Photo

Silverstone Preview

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 478 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:31

Seems there's a slight chance of rain Sunday. We'll see.

Red Bull territory with Mclaren upgrade on the wire of the championship challenge.
Ferrari could only see next Saturday the real performance of their Valencia package. Hopefully they get much better, otherwise better pray for rain.

So far 3 teams and 5 drivers with wins - not really much change of this statistic change till the end of the year.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:05

Watershed race in several ways. Will the Mac update work. Are Ferrari finished. Is Webbo finished. Is Jenson going to stay in contention.

Key weekend, I'm gonna be glued :up: .

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:08

Hoping for a hot dry weekend. Last few years have been cold and/or wet, bored with that now. Looking forward to seeing the new layout open for F1 action. Will be interesting to see all the changes in the flesh.

#4 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:27

What a lovely sight to see on this board - a thread called Silverstone Preview.

Think back to a couple of years ago (or more), when it was conceivable that, by this point in time, there may have been no Grand Prix at Silverstone, or even a British Grand Prix of any description.

F1 fans in Britain should remember this, especially if the race on Sunday ends up as a procession - though with the new track layout and the season thus far, the omens are looking good for a half decent race.

It is a shame in some ways though that the circuit has had to be altered, though it has been many times over the years and still retains some of its original character. Still, better a GP at a changed Silverstone than an unchanged track with no GP.

Rightly or wrongly, Bernie decided that the facilities at Silverstone had to change if it were to stay on the F1 calendar in the longer term. Full credit to the BRDC for making sure that the necessary changes are occuring. All appears to be working out well - though it is obviously a shame that Donington was affected so much by this whole debacle.

#5 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:34

Does look like a bit of a chance of some light rain for Sunday, though some forecasts say it should stay dry. However 1 thing is almost certain, and that's that whether it rains or not over the 3 days, it won't be cold. Seems like the chances of it being below 20 degrees on any of the 3 days (during the track action anyway, rather than overnight), are relatively low. Think if anything it'll be a case of "don't forget your suncream and hat" rather than "don't forget your umbrella and jacket".

#6 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:36

It is a shame in some ways though that the circuit has had to be altered, though it has been many times over the years and still retains some of its original character. Still, better a GP at a changed Silverstone than an unchanged track with no GP.

Rightly or wrongly, Bernie decided that the facilities at Silverstone had to change if it were to stay on the F1 calendar in the longer term. Full credit to the BRDC for making sure that the necessary changes are occuring. All appears to be working out well - though it is obviously a shame that Donington was affected so much by this whole debacle.

To be fair, Bernie was more referring to improved pit/paddock facilities, fans etc, than changing the track. After all, what good is a changed track to Bernie if he doesn't feel other facilities at the track are up to scratch?

#7 Mansell4PM

Mansell4PM

• 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:54

To be fair, Bernie was more referring to improved pit/paddock facilities, fans etc, than changing the track. After all, what good is a changed track to Bernie if he doesn't feel other facilities at the track are up to scratch?

To be fair to Bernie again (having been to Silverstone on a number of occasions from the mid-90s on), he had a very good point about the facilities.

So you're right - the changes to the track are not really down to Bernie. In fact, I don't think he ever had a problem with the track layout or anything like that (though I stand to be corrected if anyone knows differently).

I think the track has been changed for a variety of reasons (not least to appeal more to Moto GP). The changes that have occured has allowed for a bit or re-organisation of the site layout, which in turn has made it possible to start introducing better pit facilities etc. (some of the things Bernie was calling for) in the next few years.

Providing all this expense doesn't bankrupt the circuit/BRDC, will Bernie be remembered for having done the right thing by Silverstone? After all, if all goes to plan, the circuit as a whole (by which I mean access, facilities, safety, etc.) will be immeasurably better in most cases than say 10 years ago, and probably well set for a bright future.

Long live Silverstone!

#8 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:33

just 6 days till race!
cant hardly wait till the racing-weekend starts.

i think it will be all about rb
than we will see mclaren and ferrari (coz the update didnt brought the big improvement) battling for 3-6!

rain?
why not ;)

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:45

Bernie doesn't give a damn about the fans. Any improvements he wanted was purely for the wining and dining of the celebs and not because it would actually improve the sport.

#10 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:22

According to Antony Davidson in his track preview in Motorsport, the Maggotts-Becketts-Chapel section be faster too. Although the layout is generally the same, the curbs have been reprofiled (for the motorbikes) and he expects drivers to be able to attack them in a way they couldn't before.

Alas, there also seems to be a consensus that into the arena section won't be the overtaking spot it was first mooted to be.

#11 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:50

I think that the British GP will prove to be the defining race of the season.

If McLaren want to win the titles they need to step up and be able to beat Red Bull on this type of circuit where efficient downforce is king.
Such has been the rate of development this year that I am cautiously optimistic that the Macs EFD will be successful and that they will be (at least) very close to beating them here.

Ferrari will need to show a lot more than they did at Valencia to be a threat - when you consider how they were in Turkey.
I love Silverstone as a track and think it will help produce a good race whatever the weather.

I did not expect Red Bull to win in Valencia, the fact that they did shows just how good they are. Silverstone should very much play to the strengths of the RB6 and they are going to be very tough to beat here.

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:02

According to Antony Davidson in his track preview in Motorsport, the Maggotts-Becketts-Chapel section be faster too. Although the layout is generally the same, the curbs have been reprofiled (for the motorbikes) and he expects drivers to be able to attack them in a way they couldn't before.

Interesting. Pity in a way though, hope they still have to really steer and slow through it.

#13 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:32

I think that the British GP will prove to be the defining race of the season.

If McLaren want to win the titles they need to step up and be able to beat Red Bull on this type of circuit where efficient downforce is king.
Such has been the rate of development this year that I am cautiously optimistic that the Macs EFD will be successful and that they will be (at least) very close to beating them here.

Ferrari will need to show a lot more than they did at Valencia to be a threat - when you consider how they were in Turkey.
I love Silverstone as a track and think it will help produce a good race whatever the weather.

I did not expect Red Bull to win in Valencia, the fact that they did shows just how good they are. Silverstone should very much play to the strengths of the RB6 and they are going to be very tough to beat here.

Hamilton just wasn't in the position to challenge Vettel with a broken front wing and a drive-through penalty. I still believe that the McLaren was the quicker car in the race.

Silverstone will play to the strengths of McLaren with the straights and high-speed corners. It's easy to heat up the tyres there too.

#14 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 717 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:43

Hamilton just wasn't in the position to challenge Vettel with a broken front wing and a drive-through penalty. I still believe that the McLaren was the quicker car in the race.

Silverstone will play to the strengths of McLaren with the straights and high-speed corners. It's easy to heat up the tyres there too.

I thought that the high speed corners is where they struggled, especially against RB.

#15 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:30

If Turkey T8 is anything to go by, and of course RBR's performance last year, then Silverstone is RBR's ideal hunting ground.

However.

I point you all to this lap, we all remember it im sure because it was epic!

The point being, expect the RBR's to nail the 1st sector, then expect Mclaren/Ferrari to be close if not quicker in the others ;-)!

#16 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:42

I thought that the high speed corners is where they struggled, especially against RB.

They only struggle against RBR. McLaren is usually second-fastest around those corners.

The reason why it was so slow through T8 in Turkey was because they ran less wings to be faster in S1 and S3.

Edited by mkay, 05 July 2010 - 13:45.

#17 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 717 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:43

If Turkey T8 is anything to go by, and of course RBR's performance last year, then Silverstone is RBR's ideal hunting ground.

However.

The point being, expect the RBR's to nail the 1st sector, then expect Mclaren/Ferrari to be close if not quicker in the others ;-)!

Great clip :up: the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I heard that screaming engine.

#18 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:46

Red Bull- Obviously going to be quick through becketts, maggots part. Not sure about the straights though.

McLaren- Quick down straights, big bonus considering it's the quickest track now. Big upgrade should help them massively through the high speed corners and hopefully catch red bull more.

Ferrari- Mechanical grip car should suffer around the high speed section, decent on straights.

The way i see it, McLaren VS Red Bull

#19 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:48

That was one hell of a lap. I don't ever remember someone going from 0.4 down to pole.

Silverstone should be Red Bulls track. Lots of fast and medium corners, no extremely long straights; that's supposed to be what they like the most. I won't write Ferrari off because perhaps their Valencia updates will be more effective on a track where aero is more important. Same thing for McLaren, they might take a step or two forward with their updates, but we can't be sure until qualifying is over.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised with a Red Bull 1-2 and a big scrap for the last podium spot between Ferrari and McLaren.

Advertisement

#20 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:56

Surely T3 & T7/8 on Circuit de Catalunya and T8 at Turkey must be treated as pointers towards the British GP, as there are several high-speed sweepers there too, real aero-corners. I'm very sure we'll see more of Red Bull versus McLaren; Red Bull for pole, but an updated McLaren may show even better race-pace than before, so it could well be one of the McLaren-brits standing on top of the podium!
Ferrari must show a marked improvement in their performance this weekend and I think they will. Surely Mercedes will be able to extract more from their Valencia-updates too.
Renault/Kubica will as always be there for a handful of points - perhaps getting sixth on merit is a possibility?
Williams was very fast here last year, but I don't think they'll show the same kind of form this year. Perhaps they'll be able to squeeze into Q3, 'cause they bolted on good improvements for Valencia so if that works well here too, a point or two must be the aim.
Force India should, on paper, be fast, so we might have the tighest fight for grid-spots on Silverstone ever!

Lookin' very, very much forward to it!

Edited by race addicted, 05 July 2010 - 13:58.

#21 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:59

Ferrari really aced the first sector that year!

That was Mclarens first (and only?) pole that year and the first real sign that they had turned their 2004 season around. I'll never forget the smile on Ron's face after that.

I think qualifying will still be a RedBull 1-2 but this season it's been difficult to draw conclusions from that 20min session. If both Mclarens line-up 3rd and 4th I believe it will be a race long battle between the two teams like in Turkey.

But of course if it rains everything get's turned upside down!

#22 Jeag

Jeag

• 963 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 14:03

McLaren have never struggled in high speed corners this year, i don't know where you got that idea from, it's just Redbull are even better through the high speed stuff. McLaren have struggled a bit in the slower stuff compared to the Ferrari, Merc, Renault and RedBull, but that seems to have been mostly solved now and was more a problem earlier in the year.

#23 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 14:15

That was one hell of a lap. I don't ever remember someone going from 0.4 down to pole.

Silverstone should be Red Bulls track. Lots of fast and medium corners, no extremely long straights; that's supposed to be what they like the most. I won't write Ferrari off because perhaps their Valencia updates will be more effective on a track where aero is more important. Same thing for McLaren, they might take a step or two forward with their updates, but we can't be sure until qualifying is over.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised with a Red Bull 1-2 and a big scrap for the last podium spot between Ferrari and McLaren.

Ferrari will be a solid points finisher in around fourth or fifth, can't see them beating the McLaren of Hamilton (Button may struggle).

We saw in Turkey when the McLaren is full of fuel - it's blisteringly quick. Red Bull may be able to get the best out of their tyres over a single lap, but that won't help in the race when it's full of fuel and when the McLaren's tyres are up to temp.

#24 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 14:41

I predict a slow backmarker to get in the way again and ruin the race of a key runner....

#25 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:18

Time has flown by, can't wait to see the new circuit in action :)

Here to a Macca one-two :)

#26 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:14

Hamilton changed his front wing at his 1 and only pitstop under the SC.

#27 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:21

Hamilton changed his front wing at his 1 and only pitstop under the SC.

Yeah, without the stop n go we were looking at a great battle, Lewis was on course to catch and hassle him for the rest of the race, and Sebi had some tyre damage from his lockup.

Maybe we'll get it this this weekend.

#28 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:35

just 6 days till race!
cant hardly wait till the racing-weekend starts.

i think it will be all about rb
than we will see mclaren and ferrari (coz the update didnt brought the big improvement) battling for 3-6!

rain?
why not ;)

Red Bull should qualify and do well. I do expect Alonso to be especially fired up for this race after the events of Valencia, he would love to beat McLaren in their home gp. Hamiltons words after the fact will also be a motivator for Alonso, probably not a smart move by Hamilton.

So Redbulls followed by Alonso and then the McLarens.

#29 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:43

Ferrari will be a solid points finisher in around fourth or fifth, can't see them beating the McLaren of Hamilton (Button may struggle).

We saw in Turkey when the McLaren is full of fuel - it's blisteringly quick. Red Bull may be able to get the best out of their tyres over a single lap, but that won't help in the race when it's full of fuel and when the McLaren's tyres are up to temp.

We don't know how the new section will effect it but silverstone isn't exactly an overtaking friendly track. If the RBs qualify ahead then it might be down to trying to jump them at the stops, macca's pit work hasn't exactly been slick so far...

#30 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:56

I wonder how the new part of the track will effect the tyres, or is that not a factor?

#31 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:59

I wonder how the new part of the track will effect the tyres, or is that not a factor?

It will affect them more apparently.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/85008

Sorry I had to do it

#32 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 18:01

Cool! I love that tyre pic. I want high tyre degradation always for action packed races! :D

#33 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,065 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 19:01

Cool! I love that tyre pic. I want high tyre degradation always for action packed races! :D

know what ya mean

theres just something awesome about F1 tyres, then again i guess we're just addicts and we've resorted to drooling over warn bridgstone's between race weekends :p

#34 covphoenix

covphoenix

• 52 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 19:08

Am really looking forward to the weekend, it should be exciting, even if it stays dry, it will be my first time back to the track since 08 grand prix, :clap:

#35 ron_dennis

ron_dennis

• 282 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 19:13

I think the track will favor the redbull cars, but predict that the redbull drivers will switch back to championship suicide again!

I think this season dispels the notion that you can put any driver in the best car and they will walk the championship. I mean honestly Redbull drivers should be leading this championship by a huge margin.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Silverstone and what he section will bring to the race.

#36 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 19:49

Hoping for a hot dry weekend. Last few years have been cold and/or wet, bored with that now. Looking forward to seeing the new layout open for F1 action. Will be interesting to see all the changes in the flesh.

ditto, just checked it and looks like it should be mid to high 20's, reeeeeeeeeesult.

#37 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:20

I think RB will blitz the hell out of qualifying.

#38 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:25

I think RB will blitz the hell out of qualifying.

not if i can help it..
Posted Image

#39 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 22:27

Breaking news is that the Premier Inn at Silverstone is on fire in a major incident being attended to by eight appliances.
Hopefully all guests are safely accounted for, however as the article says it was due to be the temporary home this weekend for fans attending the Grand Prix.

Let's hope those potentially affected are offered reasonable alternative accomodation nearby...

http://www.northampt...with.6401977.jp

Advertisement

#40 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 22:37

Breaking news is that the Premier Inn at Silverstone is on fire in a major incident being attended to by eight appliances.
Hopefully all guests are safely accounted for, however as the article says it was due to be the temporary home this weekend for fans attending the Grand Prix.

Let's hope those potentially affected are offered reasonable alternative accomodation nearby...

http://www.northampt...with.6401977.jp

I'd be surprised if there are any alternatives nearby that are not already fully booked.

#41 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:09

However.

Great lap but listen to that awful traction control out of the turns. Hopefully we'll never hear that again.

#42 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:52

my reliable sources tell me williams have an straight line test today...;)

Edited by Brandz07, 06 July 2010 - 06:54.

#43 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:22

my reliable sources tell me williams have an straight line test today...;)

At Kemble airfield.

#44 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:17

If you were intending to stay at the Premier Inn at Brackley Hatch (behind The Green Man) on the A43 near Silverstone, it has been completely destroyed by fire.

The advice given is as follows:

1) Contact Premier Inn to discuss your booking.
2) http://www.silversto...modation.co.uk/ has a comprehensive list of all accommodation in and around Silverstone village.
3) Alternatively contact James on 0871 384 9936* or email him: james@silverstone-accommodation.co.uk

#45 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:48

know what ya mean

theres just something awesome about F1 tyres, then again i guess we're just addicts and we've resorted to drooling over warn bridgstone's between race weekends :p

Yep I never tyre of loving F1 tyres :D

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:30

However.

Not wishing to go off topic but how did they get away with the Marlboro branding seen at around 28s into the vid?

On topic that's a good lap, but obviously the McLaren was set up for the tighter, slower stuff at the end of the lap whereas the Ferrari was better through the quick stuff.

#47 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:07

Yep I never tyre of loving F1 tyres :D

You are always so corny haha its enjoyable though. Keep it up. It is an art form i might add.

#48 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:35

Rather bemused that the Canberra Milk Kid suggests the new Abbey corner is an ideal place for overtaking. What? Flat out at 180mph?!!

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#49 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 14:53

Rather bemused that the Canberra Milk Kid suggests the new Abbey corner is an ideal place for overtaking. What? Flat out at 180mph?!!

They don't have the new track layout in the simulator.

They didn't show any of the new sections of track and you can see Webber turning left into Abbey. :p

Edited by johnmhinds, 06 July 2010 - 15:09.

#50 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,065 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:06

i didnt actually see much out of that video... stupidity, why do i want to look at marc webber driving a simulator, should have pointed the camera at the screen the entire time not mark webbers face