2011 Formula One Calendar leaked

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:21

Seems like the provisional version was leaked in Hungary, several websites are reporting an article along the lines of this: http://www.wheels24....leaked-20100802

Going on the details in that article, it seems like the provisional calendar is as follows:

13/03 - Bahrain
27/03 - Australia
03/04 - Malaysia
17/04 - China
24/04 - Korea
15/05 - Spain*
22/05 - Monaco*
05/06 - Turkey*
19/06 - Canada*
10/07 - Britain
24/07 - Germany
31/07 - Hungary
21/08 - Belgium
28/08 - Europe
11/09 - Italy
25/09 - Singapore
09/10 - India
23/10 - Japan
30/10 - Brazil
13/11 - Abu Dhabi

So Europe back to where it was, with Korea in April, bumping the April to June races back essentially 1 week.

* not sure if these dates are fully correct, articles don't make it clear.

Edited by D.M.N., 02 August 2010 - 14:23.

Advertisement

#2 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:23

Dieter Rencken had this on the Autosport website many days ago

#3 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:24

Dieter Rencken had this on the Autosport website many days ago

I'm not a subscriber, so I wouldn't have known, nor would have seen it.

#4 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:37

Bahrain and Abu Dhabi first and last again. :cry: :rolleyes:

2 Tracks, I wouldn't miss.

At least there is only a 3 week summer break instead of a month like this year. :mad:

If, of course this is correct.

#5 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:38

Looks like the Indian GP is outside of the monsoon season, so don't expect any wet races there. They've made China and Korea back to back, interesting.

Though I'll still take this leaked calendar with a grain of salt

#6 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:38

20 races :up: :up: :up:

keep going Bernie...

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:42

Looks okay, could be better. Should have more races in Europe and less out.
The season will start and end in the desert again. How thrilling.

#8 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:42

keep going Bernie...

20 races :up:

Countries that don't care about F1 :down:

#9 Monstrobolaxa

Monstrobolaxa

• 192 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:45

what about the 13th team?

#10 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,208 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:47

keep going Bernie...

Quality, not quantity. I would rather have a smaller calendar of quality circuits, like the inaugural F1 season in 1950, than a large calendar with loads of rubbish circuits like Bahrain, China and Abu Dhabi.

#11 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:49

I pray Bahrain reverts to the original layout. Another year with no French grand prix, what a joke. Korea looks like it will be pretty uninspiring. Indian track looks good though so i'll look forward to that.

#12 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:52

I pray Bahrain reverts to the original layout. Another year with no French grand prix, what a joke. Korea looks like it will be pretty uninspiring. Indian track looks good though so i'll look forward to that.

Wasn't a massive fan of Magny Cours, but when places like Abu Dhabi and Korea get a race when France doesn't is beyond the joke. But, racing in front of empty stands is much better.

#13 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:53

Wasn't a massive fan of Magny Cours, but when places like Abu Dhabi and Korea get a race when France doesn't is beyond the joke. But, racing in front of empty stands is much better.

I'd love a race at Le mans. I know the bugatti circuit is very micky mouse but it's a great region of france and would defiantly be a great race to travel too.

#14 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 14:57

Quality, not quantity. I would rather have a smaller calendar of quality circuits, like the inaugural F1 season in 1950, than a large calendar with loads of rubbish circuits like Bahrain, China and Abu Dhabi.

What's the choice we have though? Having had the classic circuits do we want the new ones as well, or not? Personally I still watch Abu Dhabi & co even if they're not as good.

So Bernie's adding India, we can watch, or not. I plan to :cool: .

For 2012 Bernie will offer France as the 21st, perhaps, or the 22nd...

#15 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:01

For 2012 he has to find room for Austin.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:03

13/03 - Bahrain
27/03 - Australia
03/04 - Malaysia
17/04 - China
24/04 - Korea

Ouch. If you start the season with a rubbish car, you lose a quarter of the season.

#17 RC127

RC127

• 1,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:07

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/85619

According to this story, Monaco is 29 May 2011, so that is one of the "asterix dates" cleared up...

#18 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:08

For 2012 he has to find room for Austin.

Yep. He'll get the new/unpopular/cash cow ones in first, than ask the teams if they'd like the US and France :lol: .

Valencia may be dropped though, how long is its deal?

#19 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:12

They need to squeeze Mondello Park in there too

Advertisement

#20 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:13

Yea I miss that French GP! Though I enjoy it in F1CE still. Ah so silly how Australia isn't the first race again, senility rules F1!

#21 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 854 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:19

NO :mad: Australia first and Brazil last please :)

#22 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:24

Yea I miss that French GP! Though I enjoy it in F1CE still. Ah so silly how Australia isn't the first race again, senility rules F1!

Yeah, think we have a wood for trees thing going on here.

No doubt Bahrain has paid top dollar to be first. But hosting a race on the moon that is dull as hell to watch on TV must send people away at the very begining of the season. I wonder how many noobs tuned in this year to Bahrain, slept through it and said "Never again".

Where as Aus is usually a good race, colourful and vibrant. A great advert for F1 and something to grab new fans.

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:24

Or you could say Oz is always good anyway, whereas Bahrain's one and only hope of a redeeming feature is to be the first race after the winter deprivation...

#24 Palmero

Palmero

• 296 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:27

If there needs to be more bad tracks to keep the good ones on the calendar, so be it. If you don't enjoy the racing just watch qualifying or something. The season start/end venues are disappointing but hardly a surprise, Abu Dhabi isn't absolutely terrible at least, give it time to grow.

More tracks is always better in my opinion, I'd watch an oval race even so long as it was in addition to the tracks we all love.

Edited by Palmero, 02 August 2010 - 15:28.

#25 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:28

Yea but you guys have to admit that only a Ferrari one two made Bahrain special this year, I bet if a McLaren had won, many would of loved it lol

#26 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:29

Europe G.P on august?, Valencia is really hot in august, isn't it?, that's why they moved the date this year I believe.

#27 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:32

Europe G.P on august?, Valencia is really hot in august, isn't it?, that's why they moved the date this year I believe.

I think they moved it because the attendance was down in 2009 which they blamed on everyone in Valencia being away on holidays. Seemingly they judged ticket prices and quality of racing to be just fine.

#28 rossifumi46

rossifumi46

• 37 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:43

July 10th has been on Silverstone web site for a while so i guess thats a goer

#29 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:17

Well I would of had Korea back to back with Japan, as to not have the first quarter rushing about the other side of the planet from the teams.

Not much else to say really, it tends to be jigglesd round quite a bit.

#30 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:30

NO :mad: Australia first and Brazil last please :)

Actually Brazil 1st and Australia last. :cool:

Depsite only watching F1 since mid 94, and only having one full season of that, I feel like that should be the way to start and finish a season!

#31 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:42

Word. Too many races makes the calendar look like a NASCAR season...

Also, the more races you have, the less a single race means... A loss in the NFL 16-game season can really mean something, but a loss in a MLB 162-game season and no one is concerned... In the NFL you only miss a game if a limb is half-detached, but you can miss games in Baseball if you have a blister or trip over your own two feet at home and get a contusion on your knee...

#32 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:55

25/09 - Singapore
09/10 - India
23/10 - Japan
30/10 - Brazil
13/11 - Abu Dhabi

So Europe back to where it was, with Korea in April, bumping the April to June races back essentially 1 week.

* not sure if these dates are fully correct, articles don't make it clear.

If it stays like that then the dates of the final few races are just stupid, 3 Asian races then one week to get all the way to Brazil before having only a fortnight to get over to Abu Dhabi. All these places are on different 'sides' of the world! At least it would sense from a logistical perspective to have Singapore to Abu Dhabi and make Brazil the last race two or three weeks later.

#33 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:31

Abu Dhabi AFAIK has in contract a guarantee to be first or last race, so here's your answer.

What? You meant rubbish layout or rubbish races? If the latter, then it's rubbish (:stoned:). 4 times out of 7 we had wet races and they were fantastic, so I don't care about layout (it's really a Sepang with added very long straight), when racing in wet is incredible and even while dry it's not snoozefest.

Bahrain first? Same, I don't care, because that means we have two weeks of waiting less. I only hope we'll see old layout back, because new one is just horrible and takes away 8 laps of chances to pass someone, as at new section it's impossible.

Japan and Brazil back to back? Surely it has to be changed, otherwise it will create 21st race, with time :lol:.

#34 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:48

Japan and Brazil back to back? Surely it has to be changed, otherwise it will create 21st race, with time :lol:.

I think (I wish I am wrong though) that Bernie is setting up the stage to ditch the Brazilian GP.

Recently he was very critical of the circuit (its infrastructure, not the track itself) and said that its the poorest track and the teams always complain about it. Also he said that, taking a seat in the bandwagon of the next World Cup and Olympics, São Paulo must take the opp to upgrade the track's facilities.

Of cours, one cannot deny that Interlagos is showing its age and deserves a big lift. I just hope they dont mess with the track layout (dont change what isnt broken!).

Also, I think its pretty obvious that F1 is first and foremost a TV show. Of course, being there in person is great, but 99,99% of the fans will never have that opportunity, so its clear who FOM's show has to please. And, as a TV show, Interlagos is as good as it gets.

As for the 2011 calendar, I'd love to see Interlagos finish the season (to open is not ideal, because March is the heavy rain season) but its obvious that big money has the last say in everything in this business. :well:

#35 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:54

I think (I wish I am wrong though) that Bernie is setting up the stage to ditch the Brazilian GP.

Recently he was very critical of the circuit (its infrastructure, not the track itself) and said that its the poorest track and the teams always complain about it. Also he said that, taking a seat in the bandwagon of the next World Cup and Olympics, São Paulo must take the opp to upgrade the track's facilities.

Of cours, one cannot deny that Interlagos is showing its age and deserves a big lift. I just hope they dont mess with the track layout (dont change what isnt broken!).

Also, I think its pretty obvious that F1 is first and foremost a TV show. Of course, being there in person is great, but 99,99% of the fans will never have that opportunity, so its clear who FOM's show has to please. And, as a TV show, Interlagos is as good as it gets.

As for the 2011 calendar, I'd love to see Interlagos finish the season (to open is not ideal, because March is the heavy rain season) but its obvious that big money has the last say in everything in this business. :well:

Interlagos is the best track on the calendar. Yes, Spa and Suzuka and Monza are also amazing, but Interlagos provides consistently good racing, and PASSING on an amazing race track. The most entertaining, best race on the calendar by FAR. It would be a farce to get rid of this race. I would rather watch 20 weekends of Interlagos than have 25 weekends of all the other tracks. It is simply tops.

#36 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:56

If interlagos pays bernie what was agreed in the contract it will remain on the calender. I mean time Bernie will be happy to apply a little pressure on the track owners to improve the facilities.

#37 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:57

I see that as another demonstration of Bernie tactics to take more money out of a venue.
But the complaints are constant, year after year.

#38 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:00

If interlagos pays bernie what was agreed in the contract it will remain on the calender. I mean time Bernie will be happy to apply a little pressure on the track owners to improve the facilities.

Sure, I think we understand that. But it would be a farce to get rid of it either way. It is simply the best track for F1.

#39 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:02

Bahrain is a horrible start to the season and AbuDhabi a horrible end.

Oz for the start and Samba for the end.

Every single marketing person with a 1/8 of a functioning brain can figure that one out, unfortunately Bernie can do whatever he wants so ...

Advertisement

#40 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:08

Sure, I think we understand that. But it would be a farce to get rid of it either way. It is simply the best track for F1.

Yeah I love Interlagos, one of the best tracks. From what I've been reading, it appears when it's contract runs out (after next year's race I believe) Bernie will demand updated infrastructure before signing the new contract off. There is no way he'll bin it, it's the only race in South America.

#41 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:19

Im all for bringing F1 to places it hasnt been before but only 9 out of 20 races in Europe? Thats bollocks. It's nothing to do with me missing my lunchtime start either cos i love getting up early for a Grand Prix or watching it late Sunday evening, but races like Bahrain and China shouldnt be taking the place of the French Grand Prix or Imola or maybe even a return to Portugal for example.

Edited by Crazy Ninja, 02 August 2010 - 18:20.

#42 RC127

RC127

• 1,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:20

Yeah I love Interlagos, one of the best tracks. From what I've been reading, it appears when it's contract runs out (after next year's race I believe) Bernie will demand updated infrastructure before signing the new contract off. There is no way he'll bin it, it's the only race in South America.

Hear hear.

My top 5 F1 tracks

1) Interlagos
2) Montreal
3) Melbourne
4) Spa
5) Monza

#43 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:26

Made my views on the opening/closing races of the season clear numerous times, and that still stands. Not too sure about a 3 week gap between Canada and Silverstone though, although that would explain just a 3 week gap in August. However I think there'll be the usual 2 week gap between Canada and Silverstone, therefore every race after that (until Hungary) being a week earlier than posted, and leaving. the 4 week break as it is in August.

#44 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 18:33

Places like korea...

Korea is one of the largest growing economies in this world. I think it is about time that Asian countries started to be seen as part of this world anyway. I mean, China itself is only the longest continuous civilization in the world...

edit: Plus Korea looks like it will give suzuka-esque high speed corners which I hope the RB's will excel at. :p

Edited by Bunchies, 02 August 2010 - 18:36.

#45 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:02

With the addition of all these races, we'll soon be getting like NASCAR, I just hope they don't bring in The Chase.

#46 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:03

Interlagos has a deal until 2015, doesn't it?

#47 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:07

"one of the largest growing economies in this world"

Hmmm....

01 United States
02 Japan
03 China
04 Germany
05 France
06 United Kingdom
07 Italy
08 Brazil
09 Spain
10 Canada
11 India
12 Russia
13 Australia
14 Mexico
15 South Korea
16 Netherlands
17 Turkey
18 Indonesia
19 Switzerland
20 Belgium

by GDP.
In bold, countries without a GP for this year.

Edited by highdownforce, 02 August 2010 - 19:08.

#48 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:27

Places like korea...

Korea is one of the largest growing economies in this world. I think it is about time that Asian countries started to be seen as part of this world anyway. I mean, China itself is only the longest continuous civilization in the world...

edit: Plus Korea looks like it will give suzuka-esque high speed corners which I hope the RB's will excel at. :p

I never said Asian countries aren't part of this world.

I said I would rather have G.P's held in countries with a motor racing heritage. Such as France.

And the tracks designed by Hermann Tilke. I bet it's no where near good as suzuka!

#49 Rabbit123

Rabbit123

• 255 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:35

I thought they might have learnt their lesson about having Bahrain as the first race after this year. They can only blame themselves if everyone starts saying F1 is boring and the racing needs to be improved at the start of the season again.

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:43

He binned the US, he could bin anything.