Photo

the fastest driver at the moment? -pure speed

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyAK

sunnyAK

• 103 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:15

in my opinion the four fastest drivers are kubica, vettel, hamilton and alonso. i just mentioned them as the fastest, but without a specific order. i also think these four guys will be the drivers we can expect a lot of in the future. but also rosberg should be competitive, as he makes no mistakes.

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:31

Sebastian Vettel
Took pole for the eighth time this year and converted it into a win for only the second time.

#3 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:33

the fastest driver from the last race(s)

usually the guy driving the fastest car

f1 fans never look beyond that

#4 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,810 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:35

That bloke on here who came up the "Perfect Driving Line".

But in real life, I'd also for Vettel.

#5 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:36

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=136385

#6 sunnyAK

sunnyAK

• 103 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 23:48

well, i think you can see who is very fast without having the fastest car, or even a fast car. kubica doesn´t have the fastest car, but obviously belongs to the fastest drivers and is very talented. you could always see that webber is an awesome qualifyer (just like trulli) , although he didn´t have really fast cars, but vettel is even a better qualifyer which tells a lot about his speed, but he still makes too many mistakes. after i have seen the first four races of ayrton senna i knew how fast he was and he didn´t have a fast car in the beginning. you could also see that schumacher and hakkinen are very fast, when they started their career. i still remember that hakkinen out-qualified senna in his first race for mclaren when he replaced michael andretti who was on average one second slower than senna, with that said no fast car is needed to see who belongs to the fastest guys!

#7 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:15

I think Vettel is the fastest but am dying to see Kubica and Rosberg in WDC-capable cars.

#8 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:42

The fastest driver is a dynamic position that changes constantly. Mark Webber had the fastest lap in Suzuka but I'm sure he's not considered the fastest.

Edited by klyster, 12 October 2010 - 06:43.

#9 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:48

Yeah, maybe it should be fastest cars in the thread title? After all the fastest drivers will be those in the fastest cars. Button not usually considered a super fast driver wins the championship last year due to being in the fastest car for example, it actually makes you have a hard long look at F1 when the sport is car dependant and not really driver dependant, as they're all of similar skill believe it or not, put any one of them in the fastest car and it is likely they are the fastest driver on track.

Edited by intothepits, 12 October 2010 - 06:49.

#10 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:56

+1

well, i think you can see who is very fast without having the fastest car, or even a fast car. Kubica doesn´t have the fastest car

Prove it .......

Oh you can't. The Renault may be the fastest car out there, have we actually seen Kubica make a big mistake or some wild slideways moments to verify that he is pushing beyond the car? - we have seen Hamilton, Webber and Vettle do this though.

Does that mean Kubica is so awesome that he is the fastest and mistake free and the other 3 are wild drivers or are they the fastest willing to push 101% beyond bounds while Kubica is only willing to push 99%??

There is no answer to this question, it's in the too hard, too many variables basket.

But I say Hamilton when it comes to the crunch.

#11 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:05

What bothers me is this.

If Hamilton started his career in a back end car and not in the McLaren would he be held in such high regard as he is today?

The answer is likely no, how is F1 a fair sport, when it seems it's up to you to find yourself in a fast car, if you're not you're not going to get anywhere in F1.

Same goes for Vettel, what if during the time he was in F1 he was at a midfield team for example, his status wouldn't be as it is today.

The car is the driver's reputation unfortunately, but that's just the way it goes.

#12 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:17

I think Hamilton is the fastest.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:23

What bothers me is this.

If Hamilton started his career in a back end car and not in the McLaren would he be held in such high regard as he is today?

The answer is likely no, how is F1 a fair sport, when it seems it's up to you to find yourself in a fast car, if you're not you're not going to get anywhere in F1.

Same goes for Vettel, what if during the time he was in F1 he was at a midfield team for example, his status wouldn't be as it is today.

The car is the driver's reputation unfortunately, but that's just the way it goes.

Why not? It hasn't affected the way people view Senna, Alonso, Kimi etc. etc. As to Vettel, the Toro Rosso was only a midfield car, so not sure what your point is.

The fastest drivers will generally gravitate to the best teams. They can show their worth regardless of the car, and the teams can recognise when a driver is doing well even if the results don't always reflect it.

#14 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:24

vettel.

I know he has the fastest car but I'm pretty sure it will be proven when he has even or under powered cars in the future.

EDIT: fastest QUALIFIER. As to fastest driver in a race too close to call too many variables etc etc

Edited by goldenboy, 12 October 2010 - 07:25.

#15 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:28

Hamilton and Alonso.
Hamilton probably edges it, but Alonso achieves pure speed differently, certainly more consistantly, if that makes sense. The way he kept up with Button who had the superior set-up at Monza was breathtaking. Buttons quote at the end sums it up "jesus christ"

As for being in the faster car, you can measure Webber and Vetel by how well Alonso and Hamilton are holding on to them. I couldnt see vettel and webber hanging on so well to Hamilton and Alonso if they were in the Red Bulls.
Also, the better Fernando's cars get the less mistakes he seems to make.

#16 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:32

I think Vettel is the fastest but am dying to see Kubica and Rosberg in WDC-capable cars.

:up:

#17 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:35

What bothers me is this.

Yes
I think Lewis would be an even better driver if he had started with a lower team. You think he equalled Alonso in his first season, but he doesnt seem to have gained anymore over Alonso, they are still pretty even IMO.

Senna and hakkinen and Alonso made their names with early signs in lower teams and Mika took nearly 100 races for his first win yet that was never held against him although personally I think there have been much stronger eras than Mika v Michael

#18 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:41

i certainly think lewis would be regarded as a fast driver even in a lower team, he probably wouldnt have the same reputation though, but would get it eventually anyway.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:56

It's impossible to know for sure. Besides that it can easily change every race. So what MikeTekRacing says.

Advertisement

#20 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:00

Vettel.

#21 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:08

Hamilton and Alonso.
Hamilton probably edges it, but Alonso achieves pure speed differently, certainly more consistantly, if that makes sense. The way he kept up with Button who had the superior set-up at Monza was breathtaking. Buttons quote at the end sums it up "jesus christ"

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Sure. FA was faster in quali. He took a chunk out of the Mclaren's rear-end. He was faster after the pit stops. Don't let any of that spoil your fantasy though.

If I had to pick one it would be Vettel - if only because I've seen him edge out Webber who has himself put cars in unlikely grid positions over the years.

#22 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:13

Quick, look up in the sky, it's Santa!

#23 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:15

Raikkonen.

#24 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:22

Raikkonen.

:rolleyes:

Look at the title, obviously current F1 competing drivers or do I get to mention the driver of the Chinese Maglev train driver who drives at 400kmh daily?

#25 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:38

I think Hamilton and Kubica are the fastest in pure speed, they can make a dog of a car overperform its capabilities, and Vettel has also demonstrated being a very fast driver.

On the other hand, I don´t think Alonso is as fast in pure speed in one lap but it´s the best overall driver, he knows how to help his engineers develop a good car and he really shines when he feels he´s got full support from his team.

Regards

#26 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:44

Hamilton and Alonso are way ahead of the rest, kubica, webber etc.
if Hamilton or Alonso drove a Red Bull, they would be world champions by now

#27 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:49

:rolleyes:

Look at the title, obviously current F1 competing drivers or do I get to mention the driver of the Chinese Maglev train driver who drives at 400kmh daily?

Relax - he meant it as a joke at best or flame bait at worst.
But he was the fastest when he was in his F1 (non ferrari) days. :)

EDIT : Or are you upset that Kimi gets a mention while Schumi as a current driver doesnt . :);)

Edited by flyer121, 12 October 2010 - 08:50.

#28 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:52

Probably true. But not because their ultimate pace is better.

#29 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:58

Even during the ferrari days, he was the fastest and the most constant driver. In 2008, when his tyre was at good temp, he was always the fastest.

Raikkonen is the type of driver who can drive at 100 % without a mistake, he is unique.

Edited by Massa, 12 October 2010 - 09:07.

#30 eliteboy2780

eliteboy2780

• 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:32

That bloke on here who came up the "Perfect Driving Line".

But in real life, I'd also for Vettel.

Who cares about the best driver in f1, this linked thread above is the best thread I have ever read on here in about 8 years! (I know my current profile is 09 registered, but I have had to have many profiles because of lost passwords etc.)

The best thread!

#31 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:42

EDIT : Or are you upset that Kimi gets a mention while Schumi as a current driver doesnt . :);)

I nominated Hamilton as the fastest but don't let facts get in the way of your postings.

#32 Jim Warbic

Jim Warbic

• 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:49

Hamilton is the fastest out there but put both of them in the same team, a team like Redbull and it would be even more disastrous than their time at Mclaren.
If Alonso was in Webber's shoes there would of been an FIA inspector in the garage since Turkey :lol:

#33 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:00

Hamilton is the fastest out there but put both of them in the same team, a team like Redbull and it would be even more disastrous than their time at Mclaren.
If Alonso was in Webber's shoes there would of been an FIA inspector in the garage since Turkey :lol:

No the inspector has a new job working for michael schuamcher now :)

#34 Jim Warbic

Jim Warbic

• 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:02

No the inspector has a new job working for michael schuamcher now :)

Probably not much to inspect in the Mercedes garage other than a bunch of uneaten bananas.

#35 Onyemaechi

Onyemaechi

• 312 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:07

What bothers me is this.

Probably no. :rolleyes:
But if Hamilton had started his career beating a two time F1 champion... probably, Yes!  ;)
:kiss:

#36 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:21

I think Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel are the best, when it comes to pure speed...

#37 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:30

Sebastian Vettel
Took pole for the eighth time this year and converted it into a win for only the second time.

Less then 0.1 of a second between Webber and Vettel. It was obviously that Vettel was on pole due to the car and not Vettel his performance as his teammate was extremely close to him and could have taken pole if he went on the power a bit earlier in 1 corner. Webber has been awefully close to Vettel this season despite that the car was designed for Vettel.

Based on last race, I have to say Kubica. In his shitty Renault he outqualified Alonso in a superior Ferrari again. :drunk:

Edited by Simon Says, 12 October 2010 - 10:32.

#38 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:42

Hamilton.

He made example of Button this season in terms of pure speed, and he showed better pace even than Alonso in 2007. in same car. Unfortunately for us McLaren fans he tends to do silly and costly mistakes like this years Monza (no matter all the car problems - with only 3rd place in Monza which was definitely doable, Hamilton would still be a fierce title competitor and 2nd in WDC standings).

#39 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:56

Even during the ferrari days, he was the fastest and the most constant driver. In 2008, when his tyre was at good temp, he was always the fastest.

Raikkonen is the type of driver who can drive at 100 % without a mistake, he is unique.

And yet not a current driver. Pick another.

Advertisement

#40 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:58

Alonso by all means ! :up:

#41 Infinityl

Infinityl

• 180 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:01

Less then 0.1 of a second between Webber and Vettel. It was obviously that Vettel was on pole due to the car and not Vettel his performance as his teammate was extremely close to him and could have taken pole if he went on the power a bit earlier in 1 corner. Webber has been awefully close to Vettel this season despite that the car was designed for Vettel.

Based on last race, I have to say Kubica. In his shitty Renault he outqualified Alonso in a superior Ferrari again. :drunk:

Yes, but if you based on last two races, Alonso is the best one, because he outqualified Vettel and Webber with a very superior RB.

And more, if you only based on last race, seeing friday, saturday and sunday ... i dont know why you think Ferrari was superior to Renault.

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:10

It's always difficult to say who's the fastest driver because not only they're all driving different cars where some are slower than others, some cars are easier to run close to their limits than others. And then there's stuff like a driver being bloody quick in an understeering car but not as much in an oversteering car, when his rival is the opposite. So in a series like F1 "fastest" is subjective.

And then even in series where everyone's given the same cars, hell even in series where there's fixed setups, sometimes it's not the same guy who's fastest every race. Performance changes through form and all other sorts of variables. Humans are not machines, they do not react the exact same way every single time.

That being said, some drivers are fastest than others, or at least tend to be so during the vast majority of the races. Some people are just more talented than others, more naturally, effortlessly precise, and others have stronger willpower and determination to put extra effort into their drives.

Sometimes there's a guy that excells in superior pace and is clearly the quickest in F1, as we've seen in recent eras with Michael Schumacher in the late 90s/early 00s, and Ayrton Senna before him. Right now the situation is a bit different and there's no clear superquicker driver. Hamilton is the closest thing, and my hunch is that he's the quickest in most races in a year. So he'd be my vote for "fastest driver". But from my long-term observation of how all of these guys stack up against each other I do think that Vettel and Alonso are bloody quick too and will also often have the top performances, and maybe Kubica too, although it's harder to judge him and my hunch is that on pace he trails slightly. And then ocasionally, on very rare situations, you'll have other random good drivers being the quickest driver of the day, such as Mark Webber last year on the Nurburgring.

And that's all only about peak pace, other things are important to win races, points and championships, such as racecraft, concentration and consistency. Vettel for example seems lacking in racecraft and concentration, whereas that's where Kubica excels and Heidfeld (who's a slower driver) is absolutely fantastic. But pace is the key aspect that matters the most.

#43 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:21

What bothers me is this.

Professional teams recognised both Hamilton's and Vettel's talent at an early age, they DESERVE to be in top cars because they are good enough. Not just any driver can get in a top drive and win a championship or lots of races, Heikki for example was pants at Mclaren.

Why should the best drivers first have to prove themselves in rubbish cars when they are already good enough to mix it with the best of the field?

Mclaren new Hamilton was the real deal, Hamilton earned his seat at Mclaren and set the world alight instantly. What Hamilton accomplished in his debut season was nothing short of incredible. He beat a 2 time WDC, I would say that proves he is good enough!

#44 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:24

paranoik0, good post as usual :up:

Edited by thuGG, 12 October 2010 - 11:24.

#45 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:26

I nominated Hamilton as the fastest but don't let facts get in the way of your postings.

Chill man I feel the same anguish when people do not rate Kimi higher and sometimes (hilariously) do not include him at all.
But I do find it funny myself that Schumi is not there on the list.

I would ve picked Kimster but following the thread rule - SebVet it is.

Edited by flyer121, 12 October 2010 - 11:29.

#46 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:20

What bothers me is this.

Your logic is faulty. They deserved their place by their preformances and results in pre-F1. With your logic I could say, 'well how do you know that I'm not better driver than Schumacher? I never had chance to prove myself.' It's a faulty logic. You don't accidentaly make it to the top of class car.

#47 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:18

Over a single lap, Lewis Hamilton. Over a race distance, Fernando Alonso.

#48 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:20

Chill man I feel the same anguish when people do not rate Kimi higher and sometimes (hilariously) do not include him at all.
But I do find it funny myself that Schumi is not there on the list.

I would ve picked Kimster but following the thread rule - SebVet it is.

Kimi is not an F1 driver, he is a rally driver. Get over it!

#49 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:27

Kimi is not an F1 driver, he is a rally driver. Get over it!

I chose Seb so what is your issue?

BTW - In my mind - Kimi will always be an F1 driver ... and the best ever :)

#50 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 13:30

I chose Seb so what is your issue?

BTW - In my mind - Kimi will always be an F1 driver ... and the best ever :)

Nice, but your mind isn't reality, so don't talk about Kimi as if he was an F1 driver :up: