* * * * * 1 votes

Australian 6 Manufacturing plant

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#601 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:50

Lots of good data 1933 through to 1940 on the disturbingly named site willysdownunder.webatu.com .

Classic! :clap:

Advertisement

#602 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 19:19

More yank tank stuff: The cars of Cuba. Really fascinating vehicles, kept on the road for over half a century now by hook or by crook. Some look a bit worse for the effort but hey, they're still running and driving.

Assuming that they don't all get blown up by dodgy propane conversions!!

#603 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:19

Assuming that they don't all get blown up by dodgy propane conversions!!

Yes, one of many amazing aspects of the Cuban road transportation system.

#604 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:55

Every once in a while I have to visit a client in Bedford, which means driving past the airship sheds at Cardington. One has been looked after and is in use, but the second has looked terrible for some years. Now, fortunately, it is being refurbished, and on my way back I stopped to take a shot with my phone of the new roof about half done. The second shot gives an idea of the relationship of the two. Like all very large object they take much longer to get close to than you anticipate, and can be seen for miles. These were taken from the road side, I couldn't estimate the distance without fear of being very wrong. Ah ha! Google Earth is my friend...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tony Matthews, 25 April 2013 - 11:59.

#605 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 13:20

Well, that was a bit disappointing, after Google Earth finally agreed to appear on my monitor - 336.37 yards in the second shot, to the nearest corner of the nearest shed. I thought it was going to be about half a mile. I reckon the pyramids are only a few feet high and just over that sand dune.

#606 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 14:14

Very cool, Tony. Got me curious and now I'll probably blow half a day reading up on the history.

#607 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:16

52°06'32.46"N 0°25'21.76"W should find them. They were built for the R100/101 I think, but I have only ever known them as massive sheds. Irvin Airchutes used to use some of the land for testing parachutes, these were deployed from Barrage baloons which, when they weren't outside, were kept in the RH shed, looking tiny inside when the doors were ajar. Since then one or two New Age airship companies have used it to build and house their high tech babies, but nothing ever seems to come of these ventures.

The less leaky of the two hosted several Microfilm model meets years ago, but this hobby has probably also died. I never have a camera with me when I visit this client, and as I go at odd intervals year round I see the sheds in all lights and all weathers. One shot I really regret not getting was in the late Autumn - I normally pass this point at 07:20 every trip - just as it was getting light, the doors of the RH shed were open and a ghostly green light was dimly illuminating a couple of Barrage baloons inside. That, plus a hint of mist, looked great.

Edited to change E to W. I must get these painted on the toes of my work boots.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 25 April 2013 - 15:20.

#608 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:41

Now that spring is almost here I must get out the zeppelin and toddle over.

#609 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:31

Watch out for a Sopwith Pup, its Lewis gun loaded with tracer...

#610 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 19:15

Watch out for a Sopwith Pup, its Lewis gun loaded with tracer...

Jeeze......those sheds are in a tough neighborhood! :)

#611 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:19

Big sheds alright! There is a hint of some cars in the foreground of the second pic.

#612 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:28

Jeeze......those sheds are in a tough neighborhood! :)

Yes, so watch it!

#613 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:31

Big sheds alright! There is a hint of some cars in the foreground of the second pic.

The sheds deserve better photography. I'm sure others have taken them, it's the sort of project that I used to really get stuck into before my love of photography waned. It is vehicles parked infront that give the sheds scale, they really are pretty huge!

#614 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:05

Posted Image

This rather unusual structure on the west side in Detroit, which looks more like an American university building than an auto plant, is known as PROC -- Plymouth Road Office Complex, or in some parts as TJE, the Truck and Jeep Engineering facility. It was originally built in around 1926 (I think) as the home office and manufacturing facility for Kelvinator -- attached to the rear of this building is a large plant that extends north a half-dozen city blocks. With the Nash-Kelvinator merger came about, this facility became its headquarters. In WWII helicopters were built here, and a staging area and helicopter pad (now gone) were added to the north end of the plant, billed as "the world's smallest airport." When American Motors built a contemporary steel and glass administration building in Southfield, this building became the engineering HQ for the company, and when AMC took over Kaiser Jeep in Toledo (covered further up the thread) its technical and design staff was also moved here. When Chrysler absorbed AMC in 1987, engineering for both Jeeps and Dodge trucks was located here, where it remained until just last year and the industry crash, when the operation was finally moved to the Chrysler Technical Center in Auburn Hills. This building was part of the property inventory of the old-bad Chrysler Corporation created in the bankruptcy and was recently sold off, though it was still vacant when I drove past last week and snapped a photo. The building is sort of a local landmark for its unusual, dignified architecture and for the tall false bell tower that dominates the neighborhood's skyline.

Remember this story from 2010? Folks here expressed their wishes that his facility could be saved...while I opined that in the long run, it was doomed.

Well, it seems things progressed even faster than I anticipated. The plant is now reportedly owned by some jerk who is simultaneously stripping it for recyclables and architectural elements while using the lot as an illegal dump. Isn't that swell.

Here's a story in The Detroit News today in which I was interviewed about the plant's history and so on...

http://www.detroitne...tors_picks=true

#615 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,551 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:02

The invisible hand works its sparkly magic yet again.

#616 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:48

52°06'32.46"N 0°25'21.76"W should find them. They were built for the R100/101 I think, but I have only ever known them as massive sheds. Irvin Airchutes used to use some of the land for testing parachutes, these were deployed from Barrage baloons which, when they weren't outside, were kept in the RH shed, looking tiny inside when the doors were ajar. Since then one or two New Age airship companies have used it to build and house their high tech babies, but nothing ever seems to come of these ventures.

The less leaky of the two hosted several Microfilm model meets years ago, but this hobby has probably also died. I never have a camera with me when I visit this client, and as I go at odd intervals year round I see the sheds in all lights and all weathers. One shot I really regret not getting was in the late Autumn - I normally pass this point at 07:20 every trip - just as it was getting light, the doors of the RH shed were open and a ghostly green light was dimly illuminating a couple of Barrage baloons inside. That, plus a hint of mist, looked great.

Edited to change E to W. I must get these painted on the toes of my work boots.

I read something ? Docco? about the airships. And that was the sheds built to build them. I guess they are doing very well as they were built on the cheap 70 years ago.
Edit it was a book by author Neville Shute who worked there on the airships!

#617 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:31

The invisible hand works its sparkly magic yet again.

Exactly. You have to marvel at the presumption that the most beneficial outcome for society is achieved when someone, somewhere makes a buck.

When this guy is done stripping the building of anything of value and the courts can finally get the dumping stopped, he will simply walk away, sticking the city with the back taxes and a worthless property requiring demolition and an expensive cleanup.

#618 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:13

Euro-American hybrids are a perennial favorite in this forum, it seems. This one is the Hudson Italia. With its beautiful bodywork by Touring of Milan, it's hard to believe there's a boxy Jet sedan underneath. History and photos:

Another Look at the Hudson Italia | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#619 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 14:56

Whatever happened to red dashboards?

Advertisement

#620 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 15:35

Whatever happened to red dashboards?

red wrinkle paint dashboards no less.

#621 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 00:57

red wrinkle paint dashboards no less.

Nooooooooo! they didn't !?? Did they?? :eek: :rolleyes:

(I have sprayed crackle black on a rally car dash...but RED! wtf)

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 04 May 2013 - 00:59.

#622 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:14

Nooooooooo! they didn't !?? Did they?? :eek: :rolleyes:

(I have sprayed crackle black on a rally car dash...but RED! wtf)

Crackle black on a rally car? Great to hold the inevitable dust.

#623 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:48

Crackle black on a rally car? Great to hold the inevitable dust.

Nobody cared Lee...it was state of the art :smoking:

#624 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:35

Nobody cared Lee...it was state of the art :smoking:

Someone has to put style before practicality or the human race will never progress.

#625 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:44

Euro-American hybrids are a perennial favorite in this forum, it seems. This one is the Hudson Italia. With its beautiful bodywork by Touring of Milan, it's hard to believe there's a boxy Jet sedan underneath. History and photos:

Another Look at the Hudson Italia | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

I think the red wrinkle paint looks great on the dash. Seriously, is this not fabulous?

#626 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45

I think the red wrinkle paint looks great on the dash. Seriously, is this not fabulous?

I agree, but that is NOT a rally car!

#627 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:49

It is indeed, hence my comments. Now, unless you buy a car like a Veyron or Koiniseggegeg when you can specify the interior, everything seems grey, light grey, mid grey, dark grey or black.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 04 May 2013 - 11:50.

#628 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:07

When I was a tot my father worked with radios and electrical test equipment of all sorts. Hence my permanent affection for crackle, hammertone, zolotone, and other specialized paint finishes. Love them all.

#629 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 23:38

When I was a tot my father worked with radios and electrical test equipment of all sorts. Hence my permanent affection for crackle, hammertone, zolotone, and other specialized paint finishes. Love them all.

Hammertone! now ya talkin, tough stuff :up:

(Hmmmmm, I too worked with radios and electrical test equipment...small world, ain't it :rotfl: )

#630 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:38

(Hmmmmm, I too worked with radios and electrical test equipment...small world, ain't it :rotfl: )

You were probably on the same wavelength...

#631 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:57

You were probably on the same wavelength...

Quite possibly...our Navy used a lot of American equipment :) ....still have a face tick after working on these...

http://www.virhistor...xmtrs/src20.htm

Then of course, there was some Brit stuff...and this nightmare!!

http://www.portablet...ats/murphy3.htm

#632 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:36

Then of course, there was some Brit stuff...and this nightmare!!

http://www.portablet...ats/murphy3.htm

I thought that was designed to be dropped on enemy submarines from Havocs or whatever the RAAF used to communicate your displeasure at them encroaching on Oz waters.

#633 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:27

My friend Kit sent me a link to a terrific photo collection of WWII British aircraft, pilots, crews, support etc.....I especially loved the nose art of a Lancaster depicting numerous bombing missions with the lettering:

"NO ENEMY PLANE WILL FLY OVER THE REICH TERRITORY"

HERMAN GOERING

:)

WWII British Aircraft

Juanito

#634 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36

I thought that was designed to be dropped on enemy submarines from Havocs or whatever the RAAF used to communicate your displeasure at them encroaching on Oz waters.

Unlikely...the huge splash on entry would have warned the guzunders of impending doom so they could easily evade the attack :wave:

#635 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:43

My friend Kit sent me a link to a terrific photo collection of WWII British aircraft, pilots, crews, support etc.....I especially loved the nose art of a Lancaster depicting numerous bombing missions with the lettering:

HERMAN GOERING

WWII British Aircraft

Juanito

Very nice photos - the amazing thing is that I had only seen one before - the Mk. 1 Spitfire with the two-bladed prop (you see this picture everywhere). Most British 'plane pictures of WW2 have been published many times - the same situation with BoB video footage.

#636 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:19

Most British 'plane pictures of WW2 have been published many times - the same situation with BoB video footage.

WWII video footage being relatively rare due to the limitations of the iPhones of the era.

Posted Image

#637 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:46

WWII video footage being relatively rare due to the limitations of the iPhones of the era.

Posted Image

Hi, I'm in the jungle!

#638 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:40

With decent WWII video in such short supply for documentary use, the usual substitute is a very slow pan over the still photos to the accompaniment of the Glen Miller Orchestra. Moonlight Serenade, or, in a pinch, String of Pearls.

#639 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 13:38

With decent WWII video in such short supply for documentary use, the usual substitute is a very slow pan over the still photos to the accompaniment of the Glen Miller Orchestra. Moonlight Serenade, or, in a pinch, String of Pearls.

Another more common substitute is ridiculous-looking computer animation crap.

Advertisement

#640 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 14:46

One of my many bug-bears with modern TV is the 're-construction'. Everything from Neaderthals to Cromwellion footsoldiers and and 19th century boffins, we are adjudged too lacking in imagination to cope with a documentary without second-rate actors, false beards and smoke machines. I switch of, me and the TV.

#641 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:22

One of my many bug-bears with modern TV is the 're-construction'. Everything from Neaderthals to Cromwellion footsoldiers and and 19th century boffins, we are adjudged too lacking in imagination to cope with a documentary without second-rate actors, false beards and smoke machines. I switch of, me and the TV.

Below. Surely the worst recently in the USA, full of howling anachronisms. I almost killed my television at one point it was so bad, but then it descended into complete inanity and I broke out laughing instead.

http://www.history.c...o-built-america

#642 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:22

I see what you mean. :rolleyes: First time I have ever used the rolleyes emoticon, which is significant in itself.

#643 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 23:41

HERMAN GOERING

WWII British Aircraft

Juanito

Looking through those pics is very interesting.
The British bombs was probably at 617 as I believe they had the only Lancs modified enough to carry the big 8000lb and up bombs.
The painting D Day stripes is hilarious, very amateur with a big brush! On a plane with half the paint missing anyway. I guess finish was not a priority!
Many of those fighter pilots must have been half gassed on carbon monoxide as the exhaust stain down the fuselage carrys near the cockpit.
And the Beaufort near the bottom is using a very chewed up prop, there is a bit missing on the leading edge.

#644 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 00:45

I see what you mean. :rolleyes: First time I have ever used the rolleyes emoticon, which is significant in itself.

Imagine my surprise to learn that Andrew Carnegie was a vampire slayer, etc.

#645 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:04

The British bombs was probably at 617 as I believe they had the only Lancs modified enough to carry the big 8000lb and up bombs.
The painting D Day stripes is hilarious, very amateur with a big brush! On a plane with half the paint missing anyway. I guess finish was not a priority!
Many of those fighter pilots must have been half gassed on carbon monoxide as the exhaust stain down the fuselage carrys near the cockpit.
And the Beaufort near the bottom is using a very chewed up prop, there is a bit missing on the leading edge.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos Lee, you picked up on a lot of interesting details.

As I looked through the pictures, I noticed that the photo of Eric Lock had a caption that stated he was the RAF's most successful British-born pilot during the BOB, with 16 kills......yet in another photo, Hurricane pilot Ginger Lacey, was credited with 18 kills during the BOB. Confusion.....so I checked it out and found that Eric Lock actually had 21 kills and shared in the destruction of one during the BOB......I guess he keeps his title!

I also was impressed with the array of RAF bombs, especially the 22,000 lb. Grand Slam......and I though that the 15,000 lb. "Daisy Cutter" used in Vietnam to flatten and clear LZ's was big.

John

#646 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:20

Remembering Dean Jeffries, 1933-2013, creator of the Mantaray, the Monkeemobile, and many others, pinstripe pioneer, first painter to shoot metalflake, builder and innovator.

Dean Jeffries 1933–2013 | Mac's Motor City Garage

Posted Image

#647 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,647 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:30

There were at least two squadrons that could carry the 'Grand Slam' 10t bombs. Apart from the fact that the Lancs needed some serious lightening to carry them (no front or upper turrets, probably other stuff as well), the supply of these bombs was always very limited so there was never enough to justify modding large numbers of aircraft to carry them. The other consideration was they needed to be dropped very accurately, so highly trained crews were required.

I think that the 8000lb HC bombs were able to be carried by most Lancasters, perhaps requiring some minor modifications. One of the features of the Lancaster was its very long single bomb bay.

#648 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:26

Here's a fun Motor City event, the annual Detroit Dragway Reunion. The Dirty D, aka the Ditch, was once one of the most important drag strips in America, and hosted the U.S. Nationals in 1959 and 1960. Each year at nearby Milan Dragway, racers gather to remember. Here's this year's event, held yesterday. Story and photos:

2013 Detroit Dragway Reunion | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#649 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:25

Here's the other half of this weekend's event at Milan -- Billetproof Michigan, the car show for traditional American hot rods and customs . Story and big photo gallery here!

Billetproof Michigan 2013 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#650 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,724 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:35

In Detroit, when the nice weather arrives the car party season begins. So what’s a car party? Folks may well ask. Well, It’s a Motor City thing—like a lawn party or a cookout, but because this is the car biz, everyone brings their projects and the get-together becomes an informal car show. Great time and a great way to keep up with what's up around town.

Mark Stielow's Annual Spring Car Party | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image