Today at Crystal Palace...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 22:38

... Sunday...

I was supposed to be working today, but managed a quick browse around the Sprint meeting at Crystal Palace.
A marvelously eclectic mix of machinery entered - under a lovely sunny sky.
I've posted a few hastily-snapped pictures here
http://www.flickr.co...dificium2f-001/
(They are technically mediocre but you might find the content of some interest.)

I may have time to return tomorrow (with a proper camera) - I think there is more of an emphasis on older cars on Monday.

Edited by 2F-001, 30 May 2010 - 22:41.

Advertisement

#2 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:07

Great photos . Thanks . Loved seeing the Monaco .

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 18:56

Fab pix loved the 2CV Variant :-)

Thanks for sharing :-)

#4 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 19:08

Thank you both.
(The 'variant' was just my description of the 2CV-derived device - I'm don't know what its proper name, spec or history is.)

I didn't make it to the second day, unfortunately, but it was splendid to see the old place alive with racing cars again.
The organizing club - Sevenoaks and District - did a really good job putting on a clubbie motorsports event at a really high profile venue in front of a largely 'novice' audience. The course was, necessarily, short but used a bit of the original twisty 'infield' layout and part of the later and better-known circuit, via an straw bale chicane, through North Tower corner and into the Glade. A really beautiful setting, in full leaf and greenery and with excellent whether.

The Club had spent ages preparing for the event - with several weeks taken to install, we were told, 38 tons of armco.
(I'll go through the rest of my pics when I get a moment - but they were the most interesting ones.)

Edited by 2F-001, 31 May 2010 - 19:10.

#5 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 21:43

Missed out on the sunshine today but still very entertaining. Just a few happy snaps ...

Posted Image

John Sutton's Autin seven Special was trying hard.

Posted Image

Bob Searles' Cooper Monaco looked the part.

Posted Image

David Woodhouse's Cooper Mk IX passes a piece of history

Posted Image

Different 2CV from the previous day - surprisingly little lean.

Posted Image

How paddocks used to look.

Posted Image

Maverick corner - LMB keeps an Allard special company.

An eclectic mix of cars but I was rather depressed not to see any sleepers - have they been lost in recent landscaping and prettification? Do hope this becomes a regular event - it deserves to succeed, if only to remind us of what we've lost.

Edited by Odseybod, 31 May 2010 - 21:47.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 21:55

Why has Bob Searles fitted older bodywork to his Cooper Monaco? :)

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 22:06

Love the #56 2CV with it's folded away door mirror :-) With only 27 hp every little helps :-)

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:02

I was rather depressed not to see any sleepers - have they been lost in recent landscaping and prettification? Do hope this becomes a regular event - it deserves to succeed, if only to remind us of what we've lost.

The railway sleepers are long gone. When I last visited I asked one of the Park Rangers about the race track and they were unaware that there had ever been one on the site!

The event may become 'regular' but I guess that will depend on the financial viability of running the meeting.

I understand that some elements of the athletics track will be demolished in the next couple of years - maybe then we could see more of the 'track' opened up?

:wave:

#9 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:22

:);-)

Why has Bob Searles fitted older bodywork to his Cooper Monaco? :)

Ouch - mea culpa. T39 Bobtail, of course.

Just like to check you're awake, David :)

Edited by Odseybod, 01 June 2010 - 09:22.

#10 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:33

The railway sleepers are long gone. When I last visited I asked one of the Park Rangers about the race track and they were unaware that there had ever been one on the site!

Back in the mid-80s, the (very big) London ad agency I worked for decided to hire Crystal Palace stadium for one of those dread team-building exercises, with various departments competing against each other in an (allegedly) grown-up school sports day. Not being very enthusiastic about such things, I took a walk around the old circuit instead - it was still easy to follow and I'm pretty sure the sleepers were still there, at least on the series of bends after the Start-Finish line. It also seemed incredibly narrow, even on foot. Just can't imagine how Rindt managed to lap it at 100 mph.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:55

what was the crowd like yesterday?

#12 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:21

what was the crowd like yesterday?

Difficult to say as the site was quite spread out - you could watch the Sprint at track level (at least, for the first half of it) as well as from on top of the old Palace walls, and both seemed lined at least four deep - not to mention those wandering arond the free-access paddock and the various car club displays. Entrance price of £10 a head seemed quite reasonable, too, so I hope they did well.

Edited by Odseybod, 01 June 2010 - 10:23.

#13 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:22

Don't know about Monday (which was duller and rather cooler) but Sunday's crowd was quite good - busy but comfortable. Spectators all the way around the accessible bits and up on the old Terraces. Not so many that you coudn't get close to any of the cars in the paddock. So... it looked busy (and the venue looked wonderful - wish I'd take more general scene pictures - but whether the gate made it a viable commercial exercise? Hard to say... quite possibly not... but then this must have been run in partnership with Bromley Council so not run with purely hardline commercial motives, one presumes.

There was a very small amount of resurfacing done for the event; this, reportedly cost (I think) something over 13k, with a 2k or so grant from the MSA's club development budget; I believe the rest of the cost had to be raised by the club (but I stand ready to be corrected on that.) With all the armco and other infrastructure, it must have been a costly exercise.

Odseybod - I think any remaining sleepers must have been removed fairly shortly after your Team-bonding exrecise, given those dates.
(btw... The later footbridge from near the railway station over the Anerley Ramp section was pulled down in the last 18 months or 2 years or so).

Incidentally which agency where you with? That's my background too.

#14 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:25

Incidentally which agency where you with? That's my background too.

Messrs Snatchit & Snatchit, as we so rudely called them.

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:29

The No.56 2CV was there on the first day too. I think it is fairly typical of the cars run by the 2CV Club racers - if so it would likely have the 'mandatory non-standard' cam and some other engine mods, so probably had in excess of 40bhp on tap. They are substantially non-production underneath and respectably quick for what they are. I don't know anything about the blue 'spyder' version.

I remember seeing the 24hour (or 25 hour?) 2CV race at Spa and they have a sort of supermodified class with all manner of 'aerodynamic' bodywork and even more modified suspension too!

#16 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:32

Ah - 'very big', as you said. I was with BMP (as was) for 8 years or so, in two stints during late '70s - late '80s.
Sorry, everyone - way O/T here!

#17 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:53

Lovely photographs chaps, thanks for that .

#18 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 15:24

Good that John Sutton still uses the Maclachlan car in competition - he's had it as long as I can remember (say 50-odd years) and we don't see that many genuine pre-war Austin specials these days.

#19 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 15:45

Good that John Sutton still uses the Maclachlan car in competition - he's had it as long as I can remember (say 50-odd years) and we don't see that many genuine pre-war Austin specials these days.

Posted Image

Another pic of the A7, in company with an ultra-modern rival with a whole 250 cc more to play with. Certainly looked - and sounded - as though it meant business.

Advertisement

#20 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 16:00

It may be a 1000cc Cooper, but the Maclachlan has a supercharger!
Both run on methanol it seems.

#21 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 16:22

My very first interview in London was with Messrs Snatchit & Snatchit I suspect that I should be eternally grateful they decided not to employ me as a moped courier in the late 70's :-) I finally got a job as an accounts clerk dull but much safer for body and soul :-)

The No.56 2CV was there on the first day too. I think it is fairly typical of the cars run by the 2CV Club racers - if so it would likely have the 'mandatory non-standard' cam and some other engine mods, so probably had in excess of 40bhp on tap. They are substantially non-production underneath and respectably quick for what they are.

Sounds like things have moved on from my days as a 2CV racer in 1990 I think the only thing we were allowed to do was take the air filter off which had the effect of making the engine noisy but no noticeable increase in power so we left ours on.

Mine was fitted with a Dyane front roll bar and stiffer Dyane shocks, the rears had to have messy extension's welded in to fit but they worked a treat, also we had to run with the side panels round the engine unlike the #56 seen here.

I don't know anything about the blue 'spyder' version.

Looks like a really cool conversion I have not seen anything like it before either.

I remember seeing the 24hour (or 25 hour?) 2CV race at Spa and they have a sort of supermodified class with all manner of 'aerodynamic' bodywork and even more modified suspension too!

I have seen the pictures I got to say I prefer the original 2CV GB rules meant I could drive to and from the track without resorting to the expense of a tow car and trailer or some other hideously expensive transporter :-)

#22 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 19:29

It may be a 1000cc Cooper, but the Maclachlan has a supercharger!
Both run on methanol it seems.

According to the programme, the Cooper was originally campaigned in both 500 cc and 1000 cc form by John Cooper and Eric Brandon, before going to Kenya. Returned to the UK in 1977 and had a twin-pot engine reinstated in 2005 by its present owner, Ruth Ross. No mention of the Austin's blower - but certainly sounded as though it had one.

#23 fyrth

fyrth

• 90 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 21:12

Maclachlan exposed

Posted Image

#24 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:17

What is the red 103 car in post 5, please, behind the Allard Spl, which looks very Granville-Grenfell-ish?
Roger Lund

#25 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:38

What is the red 103 car in post 5, please, behind the Allard Spl, which looks very Granville-Grenfell-ish?
Roger Lund

Roger, it's the one I forgot to ask the owner for more details about :) . A Marcos 3 litre/1800 up to a point, but with a different cabin - feel I should know it but doesn't even appear in the programme, to get me out of a hole. Here's another view - no doubt the answer will be along directly.

Posted Image

#26 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:42

Is the driver a larger chap? It looks like the floor has collapsed?

#27 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:46

Is the driver a larger chap? It looks like the floor has collapsed?

Maybe a cunning ploy - to achieve a low roofline, create a low floorline ...

#28 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:52

Looks to me more proportioned like an early Triumph GT6 but with late Triumph steel wheels ?

#29 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 581 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:57

Looks to me more proportioned like an early Triumph GT6 but with late Triumph steel wheels ?

It was called the Owen Special and has a Jaguar engine. The wheels looked like bolt-on Dunlops, but with spinners. Didn't manage to talk to the driver to get any background.

#30 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:23

It was called the Owen Special and has a Jaguar engine. The wheels looked like bolt-on Dunlops, but with spinners. Didn't manage to talk to the driver to get any background.

Thanks Fuzzi looks like quite a pocket rocket :-)

#31 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:35

It did look distinctly Marcos-like in action -
However, this particular machine gets a mention here in this local news story from last year
http://www.iwcp.co.u...cial-29311.aspx
Not at all clear that the pic shown there is actiually the same example - livery, headlamp fairings etc, and the story (provenance and reliabilty unknown) says there were two.

Edited by 2F-001, 02 June 2010 - 06:37.

#32 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:13

The XK140 special was covered inthis thread
Some time ago we were discussing it elsewhere, and I realised it was David Hobbs' car which he raced with the family firm's Mechamatic gearbox, and Google came up with a ClassisCarsForSale advert, the text of which was (I've corrected a typo or seven):
Buy 1954 Jaguar XK140 For Sale
About This Jaguar XK140 For Sale
TAC 743 EX DAVD HOBBS 140 dhc Jaguar,in the hands of David Hobbs this car achieved numerous wins in 1960, including a win at Goodwood, the car later passed on to Dick Tindall who comissioned his pal Freddie Owens who was an extremly good alloy bodywork speciallist to build present body work over the XK floorpan, this car was then campaigned at the Brighton speed trials regularly with Dick Tindall and Freddie Owens, Dick also owned a Bentley/and Lister knobbly.TAC 743 then passed on to a R Bolwes [Bowles?] who had a win at Silverstone in late 70s, then on again to Norman Ewins with a blown engine, Norman spent the next 19 years working on the car, I managed to purchase the car and replaced all the usual XK steel panels put the car back together again and started to race it once more with a few podium finishes culminating in a 3rd at the Goodwood Revival meeting 2006 in the Fordwater Trophy race. The car has FIA papers this is a totally one off car with great potential and history, with future Goodwood chances .For further information contact Trevor. Offers over 100k part ex with interesting car would be considered or a nice XK / ser 1 E type photos to follow of TAC743

Edited by Allan Lupton, 02 June 2010 - 07:17.

#33 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:01

The XK140 special was covered inthis thread
Some time ago we were discussing it elsewhere, and I realised it was David Hobbs' car which he raced with the family firm's Mechamatic gearbox, and Google came up with a ClassisCarsForSale advert, the text of which was (I've corrected a typo or seven):
Buy 1954 Jaguar XK140 For Sale
About This Jaguar XK140 For Sale
TAC 743 EX DAVD HOBBS 140 dhc Jaguar,in the hands of David Hobbs this car achieved numerous wins in 1960, including a win at Goodwood, the car later passed on to Dick Tindall who comissioned his pal Freddie Owens who was an extremly good alloy bodywork speciallist to build present body work over the XK floorpan, this car was then campaigned at the Brighton speed trials regularly with Dick Tindall and Freddie Owens, Dick also owned a Bentley/and Lister knobbly.TAC 743 then passed on to a R Bolwes [Bowles?] who had a win at Silverstone in late 70s, then on again to Norman Ewins with a blown engine, Norman spent the next 19 years working on the car, I managed to purchase the car and replaced all the usual XK steel panels put the car back together again and started to race it once more with a few podium finishes culminating in a 3rd at the Goodwood Revival meeting 2006 in the Fordwater Trophy race. The car has FIA papers this is a totally one off car with great potential and history, with future Goodwood chances .For further information contact Trevor. Offers over 100k part ex with interesting car would be considered or a nice XK / ser 1 E type photos to follow of TAC743

Just to clarify, Allan, the car at Crystal Palace was the ex-Freddie Owen 15 YPG, which at one point shared a garage with the ex-David Hobbs 'O' Type TAC 743 that was rebodied by Mr O. At least, that's how I read it!

According to our April 2009 feature on David Hobbs (shamless Classic Cars plug!), he had some success with the Manumatic XK 140 until he rolled it, selling the remains at the end of the 1960 season minus the transmission. Maybe that's why it needed to be rebodied?

#34 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:14

Ah, yes Tony I'm getting confused: The ex-Hobbs car was at the Pom this year entered as an XK140 which caused some head-scratching, as it looks like this
Posted Image

Edited by Allan Lupton, 02 June 2010 - 10:15.

#35 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:44

Ah, yes Tony I'm getting confused: The ex-Hobbs car was at the Pom this year entered as an XK140 which caused some head-scratching, as it looks like this
Posted Image

... where I managed to overlook it completely. Probably some built-in defence mechanism that prevents me notcing cars liable to cause puzzlement :) .

#36 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 13:27

Video from the Palace (2010) at http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

...and how not to exit North Tower at http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, about 50 secs in.

Tony

Edited by taylov, 08 June 2010 - 14:10.

#37 chin

chin

• 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:30

Thanks all for your encouraging words. The event involved a lot of hard work to put on, a lot of support from a few sponsors and a big financial risk for our club. In the end it was worth it in spades! We think we're just about OK financially but we've gained an awfull lot of support and enthusiam for the future (especially from the London Borough of Bromley, who have been really helpfull in all our dealings with them) which is as secure as can be at this stage.
Put the 29/30th May 2011 in your diaries and get your entries in as soon as the regs come out (probably at the end of this year) and keep your eyes on the website http://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk .
I'd like to thank all our members, friends etc. who put in the effort to make this event happen.
Chin - Chairman SDMC

Edited by chin, 19 June 2010 - 07:30.

#38 chin

chin

• 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:33

The event is still going in 2014 and gets better each year. This year we have a full entry on both days with reserves so the mix of cars is even better.
It still takes a lot of hard work by Sevenoaks DMC members and our friends in local clubs but we still think it's worth it.
I hope you'll all be there on 25/6th May www.motorsportatthe palace.co.uk

#39 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:01

Here are some details for the 2017 event, August 27th/28th :

http://www.motorspor...home/4590928991

Advertisement

#40 MCS

MCS

• 4,686 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 15:13

Disappointing to read this unfortunately typical piece in The Observer (Guardian) last weekend:

https://www.theguard...d-faded-glamour

Not a mention of motor racing activities, despite being referred to as a "premier sports venue" - let alone a reference to film usage (Italian Job, Rush, etc.).

#41 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 16:07

Disappointing to read this unfortunately typical piece in The Observer (Guardian) last weekend:

https://www.theguard...d-faded-glamour

Not a mention of motor racing activities, despite being referred to as a "premier sports venue" - let alone a reference to film usage (Italian Job, Rush, etc.).

That is maddening.  :mad:   Thanks for pointing it out, MCS.  I've sent The Observer an email registering my disgust. 

Tim Lewis?  Huh. Set the stone dinosaurs onto him.

#42 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 16:45

I guess that with the 50th anniversary of the circuit's closure coming up next year the people who are aware of the fact that top level racing took place in the Park are now far outnumbered by those oblivious to the fact.

However, that doesn't excuse a journalist overlooking this fact. If you are going to mull over the history of a place, and the activities that occurred in that location, then you should research your subject thoroughly.  It's not as if racing was a one-off event at the Palace. For a couple of years before the war and then for a further 19 years in the post war era, motorsport was a prominent activity there.

By all accounts there is nothing in the Park to commemorate its motor sport history.

#43 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 17:32

Some bits and bobs to cheer us up.

http://www.aparchive...ratioFormat=All

Lots of good clips on the above Movietone link: 1972, 1970 and earlier.

Thanks to Roy Pagliacci, Pathé, Movietone and many others.

Edited by john winfield, 26 March 2021 - 17:35.

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 17:33

I guess that with the 50th anniversary of the circuit's closure coming up next year the people who are aware of the fact that top level racing took place in the Park are now far outnumbered by those oblivious to the fact.

However, that doesn't excuse a journalist overlooking this fact. If you are going to mull over the history of a place, and the activities that occurred in that location, then you should research your subject thoroughly.  It's not as if racing was a one-off event at the Palace. For a couple of years before the war and then for a further 19 years in the post war era, motorsport was a prominent activity there.

By all accounts there is nothing in the Park to commemorate its motor sport history.

And not just on four wheels, of course. Motorcycle racing was established on the unmade gravelled paths within the grounds for some years before the big fire and there was also a speedway track, which hosted some pre-war midget racing too. I think that variety - path, circuit and speedway racing for bikes and sidecars, midget racing and circuit racing for cars - may make it unique as a venue, especially when you add in the 'post-closure' sprints.

#45 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 00:01

My uncle was one of those motorcyclists racing a M/C and sidecar racing aaginst a certain Jack Surtees.

#46 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:00

The capacity of those who neither know or care about motor sport to ignore or overlook its legacy is widespread.

Here in the leafy borough of Elmbridge, Surrey lies the earthly - and highly tangible and visible - remains of the mighty Brooklands race track.  Yet when this historic track, the first permanent purpose built motor racing facility in the world, celebrated its centenary in 2007, Elmbridge BC managed to totally ignore it, even though it is probably the most significant historic site in the borough.  We must accept that we are a minority with a hobby that many see as a dirty secret.

Still doesn't excuse The Observer for very poor reporting.

Edited by BRG, 27 March 2021 - 11:01.