Photo

Rheims Revival 2010

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 23:00

The 4th Revival event is being held at the Rheims- Gueux circuit on September 10, 11 and 12. Details here http://www.weea-organisation.com/

Can anyone recommend this event? I know that Stefan Schmidt and phinorman went last year, what was it like, guys? Worth a trip from England?

An indication of car types and eras represented would be appreciated. It looks from the brochure that a weekend wrist band is 25 Euros.

Thanks in advance.

Rob :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:41

RHeims - aaaargh!!!!!

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:31

RHeims - aaaargh!!!!!

That spelling was in common use in England for many years, including the whole period that racing took place. As obstinate as our refusal to call our capital city Londres, i suppose.

Edited by Roger Clark, 30 July 2010 - 07:32.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:22

I believe Rheims is still the correct English spelling, though Reims is becoming more common (damned internet, no doubt :) )

We still spell Köln, Roma, Warszawa, Moskva and Porto in different ways from the natives...

Edited by David McKinney, 30 July 2010 - 08:23.

#5 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:47

RHeims - aaaargh!!!!!

If Rheims is good enough for British Paté, then it's good enough for me Barry... http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=35898

I suppose you'd like me to spell Anglesey "Ynys Môn" would you?  ;)

I was always taught not to drop me haitches...

#6 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:14

Is the question asked going to be answered ?

Sure it was spelt as it was in UK when circuit was open.

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:47

http://www.weea-organisation.com/

If you click on "L'evenement" followed by "Les participants" you will find the "Pré-liste des participants" in photographic form. Clicking on each photo will reveal details of the car.

#8 monoposto

monoposto

• 133 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:26

http://www.weea-organisation.com/

If you click on "L'evenement" followed by "Les participants" you will find the "Pré-liste des participants" in photographic form. Clicking on each photo will reveal details of the car.

Or for English speakers, click on the Union Flag symbol

#9 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:08

Thanks chaps, I hadn't quite got that far when I decided to pose the question to TNFers late last night. :up:

Hmmm. Not quite what I was hoping for.

I wonder if I stuck a number on my Austin A40 that I'd be made welcome as an entrant. The pedigree of one car seems to be that it has visited the Le Mans Classic.

Notwithstanding the entry, the circuit it is one of my favourite places - not as spooky as it was during my early visits with trees growing out of the grandstands, crumbling pits and fading paint. The patina then was marvellous.

However we have to be grateful it hasn't gone the way of Rouen, or should that be Rhouen.

Any observations "from the floor" still welcome, Stefan.

#10 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:12

I had put in an entry with my Derby Bentley special. Few weeks ago got confirmation of entry. Few days afterwards got another mail, that Jury has now declined entry after a few more days of thinking about it - no "Replicas" are allowed and they have decided against my car.
Then had a look at confirmed entry on the webpage - and was a bit surprised, too, I have to say....
Not really the car lineup I expected - pre war grid especially disappointing.

Never mind - will be doing Ollon-Villars hillclimb in Switzerland a week later - have a look at their entry lineup instead !

Cheers,
Ralf

Edited by Ralf Pickel, 30 July 2010 - 12:18.

#11 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:32

I can recommend yu to go to Reims, it is so special, you cannot compare it to Goodwood, but it is very special and the best on the continent! :clap:

More here:

#12 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:35

That spelling was in common use in England for many years, including the whole period that racing took place. As obstinate as our refusal to call our capital city Londres, i suppose.

You can find both spellings, but rHeims is the old one and Reims is the new and now correct spelling (and I hope it is correct what I am writing otherwise.. :blush: )

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:40

You can find both spellings, but rHeims is the old one and Reims is the new and now correct spelling

Source please :)

#14 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:26

Source please :)

Just google "orthographe ancienne Reims"

#15 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:31

That explains the French-language change

We're talking about the English-language spelling :)

#16 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 18:16

I rather think Stefan was talking about the French spelling.

#17 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 18:59

I rather think Stefan was talking about the French spelling.

Yes :wave:

#18 DJO

DJO

• 45 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:39

I can recommend yu to go to Reims, it is so special, you cannot compare it to Goodwood, but it is very special and the best on the continent! :clap:

More here:

Great film on You Tube - well worth a look. Thanks Stefan

#19 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 14:57

Great film on You Tube - well worth a look. Thanks Stefan

Thank you :)

Advertisement

#20 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 13:47

Anyone care to attempt to spell out how to pronounce it as the French do?  ;)

#21 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 14:19

You can hear it here:

http://www.forvo.com/word/reims

#22 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 14:31

You can hear it here:

Not found... :blush:
http://www.forvo.com...h-fr/Depailler/

#23 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 14:35

You can hear it here:

I know what it sound like- I just wanted someone English to try to write it down! :rotfl:

Rhrenttzz, whilst sneezing at the same time is my version.

#24 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 15:47

I know what it sound like- I just wanted someone English to try to write it down! :rotfl:

Rhrenttzz, whilst sneezing at the same time is my version.

:lol:

#25 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:22

I was in Reims yesterday. The centre of the city is one big building site as there's so much work going on. A new Ikea opened yesterday between the circuit and the motorway, so it may add to the traffic.

I made a quick visit to the circuit and bumped into a chap who was working on a historic renovations in Reims. He'd been sent to look at the remains of the trackside buildings to do a feasability study to preserve or renovate what's left. He was pleased that they'd been painted as it protected the concrete stucture. I gave him the details of TNF as I know there are opinions on here regarding what should happen to the old place.

#26 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 14:29

I was in Reims yesterday. The centre of the city is one big building site as there's so much work going on. A new Ikea opened yesterday between the circuit and the motorway, so it may add to the traffic.

I made a quick visit to the circuit and bumped into a chap who was working on a historic renovations in Reims. He'd been sent to look at the remains of the trackside buildings to do a feasability study to preserve or renovate what's left. He was pleased that they'd been painted as it protected the concrete stucture. I gave him the details of TNF as I know there are opinions on here regarding what should happen to the old place.

Only 2 weeks to go :clap:

#27 RichardRemlap

RichardRemlap

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:43

Alain Raine wrote "I was in Reims yesterday. The centre of the city is one big building site as there's so much work going on. A new Ikea opened yesterday between the circuit and the motorway, so it may add to the traffic.

I made a quick visit to the circuit and bumped into a chap who was working on a historic renovations in Reims. He'd been sent to look at the remains of the trackside buildings to do a feasability study to preserve or renovate what's left. He was pleased that they'd been painted as it protected the concrete structure. I gave him the details of TNF as I know there are opinions on here regarding what should happen to the old place."

I am the chap in question. We are now working on a preliminary study of the trackside buildings with the aim of assessing the cost and feasibility of restoring them. The condition of the different structures varies according to their exposure and (as noted) whether or not the concrete has been painted.

The worst structures are clearly the old habitation block and the uncovered grandstand structures at the far west end of the site. The remaining buildings are in a relatively good condition. I'll post more info as the project progresses.

For the traditionalists out there I can only say that the project is being dealt with by a group that focusses on the restoration of listed structures in France. The objective is always to retain the historic nature of the structure, although it is sometimes beneficial or occasionally necessary to introduce new technology - renovation techniques, sanitation etc.

Good to meet you Alan. Thanks for pointing me to this forum.

Best regards,

Richard

#28 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:56

Looking forward to see some of you guys in Reims next weekend. I will wear a light blue elf Team Tyrrell T-Shirt, or a light blue Pullover... or in case of rain a red Nürburgring jacket plus TNF badge #180

#29 RichardRemlap

RichardRemlap

• 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:32

While researching the history of this circuit I came across the following French forum:-
http://www.autodiva....p...23&start=80
There is a large collection of historical documents, photos and other fascinating reports of the Reims-Gueux circuit. even a publicity shot of Kirk Douglas and Bella Darvi promoting the film "The Racers" set at the circuit.

And here is a superb piece of television http://www.ina.fr/sp...omobile.fr.html

Best regards, Richard.

Edited by RichardRemlap, 07 September 2010 - 09:48.

#30 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:26

Autodiva is great

#31 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 13:54

I am the chap in question. We are now working on a preliminary study of the trackside buildings with the aim of assessing the cost and feasibility of restoring them. The condition of the different structures varies according to their exposure and (as noted) whether or not the concrete has been painted.

The worst structures are clearly the old habitation block and the uncovered grandstand structures at the far west end of the site. The remaining buildings are in a relatively good condition. I'll post more info as the project progresses.

For the traditionalists out there I can only say that the project is being dealt with by a group that focusses on the restoration of listed structures in France. The objective is always to retain the historic nature of the structure, although it is sometimes beneficial or occasionally necessary to introduce new technology - renovation techniques, sanitation etc.

Good to meet you Alan. Thanks for pointing me to this forum.

Best regards,

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. It was very interesting meeting you and it would be great if you could keep us informed of developments.

A few photos about a week or so before the Revival. At least they still paint the advertising by hand.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by alansart, 08 September 2010 - 16:34.

#32 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,724 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 21:29

And here is a superb piece of television http://www.ina.fr/sp...omobile.fr.html

Best regards, Richard.

Excellent footage including, for me anyway, quite rare film of cars at the Hovette and Garenne sections of the pre 1952 track. Thanks Richard & welcome

#33 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:12