Photo

Canadian Grand Prix Preview

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#1 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 19:29

I didn't see any threads specifically talking about the upcoming Canadian GP so I thought I'd make one :confused:

Some of my thoughts:

The dark horse could possibly be Force India, I'm sure they would have been top 5 or possibly podium last season ('09) if Canada was running that year. They did well at Spa/Monza. This is their first chance to see whether their success at low downforce tracks last year will translate through to this year. Although I feel maybe they've decided to take a more consistent approach this year regarding all the tracks in the calendar, so they probably won't be as dominant or see as big as a jump as last year regarding low downforce tracks.

Everyone remembers Hamilton and his F-Duct being rendered useless on the two long straights in Malaysia when he reached Sutil, who knows.

Still think Red Bull will find a way onto pole again though....

Advertisement

#2 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 854 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 19:37

I think HRT could be good here (against the other new teams). They have got a quite good top speed which will be a good advantage.

#3 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 19:40

Weather: http://www.accuweath...t...ic=1&set=99

Very hot (30 degrees), weather slightly uncertain though.

#4 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,994 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 20:00

I think HRT could be good here (against the other new teams). They have got a quite good top speed which will be a good advantage.

The team should at least fight with the other new teams as no much downforce is required in this track.

#5 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 20:44

I didn't see any threads specifically talking about the upcoming Canadian GP so I thought I'd make one :confused:

Some of my thoughts:

The dark horse could possibly be Force India, I'm sure they would have been top 5 or possibly podium last season ('09) if Canada was running that year. They did well at Spa/Monza. This is their first chance to see whether their success at low downforce tracks last year will translate through to this year. Although I feel maybe they've decided to take a more consistent approach this year regarding all the tracks in the calendar, so they probably won't be as dominant or see as big as a jump as last year regarding low downforce tracks.

Everyone remembers Hamilton and his F-Duct being rendered useless on the two long straights in Malaysia when he reached Sutil, who knows.

I'm not sure about that anyway, as Montreal has several tight corners and being quick is more dependent on having good traction and ride quality than at Spa. Having said that, it's still a very different circuit from anything thus far this season, and it would be welcome to see one of the midfield teams battle for a podium.

#6 metz

metz

• 15,872 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 21:41

It's a hard braking, high speed track.
Ideal for McLaren.
Watch for Lewis on pole and win.
Podium for Kubica.
Schumacher in the top 5.
Sauber in top 8.

#7 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 21:45

Lewis and button front row split by hundreths or 1 tenth and a mclaren 1, 2.

#8 dimoose

dimoose

• 89 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:24

Love this track!

#9 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:04

This track is notorious on brakes so I wonder how the Red Bulls will manage their brakes here.

I walked the track a few days ago and noticed some changes. The most obvious one is the repaving of many corners that were braking up a few years ago. Hopefully the surface will hold up over the weekend! The other notable change is the addition of a new paved run-off in corner 7.

On a side note, the manhole covers located on the track have been welded down!!! :p

#10 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:30

Weather: http://www.accuweath...t...ic=1&set=99

Very hot (30 degrees), weather slightly uncertain though.

Weather has changed on various websites over the last few days. Seems like it could be like 2008, where it was hot, but a real risk of thunderstorms. I get the impression the weather forecasts could change daily, with little certainty, other than it being warm/hot.

#11 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:33

Oh and while I think about this race, anyone want to take a guess as to how many times the Safety Car will come out during the race? I'll go for 4.

#12 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:00

going for a mclaren 1-2 with lewis winning :) cant wait, love the track.

#13 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:03

Williams I reckon will go well. But realistically, McLaren, Redbull, Renault, Ferrari, Williams, Sauber, then the rest.

#14 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:04

Williams I reckon will go well. But realistically, McLaren, Redbull, Renault, Ferrari, Williams, Sauber, then the rest.

mercedes don't have a good top speed do they?

#15 lawsy

lawsy

• 178 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07

Mclaren will be quick(est). Redbull should be ok in the slow stuff judging by Monaco but probably need their F-duct working 100% to challenge the Macs.

Webber on the podium and Vettel in the wall of champions. :lol: Or one or either retiring with brake problems... :|

Dark horse is any other team with Merc engines.

#16 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:37

It could be anywhere between Red Bull finding dominating or another real battle between McLaren and them. What might make it more interesting is that everyone will have to keep an eye on brake wear, besides fuel and tyre consumption. For some reason I don't think both Red Bulls will make it through okay. Watch out for dark horse Ferrari.

#17 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:40

Oh and while I think about this race, anyone want to take a guess as to how many times the Safety Car will come out during the race? I'll go for 4.

3, with one being after a brake failure and crash.

#18 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 14:21

mercedes don't have a good top speed do they?

No why?

#19 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,781 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 15:30

On paper this and Monza are RBR's weakest tracks. Not so muc because of the top speed required but more the lacks of fast corners.

Is the RBR a one trick fast corner pony?

Advertisement

#20 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 15:35

On paper this and Monza are RBR's weakest tracks. Not so muc because of the top speed required but more the lacks of fast corners.

I imagine exhibit A for the defence (RB) would be Monaco...

#21 Jeag

Jeag

• 963 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 15:43

lol hasn't that been answered like 7 times already this season?

#22 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:14

McLaren's top speed will be key asset in Montreal. And it will be re-enforced with every SC application as they will have another chances to jump places. McLaren also showned in last years they have good suspension for kerb riding, which is important in Canada.

I still think it would be surprise if RBR does not get pole, but in race they will have it way harder.

#23 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:22

After all the Turkish stories I expect a Red Bull 1-2. They will definitely dig deeper.
Macs 3-4. And Ferrari more competitive again. And Alonso for once without error.
Maybe.

#24 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:23

Helmut Marko suggested that Montreal isn't a track that would suit the RB6, but I reckon he's playing it down a bit. The Red Bulls have been quick on just about every style of circuit going so far this season, so if they're not in the top three I'll eat several hats.

Do expect McLaren and their F-duct to run well, but my dark horse has to be Robert Kubica. Canada should suit Renault's downforce levels well, and in Kubica's hands, they should be competitive.

#25 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:26

Short Weather Update:

Weather has been incredibly humid so far in Montreal. It's been hovering at around 20-25 degrees Celsius but felt like 30+ because of humidity. Have had a couple of showers, but were mostly 'short and sweet'. No thunderstorms in sight, either.

http://www.theweathe.../caqc0363/table

Right now, they are forecasting a high of 31 Celsius (without humidity, so it could potentially feel like 35+) with thunder-showers... However, considering how uncertain weather has been, I'd still put my money on a dry, albeit very 'humid' race.

#26 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:27

Mclaren will be quick(est). Redbull should be ok in the slow stuff judging by Monaco but probably need their F-duct working 100% to challenge the Macs.

Seeing as RBR aren't bringing their F-Duct, that'd be quite difficult

#27 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:28

Some of my thoughts:

Sutil had more of a low downforce setup, while McLaren put a higher downforce setup of Lewis' car, which ultimately made it slower on the track (that deficit was negated by F-duct). Furthermore, McLaren had traction problems back then, so Lewis' exits weren't 'clean' and this couldn't get a good run on Sutil.

#28 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:32

Red Bull's brakes will explode.

#29 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:37

perhaps the thread "Canada - McLaren's bunny" could be merged with this one?

#30 scarsurfing

scarsurfing

• 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:50

Posted Image

I think the Mclarens will be quick followed by Red bull.

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,781 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:10

Short Weather Update:

Weather has been incredibly humid so far in Montreal. It's been hovering at around 20-25 degrees Celsius but felt like 30+ because of humidity. Have had a couple of showers, but were mostly 'short and sweet'. No thunderstorms in sight, either.

The humidex readings really are a bit suss IMHO, it reeks of 24 hr weather channel syndrome. There have been 28 degree days here that supposedly "feel like 40 degrees". Well i've got news for the weather dudes, those days feel NOTHING like 40 degrees. 40 degrees is a searing, beast of a day, 28 with humidity feels like 28 but ... well ... humid. It feels nothing like a pan fried 40 one would be expecting given the forecast.

#32 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:56

Vettels race I think........

#33 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:30

McLaren's top speed will be key asset in Montreal. And it will be re-enforced with every SC application as they will have another chances to jump places. McLaren also showned in last years they have good suspension for kerb riding, which is important in Canada.

I still think it would be surprise if RBR does not get pole, but in race they will have it way harder.

In previous years yes, but not in this one, as we could see at Bahrajn and at Monaco

#34 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:37

My guess is that Force India will be faster than Williams and Sauber on this track. They could be fighting Renault and Mercedes. Sutil is pretty good and consistent this year, so I hope he can translate this into points.

#35 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 15:52

My guess is that Force India will be faster than Williams and Sauber on this track. They could be fighting Renault and Mercedes. Sutil is pretty good and consistent this year, so I hope he can translate this into points.

Force India's been faster than both of them pretty much everywhere - I don't know why they still have the backmarker image about them.

#36 ButtonJ

ButtonJ

• 214 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 16:39

Best chance so far for Mclaren to beat Red Bull in Quali, if they can do that then race is theirs

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 16:48

Helmut Marko suggested that Montreal isn't a track that would suit the RB6, but I reckon he's playing it down a bit. The Red Bulls have been quick on just about every style of circuit going so far this season, so if they're not in the top three I'll eat several hats.

Do expect McLaren and their F-duct to run well, but my dark horse has to be Robert Kubica. Canada should suit Renault's downforce levels well, and in Kubica's hands, they should be competitive.

McLaren car has currently top speed in a straight line. Unless someone can overtake them in turns, it's for McLaren a race to loose. MGP is not well placed for this race, thus in theory it should be McLaren, RBR, and then depends what Ferrari has done, but it seems to be toss among three teams after RBR.

#38 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:00

Maybe Redbull can spring a surprise and grab pole, but I can't see how they will be able to take so much downforce off the car for the long straight and still remain fast. Maybe.. for one lap but in the race they will be hurting. I could see them quickest in S2 and getting P2 or P4. One of them could be P5 or P6.

I think McLaren are the big favourites and I think they will also grab pole. I think they will be near unbeatable. I just hope I don't hear people say after Saturday night.. "oh I can't believe it.. to get that crap car onto pole Button/Hamilton has done a miracle!".

The big thing with Canada is that it's very similar to Melbourne. Very high speed but with walls. So there could be alot of SC's. There could be leaders queuing up in the pits (which means the teammate who is behind for the leading teams might lose 10 secs and fall down the field).

There could be some random strategies and SC timing to mix it up. The problem is that with these rules this year and 1 stop, it could be similar to Monaco where the SC's don't make much difference to the order even though there is alot of them. Street circuits always need 1, 2 and 3 stops to keep it interesting IMO. The timing of the safety cars and gaining lots of positions etc.

It will be interesting to see who is third quickest after the other two. I would tip Rosberg but that Mercedes is pretty bad in a straight line. Ferrari will probably be strong. Who knows about Kubica and the Renault. He could be strong as well.

Merc is supposed to be the strongest engine in F1, and if they are, this is the 2nd most engine dependant track behind Monza. So all the teams that use those engines will probably be very strong in the race.

#39 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:08

So who will be the first in the wall coming on to the straight ? maybe with heavy fuel someone will run a touch wide, or maybe worn tyres will cause the same ?

Not sure Mac will have it all their own way, I don't think RB will be that far behind, if at all.

What do people think of Ferraris chances ? I think they may have a stronger showing here if the renaults struggle.

Advertisement

#40 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:09

I love this track as it has different characteristics than other races. I think McLarens and Red Bulls will be closely matched- again Red Bull faster in qualy, McLarens'll be faster in race trim. Hamilton drives very well in this circuit cuz it suits his style. Oversteery cars go faster in this circuit. F-duct will play major role here especially in S3. I think in S2 Red Bull will be the fastest. In S1 they will match with McLaren so straight line advantage,kerb riding and good traction from slow corners are crucial for this Gp. I hope Maccas improved their traction so they'll have a good chance to overtake cars. I expect a good battle between Macs and Bulls but dont forget ferraris,renaults and mercedes, they will be dark horses in Canada.

My picks for this gp: Hamilton 1st, webber 2nd Vettel 3rd and Button 4th.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 06 June 2010 - 18:13.

#41 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:28

Well ATM_Andy says the Mac estimate of power difference to the Renaults/RB's is only about 8 hp (1%). That's less than they lose through engine life and less difference than a bit of drag. So it seems to me RB could just take a bit more wing off and still match the others on downforce.

I don't feel like making too many assumptions.

#42 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,278 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:00

I thought 28 with humidity felt like 40. I can handle 40 if it's in the desert. I almost can't handle 28 in Montreal.
Sutil should do well. Lewis should win the race if he doesn't run any red lights.

Edited by Lada Lover, 06 June 2010 - 19:01.

#43 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:09

The RB won't suddenly become a bad car, a great car is good everywhere. Pole will be a very close run thing and I can see Webber taking it with Lewis 2.

However I can see the race being decided by a safety car. My sneaky suspicion is a Jenson win with another smart tyre call.

Edited by Stormsky68, 07 June 2010 - 07:09.

#44 hankalis

hankalis

• 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:42

So it seems to me RB could just take a bit more wing off and still match the others on downforce.

I would speculate that RBR is fast because it has the best downforce to drag ratio, but it's not the best car out there when considering drag alone whatever setup they choose to use ... just guessing here off course

#45 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:59

Hamilton is a beast at this track, but McLaren's poor showing in Monaco hints that maybe this isn't their kind of circuit anymore.

A great track, proper bravery and skill needed here, and we always get a safety car (or 3) to spoil everyone's afternoon. :smoking:

Looking forward to how they will manage heavy fuel loads at a high braking track.

Does anyone know whether any of the curbs will be changed to comply to the horrible Spain chicane/ Monza 2009 curbs? The ones shaped like a tic-tac? I hope they leave them as they were in 2008.

#46 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:12

Drag and downforce are not necessarily linearly linked. Look at Force India last year; on lower downforce tracks they excelled because they could retain a higher proportion of their downforce in low drag configurations at Spa and Monza. The Mercedes engine no doubt helped but is the best example I can think of to prove the concept. Red Bull may not have this luxury until they develop the F-Duct. Having the best (read highest) amount of downforce isn't a guarantee you have the best aero efficiency.

I think the F Duct is going to work great for McLaren at Montreal. They are going to be able to match the top speeds of the others whilst achieving much better exit speeds on the medium speed chicanes and corners in the middle of the lap. Should help tyre management alot in the race too which is notoriously high at Montreal. There is a new track surface too which will probably be more abrasive than before.

Edit: Hump, I thought that about the Monaco link too but hoping the long home straight will even that out.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 07 June 2010 - 09:15.

#47 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,366 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:55

Well ATM_Andy says the Mac estimate of power difference to the Renaults/RB's is only about 8 hp (1%). That's less than they lose through engine life and less difference than a bit of drag. So it seems to me RB could just take a bit more wing off and still match the others on downforce.

I don't feel like making too many assumptions.

That's probably peak power gap... Also you have to evaluate how an engine has power along its reving band and its ability to keep the power on a decent level while running on leaner mix levels, for instance. Also, driveability does count a lot.

#48 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:59

From Ian Fergusson's initial weather forecast blog

Sunday looks potentially wet, at least periodically. Improving inter-model and run-to-run continuity offers a strong likelihood of showers developing, some potentially heavy and thundery, associated with a cold front easing eastwards during the day to affect parts of Quebec. :eek: :eek:

Oh well, what is always an entertainment-fest looks like it might even get taken to the next level! I think everyone will agree with me when I say - ME LIKEY!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ecast-c-1.shtml

P.S. Will be interesting to see if Autosport LIVE forecast agrees with this interpretation of the model runs?

#49 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:05

in the end it will turn out to be all-dry i believe;)

#50 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:09

Oh, no doubt!

I just think it is great that a race which always guarantees exciting racing (and doesn't need the "gimmick" of rain) might actually go from being a great race to an absolutely freakin' classic race!

We are in a WIN WIN scenario, which is always the best place for us fans to be in...

Edited by RC127, 07 June 2010 - 12:09.