Photo

Roy McCarthy has passed away

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 16:16

For those of you in the UK who watched Roy over the years, unfortunately he passed away this morning.
Roy was a supporter of the MG Car Club and over the last few yeas raced an extremely quick MGB GT V8 in Thoroughbreds, Heritage and some AMOC events.
My whole-hearted condolences to the family (Pam, Spencer and Russell).

Advertisement

#2 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:04

An e-mail from Pam with a fe more details for those interested:-

"On the 4/5th September Roy went to the Masters at Donington as an invited driver who had competed there in 1977 when the circuit first reopened.

After the great news only six weeks ago that Roy had again beaten this horrible disease he went for his PET scan at the Marsden on the 11th September to get him ready for the stem cell treatment.

On Sunday 19th Sept we took him to Hospital as he was in so much distress and were told the next day the results of the PET scan and that there was nothing more that could be done in the very short time he had left with us. The scan showed that the Lymphoma had ‘morphed’ I think they call it. It had recognised the chemo and ignored it and had spread up into his tummy at an alarming rate.

He came home from hospital on Thursday 24th September saying he couldn't go yet as he still had so much to do. He put his overalls on and went straight out into his garage and mended an electric starter that he had promised a friend he would do. The Motorhome was parked in the drive with its engine compartment stripped off and he had been in the middle of a service on it. He continued the service and Russell helped him and they went off and tested the improvements he had made to the carb. etc and when he was happy it was OK he came indoors. He had finished off a couple of loose ends.

Within a few days he was feeling very unpleasant but still chatted to anybody who called and when asked ‘How are you’ would reply ‘Upright Still’. He decided he would like to go to Snetterton but lost his strength so quickly as he couldn't eat or drink that by Monday 27th September the McMillan Nurses had started to come in daily and had fitted a pain pump.

He sent Russell and Spencer off to Snetterton to be there as he wanted to complete the end of his 40th Season of continuous racing with M.G.Car Club. He is so proud of them for going as they were so upset and Spencer managed to put his little V8 where he knew it should be. When the boys came home he watched all the videoing that had been done.

It was his wish to stay at home and I really tried to do this but by Tuesday 5th October he was suffering so badly he needed constant nursing and I was just so exhausted. He agreed to go into Princess Alice Hospice in Esher where he was heavily sedated and passed away yesterday 7th October with the boys and I by his side.

We are all so devastated as I know so many of you are, he was a wonderful Husband, Father, Grandad, Friend and above all a genuinely nice person.

We have arranged his funeral for Thursday 21st October at the Leatherhead Crematorium at 12.30 and of course it would only be appropriate for him to go off and test the claims of his Nomex.

Randalls Park Crematorium
Randalls Road
Leatherhead
Surrey KT22 0AG

The Crematorium holds around 100 seated and standing with extra space outside. If you would like to bring floral tributes please do so but can you bring them back to the house as we have been told that flowers left at the Crematorium are eaten by the Deer that roam into the grounds at night. I would prefer to look at them in the garden rather than they be spoiled. If you would prefer to give a donation, the Hospice where Roy spent his last few days is exceptional. Envelolpes will be available at the house if you would like to use them as Princess Alice Hospice in Esher say that envelopes with names on allows them to claim the 28% charity tax.

Pam McCarthy
"

#3 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:50

Extremely moving, Gregor.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:16

Extremely moving, Gregor.

Yes, indeed.
Roy was one of our "customers" when we were handicappers at the Bentley DC Silverstone and MGCC Silverstone and Brands race meetings, originally in an MGA then an MGB and later a BV8, latterly along with both sons.

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 21:23

RIP Roy McCarthy

#6 Muskrat

Muskrat

• 43 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:34

I'll miss racing him, but Pam and the Boys will miss him so so much more.... RIP Roy. Top Man.

#7 NanningF1fan

NanningF1fan

• 61 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36

I have many happy memories of watching Roy and his sons racing whilst I marshalled at MG meetings. He was always fast and competitive but scrupulously fair as a driver and always had a wave and a thank you for the marshals on his many victory laps.

People like Roy Mccarthy are the backbone of club racing and his passing will leave a gap that will be difficult to fill. However I am sure his sons will do their best.

R.I.P