GP CHINA 2010

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 23:06

Can't wait!
After the wranglings over Lewis weaving to break the tow for Vitaly, and Sebastian passing a slow-moving Trulli under a yellow flag, I thought we could maybe move on and look ahead to China 2010.
Nowhere near as hot as Malaysia (best described as cool but changeable in April), a wet race in 2009 saw a Red Bull 1-2 to break the early season stranglehold that Brawn GP had established.
Will 2010 be any different?
Certainly Red Bull look the team to beat and another 1-2 could happen with Vettel just edging out Mark.
McLaren SHOULD do well if they call strategy and tyres correctly, Lewis to pip Jenson for a podium?
Ferrari may have an engine weakness, but I still expect them to be competitive and in the mix, can Felipe "Baby" accrue enough points to arrive in Europe as the Championship leader, and can he outscore his team-mate to rack up a 3-1 race result advantage?
I would say NO, close but not leading and 2-2 against Fernando.
Mercedes are 1 of only 3 teams who have a driver 3-0 advantage ( Renault & Toro Rosso make up the trio) , advantage Rosberg!
I see Michael getting his first "result" over Nico and if it is a wet race to score good points.
Kubica and Sutil continue to be the "jokers" in the pack and better get used to starting a GP on the same row of the grid, if they can avoid each other and other drivers on the opening lap, point scoring finishes for both, though Renault would no doubt prefer a warmer Shanghai than last year.
Sniffing for scraps, Jaime in the Toro Rosso (3-0 on Buemi!), and Vitaly and Vitantonio, Williams urgently need upgrades to get on the tail of the top 10.
Feel free to dissect and offer YOUR opinion,
only 13 days to go :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 00:36

Lets add some color, courtesy of F1 official web site.

http://www.formula1....it_diagram.html

#3 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 00:44

If it doesn't rain you feel this season will see Vettel/Webber/Alonso and Hamilton duking most races out with Vettel and Hamilton fighting for the WDC.

#4 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 00:51

McLaren will have three straights, and three chances to make a pass on each lap. In theory its their race to loose because of a duct. RBR has drivers who might not take it laying down.

Edited by MiPe, 05 April 2010 - 00:58.

#5 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:01

McLaren will have three straights, and three chances to make a pass on each lap. In theory its their race to loose because of a duct. RBR has drivers who might not take it laying down.

DEPENDS ON THE FIRST LAP AND QUALIFYING, damn caps. But yeah, if Hamilton is anywhere near the red bulls or in front in qualifying, he's gonna make it stick on the first lap. The Red Bulls need to qualify 1-2 and bugger off, it's horribly slow in a straight line the RBR so they need to nail qualifying.

#6 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:23

If it rains, that'll be good for Mercedes. If it is dry, a toss up between Redbull, Ferrari and Mclaren.

Edited by SeanValen, 05 April 2010 - 01:26.

#7 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:44

Unless it rains it will be a snoozer like Bahrain.

#8 humingchao55

humingchao55

• 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:14

Lets add some color, courtesy of F1 official web site.

http://www.formula1....it_diagram.html

do you play the game f1 manager ? call me in

#9 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:19

The Mclarens are gonna be nailing people down that long straight - the Redbulls should be up there again but not sure if they can fend off the Macs under braking for that hairpin. Alonso - if he can get past Massa - should be quick too. Force India could surprise.

If it rains I think it will be probably be another RBR 1-2 like last year...

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:37

My thoughts as well.

Hopefully McLaren and Hamilton will go through the entire weekend without hicups and fight for the win this time around. But I find it hard to expect Red Bull not winning. Shanghai isn't a track where Massa looks overly impressive, I don't think he'll return to Europe as the WDC leader, even though I'd be pleased if he does.

#11 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:48

Unfortunately I have to agree.

#12 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:27

Don't forget Hamiltons dominant victory in 2008,he can really deliver when he needs to and it's going to happen in China

#13 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:29

3 straights?

More like 1 where they can make a difference.

#14 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:41

The longest straight in F1. McLaren will own that one if they take some wing off (weather dependent)

The issue though is again the middle third which is very twisty. Could we have a Bahrain type situation.

#15 sportzgal82

sportzgal82

• 465 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:50

Sadly unless there is rain all F1 GP will be snoozers

I can see it being another Redbull 1-2 and I know its only race 4 BUT this race is going to be critical for Mark and will need to start winning races soon
Spoiler

Id like to see Nico continue with this form and Id hope that Massa can hold onto the championship for Europe races. Another thing would be nice is more positives from Jamie as well :)

Edited by sportzgal82, 05 April 2010 - 13:52.

#16 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:51

The longest straight in F1. McLaren will own that one if they take some wing off (weather dependent)

Thought Abu Dhabi had that.

The issue though is again the middle third which is very twisty. Could we have a Bahrain type situation.

I think mechanical grip is more important in the first sector. Some very slow corners there.

#17 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:11

There are a few sweeping mid-fast corners, Mclaren will be fine.

#18 ButtonJ

ButtonJ

• 214 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:31

MW is saying that they brought 0.3 seconds improvement to Malaysia which Hamilton backed up, he was able to match the red bulls in practice and the race, i think we still would of been behind in Qualifying.

Revised Suspension for China should help in Qualifying along with other upgrades which he is saying should bring another 0.3 seconds improvement.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:32

There wasn't much evidence of the duct being a huge advantage in Malaysia.

Advertisement

#20 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:34

With rain always being a possibility I think they traded straight-line wing performance for better downforce.

#21 ButtonJ

ButtonJ

• 214 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:34

They added more downforce and comprimised their speed on the straights because they have so much

#22 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:36

With rain always being a possibility I think they traded straight-line wing performance for better downforce.

Perhaps, but without concrete evidence I'm calling it as I saw it.

#23 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:47

The back straight where the top speed will be in excess of 320km/h will be the place where McLaren's superiority trumps all competitors, other than RBR.

Either RBR or McLaren for the win, with Ferrari 3rd and Merc 4th.

-KB

#24 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 14:51

If there is no rain forecast I can forsee McLaren having a 10kmph Advantage down the main straight, while it might not be enough to win, it'll certainly make them difficult to overtake.

#25 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:09

I don´t think so actually. I´m looking so much forward to this one! I´m expecting it to be the first real chance to see Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes close together on track. What might skew things a bit though, is if the very low temperatures continue, but still this should be a good chance to get a better reading on how things stand, especially between Ferrari/McLaren vs Red Bull.

McLaren we know will bring some updates, they´ve been concrete on that, and with good strides taken already I feel sure Hamilton can pose a serious threat for the win, as others have mentioned already. It´s not that I don´t have faith in Button but I´d be surprised if he could follow his team-mate around this track.

...and guys - and you know who you are now - is it so hard to write Whitmarsh, Webber, Barrichello or Red Bull? It´s usually very self-explaining who you have in mind, but still using just RB or MW creates some confusion.

Edited by race addicted, 05 April 2010 - 15:10.

#26 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:59

Does anyone know what the story is with china's contract for the race?? I remember last year there was some rumblings about them being fed up with the money bernie was charging.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 16:38

McLaren will have machinery advantage on this track, and barring some goody stuff like beaching the vehicle, ramming Kimi (scratch that), or similar, I can't see them to loose, even if RBR will quali higher then them. Straights are just too long, and I think we will get the answer who has a faster car in the field. Right now speed trap favours Macs.

#28 ButtonJ

ButtonJ

• 214 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 16:40

Mclaren will get huge Advantage on that long straight, Is it the longest Straight on the calander?

#29 Turn 1

Turn 1

• 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 19:35

rubbish track

rubbish race

however, rubbish weather could save the day

#30 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 19:39

Mclaren will get huge Advantage on that long straight, Is it the longest Straight on the calander?

Yes :D

#31 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 19:41

McLaren will have machinery advantage on this track, and barring some goody stuff like beaching the vehicle, ramming Kimi (scratch that), or similar, I can't see them to loose, even if RBR will quali higher then them. Straights are just too long, and I think we will get the answer who has a faster car in the field. Right now speed trap favours Macs.

A lot depends on weather forcasts. In MY they neutered the output of the F-duct by putting on a lot more downforce incase of rain.

If the forcast is dry then they will be able to run less win and let loose the F-D.

#32 Turn 1

Turn 1

• 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 19:55

Yes :D

I thought abu dhabi boasted 'the longest straight' on the calender.

#33 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:08

Hard to say for certain, done a search for 5 mins, this:
http://www.independe...f1-1812156.html

says
Length in metres of the straight, the longest in Formula 1

This:
http://www.f1corpora.../f1-race-tracks
says (China):
The Formula 1 race track has an overall length of 5.451,24 m and includes 7 left and 7 right turns. The longest straight runs parallel to the Dragster track between the turns T 13 and T 14 and has a length of 1.175 m. The standard width of the track is between 13 m and 15 m, in turns it expands up to 20 m (turn T 13).

If true, theres 3 metres in it

But the abu dhabi track would be awsome if the two straights could be joined together.

Edited by Anomnader, 06 April 2010 - 20:09.

#34 bkfman

bkfman

• 172 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:25

If it's dry then i see Red Bulls dominating and McLarens behind. Lewis ovetaking skills will be useless because Seb will be miles ahead.

#35 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:32

It was I think, clearly Hamilton while overtaking and Button to defend himself you could see certain advantage... But I don't think it was that meaningful as to say today McLaren will be ahead of the Ferraris clearly. I think they may be tied, but no better one than the other. At Malaysia one of the Ferraris wasn't pushing as it should and the other just finished 4 seconds behind Hamilton.

#36 917k

• 2,961 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 23:53

Boy, it's hard to see why most of you bother to watch the races.....you have written this one off already and some of you have already written off the entire season, despite some good races, very tight fights and a WDC that could be contested by 6 drivers!

Geez...........

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 00:10

Boy, it's hard to see why most of you bother to watch the races.....you have written this one off already and some of you have already written off the entire season, despite some good races, very tight fights and a WDC that could be contested by 6 drivers!

Geez...........

8 drivers

#38 917k

• 2,961 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 00:59

8 drivers

Even worse! ;)

#39 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:16

May it rain all season long.

Advertisement

#40 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:27

8 drivers

Do you really think Kubica and Renault have a chance at the WDC?

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:44

Do you really think Kubica and Renault have a chance at the WDC?

TIME WARP 2005: Do you really think Alonso and Renault have a chance at the WDC?

Anything can happen...

Edited by bourbon, 07 April 2010 - 03:44.

#42 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:25

Abu Dhabi straight = 1,173m (according to the circuit's website)
Shanghai straight = 1,175m

A mere difference of 2m.

#43 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:29

Geez...........

The free practice is only 8d 20h away. There are limited amount of works that could be done to the car before race day. It is not hard to predict that the winner would come from either RBR, McLaren or Ferrari. Unless Mercedes GP Petronas finds a significant upgrade for China, they are slated as the 4th best car on the grid.

Nothing wrong with making prediction.

-KB

#44 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:52

Looking forward to it already.

Red Bull will still have the pace, their win last year was huge over the then dominant Brawn but alot of that was down to the Brawns not being able to get the wet tyres working properly. Vettel scored an amazing 4th for Toro Rosso at his first attempt in China (his 2nd ever race!) and took the works Red Bull team's maiden win less than 18 months later. Its fair to say the guy obviously likes the track.

The McLaren should be closer here. China is one of Lewis' strongest tracks, arguably the track on which he achieved his most dominant dry win in 2008. He was dominating on 07 too before you-know-what happened. The slow to medium corners, like Abu Dhabi, really suit Lewis' style and combined with the F-Duct on the huge straight I predict a really strong weekend from him.

The weather is predicted to be a relatively cool 15-20 deg C. Much cooler than even Melbourne this year so those who can make the tyres work in lower temperatures and not grain on the abrasive surface will be in good stead for the race. There have also been a fair few wet races here so that could throw in another factor to the mix hopefully.

#45 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:56

Abu Dhabi straight = 1,173m (according to the circuit's website)
Shanghai straight = 1,175m

A mere difference of 2m.

The Fuji straight was around 1.5km...is it still on the calendar though? I thought they rotated with Suzuka :confused:

#46 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 656 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:11

TIME WARP 2005: Do you really think Alonso and Renault have a chance at the WDC?

Anything can happen...

You are kidding right..........

After the first 3 races of 2005 season, the whole world knew Fernando and Renault were the favs to win WDC and WCC.

#47 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:16

The long range forecast is showing cool (17 - 19 degC) dry conditions for Fri and Sat, and cool wet conditions for the race.

#48 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:23

The Fuji straight was around 1.5km...is it still on the calendar though? I thought they rotated with Suzuka :confused:

Suzuka will host the Japan GP for 2010 and 2011, i think. With Toyota out of F1 i don't see Fuji returning soon.

#49 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:27

Anything can happen...

Was there really anyone who did NOT think they could have a shot at the WDC after Renault won the first 4 races?

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:04

What might make a difference is that the cars already carry a lot of speed when they enter the back straight at Shanghai. So perhaps McLaren can benefit from their f-duct and gain some extra 'klicks' much earlier on the straight.

Watch out for them on the first lap!

:)