Photo

Indianapolis 500 - the first 100 years

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 15:48

We are approaching the 100th anniversary of the first event on Tuesday, May 30, 1911.

So with permission of the TNF members lets start a separate thread that encompasses this memorable 100 years.

The good, the bad, the ugly are open for discussion and lets try to uncover the stories not making the headlines as well as what is remembered best.

First, what is your most memorable moment?

This topic is very tough to search so if a thread already exists please accept my apology and I would ask Twinny to combine.

Henry :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 15:58

To set the ball rolling with some "good" (from my perspective), three things stand out...

- The Mercedes Pushrod year

- Rick's pass on Mikey in 1991

- Sam's pass on Marco in 2006.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 05 October 2010 - 17:13.

#3 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 19:12

Most memorable moment? Johncock winning in the rain in 73. Lot's of bad memories with that one also.

#4 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,022 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:42

Gurney's two second places with the push-rod engine.
Roger Rager and the bus engine.
The hot-shots wrecking in '92.
Luyendyk winning.
Cheever's lapping at over 230 because he could and he had nothing better to do.

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:46

Being there in 1988 was absolutely amazing, for a while it looked like Jim Crawford had finished in 2nd place but the results were later amended.

The fan drunkometer was just completely off the planet though. I'd hate to be a female visiting the place.

Some where I have some pics, I might even still have the T Shirt.

#6 msan

msan

• 23 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:26

1985 - "Spin and Win"
1986 - great win for Rahal
1989 - collision between Junior and Emmo
1992 - a race full of crashes and problems - including another DNF for Michael Andretti
1995 - huge crash of Stan Fox and moment when Goodyear lost his win.
1999 - problems of Robby Gordon
2003 - battle batween Penske drivers
2006 - amazing finish of Sam

#7 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 13:57

Most memorable:

1982 Smiley crash in quals
1982 Johncock holding off Mears
1983 (?) Kevin Cogan takes out Mario and AJ before the race even starts

#8 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 14:40

Most memorable:

1982 Smiley crash in quals
1982 Johncock holding off Mears
1983 (?) Kevin Cogan takes out Mario and AJ before the race even starts

1982 - Then Foyt goes out and leads the first 23 laps of the race at then race record speeds for 1, 2, 4, 10 & 20 laps. After the contact with Cogan. Foyt's 25th anniversary race, the only time he ever led the opening lap of the race.

So many great memories from growing up 110 miles north of the track. Since I was a kid, my family's automotive passion took us to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at least 4-5 times a year. To this day, if I'm in Indy, I'll take the time just to drive by the track. Stop in to visit if time allows. Glad it's in my home state. More will follow. Thanks for starting the thread Henry.

#9 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 16:46

As a 10 year old, reading that my favorite team & driver would soon be a part of the Indy Car series was a good day. Mark Donohue's first test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the Penske Racing Sunoco Eagle-Chevrolet. October, 1968 Goodyear tire test.

From page 72, Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs by Michael Argetsinger.

photo: Jerry Kroninger - permission from Michael Argetsinger.
Posted Image

#10 Russ Snyder

Russ Snyder

• 360 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 17:46

First, what is your most memorable moment?

1973 Indy 500. I was 10 yrs old.
For good and bad reasons.
good. I missed school on tues/wed with Dad signing skip note.
bad. one of my fav drivers died 33 days later from horrific n/w turn crash (swede savage)

#11 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 17:52

The Savage crash (double entendre intended) is my first memory of the '500.' At least I think it is. All I remember is seeing a terrible, fiery one-car crackup on a huge speedway when I was very young. Don't know what else it would have been except perhaps Art Pollard's fatal in '73.

#12 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 20:35

Been going to Indy for years and am a real race freak. I go with binoculars, camera, backpack, sunblock,etc. Took my neighbors 7 year old son once. Half way thru the race he asked if he could use my binoculars. I thought to myself that I had just cloned a new race fan. Then I saw he was checking out the action in the snake pit. For those who are too new, the snake pit was a marsh just inside turn one (long gone now) where college students would campout for the race and consume large quantities of adult beverages. For some reason this caused all the young coeds to take their tops off. That what my little friend was so interested in.

#13 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 15:10

This photo illustrates the wide range of memorable moments that come with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for me. A few days after his 1995 pole position, I was able to spend a few minutes with friend, Scott Brayton, and offer him my congratulations. He would be gone a year and two days later, after another pole winning run at "his" beloved Speedway.

photo:B² collection
Posted Image

#14 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,903 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:30

Being there in 1988 was absolutely amazing, for a while it looked like Jim Crawford had finished in 2nd place but the results were later amended.

The fan drunkometer was just completely off the planet though. I'd hate to be a female visiting the place.

Some where I have some pics, I might even still have the T Shirt.

1988 was my first year too. They say the first time is the best time ever.
But since I am Dutch and due to an incredible amount of circumstances (some of them sad) ended up at Indy in 1990 as well, it is difficult to choose between 1988 or 1990.
probably still 1990.

1994 was also strange, I cursed Penske en that 500I engine they had come up with that ruined what could have been a good race. Later on when the engine was banned I realized that I had seen history like rarely seen in racing before and with hindsight I appreciate 1994 very much nowadays.

Highlight in the Indy century for me remains the 60's. So much changes and such a wonderful period. Going from the "FreezFrame" roadster years into the dynamic era of changes and innovations. A joy to read about.

Henri

#15 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:17

How about the 1939 and 1940 races effectively won by a Mafia mobster entrant who used union-extorted money to purchase an 8CTF for Wilbur? :)
Brock Yates has a great book titled "Umbrella Mike" describing this sordid character's criminal enterprises and his love for racing.
Nothing much has changed in Chicago ever since... :lol:

#16 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:13

33 legendary Indy cars seen on track at Speedway to celebrate centennial

Read more: http://www.autoweek....1#ixzz12GQ4MBWq

Vince H.

#17 Russ Snyder

Russ Snyder

• 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 20:56

33 legendary Indy cars seen on track at Speedway to celebrate centennial

Read more: http://www.autoweek....1#ixzz12GQ4MBWq

Vince H.

thanks Vince! I would have missed this probably

I asked this question a few years back, would they roll out some of the classics for the 2011 race....I suppose we will have to wait to see if they take them around the track for us during the ceremonies.

I would love to hear a 1950's Novi racing down the front stretch in person!

#18 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 23:46

I was a part of this event on Tuesday, it was absolutely amazing.

#19 LB

LB

• 13,575 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:21

Not one of mine as I wasn't born, but apparently my mum watched Jim Clark's victory in a Glasgow cinema, apparently the place was cheering to the rafters!

Me, earliest I can remember was maybe 82 or 83 on the BBC Highlights a week later the spin to win in 1985 was the first I can clearly remember, but I was fascinated with these strange cars from abroad compared to the F1 diet I was used to!

Advertisement

#20 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,903 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:27

thanks Vince! I would have missed this probably

I would love to hear a 1950's Novi racing down the front stretch in person!

To my knowledge there are no 50's Novis in running condition, only one that was also used in the early 50's but was built in 1946, the sister cor to the `Duke Nalon car`that is on display in the museum

That Novi, the "Hepburn/Miller death car" (and currently still the official track record holder of the 4 lap Qualifying record for front drive cars! ) has been out on the speedway at least once on a Carb Day run with veteran cars. But I was told that it was a procession with a pace car in the fron that never went any faster then 80 or so miles.
This since the majority of the cars were driven by their owners, no professional race drivers so IMS didn't want to open up the track to allow any high speeds anywhere, let alone hotlapping. (Only if AJ steps in one of his Roadsters he is allowed to ...... :) )

The only thing that Novi fans can hope for is that IMS manages to persuade the Novi motorsports of Fame museum to prepeare the Ferguson-Novi they own, Bobby Unser still being alive and kicking and permit him to go as fast as the Novi Museum allows him to go in their property.

I do think that, should IMS allow an hour of track time to the three exisitng running Novis for them alone, lift all speed limits etc and announce it in time to the public that there will be one hour of Novis on the trackl, good chance there will be more veteran race fans attending that hour of track time then on any practice day and it will be one of the busiest hours at the track publicwise.

Henri

#21 Russ Snyder

Russ Snyder

• 360 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 15:28

To my knowledge there are no 50's Novis in running condition, only one that was also used in the early 50's but was built in 1946, the sister cor to the `Duke Nalon car`that is on display in the museum

That Novi, the "Hepburn/Miller death car" (and currently still the official track record holder of the 4 lap Qualifying record for front drive cars! ) has been out on the speedway at least once on a Carb Day run with veteran cars. But I was told that it was a procession with a pace car in the fron that never went any faster then 80 or so miles.
This since the majority of the cars were driven by their owners, no professional race drivers so IMS didn't want to open up the track to allow any high speeds anywhere, let alone hotlapping. (Only if AJ steps in one of his Roadsters he is allowed to ...... :) )

The only thing that Novi fans can hope for is that IMS manages to persuade the Novi motorsports of Fame museum to prepeare the Ferguson-Novi they own, Bobby Unser still being alive and kicking and permit him to go as fast as the Novi Museum allows him to go in their property.

I do think that, should IMS allow an hour of track time to the three exisitng running Novis for them alone, lift all speed limits etc and announce it in time to the public that there will be one hour of Novis on the trackl, good chance there will be more veteran race fans attending that hour of track time then on any practice day and it will be one of the busiest hours at the track publicwise.

Henri

Henri

As always, a big thank you for the info!

I am with you...I would love to see/hear those classic's in person having a go round the track a few times.

It would give some us the opportunity to see what our Dad's, Grandfathers & great-Grandfathers witnessed on the track. Going to the museum is always a treat, but to actually hear them in their proper place i.e. track?
please IMS and Donald Davidson if you are reading, allow some of these classics to spin around the track again for all of us.

#22 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:26

I think Tom Malloy has a Novi complete with engine that he runs once and a while. Also, a whole $hitload of Novi engine pqarts were auctioned here in the states. They were found in the city garage of Novi Michigan. They were apparently left over from the car sold (given) to the City that spawned the cars. Tom Malloy was rumored to have been the buyer.
Maybe he will be asked to run his Novi at Indy soon...

ZOOOM

#23 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 00:55

My earliest 500 memory was Foyt's fourth win in 1977. I was 7 at the time. The next one that really sticks in my mind was Danny Ongais' horrifying crash four years later. I don't think I really knew until that moment just how destructive racing could become.

#24 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 16:46

My Dad's passion for Duesenberg's led our family in way that allowed 1925 Indianapolis 500 winner, Peter DePaolo, to become a friend and the first actual professional race driver that I would meet.

Posted Image

#25 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 15:12

A couple of mementos on my wall from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This type of signage was used, to the best of my knowledge, for marking out infield parking section numbers.

How it associates with the one hundred year anniversary, for me, is that my brother & I found these discarded on one of our many adventures in the south infield area. The parents would be at the north end of the track attending a car show or parts swap meet. After fullfilling the parents social requirements, we'd head for where we knew there could be Indy cars in the garages. We got to explore every nook and cranny. For 47 of my 52 years, IMS has been like a second home to me. I'm proud to have a few pieces of this marvelous place in my home & heart.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 23 October 2010 - 15:26.

#26 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:43

A nice promo from IMS:

http://www.youtube.c...ture=grec_index

#27 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 13:08

'65: Jim Clark and the Lotus 38

'07: Ashley Judd and that dress

#28 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,095 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:19

The three Peugeot twincam wins were pretty sweet.

#29 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 13:22

My first exposure to oval racing (other than reading magazine reports) was the 1966 Indy 500. Transatlantic TV broadcasting via satellite was in its infancy but a live telecast was screened in a few cinemas in major UK cities. I saw it in Manchester as a schoolboy and remember being disappointed that the transmission was black & white - why I should have expected colour I'm not sure as all UK TV was monochrome then.

As usual at Indy it was a rolling start (another first for me) and as the leaders went through turn 1 on the first racing lap, there was a 16-car pile-up on the main straight. The cause was completely unclear at the time but I believe it was eventually attributed to Billy Foster hitting the back of Gordon Johncock, triggering a chain-reaction. The crash eliminated 11 cars, including those of A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney and Cale Yarborough.

There is a black & white clip of the crash on You Tube:
1966 Indy 500 crash

At the time all of us watching it in the cinema were horrified - it seemed impossible that there would not have been deaths - but miraculously, the only injuries were to A J Foyt, who cut a finger and a bruised a knee scrambling the wire fence to reach the stands. The race was immediately red-flagged to allow the wreckage to be removed and the track cleaned. It re-started about an hour and a half later.

The race was described by The Indianapolis Star as "the most fantastic, confused and incredible 500" and was eventually won by Graham Hill from Jim Clark - though even that was in doubt at the time: Colin Chapman insisted that Clark had won and tried to have his car pushed into the Victory Circle. Graham Hill apparently had no doubts though, allegedly telling Clark "too late mate, I've drunk the milk!"

I was never a regular reader of "Motor Sport" (preferring "Autosport" and when I could get them, "Road & Track" and "Sports Car Graphic") but when I did buy it, I was always mildly irritated that they insisted on using metric rather than Imperial measures for race results - kph rather than mph for example. What really wound me up though was reading a report of "the Indianapolis 805 kilometer race"!

Edited by Amphicar, 19 December 2010 - 14:39.

#30 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 14:04

In the days before live tv, listening to the race with the family on the radio, then months afterwards my dad through business connections was able to acquire colour footage of the races and we'd drive over to his office where he'd set up a projector and we'd watch the race highlights. If memory serves we did that we did that for 3 or 4 years running starting in'62.

#31 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 21:06

SO many I don't know where to start. I have missed one Indy since 1956.
All have been enjoyable. Prolly the best was Clark's win. I have loved F1 and its' drivers for years and to see the greatest win my countrys greatest race was terrific.

#32 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:32

The Marmon Wasp on a US postage stamp, from the Indy Star:

http://www.indystar....l|text|Sports|p

#33 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 14:53

Thanks for sharing, B Squared. Nice to see that the '500' hasn't fallen completely off the radar screen. Also nice to see the stamp done in an art deco style; somebody put a bit of thought into this. Most appropriate.

#34 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 15:19

A couple of photos of myself and my dad at the IMS museum during the 2003 '500 weekend IIRC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 22:28

Brian: my first year was 1961 when Jack Brabham arrived with the Kimberly/Cooper. Really set the place on its ear. I remember stories about his drivers test and the consistency he showed lap after lap. I will post more early stuff as we go along here. visit my web page in the mean time for a lot of good old stuff from the Brick yard. Regards, Ron Nelson www.classicvintagemotorsports.com

Brian: my first year was 1961 when Jack Brabham arrived with the Kimberly/Cooper. Really set the place on its ear. I remember stories about his drivers test and the consistency he showed lap after lap. I will post more early stuff as we go along here. visit my web page in the mean time for a lot of good old stuff from the Brick yard. Regards, Ron Nelson www.classicvintagemotorsports.com
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#36 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:53

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted on behalf of Ed Arnaudin

I am sure I have seen pics of a gold Thunderbird Pace car at Goodwood was it the original 1961 car ?

Does anyone recognise the 'dude' steering the Lotus ?

#37 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:08

Many years ago I used to work for a small company that restored vintage and historic cars in Hertfordshire, one day there was no one in the office and I answered the phone when it rang.
The chap on the other end said he wanted to speak to the boss and he was calling from America, I asked his name and he said 'Roger Ward'.

One of my many claims to fame, answering the phone to a double Indianapolis winner.

#38 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:10

Posted Image
Does anyone recognise the 'dude' steering the Lotus ?

From looking at shots and descriptions in Team Lotus: The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson, I'd say Colin Riley.

#39 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:52

From looking at shots and descriptions in Team Lotus: The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson, I'd say Colin Riley.

Thanks Brian :up:

Advertisement

#40 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 22:03

We will do our part IF the IMS is even interested to know that 50 years ago in their 100-year history, a few smart Brits and a certain Aussie threw a wrench into the establishment's well-set ideas. If not, we will celebrate that little incident at the Festival of Speed, thanks to the good word of DCN who knows what is important and what is not in the history of racing on this fifth planet from the sun...

Please CLICK HERE. :)

Edited by T54, 07 March 2011 - 22:04.

#41 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 23:05

Wow, I did not realize that the T-54 was such a basket case, T-54. (sorry about that). Congrats for a great job in restoring what is truly a one of a kind.
Tom

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 00:13

We will do our part IF the IMS is even interested to know that 50 years ago in their 100-year history, a few smart Brits and a certain Aussie threw a wrench into the establishment's well-set ideas. If not, we will celebrate that little incident at the Festival of Speed, thanks to the good word of DCN who knows what is important and what is not in the history of racing on this fifth planet from the sun...

Please CLICK HERE. :)

Lets hope Indy get their act together :rolleyes:

Nice website :up:

#43 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:59

Thanks! :)

Wow, I did not realize that the T-54 was such a basket case

As inspector Clouseau said at the very end of the "Pink Panther" movie, "well, it was not easy!" :stoned: We had some of the finest craftsmen in the business (they have unfortunately passed away since) to help us putting it right. The car has done 1500 miles of demos since it was put right in 1991.
Right now we are freshening the engine, the very one that Jack drove at Indy, the very one Jack used to win the 1961 LA Times GP at Riverside, and that was later sold to Roger Penske with which he won that same race in 1962, CLICK HERE. Yes, it's got a few miles on it! :smoking:

We will have the car running again soon, and will make a few pre-Indy (if it happens) or Pre-Goodwood (that WILL happen) at Cal Speedway at the end of April.
I sincerely hope that the IMS guys get their act together but at this time it is rather discouraging. I also talked to a well-known Watson-Offy owner and a true promoter of Indy history, and he is so disgusted that he does not plan to do anything.
It is pretty scary when the IMS offers THIS in a way of a celebration instead of inviting true race cars and their current guardians there... :well:
Pretty discouraging so far. :(

#44 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 14:11

I have always wondered where your "T54" handle came from.
Now I know!

How did you guys finally chose the correct color for the car?
Is it green or blue?
ZOOOM

#45 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 15:56

It is pretty scary when the IMS offers THIS in a way of a celebration instead of inviting true race cars and their current guardians there... :well:
Pretty discouraging so far. :(

Without wishing to sound discouraging one has to wonder how the good folks at IMS define the word "important", surely a little humility and letting history decide the "most important race in history" is a better way to go :eek:

Is there anything we (well at least one of us Indy fans) at TNF can do to encourage IMS to make sure the T54 is where it is supposed to be on Memorial Day ?

#46 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:03

How did you guys finally chose the correct color for the car?

Is it green or blue?Wow, this has been a very contentious subject here! :rotfl:
Simple truth is, when we removed the riveted aluminum fairing that covered the water-return tubing on the outside of the body, there was plenty of the original paint there, and it was definitely not "BRG". My wife made a fresh paint chip matching the old paint that was of course quite flat from 30 years of sitting in a cold attic in Washington state. We brought both samples to the House of Colors and they mixed the lacquer for us, and when we were done, Jack Brabham visited with us and told us that the color was "just right."
The people who were at the Speedway that year as well as all the old pictures, are on our side. The color on the pictures of the 1959/1960 F1 do not match the color pictures of the Indy car, that ALWAYS appears darker and more blue than green on the pictures.
But many others told us that it is "all wrong" and that the car was painted "just like the F1 cars were".
We like it the way it is. :cool:

Is there anything we (well at least one of us Indy fans) at TNF can do to encourage IMS to make sure the T54 is where it is supposed to be on Memorial Day ?

You could place a call to the new IMS Public Relation manager, who is supposed to be a great fan of history (but apparently, as Donald Davidson himself, knew little about the Cooper T54 and the T53 "backup" car). His name is Mark Dill and he has a website called www.firstsuperspeedway.com
He was named PR manager in April, 2010. I had a brief discussion with him over the telephone regarding this matter, made a very reasonable offer and that was weeks ago.
IMS general number is 317-492-8500 and email to Mark Dill is mdill@brickyard.com
I am not holding my breath, these people at the IMS today are not of the same creed as they used to be in the pre-Tony George era. Their perception of history appears to be limited to what Chip Ganassi has accomplished in the past 10 years there.

Edited by T54, 08 March 2011 - 16:21.

#47 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:53

You could place a call to the new IMS Public Relation manager, who is supposed to be a great fan of history (but apparently, as Donald Davidson himself, knew little about the Cooper T54 and the T53 "backup" car). His name is Mark Dill and he has a website called www.firstsuperspeedway.com
He was named PR manager in April, 2010. I had a brief discussion with him over the telephone regarding this matter, made a very reasonable offer and that was weeks ago.
IMS general number is 317-492-8500 and email to Mark Dill is mdill@brickyard.com

Mark is a member of TNF, so could also be contacted/encouraged via PM:

http://forums.autosp...?showuser=17480

Much as I should like to see T54 back at Goodwood again, its rightful place is at Indy. Here's hoping.

#48 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:27

This is assuming that the IMS even cares. Outside of their nice little grid they published a couple of months ago where ugly-a$$ Dallaras where infesting the historic grid, and the disastrous "test" (1/4 or a lap before it puked) of the Roger Ward Watson by Sam Posey in Road & track, plus the Lotus 38 laps by Dario earlier in the year, what are their plans? And we are already in MARCH!
Assuming that they indeed have something planned (and apparently not on their website unless I am even more blind than I think) the simple problem for me is that of economics. I can only afford to do so much, and am already facing a pretty hefty cost of engine freshening... I am on Social Security for God sake! :lol:
Well, from July anyway... :smoking:
But they sure are spending a lot of money promoting weird stuff that has little to do with their history.
Bring back Tony Hulman!

#49 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,903 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:56

Without wishing to sound discouraging one has to wonder how the good folks at IMS define the word "important", surely a little humility and letting history decide the "most important race in history" is a better way to go :eek:

I think that, since I am posting it, most people will find out quick enough which car I refer to in the following message.

But to my knowledge, IMS hasn't replied yet on a suggestion by the owner of a certain car to bring it to the track upcoming May.
he was asked to bring over another car in his collection. A significant car too
But the other car I he wanted to bring along is, in fact, one of the cars that still holds one of the official track records.
Now wouldn't you want to see a car that still holds a track record back on the track in the centennial year??

Or will we see something similar like the celebration of the 75th 500, the 80th year in 1991: Lots and loads of pace cars..... ????

But who knows with what IMS will surprise us eventually. It's not that they are not capable of doing something special.
Here is still hope and faith that they just want to surprise us and knock us off our feet....

Henri

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:19

:up: Great Thread. Wonderful pictures and memories from a certain Mr.Squared :rotfl:
My favourites were the two I attended.
1) The 1995 Indy 505...(Watching JV come from 2 laps down to get the win after various pace car infractions)
2) Last year, The 2010 500 where I was able to witness up close my pal Dario win in convincing fashion.

My first exposure to oval racing (other than reading magazine reports) was the 1966 Indy 500. Transatlantic TV broadcasting via satellite was in its infancy but a live telecast was screened in a few cinemas in major UK cities. I saw it in Manchester as a schoolboy and remember being disappointed that the transmission was black & white - why I should have expected colour I'm not sure as all UK TV was monochrome then.

Interesting that you point this out Amphicar...I too attended a live satellite broadcast of that very race. It was in Encino California. I snuck out of the house at 7 am and stood in line at the theatre to buy a ticket with money I had stolen from my Mom's purse. We had just returned from the South of France where my Dad was working on GrandPrix. Having just witnessed the F1 race in Monaco a few days prior there was no stopping me now..(Life over, car racing in the blood forever.)

Jp