2011 Italian Grand prix

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 F1NICK

F1NICK

• 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 18:10

Hello,

I have read all the posts on the bulletin board about the Italian Grand Prix with interest, as I am planning to go to Milan and Monza for next years Grand Prix to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have been to the British Grand Prix a number of times and also once went to the Australian Grand Prix, but I have never yet been to a Grand Prix in Europe.

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer please. It has been suggested that Grandstand 6B gives a good compromise between price and view, can someone advise which Grandstand 6B is please from the below virtual map of Monza, as this gives the names of the Grandstands but not their numbers.

http://www.mygpticke..._f1/virtual_map

Also if you buy a weekend ticket you obviously get a given seat for the Sunday but is it a roving seat on the Friday and Saturday or just the Friday? Also is the Pit Lane walkabout on the Thursday part of the weekend ticket or is this something extra you have to buy?

Advertisement

#2 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 21:36

I sat in 6B this year and it is called the Alta Velocita I believe. It is inside the end of the main straight, at the first chicane. Great place to sit. You get to see the cars scream down the straight over 200MPH and have to hammer on the brakes to get around the tight chicane. Good for overtaking, crashes on the first lap and drivers missing the chicane.
A 3 day ticket allows you to sit anywhere on Friday, but not Saturday or of course Sunday.
My only complaint was tons of people sat in the aisles...I don't know if they had tickets for 6B or not. It would be pretty easy to gate crash with General Admission tickets. The was no security personnel in the stands, just at the entrance behind the Grandstands where it would be easy to slip through when busy.
I thought 6B was a great combination of affordability and great sight lines.
I didn't do it, but I think your ticket allows the pit walk on Thursday...have a great time. Hope the weather and the race will be as good as this year.

#3 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:46

Out of curiousity, as it's Ferrari territory are you likely to be lynched if you wear anything other than red or cheer on another team? Is there a visible contingent of other supporters there?

#4 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 21:18

I didn't notice any animosity toward non Ferrari fans. Since Kimi retired I really don't have a favorite team or driver, but my girlfriend is a Button fan. We sat next to Ferrari fans from Spain and they were perfectly fine with her cheering Jenson. I saw Kubica fans, and many McLaren supporters and didn't notice any sort of confrontations. The fans to me were surprising well behaved. Of course, after the race they tried to steal anything that wasn't nailed down.

#5 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:43

Out of curiosity, as it's Ferrari territory are you likely to be lynched if you wear anything other than red or cheer on another team? Is there a visible contingent of other supporters there?

No. F1 isn't like football where you're either for or against. There's a huge mix of fans of drivers, fans of teams, fans who just love the sport (who would watch football 'just for the sport'?).

#6 wilsonf1

wilsonf1

• 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 23:39

Was a good question about the Ferrari fans! You never know! The first time I ever visit the Italian Grand Prix I want to go as an outright Ferrari fan for the weekend to soak up the atmosphere properly.

Not gonna happen for a few years whilst I'm besotted with Lewis though!

#7 F1Colin2k10

F1Colin2k10

• 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:44

I sat in 6B this year and it is called the Alta Velocita I believe. It is inside the end of the main straight, at the first chicane. Great place to sit. You get to see the cars scream down the straight over 200MPH and have to hammer on the brakes to get around the tight chicane. Good for overtaking, crashes on the first lap and drivers missing the chicane.
A 3 day ticket allows you to sit anywhere on Friday, but not Saturday or of course Sunday.
My only complaint was tons of people sat in the aisles...I don't know if they had tickets for 6B or not. It would be pretty easy to gate crash with General Admission tickets. The was no security personnel in the stands, just at the entrance behind the Grandstands where it would be easy to slip through when busy.
I thought 6B was a great combination of affordability and great sight lines.
I didn't do it, but I think your ticket allows the pit walk on Thursday...have a great time. Hope the weather and the race will be as good as this year.

Hi Dick

Im considering purchasing tickets at the first chicane, and was wondering you could please give your opinion to which of the grandstands (6 A B C) give the best views of the cars, do you get to see the cars at full speed in 6B? Thanks very much

#8 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:17

I'm guessing 6C would give the best view, I never sat there, but they are very expensive. You can see the cars at full speed from 6B, but not for long as that grandstand is right in the braking zone. Still a great place to watch the incredible speed and the awesome deceleration coming into the chicane. For the difference in price 6B seems a good compromise.

#9 F1NICK

F1NICK

• 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 19:31

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of how quickly the tickets sell for the Italian Grand Prix. Am planning to buy a weekend ticket for next years race, probably after reading above in Alta Velocita 6B, but probably won't be getting the tickets until early next year. Christmas expense to deal with first. Should that still be ok to get decent grandstand seats then?

#10 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 20:03

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of how quickly the tickets sell for the Italian Grand Prix. Am planning to buy a weekend ticket for next years race, probably after reading above in Alta Velocita 6B, but probably won't be getting the tickets until early next year. Christmas expense to deal with first. Should that still be ok to get decent grandstand seats then?

It's always difficult to judge. Some years the tickets sell out quite quickly but this was my grandstand last year at 13:44 on race day. My seat was opposite the pits & nearly opposite the podium but I could have sat anywhere.

Posted Image

#11 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 20:50

i'm also planning for a trip to Monza 2011, just wonder is the circuit located near Rome/Milan? I'm planning to visit Rome and Venice, maybe Milan is it's closed to the circuit, just wonder if it's near either Rome or Milan (how far??)?

thanks!!

#12 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 21:26

Milan is very close. Most people stay there. Easy access by train and bus. Rome is very far away. You would never be able to commute unless you could fly with Bernie in his helicopter.

#13 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 21:42

Milan is very close. Most people stay there. Easy access by train and bus. Rome is very far away. You would never be able to commute unless you could fly with Bernie in his helicopter.

thanks, i know Bernie, maybe he'll give me a ride in his helicopter............oh, i forgot that he doesn't know me :eek:

#14 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:08

Hello
i've come up with the following plan of my trip to Italy in 2011 (with the GP), can you please see if this would work or not, any suggestion?

16 days / 15 nights (Hotel)
Sep 1, Thursday Flight from Toronto (7:10pm) to Rome
Sep 2, Friday Arrive in Rome (9:40am @ Fiumicino Airport) (in Rome)
Sep 3, Saturday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 4, Sunday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 5, Monday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 6, Tuesday Train from Rome to Milan (in Milan)
Sep 7, Wednesday Visiting Bergamo (in Milan)
Sep 8, Thursday Pit Walk & Milan (in Milan)
Sep 9, Friday Practice & Milan (in Milan)
Sep 10, Saturday Visiting Lake Maggiore (in Milan)
Sep 11, Sunday Race (in Milan)
Sep 12, Monday Train from Milan to Venice (in Venice)
Sep 13, Tuesday Venice (in Venice)
Sep 14, Wednesay Venice (in Venice)
Sep 15, Thursday Venice (in Venice)
Sep 16, Friday Train from Venice to Rome (6 hr) (in Rome)
Sep 17, Saturday Flight from Rome (11:30am @ Fiumicino Airport) to Toronto

In summary, I'll be spending about 4 days sightseeing in Rome, 2 days in Milan and 3.5 days in Venice (plus the GP) - in bracket is the hotel location i intend to stay in. This will be my first trip to Italy

Much appreciated.

#15 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:19

Grandstand 6 sounds like a pretty good one. When we were walking around on Saturday in 2009, I liked the grandstands at the Ascari chicane and thought that if I go back to that race I'll get tickets there next time. We were right across from the pit entrance, at the exit of the Parabolica, but those seats were pretty boring.

About the Ferrari fans question: they are completely innocuous. No "hooligans." Lots of people in McLaren gear, Finland gear, Poland gear, etc etc. Barrichello won in a Brawn, and people were pretty happy about that (maybe just as long as there was a Ferrari on the podium). If Ferrari wins, though, it might add a bit to the experience to be in Ferrari gear. :)

I would think you'll be fine getting the tickets after Christmas. I just advise ordering them with plenty of time for them to be delivered to you, because picking up tickets at the track can be a real pain in the tuckus.

In 2009, I got information from several sources, including the Autodromo's website, that there was a train that stopped at the Lesmo stop, but none of them said that it only runs on Sunday. That screwed us.

In any case, be ready for a lot of walking and bring an umbrella.

It's a good time. I'm jealous.

#16 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:18

I'd add one day in Rome or a day trip down the coast and drop a day in Venice.

#17 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 21:02

Hello
i've come up with the following plan of my trip to Italy in 2011 (with the GP), can you please see if this would work or not, any suggestion?

16 days / 15 nights (Hotel)
Sep 1, Thursday Flight from Toronto (7:10pm) to Rome
Sep 2, Friday Arrive in Rome (9:40am @ Fiumicino Airport) (in Rome)
Sep 3, Saturday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 4, Sunday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 5, Monday Rome (in Rome)
Sep 6, Tuesday Train from Rome to Milan (in Milan)
Sep 7, Wednesday Visiting Bergamo (in Milan)
Sep 8, Thursday Pit Walk & Milan (in Milan)
Sep 9, Friday Practice & Milan (in Milan)
Sep 10, Saturday Visiting Lake Maggiore (in Milan)
Sep 11, Sunday Race (in Milan)
Sep 12, Monday Train from Milan to Venice (in Venice)
Sep 13, Tuesday Venice (in Venice)
Sep 14, Wednesay Venice (in Venice)
Sep 15, Thursday Venice (in Venice)
Sep 16, Friday Train from Venice to Rome (6 hr) (in Rome)
Sep 17, Saturday Flight from Rome (11:30am @ Fiumicino Airport) to Toronto

In summary, I'll be spending about 4 days sightseeing in Rome, 2 days in Milan and 3.5 days in Venice (plus the GP) - in bracket is the hotel location i intend to stay in. This will be my first trip to Italy

Much appreciated.

:clap:

Sounds fantastic! I stayed a week in Milan for sightseeing & the race this year. I visited Bergamo & Lake Maggiore for the first time & both are easy to get to from Milan's Central Station. Don't forget to take the funicular up to Città Alta in Bergamo. I went to Stresa on Lake Maggiore & took the ferries out to the Borromean Islands. Well worth visiting.

PS Can I come with you?  ;)

#18 mollysue

mollysue

• 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:18

It's always difficult to judge. Some years the tickets sell out quite quickly but this was my grandstand last year at 13:44 on race day. My seat was opposite the pits & nearly opposite the podium but I could have sat anywhere.

Posted Image

Do you know when the tickets for this years race go on sale? I want to buy them for my boyfriend's birthday and they don't seem to be available yet.

#19 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 19:02

Do you know when the tickets for this years race go on sale? I want to buy them for my boyfriend's birthday and they don't seem to be available yet.

Click - MonzaNet

Advertisement

#20 Mr M0by

Mr M0by

• 526 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 20:24

I've been to Monza in '07 (Parabolica 21) & '09 (Stand 6a), both were great experiences. I'm actually in the process of deciding whether to go there again (and sit in stand 8a or 9 this time) or opt for Germany or Hungary next year. For those that haven't been before I really can't recommend it enough though. Ticket prices are cheaper than most other European races & you can stay in Milan, which is a really simple journey to and from the track. On the Thursday afternoon you are allowed in to the circuit. At around 5pm the Pit-lane is opened & the drivers come out to sign autographs. There is no dedicated free transport to the track on Thursdays though.

In both years we were allowed on to the track at the end & managed to get just underneith the podium celebrations. I have some great photo's of Rubens 'shooting an arrow' at us in '09 :cool: and an even better video of us racing around the final corner to get to the podium in '07. It took us several minutes if I recall! Here's a tip.... if you're trying to get ahead of people on the run up there, veering in to the gravel is not a faster shortcut! :lol: The other thing about that year was how I nearly killed myself falling off the top of one of the fences & on to a grassy slope, only to realise 10 seconds later, that the stewards opened the gates to let everyone on anyway!

#21 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 23:00

Atlas GTG anyone? Saturday, 6PM, somewhere near the central station????

#22 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 17:15

Any idea why tickets aren't mailed until September? We get our Canadian GP tickets in time for Christmas some years. As we depart Canada on September 3rd, we're a bit concerned that they won't arrive before we leave. I guess other choice is to send them to hotel....where they may "disappear" mysteriously.

#23 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 18:20

Received my tickets (and lanyards too) today!!!! We're in stand 6B "Alta Velocita B", row F, seats 11 & 12. Anyone want our Friday tickets? Two for E60. Will ship to you or p/u in Milan. Let me know.

#24 XAXIXAX

XAXIXAX

• 513 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:59

Hi everyone! planning to go to Monza next month to see Alonso's victory :wave:
Could anyone please give some advise regarding the weather in september in that region? Thanx.

#25 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 14:36

Hi everyone! planning to go to Monza next month to see Alonso's victory :wave:
Could anyone please give some advise regarding the weather in september in that region? Thanx.

Unless you're unlucky, shorts, t-shirt and plenty of sun block! It rained in 2008 but other than that I can't remember
it not being nice and sunny. It's usually around 25 degrees.

#26 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 19:35

Any suggestions / tips on best way to get from central Milan to Grandstand 6c (inside of first chicane)? Least hassle way possible as one of is recovering from a broken leg! Cost not too big an issue.

#27 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:55

Any suggestions / tips on best way to get from central Milan to Grandstand 6c (inside of first chicane)? Least hassle way possible as one of is recovering from a broken leg! Cost not too big an issue.

Sunday wont be too bad for you as the train from Milan to Monza will drop you off at the Lesmo station, from there you can walk down to 6c. However on Friday and Saturday the train will stop at Monza station, where a (free) bus will take you from the town to the circuit. The bus will drop you off at the entrance to Monza park and it's a couple of miles walk to granstand 6c. The bus is good fun but they do pack you in like sardines, so if you want a seat you have to be quick!

Be sure to check which station the train to Monza is leaving from. Last time I went (2010) it went from Garibaldi, so we had to get the underground from Central -> Garibaldi, then Garibaldi -> Monza. The first two times (2006, 2007) I went, the train to Monza went straight from Central.

I don't think there's any other way to make the walking distance shorter. There are plenty of taxis at Central station, but they quoted us at least 100 euros to get to Monza park and you'll probably end up getting dropped off further away than if you get the bus.

#28 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:27

Sunday wont be too bad for you as the train from Milan to Monza will drop you off at the Lesmo station, from there you can walk down to 6c. However on Friday and Saturday the train will stop at Monza station, where a (free) bus will take you from the town to the circuit. The bus will drop you off at the entrance to Monza park and it's a couple of miles walk to granstand 6c. The bus is good fun but they do pack you in like sardines, so if you want a seat you have to be quick!

Be sure to check which station the train to Monza is leaving from. Last time I went (2010) it went from Garibaldi, so we had to get the underground from Central -> Garibaldi, then Garibaldi -> Monza. The first two times (2006, 2007) I went, the train to Monza went straight from Central.

I don't think there's any other way to make the walking distance shorter. There are plenty of taxis at Central station, but they quoted us at least 100 euros to get to Monza park and you'll probably end up getting dropped off further away than if you get the bus.

Thanks for the info. (especially the point re the best point of entry to the track). I think we'll keep our options open to nearer the time.