Photo

Suzuka Preview

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:31

Who will be the driver and team to beat in Suzuka? Maybe between Red Bulls AND Mc Laren?

Advertisement

#2 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:46

Suzuka is RedBull's heaven with almost all corners being high-speed. Also favours McLaren's long wheelbase and they will have the update that couldn't put on singapore.

I hope not, but I fear Ferrari will be the 3rd team there a little bit behind McLaren and far behind Redbull.

If Alonso manages to beat the McLarens and Webber finishes 2nd I'll be happy enough.

#3 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:50

And for some unknown reasons, Ferrari seems to struggle on these flowing circuits ie Istanbul, Spa and Silverstone...

#4 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:52

Who will be the driver and team to beat in Suzuka? Maybe between Red Bulls AND Mc Laren?

Red Bull will be untouchable. Too many high speed corners for even Ferrari to challenge the Red Bulls.

I'm not sure why some think Mclaren will beat Ferrari this weekend, but we'll see.

Vettel is desperate to score big points over Webber. All Webber needs to do is not to loose his 2nd place.

I think Vettel will win because he needs it and is going to do anything to win over Webber, and Webber should simply chill out and take a safe 2nd place.

Webber has the advantage that Lewis and Alonso can beat Vettel on the other tracks to protect his WDC lead over Vettel, so I hope Webber is smart and won't take any risks :p

#5 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:54

The f10 is good everywhere. I think alonso can fight for victory, i said the same before monza and singapore.

#6 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:55

U meant next week ie In 10 days?

#7 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:56

RBR is strong here, Vettel is strong(er than Mark) here, I hope he wins.
Also I'd fancy the mclaren drivers, or some mid-car geniuses (Kubica and Rosberg) stealing points from Webber and Alonso :rolleyes:

#8 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:58

And for some unknown reasons, Ferrari seems to struggle on these flowing circuits ie Istanbul, Spa and Silverstone...

Spa didn't reflect the performance of the new package imo. Ferrari should be competitive, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're once again third pace wise.

#9 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:03

What is the weather like at this time of year in Japan? In Singapore it has been quite rainy, is Japan the same or expected to be similar?

#10 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:06

I just checked the sectors time for Qualifying in Japan 09....Red bulls should be flying in the first sector and might get pegged back in the last two sectors.....P/s How on earth did Button lost almost 0.8 sec in the first sector and was the fastest in the last two sectors during last year qualifying?

Edited by Button fanatic, 27 September 2010 - 09:08.

#11 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:44

The f10 is good everywhere. I think alonso can fight for victory, i said the same before monza and singapore.

Since when? Yesterday?!

It's all changing so fast it's hard to keep up! HP will count for more in Suzuka so that should help both Ferrari and McLaren. However if RedBull still have a sizeable aero advantage they will easily be able to overcome this and make hay in the ~10-11 corners that has suited their package all season. If it's tight then Red Bull will really be struggling to hold on in the last few races as all off them require a strong engine as well as good aero.

#12 Panktej

Panktej

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:45

What is the weather like at this time of year in Japan? In Singapore it has been quite rainy, is Japan the same or expected to be similar?

Race day will be dry..

#13 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:57

I just checked the sectors time for Qualifying in Japan 09....Red bulls should be flying in the first sector and might get pegged back in the last two sectors.....P/s How on earth did Button lost almost 0.8 sec in the first sector and was the fastest in the last two sectors during last year qualifying?

the brawns struggled with the direction change of the eses at the end of the 2009 the brawns was one of the worst for downforce

#14 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:59

the brawns struggled with the direction change of the eses at the end of the 2009 the brawns was one of the worst for downforce

TQ.......

#15 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:00

Low downforce? :p

#16 Button fanatic

Button fanatic

• 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:02

That makes me think what approach would Mc Laren try at Suzuka?

#17 depailler on tyrrell p34

depailler on tyrrell p34

• 314 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:07

finally the f1 going in a real great circuit!!!!!!!!

#18 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:07

Low downforce? :p

well i just looked and jenson was 308.7 and sv 307.1 not a big difference

#19 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:12

Set up compromises/preferences? Mistake?

Advertisement

#20 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:45

RBR will probably be fastest, but we saw this weekend that even if your car if fastest, if you can't get the speed out of it, get the laptime out of it, then it's irrelevant. Plus there's always the risk of rain at Suzuka.

#21 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:50

Since when? Yesterday?!

It's all changing so fast it's hard to keep up! HP will count for more in Suzuka so that should help both Ferrari and McLaren. However if RedBull still have a sizeable aero advantage they will easily be able to overcome this and make hay in the ~10-11 corners that has suited their package all season. If it's tight then Red Bull will really be struggling to hold on in the last few races as all off them require a strong engine as well as good aero.

Since the update seen at valencia.

#22 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 14:00

Vettel for win.

About McLaren and Ferrari, I don't know who will be the best of them, but I'm quite sure both will be behind the Bulls.

#23 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:05

f1fanatic_co_uk Keith Collantine
RT @lookingspiffy: Globo reports that Bruno Senna will drive his uncle's Lotus 97T at Suzuka: http://bit.ly/aKOvSt

#24 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:29

I'm tipping a Red Bull one-two. And now that Alonso has a real sniff he'll be wringing the neck of his F10 so tipping he's the smokie.

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:35

f1fanatic_co_uk Keith Collantine
RT @lookingspiffy: Globo reports that Bruno Senna will drive his uncle's Lotus 97T at Suzuka: http://bit.ly/aKOvSt

I suppose his current car is so bad he might as well try something else. ;)

#26 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:52

Medium and high speed aero is the dominant characteristic at Suzuka, power/top speed are also significant whilst there are only two low speed traction zones.

Expect Red Bull to have a decent advantage in terms of pace.
McLaren will be next with Ferrari some way off the pace.

#27 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:56

I don't think Red Bull will walk it, even if Vettel had the perfect lap he wouldn't have been much faster than Alonso (although he would have been faster). The gap wouldn't have been as much as it has been at other races.

The Ferrari and McLaren have definitely had some upgrades, and/or I think the new flex tests have hurt Red Bull and it might show up even more here at Suzuka.

Of course, the odds are still on for Red Bull to get the pole and the win, just that it won't be as easy as it has been (or could have been) for them

#28 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:01

Vettel will win the race and Ferrari will beat Mclaren again.

#29 equinoxuk

equinoxuk

• 278 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:09

Vettel will win the race and McLaren will beat Ferrari again.

#30 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:09

Vettel will win the race and Ferrari will beat Mclaren again.

On present form it looks that way. Although a sprinkling of rain may change the order at the front.

#31 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:16

Last year

Q1: P1 Vettel

Q2: P1 Vettel

Q3: P1 Vettel

Race: P1 Vettel - Led all 53 laps!

:up:

#32 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:19

At Fuji someone was looking Hamilton and crashed on to the back of Webber...

#33 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:28

I expect Vettel to put half a second between Webber and himself in qualifying and not even notice him during the race. Which basically means that, unless something serious is found or lost, Vettel will run away with the win and Alonso, Hamilton, Button and Webber will fight for the other podium spots.

#34 sportzgal82

sportzgal82

• 465 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:34

Red Bull will be untouchable. Too many high speed corners for even Ferrari to challenge the Red Bulls.

I'm not sure why some think Mclaren will beat Ferrari this weekend, but we'll see.

Vettel is desperate to score big points over Webber. All Webber needs to do is not to loose his 2nd place.

I think Vettel will win because he needs it and is going to do anything to win over Webber, and Webber should simply chill out and take a safe 2nd place.

Webber has the advantage that Lewis and Alonso can beat Vettel on the other tracks to protect his WDC lead over Vettel, so I hope Webber is smart and won't take any risks :p

I disagree - IF he can get a win here and if Korea isnt finished in time I think he has one hand on the championship - he said in the local paper here he wants to win at least one race....I think Suzuka is the best chance

LOVE the face he's being written of against Pettle AGAIN......going to be so much fun WHEN he wins :D

SO PUMPED!!!!!

Edited by sportzgal82, 29 September 2010 - 12:35.

#35 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:41

I don't think wanting it is going to make any difference. They all want a win, and if they can't have that then they want big points. Plus meltdown for the others obviously :lol: .

The pressure will be on Webber though, a bit more than the others.

#36 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:45

Want it make it clear that I accept that if the races are "normal" then [probably] Webber or Alonso will be crowned WDC in Brazil or Abu Dhabi. However I smile at the fans who are calling it as over for Vettel, Hamilton and Button.

ANYTHING can happen (quite literally), with weather, mechanical failures, contact, shunts etc. It is hardly impossible [improbable maybe, but not impossible] to contemplate a scenario where Webber and Alonso DNF at Suzuka (and Vettel, Hamilton and Button take the top three points paying positions, for argument's sake in that order.

That would mean the following;

1. VET 206 pts
2. WEB 202 pts
2. HAM 200 pts
4. BUT 192 pts
5. ALO 191 pts

This would leave only 15 pts (a third place finish) separating the 5th place contender from the championship leader going to Korea (or Brazil if Korea is cancelled). This ties in with Alonso's public assertion that it is still a five way fight for the title.

There are showers forecast for this weekend, so who is to say it won't rain again during the weekend of the race? I realise I may appear to be someone clutching at straws, which is NOT the point of my post. Merely that this has been a crazy up and down season and I think it is daft to rule out further twists in an epic championship battle...

#37 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,823 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:52

I'm going for a Button win - a Webber and Alonso DNF would really mix it up.

#38 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:53

I think RB and Mclaren over Ferrari a little gap. Hamilton-Vettel and Mark for Victory.

Really think Mclaren will be fine at Suzuka.

Regards

#39 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54

About Webber, I can only see him win if Vettel fecks up. That's how it was at Silverstone and Hungaroring. But now Ferrari and McLaren are too close for comfort and I don't see Webber turning it up a notch and fiding more speed. Vettel has had his measure everywhere since Hockenheim, the mistakes at Hungaroring and Spa were a blessing in diguise for the Aussie.

Advertisement

#40 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54

I have no idea but in the spirit of the thread I think Hamilton will win. Hamilton has been getting incredible starts, I think he will qualify well and get into the lead in the first 2 laps. This track does not have such a slow, tight first corner and I think that will help him carry some speed from the start.

I hope I am wrong though. :smoking:

#41 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 13:01

About Webber, I can only see him win if Vettel fecks up. That's how it was at Silverstone and Hungaroring. But now Ferrari and McLaren are too close for comfort and I don't see Webber turning it up a notch and fiding more speed. Vettel has had his measure everywhere since Hockenheim, the mistakes at Hungaroring and Spa were a blessing in diguise for the Aussie.

Vettel had a different front wing in Silverstone, so technically that was down to Vettel having the better parts. The puncture was unlucky though. As for Hungary... Webber's superior race pace got him ahead - hence my signature.

You contradicted yourself. Webber clearly beat Vettel at Spa.

#42 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 13:32

That front wing was worth a tenth or so, which was the gap between them in qualifying. It's technically to close to call, but also a mute point since Vettel had the puncture. Vettel messed up, Webber won.
At Hungaroring, Webber's superior pace won against Alonso in the Ferrari. Well, the Red Bull was driving circles around every that weekend, Mansell could have returned and beat the field if he felt like it. Vettel did himself the huge favour of messing things up under the safety car. Vettel was faster in qualifying and seemed to be generally faster that weekend, but it becomes irrelevant since his own mistake was his undoing and the door was left wide open for Webber. Again, Vettel messed up, Webber won.
Webber qualified ahead but his start was horrible at Spa. There was no telling who was faster between Vettel and him during the race because Button held them all and then Vettel came up with an instant classic clumsy move. Again Webber had a great result only after Vettel messed up.

On the other hand, when things have gone relatively smoothly for both of them, Vettel has been ahead. Hockenheim, Monza, Singapore. Not to mention Vettel at least made an impression during those races while Webber just sat there fighting with guys he should have beat easily from flag to flag.

I don't think Webber will win any other normal race this season, but he doesn't need that to clinch the title.

#43 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,577 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 13:45

Well, seeing as though my predictions have been pretty much spot on since Monza. Here we go...

1. Alonso
2. Vettel
3. Massa
4. Webber
5. Button

I know you Macca guys are going to get mad but Hamilton will tangle with Rosberg this time resulting in a DNF for the both of them. :p

I got Alonso down for the win because I'm feeling lucky.

#44 equinoxuk

equinoxuk

• 278 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:09

1) Vettel
2) Hamilton
3) Button
4) Webber
5) Massa
6) Rosberg

DNF for Alonso when his engine explodes.

#45 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:21

quali vettel webber hamilton alonso massa button....

race webber and vettel take out each other..... its 50 50 btw alonso and ham....

id say alonso ham masaa

#46 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:25

ANYTHING can happen (quite literally), with weather, mechanical failures, contact, shunts etc. It is hardly impossible [improbable maybe, but not impossible] to contemplate a scenario where Webber and Alonso DNF at Suzuka (and Vettel, Hamilton and Button take the top three points paying positions, for argument's sake in that order.

That would mean the following;

1. VET 206 pts
2. WEB 202 pts
2. HAM 200 pts
4. BUT 192 pts
5. ALO 191 pts

This would leave only 15 pts (a third place finish) separating the 5th place contender from the championship leader going to Korea (or Brazil if Korea is cancelled). This ties in with Alonso's public assertion that it is still a five way fight for the title.

Made to Order WDC.

Perhaps Bernie can speak to the concerned parties to arrange something like this.

#47 fauxhemian

fauxhemian

• 639 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:28

I'm not going to attempt to predict the results in Suzuka, but I'd be surprised if all 5 contenders finish in the top 5.

I know it was an unremarkable race really for Vettel in Singapore, but, that speaks volumes to me. His attitude seems to have changed and he has got his emotions in check. He was noticeably more relaxed last weekend.

This is a positive thing for him going into the endgame. I was extremely critical of his petulance earlier in the year, but if he just relaxes he'll be fine.

The pressure seems to be building on Webber & Hamilton.

I have doubts about Webber's ability to handle it - and it's not his fault, this constant din of "this will probably be your last chance at getting the WDC!" must be especially grating.

Hamilton, I don't know. But I think it's going to go one of two ways; he'll drive like a genius and put himself back in contention, or he'll put himself out.

Alonso is on the up. The momentum is with him. At this point, for me, it's between him and Vettel.

I don't think Button feels under any great pressure and so long as he's not punted out, or suffers a failure, he'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. (3rd?)

Bleh, I really can't tell which way the championship is going to go, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Webber does it.

Anyway I just hope we go into the last race with 2 or more drivers with it all to play for.

Can't wait. :clap:

#48 Dome

Dome

• 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:32

I think Red Bull will be the team to beat at Suzuka, Vettel was awesome around here last year so he should be right up there maybe just ahead of Webber, will be very close to call between Vettel and Webber in all honesty. As long as the Red Bulls have reatined their dominance in high speed corners then the Ferraris and the Mclarens will be fighting for third with Alonso edging on the podium ahead of the McLarens i think.

#49 orndorf

orndorf

• 379 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 14:33

The RedBulls should have a big advantage here but as to who will be faster between Vettel and Webber will be interesting to see.If Webber wins this one he becomes massive odds on favorite to take the WDC.

#50 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 15:16

i think suzuka will be dominated by vettel, but obviously mark can win if vettel chokes again. the mclarens and ferraris have a chance but a small one only imo