Photo

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:49

New name and new organizing group (SCRAMP) and the usual very impressive entry list. If I can get my knee "fixed" might make one more trip to see the Trans-Am cars. Dan Gurney and his cars will be the invited guests.

Any TNF'rs planning to attend?

Robert Barg

Edited by oldtransamdriver, 18 June 2010 - 05:52.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:54

SCRAMP sounds like the old organising group. Have they been away?

#3 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:09

David, I don't know the inner workings. I think SCRAMP have always been involved, but now they are front and centre since Steve Earle is gone from this event.

Robert Barg

#4 horizon

horizon

• 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 13:29

Yes Robert...with the Tad Davies 62 Corvette :)

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 15:15

Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula--I think I have that right.
They were the people who supplied the workers while Steve Earle was the creator/organizer/promoter.
SCRAMP finally concluded that they could do it without Steve and pulled the plug on him. He has a similar event at Sears Point Raceway/Infinion organized.

#6 smbrm

smbrm

• 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 17:00

I know it it has been reported that Dan Gurney and his cars are invited guests, however there appears to be nothing on the website to indicate that this is a feature of the racing weekend. If it is still true it seems very odd that they would not be promoting this as a major attraction to the event?

#7 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:48

Dan Gurney and his cars are mentioned this webpage:

http://www.mazdarace...rsports_Reunion

I understand Cris Vandagriff and HMSA, along with SCRAMP, have taken over organization of the event from Steve Earle and General Racing.

Phil Dauphinee and I are planning to attend, and Robert Barg might come with us if his knee is better, right, Robert?

Vince H.

#8 smbrm

smbrm

• 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 17:07

Yes, thanks , I did see that eventually, but it seemed a minor mention for a potentially big deal display. I have since had confirmation from Laguna that the theme is on, but they do not yet have a list of Gurney cars to be displayed. In addition to Dan's personal collection there are probably many privately owned cars that would surely enhance such a gathering. I would hope that they are also in attendance.

I know Phil, so I may see you there!

Stephen

Dan Gurney and his cars are mentioned this webpage:

http://www.mazdarace...rsports_Reunion

I understand Cris Vandagriff and HMSA, along with SCRAMP, have taken over organization of the event from Steve Earle and General Racing.

Phil Dauphinee and I are planning to attend, and Robert Barg might come with us if his knee is better, right, Robert?

Vince H.

#9 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 17:36

SCRAMP is the non profit organization that runs the race way and has since the early days. Steve Earl would basically rent the track to put on the event. So SCRAMP has always been around it's Steve Earl that is gone now since he has the rights to the name of the event that is why the name changed.

Buck

#10 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 18:04

They may have been 'non profit' until now but have no illusions about the value of what Steve Earl created.

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 21:42

It'll interesting to see how successful they are without Steve Earle. I have to admit I found Debbie Earle beyond difficult and very rude to boot.

Steve, however, knew exactly what he was doing. I think SCRAMP is dreaming.

#12 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 23:11

I always got on with Debbie, but then, I had a crush on her back when I truly thought she was Steve's secretary... :love:

The situation with the Monterey Historics rather reminds me of the situation at Donington-one man with vision and drive started it and made it work. Now those who see easy money move in.

#13 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:33

Phil Dauphinee and I will be leaving early Tuesday, Aug. 10 from Victoria, B.C. via Port Angeles, Washington to head down to the Monterey Reunion and should be back late Monday, Aug 16. We have room for maybe one or two more enthusiasts. If you are interested, let me know ASAP.

David Birchall is going to Pebble Beach as noted elsewhere.

Stephen will also be at Monterey, and Horizon with the Corvette. Any other TNFers going to Monterey? If so, can we arrange a meeting time and place? Maybe at Horizon's Corvette at some point?

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 02 August 2010 - 05:37.

#14 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:44

I'll be there, doing the coverage for Pur Sang (Magazine of the American Bugatti Club). Group 4A is all Bugattis, 39 cars on the grid. For old geezers who like prewar cars, this is as good as it gets.

Woody

#15 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:32

I will be going to the races on Friday and probably part of Saturday-I really want to see those Bugattis!

#16 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:52

Apparently, the Bugattis will be practising and qualifying on the Thursday, will not be running at all at the track on the Friday, and on the Saturday, their qualifying race will be at 9:10, and their Rolex race will be at 2:40. Will they be somewhere else on the Friday?

Vince H.

#17 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

• 129 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:13

Just announced on the Mazda Raceway site, Sir Stirling Moss will be there and driving his RS61 Porsche.

ms

#18 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:42

I will drive from Ojai, CA on Thursday, staying through Sunday at Laguna Seca -- with brief forays to Carmel-by-the-Sea, Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach.

I never would have guessed the event would be wrested from the hands of Steve Earle while he was still vertical. I expect some charm will be lost, but perhaps improvements will be made. At the awards ceremony last year support was shown for the founder of the event by the many hats bearing the acronym FoSE (Friends of Steve Earle).

Mark

Edited by Mark Godfrey, 04 August 2010 - 06:45.

#19 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 14:23

Can't make it for 2010 but planning already for 2011 - does anyone know likely dates? I believe "Pebble Beach" Concours is on Sunday 21 August 2011, so "Monterey Weekend" should be 19-21 August 2011??

Advertisement

#20 Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen

• 191 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:02

We'll be there. Flying to SFO tomorrow.

#21 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:24

There will 37 Historic GP cars entered...so I've been told.

#22 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:25

How many FoDE hats were there in the audience? :mad:

#23 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:37

This from horizon:

"...Yes, the TNf'ers can meet at the vette (#15 1962 Corvette in group 4B) I'll keep the Chilly bin stocked :0)..."

Shall we meet there on Saturday at 10 am? Horizon, will you be there on the Saturday if you are not racing that day?

So far, I have the following TNFers coming to Monterey:

David Birchall
Phil Dauphinee
Mark Godfrey
Wouter Melissen
David Woodhouse
Stephen (smbrm)
and me

Vince Howlett

#24 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:41

This from horizon:

"...Yes, the TNf'ers can meet at the vette (#15 1962 Corvette in group 4B) I'll keep the Chilly bin stocked :0)..."

Shall we meet there on Saturday at 10 am? Horizon, will you be there on the Saturday if you are not racing that day?

David Birchall
Phil Dauphinee
Mark Godfrey
Wouter Melissen
David Woodhouse
Stephen (smbrm)
and me

Vince Howlett

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

#25 John Brundage

John Brundage

• 309 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 18:46

This from horizon:

David Birchall
Phil Dauphinee
Mark Godfrey
Wouter Melissen
David Woodhouse
Stephen (smbrm)
and me

Vince Howlett

I'll be there this weekend only

#26 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:00

I hope to be there on the 14th, and if so will make it a point to swing by and try to catch some of you.

#27 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:58

I hope to be there on the 14th, and if so will make it a point to swing by and try to catch some of you.

Will you also be looking up former Formula Atlantic racers, like Dan Marvin/Jon Norman, and Bobby Rahal?

Vince H.

#28 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 13:04

If I make it I'll be looking up any of my old mates...drivers, mechanics, owners...of which I would expect to see a fair number.

I'm dealing with a troublesome hip so I'm still not sure whether or not I'll be up to trip over there and trundling about the paddock.

#29 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:38

I thought I had heard that there will be a photo shoot on Wednesday of Dan Gurney with his cars. Does anybody if/when/what time this might be happening?

Vince H.

#30 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 19:49

I thought I had heard that there will be a photo shoot on Wednesday of Dan Gurney with his cars. Does anybody if/when/what time this might be happening?

Vince H.

You should call the Laguna office, or maybe check their website. Unfortunately I don't have their number at hand.

#31 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 22:57

Vince H.

Cars only (not Dan) at 2:45 on Wed. according to Jennifer (the Media Contact). Perhaps the usual on track group shot, between turns three & four -- a day earlier than in the past?

Mark

#32 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 00:53

Cars only (not Dan) at 2:45 on Wed. according to Jennifer (the Media Contact). Perhaps the usual on track group shot, between turns three & four -- a day earlier than in the past?

Mark

Thanks, Mark! Yes, there is practice all day Thursday this year, so I think they moved the track group shot to Wednesday.

Vince H.

#33 Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen

• 191 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:08

Judging from the Pre-Reunion, the organisatory changes are clearly noticeable. Whether they entail improvements is too early to tell but I do fear that the 20-race schedule is just too packed. Any way, the real reason we all come is the cars and there will certainly not be a lack of quality this year. Already spotted two Eagle F1s in the paddock, including the Climax engined prototype.

We have just put a taster of the event online for all of you to enjoy: http://www.ultimatec...rari-250-P.html

#34 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

• 129 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:49

I will be at the Embassy Suites Tuesday am for the art show, anyone going for that?? Home tomorrow afternoon then back to Monterey for the weekend. Looking forward to meeting some of the group Saturday at 10am. If anyone is attending the art show tomorrow, my cell is (916) 600-3742.

ms

#35 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 22:00

A basic 19 page PDF of the entries by group
http://www.mazdarace...ist_for_Web.pdf

Noteworthy for Sunday is the stock car group (6B) and at the end of the day 9B, the large group of F1 cars.
Not sure when the Group 6L, U2 Trans-Am cars run -- the only "L" group of the weekend, and apparently not a typo.
The big-bore Trans-Am group on Sat (7A) shows about 43 entries -- sorta glad I don't have a photo vest for this one.

Mark
- - -

#36 horizon

horizon

• 71 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 23:07

Horizon is parked at row c ,parking spot # 36 .blue/white #15 62 corvette . Ten o'clock sat. For photos.

#37 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:35

Horizon is parked at row c ,parking spot # 36 .blue/white #15 62 corvette . Ten o'clock sat. For photos.

I'll be there, doing signings at the Green Mountain and Wine Country books stalls. It will be great to put faces to some American TNF-ers' names.
Woody, will you be at the Chaminade Resort when the American Bugatti Club Rally kicks off? I'm doing a talk there on Monday evening, 16 August. Hope to see you there too!
Paul

#38 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:02

The Monterey Historics TNF-ers yesterday morning. From left to right: Tony Garmey (Horizon), Mike Summers, Vince Howlett (raceannouncer2003), Paul Kenny (P0wderf1nger), Mark Godfrey and Stephen Miller (smbrm)

Posted Image

Click the image to see a bigger version. Or click here for the full resolution image.

It was a great pleasure to meet you all. Thanks to Tony for hosting us.

Overall impressions from a Brit making his first visit. A wonderful spectating circuit, a bit like Brands without the trees and with the sunshine (at least in the afternoon!), and the same friendly ambience as Goodwood, but much easier to take paddock photos. I look forward to coming again!

Best wishes

Paul

#39 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:03

The Monterey Historics TNF-ers yesterday morning. From left to right: Tony Garmey (Horizon), Mike Summers, Vince Howlett (raceannouncer2003), Paul Kenny (P0wderf1nger), Mark Godfrey and Stephen Miller (smbrm)

And I thought British TNFers were the ones with funny hats :lol:

Advertisement

#40 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:28

Did anyone attend the Automobilia show at Embassy Suites on tues and Wed ?? If so what was trade like. I hear thet the price of trade booths at the circuit has gone up in price this year.

#41 barrykin

barrykin

• 76 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 21:10

Full Monterey Reunion results and two photo galleries can be found here:

http://www.sportscar....photo-gallery/

Posted Image

#42 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 13:52

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you guys on Saturday--I was up at the corkscrew when I realized what time it was... Anyway, I didn't get too many pics this time. I planned on taking a lot more on Sunday, but something came up at home and I wasn't able to make it both days...

I tried to get lots of detail shots of both 19's that were there: http://www.pbase.com...a_2010&page=all

Joe

#43 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 15:32

I arrived home yesterday evening after driving down and back with a friend in a Boxster S-not a bad way to cover 2500 fast miles!

The Automobilia show was good but they were trying to charge $15 entry fee! I just walked in as did others. Lots of good stuff but pricey.

I spent almost two days helping Peter Giddings remove that wonderful rear axle assembly from his Alfa P3 and then reinstall it so that the gearbox could be swapped after it was found to have a chipped tooth. photos to phollow.

I then spent two days helping a friend prepare his Talbot 105 for the Pebble Beach Conkers. The car had just finished a ten year restoration by Ed Arnold, owner of GP Alta #57. Perhaps Ed can now get to work on the Alta. We were disappointed that the Talbot did not win any prizes but in the same class were the "Best of Show" Delage that had just received a million dollar restoration, a Bugatti T55 and two Bugatti T57 cabriolets... Presumably an 'Early English Perpendicular' cannot make it against French flair.

As a result I saw very little of the racing-I was very impressed with Charles Dean's wonderful Bugatti T51-talk about 'Aura of Reek'! It looks like a well worn penny but goes like the clappers and sounds wonderful.

#44 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 19:39

Interested in photos of 105.What is it?

#45 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 20:09

Interested in photos of 105.What is it?

1933 AV105 James Young Tourer:

Posted Image

Owner Robert Follows on right, son Jasper next to him, then me, Art Vanderstar, Phil Entwhistle.

That is $10,000 worth of re-chroming you are looking at!

Arriving on the field:
Posted Image

Edited by David Birchall, 18 August 2010 - 20:16.

#46 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 20:48

Thanks,not many James Young bodied cars around.

Well done.

#47 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 21:16

Friend and I hump the back axle assembly out of Peter Giddings Alfa P3:
Posted Image
The four speed box fitted in the car in NZ was found to have a chipped tooth on 2nd gear upon first trial-Peter had a spare 3 speed box and that was fitted in place.

#48 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:43

David--Is Peter Giddings a friend of yours? I absolutely love his cars. He and his Alfas are fixtures at Laguna and Infineon. In fact, at this year's historic races at Infineon, Giddings completely obliterated the field in his 1935 Tipo 8C-35. In a 12 lap race, he lapped the slowest cars 3 times!!

Joe

#49 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:03

I have known and raced against Peter for over 30 years-but not for some years now. It is interesting; Peter has fantastic cars but unlike the other big-shot drivers he doesn't boast or show off-he just drives very well. He has no pit crew-apart from Judy who is priceless-but depends on people who are fascinated with his cars to help when help is needed. We removed and replaced the rear axle but Peter paid a mechanic-an English guy named Jeremy to do the gearbox work-Peter complained he was 'bloody expensive' but he hasn't got my bill yet...

Edited by David Birchall, 19 August 2010 - 04:05.

#50 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:26

Aside from the accidents, I'm curious as to what everyone's opinion is of the "New Monterey?" Has anything really changed? I couldn't make it down this year, but next year maybe. Any word on what the marque or who the personality might be?

Robert Barg