Photo

Best race of the season so far?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Most exciting race (217 member(s) have cast votes)

Which in your opinion was the best race?

1. Bahrain (8 votes [3.69%])

Percentage of vote: 3.69%

2. Australia (45 votes [20.74%])

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

3. Malaysia (3 votes [1.38%])

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

4. China (23 votes [10.60%])

Percentage of vote: 10.60%

5. Spain (3 votes [1.38%])

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

6. Monaco (11 votes [5.07%])

Percentage of vote: 5.07%

7. Turkey (20 votes [9.22%])

Percentage of vote: 9.22%

8. Canada (104 votes [47.93%])

Percentage of vote: 47.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:36

Also if you can list the races in order of favourite to least favourite. My order goes like this:

1st. Australia
2nd. Turkey
3rd. Canada
4th. China
5th. Malaysia
6th. Spain
7th. Monaco
8th. Bahrain

For me, Australia was the best race - almost solely down to Hamilton's stunning and nailbiting drive through the field. Turkey was outstanding too in that it had the top 4 cars all pushing each other to the limit, all 4 only separated by less than 3 seconds for most of the race. Both of these races were almost unbearably tense. As exciting as Canada was - it was just general mayhem from start to finish - it didn't have the same crescendo of drama that Melbourne and Istanbul had IMO. I think Hamilton's drive in Melbourne sticks out for me as his greatest and this is what I think made that race so special.

EDIT - Who on earth voted for Bahrain?

Edited by PretentiousBread, 14 June 2010 - 21:40.

Advertisement

#2 motoman2100

motoman2100

• 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:44

EDIT - Who on earth voted for Bahrain?

i would put my money on a ferrari fan :rotfl:

#3 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:44

Without the rain Australia wouldn't have been as good as Canada - best dry race for years. Turkey close third.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 14 June 2010 - 21:44.

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:57

Canada was a fantastic race, one of the best dry races for some time. Australia was very good, enjoyed Buttons win, and I rather enjoyed the unpredictable Chinese Grand Prix. Turkey was another good one.

#5 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 23:55

Monaco.

#6 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:29

I think we are extremely lucky to have had 4 brilliant Grands Prix this year - Australia, Canada, Chine and Turkey. And thats only in the first half of the year - usually we'd be lucky to have these in a full season.

Only one race was dismal - Bahrain (likely that Valencia will join it), the remainder were decent.

#7 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:41

Definetly - Monaco!

Ok, ok, I'm a Renault/Robert fan, it isn't objective.

So to be objective... man that is hard, Turkey with the front cars close to each other almost to the end of the race? Canada with very various strategy calls? Australia with great overtaking manouvers and action in rain? Monaco with unexpected pecking order? Or maybe China?

The only thing I'm sure - I love this season :clap:

After tremendous 2008 season, my expectations for the 2009 new regulation has been very big, and then, it was so disappointing, maybe the 2009 wasn't so bad, but in comparison to 2008 it looked poor.
So expectations for 2010 weren't special, I thought it would turn out to another 'meh' season, and what a nice suprise it is after 8 races :)

And I'm a little bit afraid that the new regs for 2011 (moveable RW) can brake some things that aren't really broken :/

#8 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:20

Great: Australia, China, Turkey, Canada
Good: Malaysia
Average: Spain, Monaco
Bad: -
Poor: Bahrain

I vote for Australia.

#9 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:21

i would put my money on a ferrari fan :rotfl:

True, I'm a Ferrari fan and that result was a dream start ;p

I voted Canada though, was just better ;D

#10 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:27

:up: :up:

Edited by Alx09, 15 June 2010 - 09:28.

#11 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:30

Canada, because there was no need for rain or the Safety Car and we still had a great race! :up:

#12 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:36

Probably Australia because it was such a relief after the disaster of Bahrain.

#13 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:38

I vote for Australia.

Picked Australia too but small difference as below.

Great: Australia, China, Canada
Good: Malaysia, Turkey

#14 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:42

I voted for Turkey because that's what Vettel was... And it was the beginning of the end for Red Bull's dominance.

#15 Sukhoi

Sukhoi

• 328 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:43

I vote for Australia.

i can not agree more :up:

#16 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:44

Canada was the best. And that's not because it's freshest in the memory, it just really was.

#17 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:08

Australia coz at least we were good enough to give you rain race and if the tyre degradation at Canada wasn't as bad then it could've been much less action packed.

#18 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:25

I vote for Australia.

:up: :up:

As a Lewis fan, Australia was like an action movie where the main guy gets beaten up at first (hoongate, poor qualy), then slays infidels in a blaze of glory (with his Silver Predator and Justice Diffuser :D ) but in a bizarre twist at the end accidently gets fatally injured while in his last fights (Webber :mad: :D ) , all in all, a very decent movie.

China, almost like Aus, Action movie but with a better ending. Fantastic race, loads of overtaking

Turkey : A Scorsese thriller, not too much happening but keeps you at the edge of your seat all along and then BAAAM! you're blown away

Canada : Combination between Action and Thriller

Best race is close.

But best race weekend for me has to be Canada, because of the brilliant qualy...the running out of fuel part was added bonus. The many passionate fans was very good to see also.

So going to vote for Canada now.

Edited by bauss, 15 June 2010 - 10:28.

#19 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:31

I voted Canada. Drivers having to manage their tyres gave us a 'wet race' in dry conditions.

Advertisement

#20 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:33

As a Hamilton fan.. Canada. His pole lap and his race were exceptional.

As a neutral, I didn't think Canada was *amazing*. I thought it was a very good race, especially seeing as it was dry, but it lacked something.. a SC? A proper battle between the Red Bulls? A late twist? :well:

Anyway I enjoyed it.

For me, speaking as a neutral fan of the sport..

China
Australia
Turkey
Canada
Malaysia
Spain
Monaco
Bahrain

Turkey, I feel, was better if you were "emotionally invested" in one of the top 4 drivers, because of the incredible tension, I've never felt anything like that when watching F1, so it was a special race for me as a Hamilton fan. Plus I felt it was the major twist of the season, and, if Red Bull fail to win the WDC this year, their crash could go down in history. It probably might do anyway.

Overall this has been a fantastic season so far, probably better than 2008 to be honest :up:

#21 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:34

I rewatched every race and I say China...

#22 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:15

One thing that I do know - each track needs to be washed the night before (or morning of the race). Nothing beats a 'green' track for racing!

#23 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:18

I can't really choose between China, Turkey, Australia and Canada

Malaysia was nice too.

GTFO of the poll, Spain and Bahrain :mad:

Monaco was Monaco :stoned:

#24 blizzzzard

blizzzzard

• 167 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:19

China
Australia
Turkey
Canada

Malaysia
Spain
Monaco

Bahrain

#25 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:22

Great: Australia, China, Canada
Good: Malaysia, Turkey
Average: Monaco
Bad:
Poor: Bahrain, Spain

#26 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:22

I can't even remember the Spain race already, I'll admit my race memory isn't the best (I've already forgotten all of 2009 except Brazil and Abu Diaby) but did anything happen in Spain, I swear it's just completely blanked out from me

Oh yeah... Lewis and his tyre failure

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:23

For me this si one of the worst seasons in memory; didn't liked one race yet, because there wasn't a single race without some problem which should not be part of racing that I like. Hate rules and regulation, I have absolut distrust in RC and race stewardship, and that stupid game with parc ferme and tires is killing sport.

#28 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:25

Of course I'm th happiest when Alonso wins, but I still want exiting races, so...

Australia was brilliant, tons of action. But what I really enjoyed about Canada was the uncertainty regarding tire strategies, and the fact that every real championship contender (both Red Bulls and Mclarens, plus Alonso, as I see it) where fighting for the win at different points in the race. And this without any rain which make it a bit more random and down to luck (not that Button for example hasn't been brilliant with strategies during whet races, but you get the point...). There's still nothing that I enjoy more than a straight Mclaren/Ferrari fight for the win to be honest.

But it's a tie between those to races for me, can't decide. Slightly more action in Australia, but more of a direct battle for the win in Canada. Great season so far overall, and I have to say that I like the ban of refueling.

#29 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:26

For me this si one of the worst seasons in memory; didn't liked one race yet, because there wasn't a single race without some problem which should not be part of racing that I like. Hate rules and regulation, I have absolut distrust in RC and race stewardship, and that stupid game with parc ferme and tires is killing sport.

lol, party of ....1

#30 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:28

And I definitely prefer this season to last years. But that's a lot because I didn't really care that much who won out of any Red Bull/Brawn driver.

Edited by Lennat, 15 June 2010 - 11:28.

#31 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:38

I honestly cant decide between Australia, China, Turkey and Canada. There have certainly been some goodies. :D

What I've loved about this season so far is that most of the talking has been about the racing and not the politics. :clap:

#32 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:17

Same here, having at first said Monaco. China, then Monaco.

#33 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:22

even...

BAHRAIN?!?!?!? :o :o <shocked face btw haha

i voted turkey, just a very very tense race, edge of the seat stuff, superb driving from the top 4! :)

Edited by Brandz07, 15 June 2010 - 17:23.

#34 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:49

Canada and Australia head and shoulders above.

But then again they have always produced great races, something to do with being old Skool tracks maybe rather than Tilkadromes?

I like Turkey but it was largely uninteresting for me until 'that crash'.

For the rest of the season I am mostly looking forward to Spa, especially if its wet.

#35 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:18

Canada was a very good race.

The only thing that gets me is that I saw another topic a few mins ago, talking about drivers, some having a tenth over the other etc etc. Knee jerk reactions based of the results, rather then the race itself.

The race in Canada showed that all the drivers who are "on it" and there was at least 6 or 7 of them on Sunday, are bottlenecked by their car (as always) and the tyres. It is so transparent in 2010 with live timing when they are pushing or when they are saving the tyre, or saving fuel.

Pace didn't seperate them on Sunday. First thing was strategy. Top 3 had the best strategy, Seb sort of had a hybrid and Webber had the worst.. they all drove well pace wise.

Second thing was track position. Alonso and Hamilton had best track position.

Next thing was opportunism.. both times Alonso lost the lead was due to backmarkers, rather then pace.

Opportunism, and track position combined with tyre strategy won the race, not pace. I couldn't see much seperating any of them in pace. *shrug*

If you combine that with Saturday, yes pace helped. Hamilton did the best qualifying lap therefore he started with best track position. Even so, he lost track position to Alonso and it wasn't due to pace. He got it back and it wasn't due to pace. In terms of Sunday, it was like a spec series, they all seem to be on the limit of the tyre, the brakes, the fuel etc. The quicker ones don't get a chance to stretch their legs like in previous seasons.

It was good race. Best dry race of the season? Yes. Very exciting and unpredictable. Very enjoyable to watch.

edit - It also explains why the WDC is so tight and compacted. No way you can win a race despite a drive thru this season. The races are so much about ticking the boxes and getting the little things right. It's going to be so tight all the way through the season. Pace can't get you out of trouble. Whoever wins the WDC will really deserve it.

Edited by HoldenRT, 15 June 2010 - 18:20.

#36 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:30

Without doubt Canada

#37 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 19:04

As a Ferrari/FA Fan, the best race was Australia, and the worst race, Turkey.
As a neutral observer, the best race was Canada, and the worst race, Bahrain.

#38 zlev

zlev

• 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 20:39

Australia and Canada are probably tied for me. Canada definitely had the best qualifying session.

#39 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,278 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 20:55

I voted Australia. Canada second ,and I can't remember the rest of the races.

Edited by Lada Lover, 15 June 2010 - 20:56.

Advertisement

#40 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 21:16

I voted Australia, but I have to say I think Canada was one of the best dry/non safety car effected races in a long time. Its just after Bahrain, Australia was such a huge relief, it just edges it for me.

#41 Archybald

Archybald

• 383 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 21:17

With canada being so recent it will be more memorable and could skew the poll in its favour. However it was an extrodanary race more like it please!

#42 metz

metz

• 15,872 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 21:21

Canada was the best. And that's not because it's freshest in the memory, it just really was.

this... :up:

#43 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:49

Canada was the most seat of the pants race so far I think.

The winner wasn't clear 'til about 3/4 race. Which is extremely exciting. Awesome race! :up:

Turkey had the best moment though, watching two numbnuts take each other out :lol:

#44 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:50

As a Tifoso, the best race must be Bahrain :p

No, but I voted Canada...

#45 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:09

:lol:

Gee, I wonder why?

Canada was the best race so far. As a Webber fan though Monaco was pretty satisfying...

#46 demoing

demoing

• 631 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:23

It has to be Canada.
The drivers really had to manage their tyres.
We had teams on different strategies that really could have made a difference towards the end of the race.
Passes out on track that really did effect who won the race rather than it being done in the pits.
No safety cars or rain to change the order or bring luck into play.
What other race ticks all those boxes?

#47 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:37

Well said, demoing :up:

Rain is always good but it usually means a huge element of luck in who is best placed to take advantage. In Canada there were, as you say, hardly any influences outside the driver's control apart from tyre choice. It made it a really pure race and spectacular at that. Rare in modern F1.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 16 June 2010 - 13:37.

#48 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:57

Why does Monaco have more votes than Malaysia? And why is Malaysia tied with Spain? :well:

#49 CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

• 158 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:49

OK, let's see...

1. Canada - finally different tyre strategies that really meant something, wheel to wheel battles at the front, back and in the middle with lots of overtakes, 5 different leaders of the race (if I'm not mistaken), uncertainty about the winner to the very end. And all of this without SC or rain! So this one is kinda obvious.

2. China - lots of overtakes (to put it mildly), different leaders, battles for positions in the leading group. All with a little help of rain and SC to mix things up.

3. Turkey - 4 leading cars in 3 seconds for the most part of the race. And I'm sure it could go on like that until the finish line if not for that accident. Overtakes for the lead are also a bonus.

4. Australia - hectic at the beginning, after that became processional at the front and all of the excitement happened for low-ish points only. Rain and SC helped spicing it up in the first part of the race.

5. Malaysia - processional at the front, some limited fun at the back. I believe it would be better if those McLarens and Ferraris had been fighting for podium instead. So in this case rain was not such a good thing, I guess.

6. Monaco - usual Monaco.

7. Spain - meh...

8. What Bahrain?

So, there.