Photo

Alonso Silverstone 2010 Penalty

• Please log in to reply
1535 replies to this topic

#1 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:48

Alonso doesn't deserve a penalty - that's ridiculous!

Advertisement

#2 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:50

Posted Image

videos

Edited by VoRteX, 14 July 2010 - 13:53.

#3 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:50

Agree - far too harsh IMO. There's precedent for a 5s penalty after the race isn't there?

But the safety car makes it harder too.

#4 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:51

no sorry, he does, should have let RK through immediately ... and Ferrari should have told him to

#5 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:52

*throws-up hands*

#6 mcguin

mcguin

• 157 posts

Shame on the stewards again...

#7 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

FIA should have taken into account how Kubica essentially pushed him off the track.

Alonso getting done badly here.

#8 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

I'm seething.

That was ridiculous.

Now with the goddam safety car its going to put him back to last!

And I'm not even an Alonso fan! I just want to see a good race! The stewards need to keep the hell away for once, not running with their power trip every time they have a sniff of an opportunity to screw someone over.

#9 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

A clear cut case. Overtake illegally and get a penalty. Simple as. :cool:

#10 mcguin

mcguin

• 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:53

no sorry, he does, should have let RK through immediately ... and Ferrari should have told him to

mmm, no

#11 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Need some of your Ferrari fans remember Kimi vs Lewis at Spa? Kimi pushed lewis off and lewis STILL had to give it back.

Now in my mind the fact Fa was ahead is pointless cos he never made the pass.

Secondly had Alonso given the place back straight away he wouldn't be in this position so Alonso is to blame.

#12 Arska

Arska

• 944 posts

He had the chance to let Kubica back past after passing off the track, he chose not to. If he thinks Kubica was unfair, he should have asked his team to protest it. Them's the breaks, dear Fernando.

#13 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

This penalty is correct according to FIA precedent. When Hamilton "passed" Kimi at Spa 08, he was giving a drive thru (in the form of a 25 sec penalty at the end of the race)

Alonso shouldve IMMEDIATELY given the position back, as per FIA precedent when they clarified the rule, but didnt. Hence, DT DESERVED!

KARMA IS A BITCH AINT IT FERNANDO?

#14 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:54

I'm so angry I can't believe it! I need to throw something at something. If I was Alonso I would just park it and tell them all to get f***cked.

#15 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Alonso broke the rules, and letting Kubica back through would have been the correct procedure. But a drive through because Kubica broke down? madness!

#16 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Need some of your Ferrari fans remember Kimi vs Lewis at Spa? Kimi pushed lewis off and lewis STILL had to give it back.

Secondly had Alonso given the place back straight away he wouldn't be in this position so Alonso is to blame.

100% agree!

#17 Sukhoi

Sukhoi

• 328 posts

As a robert fan , i wash my hands out from it

i mean , no harm done ...

#18 mcguin

mcguin

• 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:55

Overtaking sc deserves the same penalty as this... pfff

#19 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Agree - far too harsh IMO. There's precedent for a 5s penalty after the race isn't there?

No. It's a drive-thru or a 20 second penalty post-race. But they can do the penalty in the race because it's not in the last three laps.

As it is, Ferrari criticized the FIA for stochastic safety car deployment. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Wait until you need a safety car to give a drive-thru, so Alonso has to rejoin behind Yamaslomo...

Exactly the same type of incident when Webber passed Alonso at somewhere (Singapore?) last year. Webber had to give the place back. Had Alonso given an illegally gained place back instantly, he wouldn't have been in the same situation. Perhaps if the FIA had waited 20 laps so that Alonso could get a big gap to the next placed car then it wouldn't have been so bad. However, as Ferrari rightly pointed out last time, these penalties should be implemented as soon as possible. Kudos to the Scuderia for their altruism. :up:

Advertisement

#20 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

"Pushed" ?

:rolleyes:

#21 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

This penalty is exactly what Alonso and Ferrari deserve. All this clamour for drivers to be penalised for everything, can only follow one course of logic. All drivers getting penalised for any transgression. Alonso cut the chicane, he gained an advantage, and he suffers a penalty for it. You live by the sword and you'll die by it. :lol:

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 11 July 2010 - 12:56.

#22 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

What a ****ing joke!!!!!!!!!

FIA is a circus, no offence to any circus...

#23 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:56

Overall, this is a shockingly poor decision.

Precedent seems to be Spa 2008 - Lewis couldn't have given the place back even if he wanted to because Kimi was out of the race and was handed a post-race drive-through.

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Of course he deserves a penalty, that Kubica left him little space is irrelevant because whichever way you look at it, he passed Kubica illegally by cutting the corner. Two wrongs don't make a right.

That he can't serve the penalty because of the safety car, and will be demoted to last, is just fantastic timing. :rotfl: I can already imagine all the crying after the race.

#25 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Based on the incident alone - as it should be judged - in my opinion it wasn't a penalty.

#26 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:57

mmm, no

So it's OK to cut the track and overtake?

#27 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Overall, this is a shockingly poor decision.

Precedent seems to be Spa 2008 - Lewis couldn't have given the place back even if he wanted to because Kimi was out of the race and was handed a post-race drive-through.

Post-race is losing 20-25 seconds, count how many positions lost alonso!!!!

#28 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

If Hamilton deserved a penalty in Spa 2008, Alonso deserves a penalty today.

#29 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 665 posts

He was forced off the track, he didn't just cut it, there IS a difference.

#30 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

THE SAFETY CAR WAS ONLY SENT OUT BECAUSE HE SHOULD GO LAST, PURE TODT AND MCLAREN AND MERCEDES CONSPIRACY TIMING TO GET THE ITALIANS OUT OF THE SPORT. GENIUS.

BRING BACK MAX MOSLEY :lol:

#31 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Exactly evryone saw he passed of track. He shold of used his head.

#32 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:58

It wa Kubica's fault! The steward was a joke

#33 mcguin

mcguin

• 157 posts

No. It's a drive-thru or a 20 second penalty post-race. But they can do the penalty in the race because it's not in the last three laps.

As it is, Ferrari criticized the FIA for stochastic safety car deployment. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Wait until you need a safety car to give a drive-thru, so Alonso has to rejoin behind Yamaslomo...

Exactly the same type of incident when Webber passed Alonso at somewhere (Singapore?) last year. Webber had to give the place back. Had Alonso given an illegally gained place back instantly, he wouldn't have been in the same situation. Perhaps if the FIA had waited 20 laps so that Alonso could get a big gap to the next placed car then it wouldn't have been so bad. However, as Ferrari rightly pointed out last time, these penalties should be implemented as soon as possible. Kudos to the Scuderia for their altruism. :up:

Happy that you embrace this ever changing rules (or interpretation of rules)

#34 Willy_Wonka

Willy_Wonka

• 282 posts

Laugh, i nearly pished myself.
It was very very harsh, but you cant help but see the funny side to it, More so because of how vocal alonso was about lewis´s penalty not making a difference.

#35 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:59

"Pushed" ?

:rolleyes:

Mate, you need to go watch it again then, had Lewis stayed wher he was they both would have crashed Kimi gave him a huge shove off. And to add to that lewis was handed a drive through after the race after Kimi had crashed so paybacks a bitch Ferrari. Its okay when the shoes on someone else's foot isnt it! Justice at last.

#36 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:00

Mate, you need to go watch it again then, had Lewis stayed wher he was they both would have crashed Kimi gave him a huge shove off.

You need to. Stop imagining things.

http://www.autosport...o.php/id/113056

Kimi took the racing line from that point, it was Hamilton trying to barge into imaginary spaces (like Alonso) and got the deserving penalty after an illegal pass (again, like Alonso).

Edited by harrows, 11 July 2010 - 13:03.

#37 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:00

He was forced off the track, he didn't just cut it, there IS a difference.

He was forced off by virtue of choosing to put his car on the outside - what would you expect Kubica to do? The similarities between this and Hamilton/Kimi at Spa are quite striking.

#38 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:01

Im not imagining anything. Go youtube it.

#39 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

describing the incident as "Alonso cutting the chicane"? no.
kubica forcing Alonso off track? not either. lets see the video again.
however wheel to wheel action between 2 drivers,
often let be in recent times to others,
now gets investigated and penalized with the most possible strength.
adding this to the lack of blue flags at canada,
the joke of a SC incident at Valencia...
something is WRONG with race direction.
this is far far from being a fair application rules
i dont think manipulatin is too strong a word to describe it

Advertisement

#40 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

He was forced off by virtue of choosing to put his car on the outside - what would you expect Kubica to do? The similarities between this and Hamilton/Kimi at Spa are quite striking.

Other than Hamilton gave up his place to Kimi. Twice.

#41 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

"I don't want anymore radio for the rest of the race"

Brilliant - this is going to be well worth watching.

#42 Arska

Arska

• 944 posts

But Lewis could have stayed far enough behind, not take any advantage from his cutting and not overtake into La Source. Please, could you let this one go finally?

#43 Amrl

Amrl

• 785 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:02

Tough but fair. Not for cutting the corner, but for the comments Alonso made after last race. You simply don't criticize the FIA like that. Let's wait for his comments after this race and see if he learned his lesson.

#44 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:02

Post-race is losing 20-25 seconds, count how many positions lost alonso!!!!

I do not support this penalty, but the number of places lost is an unfortunate result of the safety car again. Blame Sauber for that.

#45 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:03

Alonso 2nd fastest on the track now - 1:33.8 that time around.

#46 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:04

You guys have this knack of "interpreting" stuff. Regulations are pretty clear, IF you gain an advantage by going outside the race track you have to cede the advantage. Makes not difference if you were pushed, stepped on a banana peel and slid, whatever.

Ferrari should have instructed Nando to give the spot back, end of drama. They didn't and got a penalty. And for the second race in succession the timing of the penalty, the SC etc shafted them pretty bad. Doesn't change the fact that as per the rules the penalty was deserved.

#47 tze

tze

• 137 posts

Alonso.... Karma

#48 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

After the years of controversial decisions advantageous to Ferrari I find it hilarious that Ferrari fans are up in arms over this. He passed a car by cutting the corner, in every rae ive ever seen with every driver, that is a penalty unless they give it back. Something Alonso wouldn't do, and Nigel Mansell gave his opinion and he loves Ferrari so it was blatently obvious.

#49 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

I do not support this penalty, but the number of places lost is an unfortunate result of the safety car again. Blame Sauber for that.

Besides... didn't Alonso have time to serve his penalty in the lap between the penalty he got and the SC being called?

#50 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,063 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:05

I give up on F1.

I hope Alonso stays at it and has loads of success but it's a waste of time to watch it any more.