• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#51 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 13:54

Goodbye Formula One.

Hello NASCAR and poor results.

If anything, it has damaged the credibility of Formula One. The drivers are supposed to be the best in the world and if the likes of Montoya can't tame a saloon car (I exaggerate a little) going around a circle, what does that say about F1 and its drivers? Overpaid and over-nannied playboys? That's what a casual observer will think....

According to who? The public? The media? Here is a hint - that statement is total rubbish.

And he sure made a huge impression in CART 1999. That was fun to watch.

Yes it was. Sensational is the word. :up:

Advertisement

#52 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 13:59

And where did this relationship start? Are you suggesting that the sponsors would be happy to have anymate of CG drive the car regardless of ability? Where did he make his initial money that allowed him to take a chance on NASCAR regardless of outcome? NASCAR = taxi cab racing real race cars do not have roofs regardless of the spectator appeal no matter what the US thinks

Really. I find the Le Mans Peugeots to be real race cars.

#53 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 14:03

There are some pretty clear recent examples of the driver being able a difference in Cup and Nationwide - look at Keselowski and what he's done for Penske's Nationwide, they are suddenly good enough to be destroying Roush and Edwards by mid-June, and look at what happened to the #88 car he left. Ditto Busch and Logano when they are in and out of the Nationwide cars. When Kyle stepped into the #18 Cup car it had been worse than mediocre for years, now it's among the biggest winners. I suspect McMurray had a bit of motivation to prove himself which helped his early good runs this year.

#54 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 14:12

He enjoys the bad luck, inferior equipment and poor results? At least in Formula One he was relevant, capable of winning and had a reputation. Instead, like I said earlier, he's an also ran in a sport nobody cares about.

Goodbye Formula One.

Hello NASCAR and poor results.

If anything, it has damaged the credibility of Formula One. The drivers are supposed to be the best in the world and if the likes of Montoya can't tame a saloon car (I exaggerate a little) going around a circle, what does that say about F1 and its drivers? Overpaid and over-nannied playboys? That's what a casual observer will think....

Nobody cares about? It is the most popular racing in the U.S. by a landside. You are really need to travel a little more.

Montoya got sick of F1 because it was all about what designer came up with a part to get a team 2/10ths. Just like you hear now "we will have an upgrade soon...." F1 is an engineering series not a driver series. That is why Button went from a backmarker to a world beater.

#55 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 14:20

cup cars are pretty nasty to drive aswell, on a level with a virgin or hrt in f1

#56 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 14:49

Really. I find the Le Mans Peugeots to be real race cars.

Me Too.
Out of all racing, by far the Le Mans prototypes *look* racy just sitting still.
Frankly I like all racing, whether it's Dakar to F-1, or MX to Superbikes.
Anything that is scary fast and has a bunch of mechanical maniacs doing their utmost to make the car/bike even scarier gets my :up:

#57 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 14:53

Quote me where Montoya said he hated Formula One please.

As for being happier? Do you honestly believe he is happier being an also ran in NASCAR? I have nothing against NASCAR, each to their own I suppose. I merely consider F1 the pinnacle of motorsports. Is that too hard to understand or does it have to mean that I hate every other form of motorsport (notably NASCAR) because I appreciate F1 more? Great logic there....

He's under less pressure maybe, but he's happier? Happier not winning, scoring consistently, happy not being in a top team? I love the positive spin you put on it. I suppose the grass (artificial it may be) really is greener on the other side of the 'pond'.

As for the drama queen theatrics, my opinion (worthless to you as it may be) has obviously got you worked up to the point where both your posts addressing me have some degree of resentment nuanced within them. If you want to believe Montoya is happy being second rate in NASCAR then fine. You believe it.

You really think he isn't happy, even though he says he is? You really think he would rather be in F1, even though he has been offered rides and turns them down? Why do you think that?

You can't imagine someone rejecting the form of motor sport you worship to the exclusion of all others and it gets your panties in a bunge that Montoya does just that. Like I said before, don't take it personally. He didn't leave F1 to give you fits of apoplexy. Not about you.

Your premise is that he couldn't possibly be happy because you wouldn't be happy doing what he does. False premise.

Come to think of it you should send him an email letting him know you are disappointed with him and that he should come back to F1. I am sure when he finds out you are upset he left he will come back in a flash.

Edited by Xpat, 17 June 2010 - 14:54.

#58 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:00

most of the GT cars look fast too :)

i love the dakar hummers too, they look awesome, specialy on the move :D
http://www.forocompe...h...6406&page=4

#59 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:07

I bet any driver that's done both will tell you that a bad day in NASCAR is more fun than a good day in F1.

Here's a good example of how I can be sure Montoya is happy in NASCAR--some time in his first two seasons, there was a big wreck at the S/F line of a race. He was coming through the carnage and no one was letting off because they were racing to the checkers. He's weaving, dodging, pedal to the metal, and he gets nailed in the right door as he's crossing the finish line...and he lets out an honest-to-goodness rebel yell---"YEE HAW! THAT WAS FUN," he exclaimed to anyone who was listening on his radio frequency.

Who knows where he finished, in the teens or 20s some where, it was one of those races where NASCAR took an hour after the race to review the replays and such to determine finishing order.

But the sound in his voice was the sound of pure joy, like a kid who just took his first ride on an amusement park ride.

Yeah he's fiery and petulant. Welcome to race car driver psychology 101, dumbass. But where else can he get wrecked, get the car fixed, and go back out a few laps later and wreck the guy who wrecked him, with no recriminations? Not from the team, not from the sanctioning body. Then two weeks after that, embrace and joke around with the other protagonist, and pose for buddy pictures? Can you imagine how many times he must have wanted to do that to Schumacher in F1 (except the buddy buddy part)?

Edited by OfficeLinebacker, 17 June 2010 - 15:09.

Advertisement

#60 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:30

Nobody cares about? It is the most popular racing in the U.S. by a landside. You are really need to travel a little more.

Montoya got sick of F1 because it was all about what designer came up with a part to get a team 2/10ths. Just like you hear now "we will have an upgrade soon...." F1 is an engineering series not a driver series. That is why Button went from a backmarker to a world beater.

Sorry.

It should have read "he's an also ran in a sport nobody outside of America cares about".

:D

#61 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:36

You really think he isn't happy, even though he says he is? You really think he would rather be in F1, even though he has been offered rides and turns them down? Why do you think that?

You can't imagine someone rejecting the form of motor sport you worship to the exclusion of all others and it gets your panties in a bunge that Montoya does just that. Like I said before, don't take it personally. He didn't leave F1 to give you fits of apoplexy. Not about you.

Your premise is that he couldn't possibly be happy because you wouldn't be happy doing what he does. False premise.

Come to think of it you should send him an email letting him know you are disappointed with him and that he should come back to F1. I am sure when he finds out you are upset he left he will come back in a flash.

Ouch. I really must have touched a nerve. :D

You really think he is happy getting poor results and fighting to lowly positions, even though "he says he is". That is my point, he didn't come to NASCAR to get poor results. He came to win. Why is that so difficult for you to understand or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

I will email him. In fact, I'll tell him that he has an apologist on Autosport forums for his poor results and whenever he needs a shoulder to cry on Xpat will be there.;)

#62 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 15:45

Sorry.

It should have read "he's an also ran in a sport nobody outside of America cares about".

Yeah I guess Mika Salo, Matthias Ekstrom, Marcos Ambrose, Owen Kelly, Max Papis, et. al. are nobodies.

#63 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:22

I have mixed feeling about this one.

I am sure he is happy where he is...with all the reasons mentioned, but I would love to have him stuck around F1 for a few more years.....our loss really.

The string of poles that he put in at Wiliiams was just brilliant...

#64 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:31

As for being happier? Do you honestly believe he is happier being an also ran in NASCAR? I have nothing against NASCAR, each to their own I suppose. I merely consider F1 the pinnacle of motorsports. Is that too hard to understand or does it have to mean that I hate every other form of motorsport (notably NASCAR) because I appreciate F1 more? Great logic there....

He's under less pressure maybe, but he's happier? Happier not winning, scoring consistently, happy not being in a top team? I love the positive spin you put on it. I suppose the grass (artificial it may be) really is greener on the other side of the 'pond'.

As for the drama queen theatrics, my opinion (worthless to you as it may be) has obviously got you worked up to the point where both your posts addressing me have some degree of resentment nuanced within them. If you want to believe Montoya is happy being second rate in NASCAR then fine. You believe it.

I think your view is skewed by your wanting to live vicariously through the racers you watch. You wouldn't move to nascar IF you were an F1 driver, so why would they? Obviously, they are stupid, and don't have the drive, because they don't do what you would like them to do.

Why not go out and drive if you are such a huge racing fan? I don't mean race in general, just go out and drive and push yourself. At this rate, it seems like you are happy just stroking yourself in the corner with a big middle finger directed at the rest of the world. Things can't always fall in line with your perception.

And you're too defensive. You validate yourself by convincing yourself that everyone is against you. Have a little conviction in your own opinions and stop second guessing yourself. But it's because you know you're wrong.

Edited by Bunchies, 17 June 2010 - 16:32.

#65 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:31

actully his joining nascar brought in alot of fans from around the world too.

carl edwards was surprised at race of champions that he was so popular :D. and that was before he beat schumi ;)

#66 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:40

actully his joining nascar brought in alot of fans from around the world too.

carl edwards was surprised at race of champions that he was so popular :D. and that was before he beat schumi ;)

I started watching nascar for the sole reason of wanting to see more on the edge driving by JPM. Four wheel slide coming off the banking and love tapping the wall? Sick. :smoking:

#67 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 17:16

Sorry.

OK. I can live with that. :lol:

#68 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 17:36

It's a shame, he could have been great (maybe even an all time great) in Formula One - the world's most prestigious and richest sport - if he kept his head and temper in check.

He had many issues, including his fitness.

#69 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 17:50

He had many issues, including his fitness.

There was never anything wrong with JPM's fitness. Weight, yes. Fitness, no. In his Brazilian GP duels with Kimi Raikonnen he wasn't the one resting his head against the cockpit sides. In the intense heat of Hockenheim 2003, at the height of Europe's hottest ever summer, he wasn't the one struggling to stand up straight on the podium...

#70 Marbles

Marbles

• 550 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 18:32

Was able to find this within seconds: ESPN The Magazine Article

Montoya handled the transition with a great deal of tact and avoided blunt statements when discussing his unhapiness with F1. Nevertheless it seems accurate to say that he loathed, yes, even hated, F1 by the time he made the decision to leave. Moreover, he clearly did not enjoy living in Europe.

Looking at a few other articles from my search, it was interesting to note the chasm between the N. American press and the European press on how the story was reported. Writing from NA, I initially thought your request was a bit of petulant sophistry, but I suppose there is at least some grounds for your question.

#71 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 19:16

Ouch. I really must have touched a nerve. :D

You really think he is happy getting poor results and fighting to lowly positions, even though "he says he is". That is my point, he didn't come to NASCAR to get poor results. He came to win. Why is that so difficult for you to understand or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

I will email him. In fact, I'll tell him that he has an apologist on Autosport forums for his poor results and whenever he needs a shoulder to cry on Xpat will be there.;)

So he is secretly crying inside, desperate to return to F1? He gets in front of the camera and puts on his brave face and lies about being happy. All just to make a Autosport.com bulletin board troll angry? You are still making it about you.

He is driving for a team he likes, in a series he likes, in a country he likes, and is working hard to get the team to where they are competitive so they can contend for a title . Because they haven't yet, it is your contention that he is secretly miserable and should return to F1 because that would make him happy. And you know all this because you have super powers and can read minds?

lol, what color is the sky in your world?

#72 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 20:13

There was never anything wrong with JPM's fitness. Weight, yes. Fitness, no. In his Brazilian GP duels with Kimi Raikonnen he wasn't the one resting his head against the cockpit sides. In the intense heat of Hockenheim 2003, at the height of Europe's hottest ever summer, he wasn't the one struggling to stand up straight on the podium...

Under his McLaren contract, he had fitness goals to achieve, not just weight. He failed them, and the team complained of his fatigue and weight (this is F1, not NASCAR).
He was also not supposed to do risky sports, and when he got injured, he lied. He was unprofessional, which is why he got turfed.

#73 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 20:55

He was unprofessional

Yeah like the one time he brought donuts into the garage for the mechanics! Oh boy did he catch some flak for that one! Serves him right for trying to do something nice for the boys and boost morale!

#74 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 21:21

Under his McLaren contract, he had fitness goals to achieve, not just weight. He failed them, and the team complained of his fatigue and weight (this is F1, not NASCAR).
He was also not supposed to do risky sports, and when he got injured, he lied. He was unprofessional, which is why he got turfed.

I could understand the team complaining about his weight (even Williams did that) but fatigue? Nah, sorry, JPM never demonstrated fatigue within an F1 car, unlike Raikonnen. I must however defer to your greater knowledge of JPM's contract. As for risky sports he did some Motocross, the same as Kimi.

#75 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,207 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 21:58

Hey gang :wave:
Look for Chip to ramp up the operation considerably during the next 2 years.
Jp

#76 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 22:46

I could understand the team complaining about his weight (even Williams did that) but fatigue? Nah, sorry, JPM never demonstrated fatigue within an F1 car, unlike Raikonnen. I must however defer to your greater knowledge of JPM's contract. As for risky sports he did some Motocross, the same as Kimi.

To be fair, Montoya did frequently **** things up int he late stages of the races. He spun away a win in Australia in 2003 (?), for example. Making mistakes in the late stages of the race is a tell-tale sign of lack of fitness. Montoya's talent is amazing, but some things you have no choice but to work on, and that's where he came up short. He was never a complete package, unfortunately, and I doubt he'll ever be that in the future.

#77 progrocks

progrocks

• 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 23:31

it seems at least once a week he mentions going to Fogo de Chao on twitter. F1 drivers do not get to enjoy fogo. He is fat and happy, leave the man alone.

#78 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 23:55

JPM never demonstrated fatigue within an F1 car, unlike Raikonnen.

When was this? :well:

#79 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 00:00

No, they're just very different disciplines. Look at the recent spate of ex-F1 drivers that have tried their hand at DTM. Have Hakkinen, Frentzen and Alesi sullied the name of F1 by failing to challenge for the DTM title? (I won't even get into Ralf's performance in the series...:)) And you can't argue that these drivers were too old because Bernd Schneider is about the same age as Alesi and a couple years older than the other two and he was still winning championships.

Advertisement

#80 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 00:05

No, they're just very different disciplines. Look at the recent spate of ex-F1 drivers that have tried their hand at DTM. Have Hakkinen, Frentzen and Alesi sullied the name of F1 by failing to challenge for the DTM title? (I won't even get into Ralf's performance in the series...:)) And you can't argue that these drivers were too old because Bernd Schneider is about the same age as Alesi and a couple years older than the other two and he was still winning championships.

He knows they are different disciplines. Its called fanboyism, and it applies just as much to the NASCAR vs F1 debate as it does to the Mclaren vs Ferrari debate. People like this cant be taken seriously, cuz they clearly dont know what they're talking about.

#81 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 00:16

Jp

I sure hope so, right now he's renting engines and at the mercy of Childress on whether he gets the latest and greatest.
If there is anybody more hungry in US racing, I don't know who it is. He is the only guy out there in USOW at least that gives Penske a run for his money for the last decade, and lives to beat him at Indy. Hopefully he'll apply that no prisoners attitude to his NASCAR operation. TBH, Chips NASCAR operation has been in turmoil over the last few years, what with teaming up with DEI, substantial changes in the crews, crew chiefs, switching engines and even chassis. If there is any team that could do with some stability, it's Chip's.

#82 Marbles

Marbles

• 550 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:57

That is great news, JP.

Thanks for fleshing out some of the issues with Ganassi, whitewater. I've alway been a bit confused about just what the issue is with Ganassi's lackluster Nascar effort. He's had no difficulty attracting and retaining talent in other series. Now that I realize just how "shoestring," comparatively speaking, his Nascar has been, it makes a lot more sense.

#83 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:03

Yeah but Ganassi has that super secret tunnel in the mountains in PA is it? Where he can do straight line aero testing.....

#84 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:07

I sure hope so, right now he's renting engines and at the mercy of Childress on whether he gets the latest and greatest.

The engine shop is owned in partnership with RCR and DEI. They're getting the latest as it's as much about RCR as it is about DEI. TBR, TRG and Furniture Row might not be getting top shelf but Earnhardt Childress Racing Engines is as much of an in house shop for RCR as it is for Earnhardt-Ganassi.

#85 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:15

Yeah but Ganassi has that super secret tunnel in the mountains in PA is it? Where he can do straight line aero testing.....

Yep, PA

Edited by loki, 18 June 2010 - 02:16.

#86 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:52

Jp

I really hope so. What makes you think he will?

#87 Marbles

Marbles

• 550 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:50

Great point. It is, indeed, a relative "shoestring." And I suppose that it partially explains why JPM is so good on long stints previous to the race mid-point.

Since I've got your attention, you and others have suggested that JPM is lacking in desire, hunger, or killer instinct. Personally, I think it's a torque issue.

I've done enough track days that passing should be common place, but I can think of only one more viseral thing than the sight of a rear bumper moving progresively toward me with each lap. Once you realize that the target rear bumper is moving toward you, the lizard brain and the predatory instinct takes over. It's like hearing the good lady wife say, in that inflected tone that only you can hear, "Let's go to bed." Sure, you've spent decades together, but the slightest inflection in her tone is like a red cape flashed before a fighting bull. It defies rational logic and trumps the good night's sleep you should have for tomorrow's daily nonsense. The lizard brain says "GO!," you heed the call and later find yourself wondering what in the hell just happened...and worrying about getting enough sleep.

There is an argument to be made JPM may not be spending enough development time with the team, I suppose. But I find it difficult to believe that JPM, like any other animal bestowed with a lizard brain, doesn't see red when a rational, meaningful passing opportunity presents itself.

I appologize for using sex, a trite and habitually over-used standard, for my comparison. But it's the only totem that comes to mind that can compare with the visceral rush that accompanies the realization that a pass is feasible. It's a full-on, unadulterated lizard brain thing. Like sex, you have full cognition over how it is accomplished, and yes you can obstain from engaging in it (Vettel), but you are absolutely defenseless to that primal, lizard brain rush of chemicals when you realize: I can pass this SOB!!!

In this regard, I find the JPM is fat and happy line of argument to be a bit hollow. A fat and happy bull still rushes the red cape, a married man still rushes eagerly to bed. Both do so under the influence of the lizard brain. Passing is a visceral, not a rational act--one's lifestyle does not stand a chance versus the massive primal, chemical influx to the lizard brain. I used to hunt and fish, but I've given that up. There is nothing as rewarding, predatory, or thrilling, as hunting and symbolically killing another human being--sex rivals it. Racing is that visceral.

Hence my assumption that torque is the correct answer.

Edited by Marbles, 18 June 2010 - 05:20.

#88 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:00

Great point. It is, indeed, a relative "shoestring." And I suppose that it partially explains why JPM is so good on long stints previous to the race mid-point.

The Cup cars are built and prepped by DEI as part of the partnership. Ganassi doesn't do any Cup development on his own. To say that EGR is operating on a shoestring is not accurate. They have access to Windshear, in house pull down and shaker rigs and a very robust engine department in ECR. The Laurel Hill tunnel was last being used for Deltawing development.

#89 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 19:06

jpmontoya Juan Pablo Montoya
Having king taco for lunch today!!! They know how much I like it that a food truck is coming to autoclub speedway!!!!""

From twitter
:rotfl: :rotfl:

I wonder if Kimi finds out what twitter is, hell describe how they hauled an ice cream van just for him in the service points. :)

#90 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:46

Juan is very funny on twitter after races, he's getting just so incredibly fast to home and goes surfing and what not...
I think he's listening more to the old school guys what to do, to guys who nowadays in NASCAR are winning races, but they're hardly scraping into the shoot-out. He's becoming more Dale Jr than Jimmie Johnson. The guys at the very top at NASCAR, they're really professional like in F1, keeping fit, working close with their teams, trying to find every little advantage on the other hand we have guys like Dale Jr who're just chilling out most of the week and JPM is getting into this group... solely expecting his talent to deliver the results.

#91 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 21:27

Juan is very funny on twitter after races, he's getting just so incredibly fast to home and goes surfing and what not...
I think he's listening more to the old school guys what to do, to guys who nowadays in NASCAR are winning races, but they're hardly scraping into the shoot-out. He's becoming more Dale Jr than Jimmie Johnson. The guys at the very top at NASCAR, they're really professional like in F1, keeping fit, working close with their teams, trying to find every little advantage on the other hand we have guys like Dale Jr who're just chilling out most of the week and JPM is getting into this group... solely expecting his talent to deliver the results.

I agree, and as I've said before, I think Juan considers his NASCAR career to be "active retirement." He's not putting blood, sweat, and tears on the line to compete 100%.

Sweat, yes. Tears, yes (listen to him on the radio crying like a baby that the car won't turn). Blood, no.

I think it's unfair to say he's totally, really retired, cos the NASCAR schedule is quite a grind. But he's not 100% committed the way someone like Denny Hamlin and Jimmie Johnson are, you're 100% correct.

#92 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:21

Oh, I think he wants to win, but it's so easy to get bad influences in NASCAR. Very often you can get lucky and win races, thus getting authority and JPM as the new boy will naturally seek advice from old school drivers, crew chiefs or owners. I think he's simply following their advice on how to become a Dale... If we see the old JPM even from F3000, not the lazy one from NASCAR, then he's going to convert some of these top 5s into wins.

#93 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 23:52

Instead he's an also ran in a sport than nobody outside of America really cares about.

:confused:

NASCAR and F1 are equivalently the top two circuit racing series :wave: They have different backgrounds but equivalently prestigious status.

It's like saying Baseball is crap, Cricket rules or Cricket is crap, baseball rules... they are both equal(ly boring ;) )

Also:
(1) Alfa Romeo and FIAT make front wheel drive cars that compete with Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota and the rest. While Ford, Toyota and Chevrolet also make supercars such as the Ford GT, Lexus IFA and 600hp Corvette.
(2) Ford beat Ferrari at Le Mans.
:cool:

#94 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 00:17

:confused:

NASCAR and F1 are equivalently the top two circuit racing series :wave: They have different backgrounds but equivalently prestigious status.

MotoGP? ;)

#95 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25

Here is a tweet from Jenson Button:

Toad-in-a-hole and spotted dick! Hope they bring this food trolley to Australia! No shrimp on the barbie for me.

#96 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:34

MotoGP?;)

For four wheels ;)

My bad, of course MotoGP is up there for two wheels. Truly, outside of Spain and Italy, GP car racing (and NASCAR) is generally more popular than GP bike racing, in fact I think.

Although Johnson, Hamilton and Rossi are all well known... Earnhardt Jr (or Kyle Busch) and Massa (or Barrichello or Button) are better known than Stoner and Spies etc across a broad survey sample I would expect (include Mexico, Canada etc where NASCAR is popular and Britain and Finland etc where F1 is well known) for example. Other than Rossi, the MotoGP riders are poorly known AFAIK. I would expect few public to identify Lorenzo from photo compared to Schumi or jeff gordon.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 01 March 2011 - 06:35.

#97 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:58

I'd be very surprised if many people in EU can identify Jimmie Johnson or Dale Jr. MotoGP is by far more popular than NASCAR and EU is some 800 mil, against 300 mil USA. The same is for South America.
NASCAR is popular in the US, but thanks to the long races and late hours, it's hard for it to get popular in EU. Just like F1, it will never be popular in the US because of the times it's broadcasted.

#98 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:17

I'd be very surprised if many people in EU can identify Jimmie Johnson

JJ goes to the ROC though, so he might get the edge over other stalwarts like say Denny Hamlin/Kyle Busch. Not to mention his five (? I've lost count) championships in a row!

#99 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:57

well plenty of people dont really know of le mans, isle of man, dakar, and other big events....

expanding to 4 cars might help

chip and roger have never been the giants in stock car that they are in other catagories either

Advertisement

#100 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 17:39

Never saw this video before: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Didnt knew that character from Talladega nights was modeled on Juan :)