McLaren: General

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
864 replies to this topic

#1 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 19:03

General: McLaren thread

McLaren Racing Limited (F1), McLaren Automotive, McLaren Applied Technologies, McLaren Electronic Systems. McLaren Group.

Not intended as a competitor to the rolling race car/driver specific threads, but instead a place to discuss among other things the way in which the various developments by the subsidiaries of the McLaren group are feeding or have fed either directly or in-directly back into the groups principle focus, the F1 program which is being run by McLaren racing limited.

Anything that you feel may be out of place or beyond the scope of the race car, race driver specific threads is welcome here. This is a context which should therefore provide fertile ground for the discussion of 'anything' McLaren through the literal consideration of the McLaren groups stated raison d'être, the F1 program which is being run by McLaren racing limited and served by the group as a whole.

In simple terms then, this could be considered the General: McLaren thread. Or the place for anything not allowed in the rightly specific car MP4-?/drivers threads.

McLaren in general, be that corporate affairs (accounts for the previous financial year), corporate expansion/contracts/sponsors, the ongoing development of automotive, specifically the MP4-12C, the history of automotive, the development of the new McLaren V8. The development of McLaren racing limited and past/present and future iterations of the MP4 F1 car, the history of McLaren racing limited, which should be considered distinct from a pure form of nostalgia and considered in the way in which certain historically significant developments, developmental working methods and race strategies (for example the McLaren pre-refueling era strategies) relate directly to the challenges faced by the contemporary McLaren.

How the work of the key McLaren group subsidiaries McLaren Electronic Systems, McLaren Applied Technologies and McLaren Automotive benefit the racing team proper. (you can include the work of the catering arm 'absolute taste' if you must, I am sure developments here though are representative of a McLaren philosophy as opposed for example to being of any direct use to the aero department)

So from within this context feel free to openly discuss all the developments at the McLaren Group, since such developments can not be anything other than related to the groups stated reason for being, the F1 program run by McLaren racing limited and the construction of the contemporary and future iterations of the MP4 F1 car.

Please feel free therefore to discuss within this context the current development issues associated with the MP4-12C and the development of its V8 within the context of the providing of a potential platform for a McLaren works F1 engine for future iterations of the MP4 F1 car.

This may or may not provide an opportunity to overcome the fragmented nature of the discussion of all things McLaren racing. It's an experiment. A haven for the increasingly diverse world of the McLaren F1 team. It probably won't have the relevance of the car/driver specific threads at the moment and rightfully so, but off season it could just provide a haven where it is necessary sometimes to go off topic when following a group as diverse as McLaren, whose sole reason for being is racing. And if so, you are covered here.

Looking forward also to seeing some great contemporary photo's and footage of anything McLaren old and new particularly due to the related and relevant discussions such images tend to inspire.

Edited by werks prototype, 19 January 2010 - 11:11.
no need for this. "If this thread isn't zapped "

Advertisement

#2 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 19:25

McLaren and other Brit F1 teams working on tech for British MOD military contracts. McLaren have a history of employing ex-aerospace engineers. I wonder if these relationships will be a two way thing and result in a development as seminal as McLarens first use of the carbon fibre monocoque.

http://news.sky.com/...s=searchresults

#3 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 20:00

If Andy is popping in I have one non-f1 car related question, as McLaren always wants to be at the forefront on Tech when are we getting a official iPhone app for McLaren news and data?

#4 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 20:55

lola do some work for the MOD, think on there UAV stuff

#5 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 21:27

McLaren worked with BAE systems as well from 1996 to 2007. The partnership originally focused on McLaren's F1 car's aerodynamics, carbon fibre techniques, wireless systems and fuel management. There is probably a link still between Whitmarsh and BAE.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 00:09

If Andy is popping in I have one non-f1 car related question, as McLaren always wants to be at the forefront on Tech when are we getting a official iPhone app for McLaren news and data?

Maybe because they're working on actual technology, not glorified RSS feeds. :p

#7 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 00:19

I think the thread starter should buy some shares of McLaren and have access to the data room.

#8 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:07

Getting very close to a few million pounds worth of McLaren tech. Some snaps I took on the 40th anniversary. I wonder what the chances are of one of these great liveries (not Yardley) making a return to the F1 car post 2015. Or even any of the proposed racing variations of the MP4-12C.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 19 January 2010 - 02:18.

#9 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:26

Thanks Werks,

nice pics. :up:

#10 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:25

Yeah, awesome pics!!

I'd have loved to see that, where was it?

This is on here in the North Island this weekend:

http://www.stuff.co....o-Bruce-McLaren

Wish I could see that too.

#11 Duck of Death

Duck of Death

• 288 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:22

Andy seems to have gone the way of ACFA :(

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:35

Andy seems to have gone the way of ACFA :(

I'd imagine he's just too busy now. Have to hope someone else steps up...

#13 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:54

I think Jenson is launching the new iphone today as it happens

#14 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:41

Orange!

I'd love it if McLaren went back to their roots and adopted an orange livery. It's better than the silver.

#15 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:22

Yeah, awesome pics!!

I'd have loved to see that, where was it?

This is on here in the North Island this weekend:

http://www.stuff.co....o-Bruce-McLaren

Wish I could see that too.

This was at Goodwood in 08 (1968-2008). That tribute in New Zealand looks great. I wonder if they will have a contemporary car there as well. I would like to see that darker blue and orange 'Gulf' livery mocked up on one of the newer F1 cars. I know Gulf is currenlty associated with Aston Martin, but it would certainly be a practical way of including the orange that we all know and love.

#16 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:24

I don't know about you guys, the picture of the image I am getting about Mclaren is - Mclaren is a very high tech company (all put together) and F1 is the key expression of that.
Ferrari, Renault etc are easily defined; the are automotive companies.

These augurs well for them to be independent financially and to some extent technically but will this sell their road cars more or less - I am not too sure...

#17 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:38

I don't know about you guys, the picture of the image I am getting about Mclaren is - Mclaren is a very high tech company (all put together) and F1 is the key expression of that.
Ferrari, Renault etc are easily defined; the are automotive companies.

These augurs well for them to be independent financially and to some extent technically but will this sell their road cars more or less - I am not too sure...

McLaren certainly seemed to have expanded their portfolio and the number of their subsidiaries in recent years. It all reads like some grand master plan, although I could be reading too much into it. They could end up representing one of the purest forms of motorsport if they continue in this direction, where at the moment the more profitable McLaren racing limited (F1) remains a subsidiary of a McLaren group itself. There is something elegant about that.

#18 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 16:35

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es_cutting.html

#19 alfiebengal

alfiebengal

• 112 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 16:45

If it's forefront you want perhaps Android would be a more appropriate app. :cool:

Advertisement

#20 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 18:56

I signed up for mclaren membership yesterday. I sometimes wish as a company they'd lighten up a bit. They can seem a bit serious for their own good sometimes...

#21 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 19:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es_cutting.html

"Sensors-R-Us". :)

#22 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 19:32

I signed up for mclaren membership yesterday. I sometimes wish as a company they'd lighten up a bit. They can seem a bit serious for their own good sometimes...

eh? if anything they are one of the most lighthearted lately, they have being putting out jokey videos after jokey videos, they have run competitions on their website, they have the 5th driver and unveiling a piece of their car one bit after another, what more could they do?

#23 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 19:54

eh? if anything they are one of the most lighthearted lately, they have being putting out jokey videos after jokey videos, they have run competitions on their website, they have the 5th driver and unveiling a piece of their car one bit after another, what more could they do?

A touch of Blackadder served up with a slice of Monty Python. A classic. Delivered during a tense championship winning season.

#24 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 19:59

A touch of Blackadder served up with a slice of Monty Python. A classic. Delivered during a tense championship winning season.

:rotfl: That was a cracker

#25 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:35

Development programme for the MP4-12C now complete?

http://translate.goo.....d___.html?www

#26 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:04

Mclaren signs on14 year youth

Anthony Hamilton will be the boy's manager throughout his racing career. The young man will certainly benefit from the experience AH had acquired whilst developing LH.

#27 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:08

Anthony Hamilton will be the boy's manager throughout his racing career. The young man will certainly benefit from the experience AH had acquired whilst developing LH.

Anthony :up:

Has to be finding some other things to do now, this looks like a good start.

#28 Raincoat

Raincoat

• 775 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 16:09

Oh poor Nyck de Vries! If he ever makes it into F1 and McLaren, the hate mob are going to label him lucky and having an easy ride into F1 :rotfl:

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 20:22

Good news for De Vries and Mclaren, but it seems as if Anthony Hamilton is having more say in team affairs than a driver manager strictly ought to... Mclaren don't need a Puig, let alone a Briatore.

#30 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 20:53

Good news for De Vries and Mclaren, but it seems as if Anthony Hamilton is having more say in team affairs than a driver manager strictly ought to... Mclaren don't need a Puig, let alone a Briatore.

Anthony is no Puig or Flav. McLaren know him well and there are plenty of reasons for them to think a lot of him. He is ruthless but he has integrity, he works hard, has good judgement, drive - he's a very able guy. I wouldn't mind seeing him run a team eventually.

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 21:17

Anthony is no Puig or Flav. McLaren know him well and there are plenty of reasons for them to think a lot of him. He is ruthless but he has integrity, he works hard, has good judgement, drive - he's a very able guy. I wouldn't mind seeing him run a team eventually.

I don't know him, obviously. But I've heard... erm, mixed reports about him. Each as unsourced as the other. No point having an argument about it, but I wouldn't rule out some factionalism appearing within Mclaren, as opposed to everyone vs. Alonso, as things were for much of 2007... If Ron wants to be as big as Ferrari, I guess he'll have to accept the internal politics that go with it. :lol:

#32 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 21:24

I don't know him, obviously. But I've heard... erm, mixed reports about him. Each as unsourced as the other. No point having an argument about it, but I wouldn't rule out some factionalism appearing within Mclaren, as opposed to everyone vs. Alonso, as things were for much of 2007... If Ron wants to be as big as Ferrari, I guess he'll have to accept the internal politics that go with it. :lol:

Well he is a fighter for sure, and not too worried about making an enemy or two. Fine garagiste material in fact :love: :lol:

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 21:26

Well he is a fighter for sure, and not too worried about making an enemy or two. Fine garagiste material in fact :love: :lol:

Ha, that I don't doubt. Who knows, he could even be the next Bernie Ecclestone. :p :well:

#34 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:13

McLaren signed a 14 year old Dutch kid. A good move. I wonder if and when the other teams will jump on this and start locking these kids up early. Use them for themselves, trade or sell them off.

#35 Zdeus

Zdeus

• 309 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:47

This might be slightly off topic, but I admire Ron Dennis' vision so much so that it can be inspiring to budding entrepreneurs. Maybe he should write a book.

#36 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:52

This might be slightly off topic, but I admire Ron Dennis' vision so much so that it can be inspiring to budding entrepreneurs. Maybe he should write a book.

I always liked the fact that he started in the business as a lowly apprentice mechanic, there is something old school and 'getting your hands dirty' about that.

Posted Image

#37 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 19:12

I always liked the fact that he started in the business as a lowly apprentice mechanic, there is something old school and 'getting your hands dirty' about that.

:up: Absolutely - even if he has had a peculiar manner and seemed aloof and obsessive he can feel proud of his achievements based on self belief and energy. I do wish he had not attracted so much blinkered hatred. Inevitable perhaps.

On the livery - it is nice to dream of a reincarnation of McLaren orange, maybe brighter? - but corporate sponsorship will surely scupper that.

#38 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,637 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 19:17

I agree, I would LOVE to read it.

I really look up to that man. Regardless of what the detractors may have to say about him.

#39 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 17:35

MW does share Bernie's view that not all the new teams will be on the grid this year.
When addressing the issue of reserve drivers, he said:

“I might be wrong, but one can imagine that the driver market and maybe the entrants will be slightly more volatile than they have been in recent years. I sense that there will be some drivers who think they are gainfully employed at the moment, who may be available in the future.”

Advertisement

#40 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 17:59

As I wrote on the MP4/25 thread: given that Campos appears to be in trouble, I wonder if Whitmarsh is aiming at Bruno Senna as (second) testdriver. His drive seemed secure, but now there are doubts if the team will even make it.

#41 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 21:40

As I wrote on the MP4/25 thread: given that Campos appears to be in trouble, I wonder if Whitmarsh is aiming at Bruno Senna as (second) testdriver. His drive seemed secure, but now there are doubts if the team will even make it.

Exactly what I was thinking...

#42 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 19:33

:up: Absolutely - even if he has had a peculiar manner and seemed aloof and obsessive he can feel proud of his achievements based on self belief and energy. I do wish he had not attracted so much blinkered hatred. Inevitable perhaps.

On the livery - it is nice to dream of a reincarnation of McLaren orange, maybe brighter? - but corporate sponsorship will surely scupper that.

I can see an angle on the corporate sponsorship issue. Strangely enough though it is one that is extremely unlikely to manifest itself in the near future since it involves the balance of power reversing dramatically between sponsors Vodafone and Aigo. If the colour is to be sponsor relative then I would take the Aigo orange from the McLaren race overalls and apply it liberally. Alongside a nice McLaren badged V8 of course. The lengths I would go to, to graft a little orange on to a McLaren.;)

Edited by werks prototype, 04 February 2010 - 02:28.

#43 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 22:51

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

McLaren festival Jan 2010 (light relief from the testing)

#44 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:15

Check out this bad boy

http://www.topgear.c...-gtr-2010-02-03

#45 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:25

Check out this bad boy

That looks pretty fricken sick :up:

#46 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,399 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:38

That looks pretty fricken sick :up:

He did a lot more than just a Gulf-liveried version:

http://www.autoblog....en-mp4-12c-gtr/

I think my personal favourite is the Harrod's car, but the Lark livery is also great. It would be really nice to see a racing version of the car, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

#47 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 14:46

Check out this bad boy

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I can not believe it!!!!!! He forgot the orange OZ wheels though. One of my first posts on here layed out my hopes that this particular livery would be mocked up on to a race variation of the MP4-12C road car. Unbelievable. Great find Owen :up:

Posted Image

Check out the Marlboro http://www.topgear.c...c-gtr?imageNo=2

Edited by werks prototype, 03 February 2010 - 15:51.

#48 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,637 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:57

Check out this bad boy

I'd wet myself if I saw this thing on track :love: :eek:

As for the Campos/Senna thing. I think Senna is quite overrated, and I hope we don't sign him as a reserve/test driver/development driver. I may change my mind about this later, but I haven't seen anything from him that indicates he will be a top formula one driver. I have seen him throw hissy fits though, which is kinda... ehhhh...

#49 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:00

I'd wet myself if I saw this thing on track :love: :eek:

As for the Campos/Senna thing. I think Senna is quite overrated, and I hope we don't sign him as a reserve/test driver/development driver. I may change my mind about this later, but I haven't seen anything from him that indicates he will be a top formula one driver. I have seen him throw hissy fits though, which is kinda... ehhhh...

You are right about Senna, but I hope you are wrong....

#50 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 17:53

http://www.business2...88ba525a54.aspx

Interview conducted with Ian Gorsuch Regional Director for MEA, McLaren Automotive. By Sunil Kumar Singh on Thursday, February 04, 2010