who could brake latest along the 13th floor corridor without hitting the swing doors at the end. The skid marks were still there when IPC vacated the building.

I bought a forlorn C5 12 years ago from someone's garden hoping to pay £50 for it, ended up paying £100. I spent a £100 repairing it and sold it for £300. I drove it 2 miles on the pavement but the Hoover motor was so weak I had to peddle three quarters of the way and was utterly knackered on arrival. I wasn't impressed.

#11 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 21:49

I've often wondered how many people were injured in the C5. Does anybody remember the Spitting Image sketch?

I read somewhere recently that Sinclair refuses to use the internet.

#12 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:36

I have managed to find the third shot of Senna in the C5 and added it to the initial post.

#13 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 13:11

I've often wondered how many people were injured in the C5. Does anybody remember the Spitting Image sketch?

Sinclair is probably waiting for the imminent arrival of his new improved version of the internet before he will use it!!

#14 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 13:36

Perhaps that is because he has attempted to connect with it via one of his own computers, which is probably even more difficult than trying to tell what time it is with a Sinclair Black Watch on your wrist.